Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
And the players currently here are good enough? It's better to replace proven shite with players who may have some mental resilience to be able to run a little.

Bernardeschi would be better than Martial, easily.

Tarkowski would be better than having Bailly in the treatment room.

Grillitsch would be better than having no proper DM after losing Matic on a free.

Dembele and Dybala may be risky, but it's why a club like United should have people to look at them closely to assess whether they would be another Di Maria or Sanchez - I don't think United plan that far ahead unfortunately.

Yes they have, but we should have been in their ear a year ago, but my guess is they had already signed for other clubs before we even spoke to their agents.

Again, my point is that we can't be targeting a 70-80m player while only having 120m to spend when we've already lost 4 first team players from an already shite squad.
You improve by buying a CB better than Maguire or Lindelof for example and pushing them down the pecking order, not by replacing mediocre squad players with other mediocre squad players. Honestly half those you mentioned are Leicester or Wolves level at best.

Where would Dybala fit in to this team exactly? Does it not worry you that his form has dipped over the past few years to the point that Juve are prepared to let him go on a free and none of the other top clubs in Europe seem to want him?

You talk about Bailly being on the treatment table, and then suggest spunking millions in wages and signing on fees on Ousmane Dembele. :lol: That makes zero sense.

mctrials23

Pre-season starts in 11 days. Would be good for some of the new lads to join by then.

Remember - this is the summer of ‘massive change’
Oh I agree but there is zero reason to worry at the moment and all of the hand wringing is just pointless. If we can agree a price with Barca for FdJ then it will all happen quickly I imagine. I am far more concerned with ETH getting his hands on the 90% of players who are already at the club and need their heads knocking together. We are, by all accounts buying players that fit into ETHs preferred style of play so they shouldn't have too much of an issue being tweaked into whatever system he decides is best. Our far far bigger issue is adapting the current crop of players to it.

We need massively improved fitness levels, intensity and work rate need to increase and players need to buy into his vision for how we play. That will be far more important than who we sign IMO. We still have a decent bunch of players at United, despite what some fans and last season might suggest. His success here will depend more on that than it will the new arrivals this summer.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
You improve by buying a CB better than Maguire or Lindelof for example and pushing them down the pecking order, not by replacing mediocre squad players with other mediocre squad players. Honestly half those you mentioned are Leicester or Wolves level at best.

Where would Dybala fit in to this team exactly? Does it not worry you that his form has dipped over the past few years to the point that Juve are prepared to let him go on a free and none of the other top clubs in Europe seem to want him?

You talk about Bailly being on the treatment table, and then suggest spunking millions in wages and signing on fees on Ousmane Dembele. :lol: That makes zero sense.
That's great, how many starting players can we buy with 120m? Specially when we're chasing one who's going between 70-80m? (Damn I'm tired of repeating myself).

You replace mediocre squad players who have been proven to be useless and less than desirable characters with ayers who could potentially be better for free/cheap.

I gave a few examples of players who were on a free, didn't suggest we sign all of them.

@golden_blunder that's the main problem isn't it, we still have really got someone who's able to choose a playing style and hire/purchase managers/players accordingly.

It's why we've accumulated a shocking squad for 1b+, by leaving recruitment to the managers, we're currently doing the same with Ten Hag, which means we could only start talking to players/agents a month ago, it's a vicious cycle and I think loads of fans are just fed up with it, then to have posters say "it's only been a week since the window has opened".

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That's great, how many starting players can we buy with 120m? Specially when we're chasing one who's going between 70-80m? (Damn I'm tired of repeating myself).

You replace mediocre squad players who have been proven to be useless and less than desirable characters with ayers who could potentially be better for free/cheap.

I gave a few examples of players who were on a free, didn't suggest we sign all of them.

@golden_blunder that's the main problem isn't it, we still have really got someone who's able to choose a playing style and hire/purchase managers/players accordingly.

It's why we've accumulated a shocking squad for 1b+, by leaving recruitment to the managers, we're currently doing the same with Ten Hag, which means we could only start talking to players/agents a month ago, it's a vicious cycle and I think loads of fans are just fed up with it, then to have posters say "it's only been a week since the window has opened".
No you’re looking at this wrong. It’s not that they are all the managers choice but rather that he has a completely different philosophy to Ole a year ago. We shouldn’t be targeting the players on the list from a year ago.
our buying seemed to be dependent on who woody wanted rather than some great grand plan.
As I said, we won’t see the benefit of the new systems this window. There is going to be some disappointment. You’re all setting yourselves up for a fall. Many people have an expectation that we have to keep up with Liverpool and city. no chance, not this season. We’ve been reset, back to basics, back to the training ground and i for one welcome it!

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Are there any credible links to Gnabry? Seems to be a lot of talk about him potentially going back to Arsenal (who are also without CL football) but not a lot else.

Surely he'd be an ideal signing for the RW spot?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
No you’re looking at this wrong. It’s not that they are all the managers choice but rather that he has a completely different philosophy to Ole a year ago. We shouldn’t be targeting the players on the list from a year ago.
our buying seemed to be dependent on who woody wanted rather than some great grand plan.
As I said, we won’t see the benefit of the new systems this window. There is going to be some disappointment. You’re all setting yourselves up for a fall. Many people have an expectation that we have to keep up with Liverpool and city. no chance, not this season. We’ve been reset, back to basics, back to the training ground and i for one welcome it!
Oh I have no doubt we'll have another bad year this year, I don't really ar either, there will be teething problems, I just want to see us play some nice football, something that's been missing since the end of the SAF era (where he was working miracles with the budget he had).

I'm probably just projecting 10 years worth of frustration on our inability to act like a global club should.

sparx99

At what point do we stop adding every transfer to our total spending? £1bn today, will it be £2bn in 2030? Surely, the better measure should be whatever your squad currently cost or whatever your squad is currently valued at. Including players who have been moved on as well as an arbitrary timeframe is just daft.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
100%. We need to put Arsenal and Spurs in our rear view mirror first. We don't need 10 players to do that, we just need a couple and a whole new approach. There's no point adding 5 players to the squad unless the place is completely reset and and ready to move in the same direction, and that doesn't happen with the appointment of a new manager and staff, it takes time to implement change. It's also why ETH former players make sense, as there are so many unknowns already. As lots of the issues seem to be structural and cultural, they will still exist. Any level of improvement this season is a bonus and will give us the foundation for a real push in the future.

golden_blunder

Staff
Oh I have no doubt we'll have another bad year this year, I don't really ar either, there will be teething problems, I just want to see us play some nice football, something that's been missing since the end of the SAF era (where he was working miracles with the budget he had).

I'm probably just projecting 10 years worth of frustration on our inability to act like a global club should.
Im hopeful that no matter what players we end up with at the close of window, Ten Hag will get all players going in the same direction and those that don’t he won’t be long in telling them feck off if they don’t like it. I have more trust in this incoming coach and his team than I’ve had since fergie. I hope im not wrong :nervous:

golden_blunder

Staff
100%. We need to put Arsenal and Spurs in our rear view mirror first. We don't need 10 players to do that, we just need a couple and a whole new approach. There's no point adding 5 players to the squad unless the place is completely reset and and ready to move in the same direction, and that doesn't happen with the appointment of a new manager and staff, it takes time to implement change. It's also why ETH former players make sense, as there are so many unknowns already. As lots of the issues seem to be structural and cultural, they will still exist. Any level of improvement this season is a bonus and will give us the foundation for a real push in the future.
Exactly. I’m hopeful about seeing progress this season and the coaching paying off for some no matter who we end up having in the squad. Ten Hag will recognise any bluffers when he sees them. Take Rashford for example. Mcclaren coming in as his coach has already got a low opinion of his attitude. He’s going to have to work extremely hard to change that. That can only be good right

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Im hopeful that no matter what players we end up with at the close of window, Ten Hag will get all players going in the same direction and those that don’t he won’t be long in telling them deck off if they don’t like it. I have more trust in this incoming coach and his team than I’ve had since fergie. I hope im not wrong :nervous:
I just think the current players have shown their true natutoo many times for me to think any of them can be here long term, tge choking of top 4 spot on numerous occasions, choking in big games when it actually mattered, falling apart in the finals we actually got to.

They should be sent to the scrap heap, and I think we should target players that can play the way Ten Hag wants to play, and who are also willing to work hard, which doesn't necessarily mean paying 80m for one player.

I'm in agreement though, Ten Hag was the one I voted for months ago in the poll, I'm sure he'll be a success, he just needs the structure above him to be a success too.

Varun1

Stretching the list a little admittedly, but he could be a Matic replacement and would cost nothing.

My point is, with only 120m this window, and our current squad full of players who have had enough chances, and who have just gave us the worst season in decades then free transfers would be a smart way to go, rather than dropping 70-80m on one player.
In fact the point you put across is that we should be signing players who are below average for a team like United, are invovlved in a criminal investigation, spend a lot of time injured or who were being targeted by Real. There's also one that we're apparently looking at, and in Kamara's case, Villa seems to have offered him really high wages. I don't see other teams fighting over Dybala or Bernardashi, maybe that's a clue for you.

So what exactly is your point?

M4YON

I think based on this transfer window it's easy to see why so many people are angry and upset with how things are.

I personally feel the same but more because this transfer window more than others has shown me just how far United are behind on so many basic levels. Structure, Recruitment, Scouting etc. We are just so far behind it's painful to see.

Spurs who seemingly were up sh#t creek before Conte arrived are now making smart moves all over the place. Meaning their problems lay in needing a clear plan where a DoF and manager were on the same page.

I fear as imagine many others do is our problems lie much much deeper. I laugh when people say we should have gone for Conte. Fantastic manager but even if we mirrored them and had brought in Conte and Paratici we wouldn't have emulated there success, as I've said our problems run deeper and it's not an easy pill to swallow

One can only hope that we are trying to make the necessary adjustments in all these departments but until we actually see the benefits more of this negativity will continue on here and many other United fan forums i imagine.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
In fact the point you put across is that we should be signing players who are below average for a team like United, are invovlved in a criminal investigation, spend a lot of time injured or who were being targeted by Real. There's also one that we're apparently looking at, and in Kamara's case, Villa seems to have offered him really high wages. I don't see other teams fighting over Dybala or Bernardashi, maybe that's a clue for you.

So what exactly is your point?
Average for a team like United? :lol: have you seen our current squad?

I'll say it one last time for you, try comprehending it before replying, as I've said my point multiple times.

Point - our squad is filled with players that have been proven not to be good enough for United, are mentally weak and have no character. Why not try and stretch that 120m by signing free agents or cheaper players and seeing if those players are good enough to play in Ten Hags system rather than spending all summer trying to sign one 70-80m player when most of this squad needs gutting.

One more time - our squad is filled with players that have been proven not to be good enough for United, are mentally weak and have no character. Why not try and stretch that 120m by signing free agents or cheaper players and seeing if those players are good enough to play in Ten Hags system rather than spending all summer trying to sign one 70-80m player when most of this squad needs gutting.

No player deserves a second chance after last season (not counting all the other seasons where they fluffed top 4 opportunities, choked in Cup finals etc).

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Christ some of you need to start playing the lottery or or join MI6 because you clearly have fantastical powers of foresight and prediction. The window has just opened. FdJ signing isn't simple. The only reason City have signed Haaland is because of his release clause. If that wasn't there then he would still be at Dortmund and have loads of teams fighting over him for the summer. Liverpool paid a lot of money for a striker from the Portuguese league who has gaping holes in some areas of his game and might be a flop. There is no concrete evidence that anyone else was that interested in him. Chelsea have lost most of their defence and have to get rid of Lukaku before they can spent much and so far haven't done anything. Tottenham have taken a 33 year old winger on a free and look like buying a player with a sexual assault charge hanging over his head. Arsenal have done nothing.

Come back and have these whinges in 4 weeks time.
Touche. Like it

diarm

That is a fecking horrific deal for us if true. As in, there is not a single upside to this for United.
  • They get him for a season risk free. We subsidise his wage to play there.
  • If he's good, they can sign him on the cheap next year.
  • If he's shite, they can send him back with his value shot and a year less on his contract.
Literally every other scenario is better for us:
  • Sell him now.
  • Loan him with an obligation to buy.
  • Loan him with no obligation or option.
  • Keep him.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
That is a fecking horrific deal for us if true. As in, there is not a single upside to this for United.
  • If he's shite, they can send him back with his value shot and a year less on his contract.
  • Sell him now.
  • Keep him.
Nailed it. Nothing changes at this club. How are Liverpool able to shift nobodies for that sort of fee. We struggle to shift one of the best keepers in the league for a couple of years back?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Nailed it. Nothing changes at this club. How are Liverpool able to shift nobodies for that sort of fee. We struggle to shift one of the best keepers in the league for a couple of years back?
Because they don't throw cash around to youngsters like confetti, isn't Brandon William's on £75k a week too?

the_cliff

Liverpool won't put a backup gk that had a half decent season at sheffield on more than 100k a week.

lysglimt

Scout
Just out of curiosity - which players is it you think Liverpool have sold over the last 3 seasons that is an indication that they are doing everything so right when they sell players ?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
  • Sell him now.
  • Keep him.
Lots of people posting negative nonsense like kids on here but this is all true. It’s a stupendously idiotic deal.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Just out of curiosity - which players is it you think Liverpool have sold over the last 3 seasons that is an indication that they are doing everything so right when they sell players ?
Danny Ings for £20m, Harry Wilson £12m, Lovren £10m. Not to mention the fees they’ve gotten for the likes for Jordan Ibe for around £17m and Solanky for similar fees.

Look at what City get for their squad players/players they’ve had on loan.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
We’re a shambles, but this is the price we’re having to pay for the sheer incompetence of Woody and Judge.

Devil may care

The other thing that's disappointing if Henderson goes to Forest on loan is that Garner can't, he seemed settled in there and playing for them every week in the PL would have been good for his development.

SmallCaine

We’re a shambles, but this is the price we’re having to pay for the sheer incompetence of Woody and Judge.
I think most blame goes to the current folk incharge if this deal goes through as reported. Henderson is a pretty good keeper if the best they can do is 20mn they are to blame not woodward or his crony.

diarm

The other thing that's disappointing if Henderson goes to Forest on loan is that Garner can't, he seemed settled in there and playing for them every week in the PL for would have been good for his development.
This would be the only plus of it for me. I really want to see Garner stay this year and develop under Ten Hag.

captaincantona

This would be the only plus of it for me. I really want to see Garner stay this year and develop under Ten Hag.
Or...he stays on the bench playing almost no football between now and Xmas before going on loan to another championship club....what sounds more like Utd?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I think most blame goes to the current folk incharge if this deal goes through as reported. Henderson is a pretty good keeper if the best they can do is 20mn they are to blame not woodward or his crony.
The issue is if he was on a wage that you’d expect for a back up keeper, we’d probably have sanctioned a sale of between £25-30m.

That’s the fault of Woody and Judge.

I think we just back him as our number 1 for a season and move DdG on, personally.

Devil may care

The thing is he doesn't look ready to be much more than a cup game and training squad player for a team under the pressure we are under, at Forest he'd be playing PL football every week which I think is more valuable at his age.

Varun1

Average for a team like United? :lol: have you seen our current squad?

I'll say it one last time for you, try comprehending it before replying, as I've said my point multiple times.

Point - our squad is filled with players that have been proven not to be good enough for United, are mentally weak and have no character. Why not try and stretch that 120m by signing free agents or cheaper players and seeing if those players are good enough to play in Ten Hags system rather than spending all summer trying to sign one 70-80m player when most of this squad needs gutting.

One more time - our squad is filled with players that have been proven not to be good enough for United, are mentally weak and have no character. Why not try and stretch that 120m by signing free agents or cheaper players and seeing if those players are good enough to play in Ten Hags system rather than spending all summer trying to sign one 70-80m player when most of this squad needs gutting.

No player deserves a second chance after last season (not counting all the other seasons where they fluffed top 4 opportunities, choked in Cup finals etc).
So we have a bunch of players who are not good enough, but lets get some more players who are not good enough because they are free (besides which, free comes at a high cost)?

I disagree with the highlighted part, the club is looking to offload some players because they've been given enough chances. Everyone else deserves a second chance imo, even if it's Harry whom I don't like but still think he deserves another chance. Then there are players who are not good enough and we're clearly looking for an upgrade, such as Scott and the RB situation. These guys will either be sold or remain as bench option. We have enough bench options, we don't need any more.

Kessie is the only player from that list who could potentially have made sense, but I don't know how good he really is.

GwilDor

• Sell him now.
  • Keep him.
Mindboggling. Meanwhile Southampton pay £12m rising to £15m for City's Gavin Bazanu, who comes off a loan at Portsmouth in League One. Also they reportedly have a buy back clause in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.