Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sounds like Murtough thinks it’s almost “job done”

In other words, we left things so late, and were so ill-prepared for the summer window despite ample time to get into position that we ended up overpaying for a few targets owing both to people like myself learning on the job and the owners eventually expanding the budget due to external pressures having originally set an obviously too limited a budget for what was needed, but we all managed to have a good laugh about it later.

JB7

In the interests of fairness, I'd have been surprised if were planning to go out and sign 5 players to slot straight into the first eleven in any of the upcoming windows.

Of course, the best way to improve while spending less money is to scout more thoroughly and to be more proactive with relation to players towards the end of their contracts at their current clubs, so hopefully that is part of the restructuring of the club's recruitment towards next summer.

pascell

Foresight, something we haven't had in a long while and something we clearly still don't have.

Murtough is not qualified for the position he holds.

I actually thought the club would have undertaken an internal review of the summer transfer window and deemed it to have been a poor window, which it was. We overspent on every signing we made and getting players out the door whether permanent or loans, was a travesty again.

We need to really straighten out the recruitment side of the club because it's an embarrassment, it has been for the past 10 years.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Why are people moaning about lack of spending in January weeks after we spent 220m fecking quid in the summer? We spent over 100m last year and had the highest wage bill in PL history at a crazy 383m per year - and we’ve just posted 120m losses. And we have less revenues this year without CL. No shit there’s no money in January. The amount of money we spend is not and has never been the issue. We spend absurd amounts. We absolutely do not spend it smartly though.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Why are people moaning about lack of spending in January weeks after we spent 220m fecking quid in the summer? We spent over 100m last year and had the highest wage bill in PL history at a crazy 383m per year - and we’ve just posted 120m losses. And we have less revenues this year without CL. No shit there’s no money in January. The amount of money we spend is not and has never been the issue. We spend absurd amounts. We absolutely do not spend it smartly though.
We could spend another 1 billion and people would moan. Its kind of our thing

Dannn411

They clearly spent over budget this summer and are reluctant to release any more for the future. Sigh. The timing of this stadium development has really screwed us given the amount of investment that is still required to get us back to the CL. This team as currently constructed cannot withstand 2-3 years of relative transfer inactivity (which will be the case once the work on the stadium begins.)

Marcelinho87

Murtough is right, we can't spend to that level every window, it's absurd.

Some of the players will buckle up and work under EtH, look at McTominay... Bring in a few over the next couple of windows, sure. But don't expect 5/6 per window, it's not normal.

90 + 5min

Football Manager generation.

We have spent so much money that it is absurd. Just as you said. We have spent them so wrong and mostly, we overpay pretty much every player. To pay for Antony or Sancho that kind of money is stupid when you can find equal talent for 1/3 of it. I hope that they really are worth that money in longer run but I don't like the odds. And don't get me started on DeMaria, Pogba and those previous "big" transfers. We just need to be smart and buy right players. Better to buy hardworking players like Valencia or Park instead of overated players like those mentioned and lot more.

Rauður Djöfull

Not very encouraging

There are stille players to replace and positions to fill and as it stands now we are at least looking at De Gea and Ronaldo leaving for free next summer

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
We still need a striker, a midfielder and a full back at the very least in the next window. Potentially a De Gea replacement.

That wont be Jan of course, but if we don't get that at a minimum next summer then I don't see how we compete at anywhere near the highest level.

So there is most certainly a need to add 4 players next year.

ForeverRed1

We still need a striker, a midfielder and a full back at the very least in the next window. Potentially a De Gea replacement.

That wont be Jan of course, but if we don't get that at a minimum next summer then I don't see how we compete at anywhere near the highest level.

So there is most certainly a need to add 4 players next year.
yes that’s why we need to start being smarter in the transfer windows. Not all good signings need to cost 50mil plus. Eriksen and malacia cost a combined fee of 17million euros. Smart business, we need more of these signings across the board. We should be looking at young up and coming/free transfers/ players near end of contract.

having a team full of only expensive signings with massive levels of expectation on their shoulders doesn’t work at a club like this. Too much pressure as it is with this shirt without the price tag on top. Not saying you can’t go out and buy pricey players but it doesn’t have to only be that way. I think it’s part of the reason we have been so terrible, just spending ridiculous amounts of money on players that don’t necessarily fit a system or plan. Individuals and expecting them to be world beaters because they cost a lot and come with a reputation, then when it doesn’t work out they are laughed at and ridiculed (maguire is perfect example)

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Football Manager generation.

We have spent so much money that it is absurd. Just as you said. We have spent them so wrong and mostly, we overpay pretty much every player. To pay for Antony or Sancho that kind of money is stupid when you can find equal talent for 1/3 of it. I hope that they really are worth that money in longer run but I don't like the odds. And don't get me started on DeMaria, Pogba and those previous "big" transfers. We just need to be smart and buy right players. Better to buy hardworking players like Valencia or Park instead of overated players like those mentioned and lot more.
I'd be delighted with more players of the profile of Malacia.

The key is, as you say, spending money the right way. Yes we spent big on the likes of Rio, Rooney etc etc. But we also brought in Vidic and Evra for reasonable fees and they went on to be absolutely ridiculous. Imagine what those two might fetch in their mid 20s these days?

As ETH has said over and over its about getting the right fit. It's obvious that we are nowhere near where we need to be in personnel....but the time for that is probably the summer unless something utterly ridiculous becomes available.

lysglimt

Scout
He does say "the same level of activity" - and I dont think anyone expects 6 players for £200 million anytime soon. If we get in 3-4 quality players we should be up there .it's not like we need 6 more players right now

lysglimt

Scout
I'd be delighted with more players of the profile of Malacia.

The key is, as you say, spending money the right way. Yes we spent big on the likes of Rio, Rooney etc etc. But we also brought in Vidic and Evra for reasonable fees and they went on to be absolutely ridiculous. Imagine what those two might fetch in their mid 20s these days?

As ETH has said over and over its about getting the right fit. It's obvious that we are nowhere near where we need to be in personnel....but the time for that is probably the summer unless something utterly ridiculous becomes available.
Not to mention Park for £4.5 million almost 20 years ago, or Irwin and Schmeichel for a combined fee of £1.2 million - about half of what we paid for Pallister the season before

wolvored

It could be looked at they will revert to maybe 1 in jan and 3 in the summer. They wont bring in 5 and over £200 mill, JM has made that clear, but I am confident, maybe foolishly, that we will get ch lge football next season, so the purse wont be completely closed.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Not to mention Park for £4.5 million almost 20 years ago, or Irwin and Schmeichel for a combined fee of £1.2 million - about half of what we paid for Pallister the season before
Imagine paying 4.5 million for Park while Barça paid only about 1 million for Cruijff...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@Sassy Colin Some United news for you:

Barcelona, Juventus, Atletico Madrid, AC Milan, and Roma are all monitoring Dalot. Reminder: Dalot's in the last year of his contract, but his contract has a 1-year option to it.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
@Sassy Colin Some United news for you:

Barcelona, Juventus, Atletico Madrid, AC Milan, and Roma are all monitoring Dalot. Reminder: Dalot's in the last year of his contract, but his contract has a 1-year option to it.
It's also been widely reported that we are looking for a De Gea replacement, yet you post about Chelsea looking for another goalkeeper.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It's also been widely reported that we are looking for a De Gea replacement, yet you post about Chelsea looking for another goalkeeper.
Nope, I posted about Chelsea putting themselves in the Bellingham race; the GK situation is secondary to it but was also covered by Matt Law in the same article, hence why I posted the Tweet that referred to the GK situation as well.

The reports about de Gea's replacement are all based on this (Tier 1):

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Source (Tier 3): Jornal de Notícias

• PSG are also interested.
  • Both PSG and United have given signs that they may make a move in January.
  • United aren't as advanced as PSG, but they've certainly shown their interest.
  • PSG will consider a sale at an offer greater than €40m, which both United and PSG are open to.

Status
Not open for further replies.