Transfer Tweets - 2022/23 | Check the OP for the latest rules and blacklisted sources before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Huge credit to @mazhar13 for writing out the below including a new tier list.

Anyone not following the rules will be warned and eventually perma banned from the thread.

DON'T

• Post a non-English Tweet without a basic translation (either from another Tweet or in the post itself). Suggested translators: Google Translate, DeepL, Reverso
  • Post anything from aggregator accounts (utdreport, Transfer News Live, etc.) without the original source (as a Tweet, link, embed, image, or a reference to a TV/radio show).
  • Post anything from aggregator accounts who don't refer to the original source and tend to make stuff up for retweets/follows. Example, Proof
  • Post a comment referring to a rumour/report without a Tweet (e.g. "I've read multiple reports about United being linked to Haaland. If true...")
  • Post the full article verbatim from a Tweet. Provide a bullet-point summary instead.
  • Post anything that was tweeted more than three days ago. If it wasn't posted before then, nobody cares.
  • Post duplicate Tweets
  • Use the thread to moan (about the Tweets, United's targets, other teams' targets compared to United's, moaners, etc.).
  • Post off-topic comments or hold extended discussions over a single Tweet (that span multiple pages). Create a new thread instead.
  • Post more than 3 Tweets per post. We highly encourage only 2 max.
  • Post the following types of Tweets (post them in quotes/spoilers to avoid putting them into the feed)
    • Joke/Piss-take Tweets
    • Tweets that don't refer to a transfer story (e.g. a journalist posting their own opinions; example)
    • Tweets that refer to agent changes (without referring to the player's future), team ownership updates, or financial analyses (a transfer budget is enough info)
  • Post a Tweet from a banned source (see below for the banned sources) unless they have held an interview with a player
    • Also, don't post a Tweet from an aggregator that refers to a Tier 4 source or below, same exception as above applies
The Caf now has its own pair of tier lists (one for United sources, and one for everything else). You can find them here. For your convenience, here is the United tier list (as of 29th May 2022):
TierSource (Individual)Source (Media Outlet)
Tier 0 - Official SourcesAny player or staff member's social media accountManchester United (@ManUtd)
Premier League (@PremierLeague)
Any other club or league's Twitter account on United transfers
Tier 1 - Best unofficial sources; very rarely wrong;
not speculative
David Ornstein (@David_Ornstein)
Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano)
Simon Stone (@sistoney67)
Laurie Whitwell (@lauriewhitwell)
Simon Peach (@SimonPeach)
James Ducker (@TelegraphDucker)
Jonathan Shrager (@JonathanShrager)
Andy Mitten (@AndyMitten)
Paul Hirst (@HirstClass)
Adam Crafton (@AdamCrafton_)
Craig Norwood (@CraigNorwood) - very rarely posts about transfers nowadays
Dan Sheldon (@dansheldonsport) - currently Southampton's reporter but will become a Manchester clubs' reporter in future
The Athletic (@TheAthleticUK)
BBC Sport (@BBCSport) - Paper Talk/Gossip Column is Tier 5
PA Sport (@pasport)
Tier 2 - Good sources but occasionally speculativeSamuel Luckhurst (@samuelluckhurst)
Rob Dawson (@RobDawsonESPN)
Jamie Jackson (@JamieJackson___)
Rich Fay (@RichFay)
Charlotte Duncker (@CharDuncker)
Naveen Ullal (@UllalIBT) - Only for exclusive Sport Witness news)
Telegraph Football (@TeleFootball)
Guardian Sport (@guardian_sport)
Sport Witness (@Sport_Witness) - Only for exclusive news
Times Sport (@TimesSport)
Tier 3 - Possibly speculative (50/50); needs to be corroborated by more reliable sourcesDavid McDonnell (@DiscoMirror)
Tyrone Marshall (@TyMarshall_MEN)
Neil Custis (@ncustisTheSun)
Phil Brown (@Malachians) - Doesn't post about United that much but still does from time to time
Tier 4 - Speculative; rarely on the right trackMark Ogden (@MarkOgden_)
Alex Shaw (@AlexShawESPN)
Graeme Bailey (@GraemeBailey)
Steve Bates (@sbates_people)
Simon Mullock (@MullockSMirror)
Chris Wheeler (@ChrisWheelerDM)
Dharmesh Sheth (@skysports_sheth)
Sky Sports England - Paper Talk is Tier 5
Tier 5 - So speculative that they may as well be guessing; aggregators; should be bannedJames Robson (@jamesrobsonES)
Miguel Delaney (@MiguelDelaney)
Mark Goldbridge (@markgoldbridge)
Stephen Howson (@MrStephenHowson)
Chris Winterburn (@cmwinterburn)
The Sun
Daily Mail
Express
Standard
CaughtOffside
Metro
90min.com
Daily Star
Mirror
Goal
Manchester Evening News
talkSPORT
Independent
Bleacher Report
Football365

All Tweets from Tier 5 sources are banned. This includes Tweets from aggregators that refer to those sources.

Rules of thumb:
  • Article with no authour = typically unreliable (exception: journalist websites like gianlucadimarzio.com)
  • Treat Fabrizio Romano as both a source and aggregator.
Aggregators
Aggregators are Twitter accounts that collect news and reports from various media outlets and publish their summaries/key tidbits. They always refer to the source but often do not refer to the original article/news passage. They very rarely, if ever, post their own information; if they do, they prepend their Tweets with an "Exclusive:" or similar. Also, unfortunately, several aggregators (including some very popular ones) tend to alter the original info to either fit the content into a Tweet or sensationalise the original report. This is why it's imperative for everyone to provide the original source when posting anything from an aggregator. Aggregators also do not care about the quality of the source; they often publish Tweets containing info from unreliable sources.

Use the aggregators to either summarise the original source's info or translate the info from a non-English source. Basically, treat an aggregator like Wikipedia: use it to become more aware of what's going on in the football world, but recognise that it is not a reliable source of information.

What Kind of Tweets should I Post?
  • Only post Tweets that refer to the following:
    • Player or manager transfers
    • Transfer plans + any impacts to them
    • Transfer budgets + any impacts to them
  • For non-United Tweets, only the following clubs are accepted:
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Europa League
    • Europa Conference League
    • Note: Tweets about teams that were recently/are regularly in Europe but are not in this season are accepted
Any Tweets outside of the above will be removed, and you will be warned/banned for repeat offences.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

An absolutely shocking development that no one ever saw coming.

Nero

Tier 5 banned list sources are posted all the time.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Tier 5 banned list sources are posted all the time.
They're only a problem if they don't refer to any of the more reliable journalists. If an MEN Tweet refers to one of Luckhurst, Fay, or Marshall, then that's fine. The same goes for the Daily Mail referring to, say, Sami Mokbel or Adrian Kajumba. Tweets that don't name a journalist or refer to an unreliable one are disallowed.

Widow

I like GGFN, GFFN, and so on, but this is one example where I'd like to have a reference to the original source. In this case, either of these Tweets are acceptable as a source:
To be honest, I think I'll just stop posting them. I see many bad sources being used but mine get pulled up often (even though I check every Tweet before posting either from the list or by asking you directly).

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
To be honest, I think I'll just stop posting them. I see many bad sources being used but mine get pulled up often (even though I check every Tweet before posting either from the list or by asking you directly).
Always found the policing very bizarre. This is the internet who really cares?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That happened in the past, but the modmins want better quality from the Transfer Tweets thread/feed this time around. I don't even have an issue with the Tweets that you post for the most part. You're one of the better contributors around here. In general, though, I'd like all of us (myself included) to be more careful with the aggregators in general (including the better ones like Sport Witness). From my experiences, the better ones have occasionally provided the wrong links to their sources or put up translations that may not necessarily represent what is truly being said (Reshad Rahman is a notable recent example of this). By having the original source, at least we can all see what is truly said.

Ideally, we'd have more aggregators that link to the sources like Sport Witness or Bundesliga Latest, but oh well. That's why we all need to do our due diligence when looking up Tweets/articles from the aggregators.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Always found the policing very bizarre. This is the internet who really cares?
Because the Internet is prone to spreading fake news around like wildfire (see the Ndicka to United rumours). Opinions are one thing, but information is a whole other matter on the Internet.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
This is being reported by many sources. If the money figures are real it might be feasible. It would be a relief for Chelsea. Lukaku has fired his agent and has a lawyer representing him in the Negotiations with Inter. Beside the salary being lowered, the money being discussed is 2 year loan with Chelsea wanting a obligation to buy at the end for €50M. I tried to find an original source with a high rating, included in the tweet is the high moon rating of the source. Pretty significant news for Chelsea if it pans out.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Source:

Other bits of info:
  • Betis don't want to change their squad up too much, so don't expect them to sign too many players.
  • Cordón also mentions that selling players before June 30 will be difficult (note: this is for La Liga's own FFP; the better the finances look, the more the club can spend).
    • In Betis's case, they need to sell more players to improve their overall cash flows & finances.
  • Both Joel Robles and Cristian Tello will leave Real Betis.
  • Diego Lainez can be loaned out.
  • No news on the following:
    • Marc Bartra & William Carvalho contract renewals
    • Offers from other clubs for Guido Rodriguez

Varun1

Post anything from aggregator accounts (utdreport, Transfer News Live, etc.) without the original source (as a Tweet, link, embed, image, or a reference to a TV/radio show).
Agree that the original source should be linked but what is the point of posting the aggregator then? Why not just post the orignal?

I found that this along with the 100s of tweets on Dembele, Lewa, Mbappe etc, that didn't offer anything new were hogging the old thread. Other examples would be the Kounde and Tchouameni tweets, they offered nothing new except informing us over and over that Chelsea and Real were interested.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This is being reported by many sources. If the money figures are real it might be feasible. It would be a relief for Chelsea. Lukaku has fired his agent and has a lawyer representing him in the Negotiations with Inter. Beside the salary being lowered, the money being discussed is 2 year loan with Chelsea wanting a obligation to buy at the end for €50M. I tried to find an original source with a high rating, included in the tweet is the high moon rating of the source. Pretty significant news for Chelsea if it pans out.

Best to cut your losses probably.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Why not just post the orignal?
The original typically has one or both of the following issues:
  • It's not in English
  • It's not provided in a Tweet (i.e. it's on a newspaper, TV, radio show, podcast, etc.)

Providing a Tweet from the aggregator gives people who frequent the feed a quick snippet of info. They are also useful in providing a summary of the original report. The only time I'd expect to see an aggregator's Tweet in isolation is if the original content isn't on Twitter in any form.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

From what I've found, the only Italian outlets reporting on this are both Corriere della Sera (referred to in the Tweet) and Gazzetta dello Sport (same owner as the former). I've seen lots of speculation from these two outlets in the past, so I'm waiting to see if the other outlets report on this.

I've yet to see where the particular terms of the deal are being reported. I've found an online article from Corriere della Sera that refers to the reduced salary demands and a possible loan spell, but I've yet to find anything about a 2-year loan with a purchase option at the end.

EDIT: Widow already posted something about this in the previous Transfer Tweets thread from GIFN, and even their article doesn't mention anything about a possible 2-year deal with a purchase option at the end.

Last edited:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
From what I've found, the only Italian outlets reporting on this are both Corriere della Sera (referred to in the Tweet) and Gazzetta dello Sport (same owner as the former). I've seen lots of speculation from these two outlets in the past, so I'm waiting to see if the other outlets report on this.

I've yet to see where the particular terms of the deal are being reported. I've found an online article from Corriere della Sera that refers to the reduced salary demands and a possible loan spell, but I've yet to find anything about a 2-year loan with a purchase option at the end.
I believe the numbers are coming from an article from Gazzetta del Sport that laid out what would have to happen for the deal to benefit both sides. Since the time of that article two things have happened exactly the way it was laid out, Lukaku firing his agent and Lukaku dealing directly with Inter and Chelsea with a lawyer.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I believe the numbers are coming from an article from Gazzetta del Sport that laid out what would have to happen for the deal to benefit both sides. Since the time of that article two things have happened exactly the way it was laid out, Lukaku firing his agent and Lukaku dealing directly with Inter and Chelsea with a lawyer.
The lawyer firing news is coming from CaughtOffside, and they're reporting it as their own exclusive. I don't see any other outlet reporting on this for now. That also came after Gazzetta reported on Lukaku using a lawyer to represent him and working together with Pastorello to resolve this for the time being.

Varun1

The original typically has one or both of the following issues:
  • It's not in English
  • It's not provided in a Tweet (i.e. it's on a newspaper, TV, radio show, podcast, etc.)

Providing a Tweet from the aggregator gives people who frequent the feed a quick snippet of info. They are also useful in providing a summary of the original report. The only time I'd expect to see an aggregator's Tweet in isolation is if the original content isn't on Twitter in any form.
Aren't both scenarios covered in the Op: if it's not in English then provide a translation? If it's a TV/radio show or newspaper then the aggregator has to make reference to them, so there's only ever going to one tweet about it.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The lawyer firing news is coming from CaughtOffside, and they're reporting it as their own exclusive. I don't see any other outlet reporting on this for now. That also came after Gazzetta reported on Lukaku using a lawyer to represent him and working together with Pastorello to resolve this for the time being.
This is from a month ago and it seems to be following just as described, even down to the detail it would need to be an obligation to buy, not an option. Not sure how CaughtOffSide could claim exclusive, unless they were the ones to speak to the lawyer after it actually took place?

https://www.besoccer.com/new/amp/in...ukaku-is-a-loan-with-an-option-to-buy-1124436

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The tone is changing. Pini Zahavi is making Bayern understand the reasons for Lewa, who wants to go to Barça. Respect, education, sanity. The German club now values the farewell, although it [still] asks for more than the 40 million € offered by the Blaugrana club.

Bayern is already thinking about the future: negotiations underway for Sadio Mané, for 30+10 million Euros. Three year guaranteed contract. The parties are close.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This is from a month ago and it seems to be following just as described, even down to the detail it would need to be an obligation to buy, not an option. Not sure how CaughtOffSide could claim exclusive, unless they were the ones to speak to the lawyer after it actually took place?

https://www.besoccer.com/new/amp/in...ukaku-is-a-loan-with-an-option-to-buy-1124436
That article from a month ago states that Lukaku was considering an agent change. For this whole period of time, Gazzetta were the only ones reporting on this. There was nothing from any of Rai Sport, Sky Sport Italy, or Gianluca di Marzio. The only exception has been Alfredo Pedullà, who sent out this Tweet in response to this morning's reports (that, too, after a month):
Lukaku does not want agents next to him, at most consultants or lawyers. As anticipated on 13 May, he has distanced himself from Pastorello. A return to Inter? Only on loan and at 7 million [Euros] wages (half). In practice they [i.e. Chelsea] would almost have to give him away.
His numbers slightly differ from Gazzetta, so we'll see how this develops.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I've seen aggregator tweets quote a source and then completely misinterpret what it said or even just abused a journo's name to make stuff up.
You should make sure you've checked the source and if you have you should say so in your post or use a better source.
If we'd all just copy mediocre aggregators and not use the tier list, this thread wouldn't be more useful than a twitter feed subscribed to a bunch of a random aggregators.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Agree that the original source should be linked but what is the point of posting the aggregator then? Why not just post the orignal?
Sometimes the original source isn't available in a tweet form. It could be a written/televised interview.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Aren't both scenarios covered in the Op: if it's not in English then provide a translation? If it's a TV/radio show or newspaper then the aggregator has to make reference to them, so there's only ever going to one tweet about it.
I forgot to answer this earlier, but whilst people can provide the translation in the post, getting it from an aggregator means that one can pay more attention to what the Tweet reports instead of just ignoring it. Lots of Caf users still look at just the feed and don't necessarily get involved in this thread.

On the latter part, the aggregator very, very rarely (if ever) refers to an actual TV/radio show or podcast episode; they just refer to the journalist who made a statement or the outlet that hosts the show. Going back to the Oriol Domenech example, none of the aggregators (even one of the best ones in Reshad Rahman) ever cited the show or podcast that Oriol Domenech was a part of. It took another day until we got some clarity over the original statements from Domenech. That's what we should avoid when posting any info from aggregators.

Withnail

Chelsea got shafted on that Lukaku deal :lol:

Tiber

Wasn't Lukaku supposed to return to Chelsea in triumph and prove all the United fans who doubted him wrong?

It's beyond crazy that we never signed a replacement, but Ole was right to sell him.

Kaushal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.