Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
De Gea renewal and Sabitzer permanent deal seem to be wrong and premature respectively. I hope ETH doesn’t make the mistake of having too much faith in what he has. It’s bitten managers before

sparx99

De Gea renewal and Sabitzer permanent deal seem to be wrong and premature respectively. I hope ETH doesn’t make the mistake of having too much faith in what he has. It’s bitten managers before
How is the De Gea renewal premature? His contract expires in the summer unless we want to trigger a one year extension at his current wages. It’s well documented we are negotiating an extension on reduced terms.

Even if he’s not everybody’s ideal goalkeeper it would be madness to let him walk for nothing. Losing a £30-40m goalkeeper for free and then spending £50-60m on an unproven Diogo Costa is a massive gamble that I’m not sure we can even afford given our finances.

Tarrou

we haven’t signed Sabitzer though

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How is the De Gea renewal premature? His contract expires in the summer unless we want to trigger a one year extension at his current wages. It’s well documented we are negotiating an extension on reduced terms.

Even if he’s not everybody’s ideal goalkeeper it would be madness to let him walk for nothing. Losing a £30-40m goalkeeper for free and then spending £50-60m on an unproven Diogo Costa is a massive gamble that I’m not sure we can even afford given our finances.
Let him go. It wouldn’t be madness but the correct decision. He’s been a great for us but the fellow is a turnover machine. We will never be great at possession play with him starting and his wage cut is never going to be significant enough to justify a highly paid player who badly hurts the style of play.

Ramsdale was unproven too. It’s fine - you have to do these things to make the system work.

lysglimt

Scout
Let him go. It wouldn’t be madness but the correct decision. He’s been a great for us but the fellow is a turnover machine. We will never be great at possession play with him starting and his wage cut is never going to be significant enough to justify a highly paid player who badly hurts the style of play.

Ramsdale was unproven too. It’s fine - you have to do these things to make the system work.
Yes let's give away a very good goalkeeper and spend £50-60 million to replace him - especially when there are no goalkeepers available who is certain to be better. Especially when we have to spend almost twice as much in getting a world class striker.

sparx99

Ramsdale has very similar stats to De Gea even since moving to Arsenal. He was replacing Leno whose always been an average goalie.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Ten Hag when asked about Weghorst possibly staying on at United:
Of course [he could stay permanently] and I think he is doing a lot of elements of football [I like] - doing them really well. And he's doing a really good job for us. Pressing: he is the leader of the process in pressing, starts the press, very good in backward pressing. He is taking up positions, his link-up play he's doing really well. He is making good movements, making space for others, so he's also good in set-plays, so he is really contributing to this team. I think after Christmas we play 25 games and we lost two and he played almost all of the games so he is really part of the success.

Giggsyking

What elements? anything but a striker elements? You should buy someone who can do these elements and also can score when he is 1 v 1 with the keeper. He should not stay even as a sub.

BuzzKillington

I like Weghorst in some ways. Just not as a person who we pay money to, to play as a striker for Manchester United. Maybe something got lost in translation when we asked Erik to refresh the squad, we don’t need fresh deadwood.

Hopefully this is just kind words from Ten Hag to keep him motivated for the run in and the remainder of his time with us.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I like Weghorst in some ways. Just not as a person who we pay money to, to play as a striker for Manchester United. Maybe something got lost in translation when we asked Erik to refresh the squad, we don’t need fresh deadwood.

Hopefully this is just kind words from Ten Hag to keep him motivated for the run in and the remainder of his time with us.

Agreed. Not as if he’d say “Nah he hasn’t done enough at the moment” bla bla.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I actually think that he says it because he ment it and that he will keep him. Feels a bit Benitez-ish. Not a big fan of such a move.

That being said, we need to bring in two strikers this summer. Weghorst as a cheap backup is fair enough. A striker spend 97-98 percent of the game off the ball. And off the ball, Weghorst is really good. A bit more pace, and he would have been great. His link up and hold up, quite important to EtH, is also decent.

All in all, he is not as bad as quite a few make out. But he is not someone I hope will be playing 2000 minutes next year either.

TheReligion

Abusive
I actually think that he says it because he ment it and that he will keep him. Feels a bit Benitez-ish. Not a big fan of such a move.

That being said, we need to bring in two strikers this summer. Weghorst as a cheap backup is fair enough. A striker spend 97-98 percent of the game off the ball. And off the ball, Weghorst is really good. A bit more pace, and he would have been great. His link up and hold up, quite important to EtH, is also decent.

All in all, he is not as bad as quite a few make out. But he is not someone I hope will be playing 2000 minutes next year either.
I mean he was asked about him staying so I don’t really think he could say much else. Especially given we don’t want to ruin the players morale for the run in.

AndySmith1990

A forwards primary job is to score goals and Weghorst doesn't score goals. Ten Hag isn't a fool who is blind to this fact. But he's not going to air it in public

Crimson King

A forwards primary job is to score goals and Weghorst doesn't score goals. Ten Hag isn't a fool who is blind to this fact. But he's not going to air it in public
Exactly this. EtH wants to keep him motivated, not completely destroy his morale. It's the same with Sabitzer, although I can actually see him staying, depending on other moves in midfield.

With Wout, I can only see us signing him as a cheap plan B, but after a primary CF is signed. Even then, I'm doubtful we will actually keep him, and it seems much more likely we'd extend Martial to play that role. Not too fond of that idea either, as he's soooo injury prone now, but I can't see anyone wanting to sign him after a season where he's been missing so much. We could let his contract expire and wave him off... But keeping him would probably be cheaper than forking out for a backup CF, even if that's Wout.

Dannn411

Extending Weghorst would make me seriously question Ten Hag. We've never had a worse starting striker.

gajender

Extending Weghorst would make me seriously question Ten Hag. We've never had a worse starting striker.
Why person coming under scrutiny should be Murtough if that happens , Ten Hag should not be allowed to dictate transfer targets his input should be limited to profile of the player team needs nothing more .

Sid234

I dont get why people have a problem with Erik signing a player he wants. He's been managing him for the last 3 month, seen him playing in his system and feels he brings values to the team. So if he thinks Wout is someone who is "United Quality" then that's fine with me.

At the end of the day, its Erik's job on the line and we as fans should trust his decision making. I feel he has earned that considering what he has managed to do so far in his first season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I dont get why people have a problem with Erik signing a player he wants. He's been managing him for the last 3 month, seen him playing in his system and feels he brings values to the team. So if he thinks Wout is someone who is "United Quality" then that's fine with me.

At the end of the day, its Erik's job on the line and we as fans should trust his decision making. I feel he has earned that considering what he has managed to do so far in his first season.
I don't think people would mind if the player he wanted wasn't shit.

Sid234

I don't think people would mind if the player he wanted wasn't shit.
That's his call to make - if he thinks a "shit player" is what his squad needs, then that's his choice.

We should back Erik and the players regardless. Also, considering our season so far - I'd think he's earned that trust

Thiagoal

As a back up striker I’ve no issue signing Wout for say 5 million! He’s the sort of guy that loves being here, would happily sit on the bench and give 1000% whenever he gets minutes!

ti vu

ETH has been doing very well, but he's not earned the power to decide all the transfer. A well run club needs its DoF, and its recruitment team to have their input. Why? Because however good the manager is, he doesn't have the time to study all the players out there, especially someone like ETH a hand on manager working on the training pitch.

Hypothetically if ETH makes mistakes which would end up costing himself the job in the future, then he would leave the mess of his mistake for us to clean up just like previous managers. ETH may be building a more solid foundation than Mourinho LVG Ole, but he's not yet build our team as consistent big title contenders. This team ceiling is not exactly on different level. Winning League Cup or even adding EL and FA Cup this season is not high enough to position to start messing around. You look at Liverpool and you see how easy few mistakes can set a top teams back several level.

Perhaps expensive signings, the manager should have the final say because he has to put his job on the line. For cheap squad signing, I find it difficult to believe that it's that difficult for professional scouting team to find better forward than Weghorst.

As a back up striker I’ve no issue signing Wout for say 5 million! He’s the sort of guy that loves being here, would happily sit on the bench and give 1000% whenever he gets minutes!
We're not the one to decide the price. Burnley soon to be a PL club next season likely ask for more when they could ask 3mil already for half season loan. He has two more seasons on his contract. They're not exactly desperate to offload him. I meant they may as well use him as their back up forward. Difficult to get value with 5mil these days even bargain shopping from lower leagues.

Last edited:

Idxomer

Some decisions should be taken out of the manager's hands and that's one of them if he really wants to keep Weghorst.

Sid234

ETH has been doing very well, but he's not earned the power to decide all the transfer. A well run club needs its DoF, and its recruitment team to have their input. Why? Because however good the manager is, he doesn't have the time to study all the players out there, especially someone like ETH a hand on manager working on the training pitch.

Hypothetically if ETH makes mistakes which would end up costing himself the job in the future, then he would leave the mess of his mistake for us to clean up just like previous managers. ETH may be building a more solid foundation than Mourinho LVG Ole, but he's not yet build our team as consistent big title contenders. This team ceiling is not exactly on different level. Winning League Cup or even adding EL and FA Cup this season is high enough to position to start messing around. You look at Liverpool and you see how easy few mistakes can set a top teams back several level.

Perhaps expensive signings, the manager should have the final say because he has to put his job in line. For cheap squad signing, I find it difficult to believe that professional scouting team to find better forward than Weghorst.
For a relatively cheap squad striker, I think Ten Hag should have all the authority. It's not the >£50m signings alone who will define our season. Squad players are just as critical, and they need to be those who can align with his style, tactics and philosophy of play so when they get their minutes, they can do exactly what he needs from them.

Ten Hag should have final say for all signings. Also, if he really thinks Wout is going to be important to his squad next season, esp. after having trained him and seen him execute on his instructions/tactics in the PL and Europe - we should buy him regardless of what us fans think of his quality.

Mmm-Qatarian

To be honest, I wouldn't be massively averse to another loan Weghorst next season. Given that Martial can't be trusted to stay fit for an extended period of time, we'd be thin up front even if we manage to get one of Kane or Osimhen.

A lot of people are suggesting we go for Højlund or Ferguson on top of them and whilst I agree that this would be the dream scenario, it'd probably wipe out our transfer budget and we need more than just a few strikers this summer.

Of course, the primary difficulty here would be in convincing Burnley to extend his loan. I do wonder if we might be able to make it part of a deal for one of our own players though; Henderson, McTominay and Maguire would probably all be pretty astute signings for a newly promoted side looking to stay in the Premier League.

Mmm-Qatarian

I mean he was asked about him staying so I don’t really think he could say much else. Especially given we don’t want to ruin the players morale for the run in.
This also. I don't really get what fans think Ten Hag was meant to say here. "No, he's shite and there's no chance we'll be keeping him".

Even if the club knows categorically that we won't be keeping Weghorst around next summer, it makes sense to say publicly that we might look to keep him around so Weghorst himself will be motivated to apply himself to the fullest extent.

ti vu

For a relatively cheap squad striker, I think Ten Hag should have all the authority. It's not the >£50m signings alone who will define our season. Squad players are just as critical, and they need to be those who can align with his style, tactics and philosophy of play so when they get their minutes, they can do exactly what he needs from them.

Ten Hag should have final say for all signings. Also, if he really thinks Wout is going to be important to his squad next season, esp. after having trained him and seen him execute on his instructions/tactics in the PL and Europe - we should buy him regardless of what us fans think of his quality.
Disagree. There are just many players from the decent cheap pool. That's where the scouting team make their money for their profession from. Give them the profile, they would go find these cheap players that fit the profile, and even higher quality at that.

High profile players everyone aware of is where manager have to put his reputation on the line because you don't need scout to see the obvious quality. You don't wait around and lose these players to other clubs, but big money means big responsibility for the manager. Manager would have to do his own diligence (call and talk to the player in person) to make sure the player fit the team.

As for Weghorst, however well he has followed ETH's instruction, his lack of quality stood out even for many of average fans. Even Weghorst himself admitted his shortcoming in the post game interview after the second EURO qualifier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.