Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

manichester

If we lose a couple of games before the transfer window closes it will be interesting to see if this new philosophy continues especially with the lack of squad depth.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
If we lose a couple of games before the transfer window closes it will be interesting to see if this new philosophy continues especially with the lack of squad depth.
We have one of the biggest squads in the league!

It’s the lack of quality in depth, not actual depth. We have at least 8-9 CB’s on our books for one!

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I don’t think most people want loads of big money signings but United basically tanked in December and now are going to next season with possibly a worse squad. Muppetry would probably look at competing with the big boys but literally no one is even thinking of that but it would have been nice to have been able to compete for 4th

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Positive vibes :nervous:
I’m not a United fan, but this is just click bait crap. Even if you had signed no one your squad is significantly better than most others.

EtH’s biggest job is not signing new people, that’s a distraction, it’s about working with the squad you have, which should be fairly easy to improve given that they’ve not been developed properly for a few years.

You apparently “won” the transfer window last year with Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo and look how that worked out.

Articles like this are designed to distract and worry you!

Herman Toothrot

I’m not a United fan, but this is just click bait crap. Even if you had signed no one your squad is significantly better than most others.

EtH’s biggest job is not signing new people, that’s a distraction, it’s about working with the squad you have, which should be fairly easy to improve given that they’ve not been developed properly for a few years.

You apparently “won” the transfer window last year with Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo and look how that worked out.

I've always liked Brighton.

Loony BoB

Curious, which of Mata, Pogba, Matic, Henderson, Telles, Bailly, Cavani, Lingard do you guys feel is a great loss to our team? I can understand Cavani. Matic and Mata were well past it by Premier League standards. Cavani and Mata have yet to find a new club, which is rather telling, and Matic has moved to Italy where they play a considerably slower style than the Premier League which I don't feel he was able to keep up with last season. Lingard wasn't even playing for us for much of last season, same with Henderson. That leaves Pogba, who was infamous for causing problems off the pitch and for being half-arsed on it. Are we REALLY that much worse off at the moment? Depth-wise, perhaps. But there's time left in the window, and we have signed a few players as well and they looked pretty good in pre-season.

I do think we need more signings for the sake of depth, but I don't think we've had some insane loss of quality compared to what we had last season, let alone the season before when we finished 2nd (when our frontline was Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, James, I think?).

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

The most sense on a united forum coming from a Brighton fan, take a bow.

Olecurls99

Curious, which of Mata, Pogba, Matic, Henderson, Telles, Bailly, Cavani, Lingard do you guys feel is a great loss to our team? I can understand Cavani. Matic and Mata were well past it by Premier League standards. Cavani and Mata have yet to find a new club, which is rather telling, and Matic has moved to Italy where they play a considerably slower style than the Premier League which I don't feel he was able to keep up with last season. Lingard wasn't even playing for us for much of last season, same with Henderson. That leaves Pogba, who was infamous for causing problems off the pitch and for being half-arsed on it. Are we REALLY that much worse off at the moment? Depth-wise, perhaps. But there's time left in the window, and we have signed a few players as well and they looked pretty good in pre-season.

I do think we need more signings for the sake of depth, but I don't think we've had some insane loss of quality compared to what we had last season, let alone the season before when we finished 2nd (when our frontline was Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, James, I think?).
That's far too sensible. Please remove yourself from the cafe

lysglimt

Scout
I don't expect miracles - I think we will have a lot of games in the first 3-4 months where we don't look very good. It's if we don't see a lot of improvments at the end of the season I will be worried. I will satisfied if we are close to a top-4 spot when the world cup starts

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
No!
We need at least 10 signings per window, so in a few weeks we can complain “who the feck bought this guy”.
If we don’t sign many people, the club has fallen to amateur level, we can’t get anyone in, we are a joke!
If we sign many people, the club has fallen to amateur level, we just sign anyone, we are a joke!

P.S. On a serious note, I think that chasing De Jong is a very good sign. Ten Hag identified the right player and wants him. We are not just searching for DM in fifa manager search mode.

On a personal level I’d be much happier if we get both Ruiz and Neves, the FDJ situation already caused too much tension and I believe he’ll struggle here for quite a bit.

But it’s been a while since I felt so calm and relaxed for the new season.
Now I know that we have the perfect manager in.
And I’m happy to wait for ETH to do his magic. He’ll make us champions again, making Fred a club legend in the process.

Reactions: Sultan

OmarUnited4ever

Spot On!

Does the squad need strengthening? You bet it does.

But, Ten Hag's first and foremost job is to get the best out of this squad and get a proper style of play implemented, this squad, despite its obvious weaknesses, can show far better than it showed last season

Loony BoB

the FDJ situation already caused too much tension and I believe he’ll struggle here for quite a bit.
This is actually my biggest concern too - that he'll be signed and struggle. Not necessarily because of PL or tension, but more so because he might be a bit depressed about being forced out of his dream club and his fiance probably won't be happy to have her life thrown another curveball (I know people slag off WAGs here a lot, but honestly the happiness of your partner is seriously important to your own happiness and wellbeing in life).

MUnchies

You are talking more sense about United and you aren’t even a United fan. Good on you and I totally agree with you.

Most United fans took the article as gospel and started bashing the club including the manager who hasn’t even played a competitive game yet.

Smores

Our job isn't to be better than most others though its to be one of the 4 best.

It's not easy to achieve that so these things very much matter. Not many teams make top 4 without reliable attacking options.

Robbie Boy

Absolutely!

Dante

Average bang

Positive vibes :nervous:
From the first team squad we've lost:

Pogba (replaced with Eriksen)
Lingard and Mata (hardly played between them, replaced with Martial and a finally fit Rashford)
Henderson (replaced with Heaton)
Telles (replaced with Malacia)
Bailly/Jones/Tuanzebe (always injured, replaced by Martinez)
Matic (hardly played, hopefully will be replaced with FdJ)
Ronaldo and Cavani (played the equivalent of 35.5 league matches between them, yet to be replaced)

If we can get FdJ and a high-pressing striker, we're in a decent position, I reckon.

Other than Heaton for Henderson, I think every single replacement is an upgrade (as good as Ronaldo is in isolation, EtH's system needs something different).

Yes, it does mean relying on a couple of players who were out of form last season. But I'm prepared to write off 21/22 as an anomaly. Sancho, as well, looks likely he's finally turned a corner.

Erik the Red

Our job isn't to be better than most others though its to be one of the 4 best.

It's not easy to achieve that so these things very much matter. Not many teams make top 4 without reliable attacking options.
We're not Arsenal!!!! Our job is to win every competition every season. We may not achieve that target, but we should certainly be aiming for it.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
People just like moaning, they would rather we signed trash just so that we could say we had new players.

We can’t compete for the top players at the moment either way, and the manager has said that he wants the right players for the positions he needs to fill (so that maybe in 3 years time we don’t have to moan about those players going out on loan and no one wanting to buy them!).

We definitely need more players, and better players, but let’s save our moaning for the end of the window shall we and just try and get through next few weeks without a meltdown
Finally a post I wholeheartedly agree with on the Cafe. I think we are only looking to pay money for players that can form part of a trophy winning team. No point signing players that'll just get us half way there, even if they are an improvement on what we already have. What's more obvious is Ten Haag is clearly committed to this approach, heck you could say he's driving it.
I get that people are sceptical because of how we've done in the transfer window historically but I think the most important signing we needed to make this summer is already here and that's the manager.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Well - yes, but how about this then:

He has been injured in 103 games - if you add that he probably hasn't been matchfit right away after some of these injuries - you could probably easily state that he has missed 115-120 games in 6 years. And maybe United on average have played 50 games a season so he has missed 120 out of 300 games through injuries or lacking match-fitness.
I am not saying he's not injury prone, he is. You only have to watch 90mins of him to know he's likely to be injury prone. All I'm saying is, for a player that isn't a guaranteed starter when fit, games played is not the right metric to measure availability.

Lee565

The CAF: We’re glad woodward is gone, no more signing for signings sake. No more galatico-esque style signings either.

United take it easy signing players that fit the style of play ETH wants.

The CAF witnessing Chelsea spunking money on any and every player that everyone else wants: OMG they have shiny new toys! We should do that too!
And watch them finish above us for actually being pro active in finding adequate alternatives whilst we hope frankie will join us and beg ronaldo to reconsider withdrawing his request to go because we only have martial as our other striker.

It obviously is not scattergun otherwise chelsea would have signed ronaldo but are still only interested finding players to fit tuchel.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
And watch them finish above us for actually being pro active in finding adequate alternatives whilst we hope frankie will join us and beg ronaldo to reconsider withdrawing his request to go because we only have martial as our other striker.

It obviously is not scattergun otherwise chelsea would have signed ronaldo but are still only interested finding players to fit tuchel.
I beg to differ.

Seemingly only going after players that other teams want. Crucruella/De Jong/Sesko - just to name a few.

It 100000% is scattergun and no thought process. It’s gonna crash and burn next season

Giggsy13

The CAF: We’re glad woodward is gone, no more signing for signings sake. No more galatico-esque style signings either.

United take it easy signing players that fit the style of play ETH wants.

The CAF witnessing Chelsea spunking money on any and every player that everyone else wants: OMG they have shiny new toys! We should do that too!
Have you seen the midfield and forward options? Martial is out and we’re already in a crisis.

Giggsy13

The rumours are probably correct due to EtH having to introduce a different style of play and our previous scouts had alternative player list to what is required.
So poor preparation from Murtough and our scouts? These are the football experts, they should have an understanding if they were good at their jobs, of what the manager requires. I think the frustration for many is that it seems to be de Jong or bust. I agree that the approach of the past was wrong but I was hoping that our reformed and changed structure would uncover some gems and off the radar signings that could change our out look. That could be Malacia, but we’re in dire need of more.

JuriM

Well said you're a true red. Can't complain about anything, support no matter what.

Don't you dare ask for a thing, better go support another team.
No need to be witty, you know what I mean anyway and who it was submitted to - there are too many people here who whine about everything, as we ain't getting things set in a matter of seconds. Instead, give a bit of time to see new people in the club to sort things out.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Have you seen the midfield and forward options? Martial is out and we’re already in a crisis.
Of course. But I don’t want to just sign anyone for the sake of signing anyone and be stuck with average players on high wages that we can’t shift, we can’t afford to keep making these mistakes. Sign the right players and the right players only.

Caesar2290

Post of the year right here. Hats off to you good sir!

Matt851

No need to be witty, you know what I mean anyway and who it was submitted to - there are too many people here who whine about everything, as we ain't getting things set in a matter of seconds. Instead, give a bit of time to see new people in the club to sort things out.
Murtough and Arnold are not new people , they were very much involved in the previous failures.

It's hard to have much faith in them when they don't have any history of success and aren't doing a particularly good job. Neither would get a job at another Premier league club. Honestly describing Arnold as new when he has been at the club for a number of years and is only in the job because he is mates with Woodward is a real stretch

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Matic could've easily played regularly, if our managers were not so stubborn to play 4 attackers. If he had help from Fred +1 other midfielder, he would be very useful. But we never play 3man midfield, unless it's Pogba in LM/LW hybrid role.

Caesar2290

So poor preparation from Murtough and our scouts? These are the football experts, they should have an understanding if they were good at their jobs, of what the manager requires. I think the frustration for many is that it seems to be de Jong or bust. I agree that the approach of the past was wrong but I was hoping that our reformed and changed structure would uncover some gems and off the radar signings that could change our out look. That could be Malacia, but we’re in dire need of more.
You are right about the bolded sentence but did you miss the part where we fired our scouting network 2 weeks before the transfer window?

Right now we are going purelly off EtH's recomendations because our scouting department is in the middle of restructuring.

Could the timing be better for doing this? Sure

But let's also remember that these are the same scouts who recommended AWB and a host of other players that turned to deadwood.

Matt851

You are right about the bolded sentence but did you miss the part where we fired our scouting network 2 weeks before the transfer window?

Right now we are going purelly off EtH's recomendations because our scouting department is in the middle of restructuring.

But let's also remember that these are the same scouts who recommended AWB and a host of other players that turned to deadwood.
Not convinced awb or maguire were signings recommended by scouts, seem to fit squarely with oles best of British policy from that year.

By all accounts the scouts had been somewhat alienated in recent years. Replacing them is fine, sacking to without replacement seems a bit silly. Pretty skeptical it was just a pr move to show that it's an new era without any real substantive improvement

BuzzKillington

I’m pretty sure we just sacked our two head scouts, not the entire network.

Status
Not open for further replies.