Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
£20M - are you still living in early 2000’s?
Errr how many players with a year left on their contracts are going for much more than £20m? Let alone players on the back of one of their worst seasons, who will demand high wages and who wants to leave?

Have you not seen the issues we’ve had trying to shift our players?

cyberman

Errr how many players with a year left on their contracts are going for much more than £20m? Let alone players on the back of one of their worst seasons, who will demand high wages and who wants to leave?

Liverpool did the same thing was Ox for 35 odd million with 6 months left in his contract (I think)

Steve Bruce

Improve who? Most players are beyond the point of salvaging. Those who could improve, improved. E.g. AwB.
I'm talking about if we signed a player like Mount. ETH has a history of signing players and improving them, it's not really breaking news.

Incidentally he's improved AWB, Dalot, Rashford, Shaw etc. All those players a lot of our fanbase would have got rid of last summer and yet all have been a big part of our season this season and have had better seasons than last season.

And also, who's to say AWB can't improve further? There's no rating above his head that say he has reached his full potential like football manager.

Dannn411

Tom Roddy and Paul Hirst (both Tier 2) suggested in their recent report that, whilst Chelsea want £70m, prospective suitors don't want to go higher than £47.5m (i.e. what Chelsea paid for Raheem Sterling when he had 1 year left in his City contract). Ben Jacobs (Tier 2) suggested something similar by reporting that prospective suitors value Mount at £15-20m less than what Chelsea are looking for.

Still wouldn't do it at this price. Max we should be paying is £25m-£30m and even that is a little steep too. He has one year left on his contract and is barely playing at Chelsea.

Nick7

We bought RVP for more than that over a decade ago.

Zoo

Raheem Sterling. And he’s a few years older.

cyberman

E
Mokbel has correctly called the Mount story.

Money is coming from somewhere.

Kane, Rice and Mount easily tops £250M
Seems El Pais or whatever they’re called were on the ball.
Saying that we should have a lot of money coming in from sales so 150m odd ffp plus over 100m in sales might just be the club operating on its own

TMS

Why the huge opposition to Mount? For £20m that would be terrific business. He's not had his best season (who has at Chelsea?), but he was a good performer for them in previous seasons and you're not going to get an England international midfielder of his ability at that price anywhere else. Would seem to fit in to our squad very well if we sell one of Fred/McTominay (my preference would be Fred but he's the less likely to get real interest) and would give Eriksen legitimate competition and rotation. With the added bonus of him allowing funds to be diverted elsewhere for a more marquee signing.

In
Mount £20-30m
Kim £40m
Kane £80-100m

Total £140-170m

Out
Henderson £25-30m
McTominay £30-40m
Elanga £15-20m
Other Dross £0-50m

Total £70-140m

Those dealings don't seem too unrealistic, and depending on how much of our dross we can get rid of it allows us to go after other positions such as GK, RB, and a backup CDM.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why the huge opposition to Mount? For £20m that would be terrific business. He's not had his best season (who has at Chelsea?), but he was a good performer for them in previous seasons and you're not going to get an England international midfielder of his ability at that price anywhere else. Would seem to fit in to our squad very well if we sell one of Fred/McTominay (my preference would be Fred but he's the less likely to get real interest) and would give Eriksen legitimate competition and rotation. With the added bonus of him allowing funds to be diverted elsewhere for a more marquee signing.

In
Mount £20-30m
Kim £40m
Kane £80-100m

Total £140-170m

Out
Henderson £25-30m
McTominay £30-40m
Elanga £15-20m
Other Dross £0-50m

Total £70-140m

Those dealings don't seem too unrealistic, and depending on how much of our dross we can get rid of it allows us to go after other positions such as GK, RB, and a backup CDM.
There is no universe where we get Mount for 20-30 million. It will be 40-50 million at least. But I don't think he would be the worst signing.

TMS

There is no universe where we get Mount for 20-30 million. It will be 40-50 million at least. But I don't think he would be the worst signing.
If Chelsea are asking for £55m and all the interested clubs are thinking closer to £15-20m then why doesn't £20-30m seem reasonable? Everyone knows Chelsea need to offload players to make their squad manageable and Mount doesn't seem interested in staying at this point, so Chelsea don't seem to have much of the leverage.

Dazzmondo

He's a reasonably young England international, if he'd had a good season he'd probably go for more. Though you're absolutely right - 55m isn't a bargain by any means, it's just not a rip-off (in my opinion).

Plus, I don't think it's fair to say he's had a terrible season - every single Chelsea player has had a terrible season, due to absolutely terrible management by Boehly. So sure, Mount had a poor season, but through any fault of his own.
It's definitely fair to say he's had a terrible season. Chelsea have been poor as a whole but he's been one of their worst performers and he absolutely is at fault for that too. It makes it harder to perform but a great player can still stand out even in a poor team. Not saying he can't get back to his previous levels but you're letting him off very easy. Also, frankly even at his best I wouldn't have been happy with us paying this money for him.

Nick7

If Chelsea are asking for £55m and all the interested clubs are thinking closer to £15-20m then why doesn't £20-30m seem reasonable? Everyone knows Chelsea need to offload players to make their squad manageable and Mount doesn't seem interested in staying at this point, so Chelsea don't seem to have much of the leverage.
Chelsea are asking for £70m. Interested clubs value him closer to £55m

Infra-red

In
Mount £20-30m
Kim £40m
Kane £80-100m

Total £140-170m

Out
Henderson £25-30m
McTominay £30-40m
Elanga £15-20m
Other Dross £0-50m

Total £70-140m

Chelsea are asking for £70m+ for Mount (will probably achieve more like £50-£60m).

If we spend £150m+ on Rice and Mount, we're really not getting good value.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
We bought RVP for more than that over a decade ago.
Raheem Sterling. And he’s a few years older.
Mount, Sterling and RVP, one of those is not remotely comparable to the other two. Chamberlain went for £35m, Chelsea are asking for £80m, you could argue that Ox had shown more as a player than mount has too.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Chelsea are asking for £70m+ for Mount (will probably achieve more like £50-£60m).

I think Rice will go for around £80 million and Mount around £40 million, but I agree, it doesn’t strike me as good value.

However, if we get decent fees for the likes of Henderson for around £20 million, McTominay and Maguire for around £30 million each, then it still gives us some room for another ‘big’ signing IMO.

TMS

You're right, I misread an earlier tweet. Still though the dealings still roughly work out even if we end up spending more on Mount. I'd say if we can't get him in the £40-50m range where he still provides good value then we'll look elsewhere. I really don't see us getting both him and Rice, it'd be one or the other with someone cheaper like Rabiot on top if anything.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I'd be happy with those three, given that we definitely need midfield reinforcements and a striker.

I'm concerned about the wings based on this seasons performances from Sancho and Antony, but the latter obviously gets more time and patience ahead of another season.

If Harry Maguire moves on as expected, we'd definitely benefit from another CB to keep Luke Shaw in his natural position, and to cover Varane's role when he's inevitably unfit.

It seems we're not going for a keeper, so I've written that off completely.

iHicksy

I don't know if some of you just don't watch or other teams or something. But

Rice (Best Dm in the prem alongside case and Rodi and only 24).
Kane, top 3 number 9's in world football. Would have a similar effect to RvP - His goals turn us into Genuine title contenders.
and Mount (flexible across four positions and young - suits what ETH wants - and he knows better than us what he wants)

These signings would put us 2nd/1st in the league and because they're expensive and english you don't want them? You'd rather pay a little less and get players that might not adapt to the league and are nowhere near as good as Rice or Kane? You might not like it, but Rice is wanted by a host of top sides around the world for a reason and Kane has just scored 28 goals in the worst spurs side since pre poch where half of it he was playing from deep. He'd get 30 goals for us with Bruno feeding him. Mount might not be as glamourous, but armchair football fans need to realize that every single coach he's played for has selected him in the starting 11 when fit, there's a reason for that and it's the same reason ETH wants him. He can play left centre mid in a 3, left attacking mid, or 10. That kind of flexibility will be invaluable to us with Bruno and Erikson and cover on the left. He's very good at dropping deep and bringing the ball out which ETH wants from an 8.

AndySmith1990

Signing three English players would at least allow us to sell AWB, Maguire and McTominay without worrying about the home grown quota

Telsim

Why??

Keep them both. They are far from perfect but not a priority IF we get the other signings right
If Frimpong happens, which it looks like it might, we will have 5 fullbacks. One is superfluous. And we desperately need income.

Status
Not open for further replies.