Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Can't fault how we've handled the last two windows.

I wonder if we're still firmly focused on De Jong for the 'younger midfielder' role.
Yeah looks that way to me because has that unique dribbling and progressive passing which many don't. Problem is they don't look as open to selling him this summer and he doesn't seeming willing to push for move like others.

Lynty

Yeah looks that way to me because has that unique dribbling and progressive passing which many don't. Problem is they don't look as open to selling him this summer and he doesn't seeming willing to push for move like others.
Do we know if his pay issue has been resolved? I wouldn't be pushing for a move either until I got my money paid in full.

ShoePolish

"United plan to welcome a new goalkeeper, a younger midfielder and a striker in the summer as permanent arrivals. Bankrolling inflated deals for imperfect options would have been senseless."
I'd say CB is more pressing than GK. With Maguire possibly out, and Varane not being reliable to stay injury free, that would leave us with Martinez, Lindelof, Bailly and Tuanzebe as our 4 CBs in worst case scenario.
De gea has contract until 2024, and if he ain't resigning, I don't think he's moving, because with those wages, we are not shifting him anywhere, so might as well stick with him and prioritize elsewhere.

croadyman

Do we know if his pay issue has been resolved? I wouldn't be pushing for a move either until I got my money paid in full.
Still can't decide if that's having any influence on his decision,more that Mikky loves the Spanish lifestyle and wears the trousers

croadyman

I'd say CB is more pressing than GK. With Maguire possibly out, and Varane not being reliable to stay injury free, that would leave us with Martinez, Lindelof, Bailly and Tuanzebe as our 4 CBs in worst case scenario.
De gea has contract until 2024, and if he ain't resigning, I don't think he's moving, because with those wages, we are not shifting him anywhere, so might as well stick with him and prioritize elsewhere.
Potentially could pick up Skriniar/N'dicka as free agents in the summer (whoever fits what we need). I like this Min-Jae guy but feel we need to spent majority on progressive CM and top ST.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I have to disagree. The keeper is very important as far as evolving into a top level team with positional play principles. And I'm pretty confident ten Hag will know that by now.

I think we'll likely sign a CB aswell, because it does look like Maguire will move on and signing a younger replacement will not only fill the void left by Maguire it would potentially also work out to be cheaper if we take into account Maguire's wages and the transfer fee he will bring in.

ShoePolish

I have to disagree. The keeper is very important as far as evolving into a top level team with positional play principles. And I'm pretty confident ten Hag will know that by now.

I think we'll likely sign a CB aswell, because it does look like Maguire will move on and signing a younger replacement will not only fill the void left by Maguire it would potentially also work out to be cheaper if we take into account Maguire's wages and the transfer fee he will bring in.
Don't disagree that we need to move on from de Gea, just arguing if that's more pressing than our CB situation, because if we rely on one of Lindelof/Bailly/Tuanzebe to be a starter for good portion of the season, we might as well bin the season off. Perhaps you're right, and those 3 positions are what we allocate our budget for summer now, with CB money coming from possible Maguire sale.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Don't disagree that we need to move on from de Gea, just arguing if that's more pressing than our CB situation, because if we rely on one of Lindelof/Bailly/Tuanzebe to be a starter for good portion of the season, we might as well bin the season off. Perhaps you're right, and those 3 positions are what we allocate our budget for summer now, with CB money coming from possible Maguire sale.
I'll be honest with you and I'm probably in the minority here. I'd be prioritising a new keeper above all else. And that's because our head coach is Erik ten Hag and the build up play is extremely important in the first phase for him. And the keeper being a weakness in that area blunts the attack from the get go.

I do agree about signing a new CB and a potential Maguire sale should hopefully offset the cost.

croadyman

I'll be honest with you and I'm probably in the minority here. I'd be prioritising a new keeper above all else. And that's because our head coach is Erik ten Hag and the build up play is extremely important in the first phase for him. And the keeper being a weakness in that area blunts the attack from the get go.

I do agree about signing a new CB and a potential Maguire sale should hopefully offset the cost.
Surely not even over a top class number 9

Withnail

Yeah I think we outright need a CF, MF and arguably a GK. Then we need upgrades at CB and RB so we should be selling to find those players.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Pointless having good build up play if you don't have someone to finish the moves off.

croadyman

Yeah I think we outright need a CF, MF and arguably a GK. Then we need upgrades at CB and RB so we should be selling to find those players.
Would like to see us go for Raya as GK then allows us to spend majority on De Jong (if he actually wants to join which looks doubtful) and Osimhen/Kane.

RB is a tricky one for me and in terms of CB we could pick up N'dicka for free which I feel would be shrewd move.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Surely not even over a top class number 9
We need a keeper and midfielder who suit the way ten Hag wants to play through the phases. And it's extremely important for those players to be good under pressure and resist/bait the press. So having a keeper who is good with the ball and a midfielder who is strong against aggressive high pressure in the EPL is what will evolve the style ten Hag wants to implement. The midfielder has to be strong against a aggressive high press on the ball and be strong at containing managing defensive transitions in large spaces which is what the league currently demands imo.

A striker is also required, but for me it's keeper, midfielder and striker because the attack starts from the back. And we should be able to sign all three players in the same window.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Pointless having good build up play if you don't have someone to finish the moves off.
It's also pointless having a finisher if the build up is lacking in comparison to the competition. And the competition has far superior build up.

And the teams with the best build up have been the dominant forces in the league.

RORY65

It's also pointless having a finisher if the build up is lacking in comparison to the competition. And the competition has far superior build up.

And the teams with the best build up have been the dominant forces in the league.
Our current number 9 options are Wout Weghorst on loan and Anthony Martial who can't stay fit for 10 minutes. We absolutely need the other roles to be improved but at least we have decent, albeit maybe not elite, options there already. Our options at number 9 are arguably not even midtable standard, it has to be the priority this summer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Our current number 9 options are Wout Weghorst on loan and Anthony Martial who can't stay fit for 10 minutes. We absolutely need the other roles to be improved but at least we have decent, albeit maybe not elite, options there already. Our options at number 9 are arguably not even midtable standard, it has to be the priority this summer.
Our build up play hasn't been of the requisite standard for over a decade. And we can bring in the best striker in the world but unless we also improve the build up play In the first phase, we won't be able to control the offensive and defensive transitions.

Liverpool with Firminho, Arsenal with Nketia/Jesus and City without Haaland have shown that you don't need the best strikers if your build up play is elite. And all three teams have one thing in common, they developed their first phase play to a high level by signing new keepers, CBs and midfielders which enabled them to dominate both the defensive and offensive transitions, and create a high number of chances.

croadyman

We need a keeper and midfielder who suit the way ten Hag wants to play through the phases. And it's extremely important for those players to be good under pressure and resist/bait the press. So having a keeper who is good with the ball and a midfielder who is strong against aggressive high pressure in the EPL is what will evolve the style ten Hag wants to implement. The midfielder has to be strong against a aggressive high press on the ball and be strong at containing managing defensive transitions in large spaces which is what the league currently demands imo.

A striker is also required, but for me it's keeper, midfielder and striker because the attack starts from the back. And we should be able to sign all three players in the same window.
So who do you think fits our midfield needs

De Jong
Bellingham
Mac Allister

Smores

I'm not sure we're particularly lacking in setting ourselves up to create chances. Our issue seems to be what we do with those situations in the final third.

For instance we're in last place on shots inside the 18 yard box (excluding the 6 yard box). That speaks volumes to our limited attacking play. 40% of our shots are outside the box, ranked 4th with only Palace, Wolves, Forrest above us.

It's not a press resistant midfielder or GK that fixes that it's a top striker who can command where we want the ball. Until we have that we're going to continue to see speculative attempts with low success rates.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not sure we're particularly lacking in setting ourselves up to create chances. Our issue seems to be what we do with those situations in the final third.

For instance we're in last place on shots inside the 18 yard box (excluding the 6 yard box). That speaks volumes to our limited attacking play. 40% of our shots are outside the box, ranked 4th with only Palace, Wolves, Forrest above us.

It's not a press resistant midfielder or GK that fixes that it's a top striker who can command where we want the ball. Until we have that we're going to continue to see speculative attempts with low success rates.
Our final third issues are a direct result of us being unable to play a higher line and play the game in the opponent's half like City, Liverpool (in previous seasons) and Arsenal are doing this season. Those teams control both the offensive and defensive transition to a much higher level because they have players in the first phase (GK, CBs, FBs, mids) who are suited to controlling the game in possession and controlling the game without the ball by dominating larger spaces in defensive transition. And when you have the ability to strangle the opponent in such a way, there's going to be a lot of players waiting in the 18 yard box.

Not saying we don't need a striker, we do. But we should be able to sign a GK, Midfielder and striker in one window.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So who do you think fits our midfield needs

De Jong
Bellingham
Mac Allister
Frenkie de Jong would be fantastic potentially. But I hope we also sign a player like Caicedo alongside such a acquisition, because we will also need to control the game without the ball and Caicedo is showing a very high level in that regard and has shown a remarkable level under a concerted press, hence De Zerbi using him as a deep-lying playmaker, which is outlined below. We would need new owners for that to happen, though.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Frenkie de Jong would be fantastic potentially. But I hope we also sign a player like Caicedo alongside such a acquisition, because we will also need to control the game without the ball and Caicedo is showing a very high level in that regard and has shown a remarkable level under a concerted press, hence De Zerbi using him as a deep-lying playmaker, which is outlined below. We would need new owners for that to happen, though.

Good, United can pick him up in the summer then.

NotQuiteManc

Not surprising, but disappointing really. Talented but so unreliable, especially at the reported wages he is on.

Castia

Tier 2:

Key points:
Love it.

Following Pogba and Jesse are the rest of the mediocre shite we’ve overpaid for in recent years. Maguire especially will be gutted he always gave an impression that he was undroppable and now he’ll probably end up at Villa or West Ham. Lovely.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Love it.

Following Pogba and Jesse are the rest of the mediocre shite we’ve overpaid for in recent years. Maguire especially will be gutted he always gave an impression that he was undroppable and now he’ll probably end up at Villa or West Ham. Lovely.
Have a real dislike for this rhetoric, it’s disgusting.

NYAS

Football outside the PL is broke, and he’s not the type to give up his wages to play. We can “aim” to do whatever we want. The guy is staying until his contract is up next year, or going on loan with the same wages.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
All very well we're aiming to sell Martial but we might as well be aiming to sell Phil Jones. Who's going to take him injured? Even £20m would be a win at this point (and £10m or so a year wages).

Status
Not open for further replies.