Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
considering his work ethic, i doubt ETH even has him on the bench. This feels like another contract that just has to run out, or we are paying some of his wages to go away.
And fitness and conditioning. Hasn’t had the ability to finish a full season without any injuries since 2020
I did feel like that fell under taking on instruction as well, as we know Ten Hag places strong physical demands on his players to enact his tactics. So, his work ethic and fitness/conditioning is a part of that in my eyes, but you're both right.

iHicksy

Personally i'd just stick Martial in the reserves until someone becomes desperate enough to take a chance on him, even if it's just another loan. I don't think having a player with his terrible attitude around the first team does anyone any favors.

Widow

Source: https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/4688890/de-jong-to-manchester-united-barcelona-blame-laliga-for-holding-up-transfer-sources (Rob Dawson)

• Manchester United would be willing to pay £40 million for Antony, although Ajax would want more
  • Barcelona have blamed La Liga's strict financial rules for their tough negotiating stance on Frenkie de Jong during transfer talks
  • Old Trafford bosses are demanding that the size of the fee reflects the fact Barcelona want to offload the player but Barcelona have insisted their hands are tied by La Liga
  • MUFC have made it known they are interested in Christian Eriksen, but sources have said he would prefer to stay in London. Tottenham remains his most likely destination.
  • Manchester United are working to a net spend budget of between £100m-£150m this summer

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Source: https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/4688890/de-jong-to-manchester-united-barcelona-blame-laliga-for-holding-up-transfer-sources (Rob Dawson)

• Manchester United would be willing to pay £40 million for Antony, although Ajax would want more
  • Barcelona have blamed La Liga's strict financial rules for their tough negotiating stance on Frenkie de Jong during transfer talks
  • Old Trafford bosses are demanding that the size of the fee reflects the fact Barcelona want to offload the player but Barcelona have insisted their hands are tied by La Liga
  • MUFC have made it known they are interested in Christian Eriksen, but sources have said he would prefer to stay in London. Tottenham remains his most likely destination.
  • Manchester United are working to a net spend budget of between £100m-£150m this summer
It's an odd, seeing as they want to sell and can only get a 3rd of the wages saved and transfer fee they received. No one would pay more than they paid for him, it's an absurd stance to take, only because you're skint.

Rauður Djöfull

Can't we offer them 40+ a player or two like Martial :P

led_scholes

Despite the fact he's injured all the time, he's also an accident waiting to happen. Should definitely be moved on. Had enough of these unreliable (in terms of fitness and/or performance) players.
He is also a player who went Awol. Even if he was our best defender (he is probably 4th) should not stay here.

Dazzmondo

Sorry but Antony isn't worth more than £40m. Sancho was absolutely miles ahead of Antony's current level and he strugged a lot in his 1st season with us. You've got to assume Antony will struggle a lot in the beginning too. Personally I think he's a £35m player but £40m would be ok taking into consideration his long term potential.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
If we have a net spend target of £100-150m (a wide range), then that means we can cover off most of our problem areas.

Antony £40m
Eriksen Free
de Jong ~£65m
Martinez £35m

Obviously a 5th signing is a possibility if we manage to sell the likes of Tuanzebe (£15m?), Bailly (£15m?), Jones (£5m?), Williams (£20m?).

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
If we have a net spend target of £100-150m (a wide range), then that means we can cover off most of our problem areas.

Antony £40m
Eriksen Free
de Jong ~£65m
Martinez £35m

Obviously a 5th signing is a possibility if we manage to sell the likes of Tuanzebe (£15m?), Bailly (£15m?), Jones (£5m?), Williams (£20m?).
That appears to be shaping up to be our summer targets, along with a full back

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Hopefully we’ve moved on from trying to attract big name players only for them to underwhelm when the going gets tough.

I much rather see an unknown player coming in and playing his heart out for the club despite a few inevitable initial hiccups. But I don’t know if we have a capable enough scouting department to uncover these more obscure talents.

Raw

Antony £40m
Eriksen Free
de Jong ~£65m
Martinez £35m

That plus a defensive mid would be a good summer for us. Though I reckon we'll get £30m at most for those sold players.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!

Antony £40m
Eriksen Free
de Jong ~£65m
Martinez £35m

Come on man, no one is paying anywhere close to those fees for them.

userman

Antony £40m
Eriksen Free
de Jong ~£65m
Martinez £35m

No chance that we get those figures for the players mentioned. We're lucky if we manage to get even half of that..

As per Eriksen and covering our problem areas, is attacking mid really a problem area for us? I mean we already have Bruno (our most productive player) and DvdB who looks certain to get a second chance, I just don't see the need to go for Eriksen over for example a RB.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Come on man, no one is paying anywhere close to those fees for them.
I think we rejected £20m from So’ton last summer?

Tuanzebe could fetch up to £15m. Bailly I’m hoping we can get something over £10m. Jones no idea.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Von Mistelroum

I know you're using hyperbole for effect, but he definitely isn't. The real issue for me is will Martial actually take on instruction. He's a very natural player with his ability, but if he's not going to do anything Ten Hag asks of him, he'll just rot on the bench again.
I'm not though. He's really bad these days. Barely a footballer when you see him out there. It's an overused saying but he looks like a fan who won a competition to play with United.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If a fan won a competition to play for United, they'd still put in more effort than Martial.

Real Name

Doesnt surprise me we cant find buyers for Martial. We gave him a huge salary and nobody can match that, especially since he's that useless of a player. One of those players who's talented but his head is not in it at all.

Marcelinho87

Sorry but Antony isn't worth more than £40m. Sancho was absolutely miles ahead of Antony's current level and he strugged a lot in his 1st season with us. You've got to assume Antony will struggle a lot in the beginning too. Personally I think he's a £35m player but £40m would be ok taking into consideration his long term potential.
I like to think had you put Sancho in a functioning side he wouldn't have struggled... The reality is our team as a whole struggled so his ability wasn't the issue.

Dr. StrangeHate

Doesnt surprise me we cant find buyers for Martial. We gave him a huge salary and nobody can match that, especially since he's that useless of a player. One of those players who's talented but his head is not in it at all.
Him and Anderson are the same. Very talented but when they got that fat contract, they just couldn't be bothered. I bet they are an ideal to millions of people out there.

Dazzmondo

I like to think had you put Sancho in a functioning side he wouldn't have struggled... The reality is our team as a whole struggled so his ability wasn't the issue.
While that certainly wouldn't have helped I still think he struggled a lot individually even when the team weren't performing that terribly at the very beginning of the season (not that they were good). Sancho at Dortmund was one of my favourite players to watch so I really hope he can show what he's capable of next season.

led_scholes

Him and Anderson are the same. Very talented but when they got that fat contract, they just couldn't be bothered. I bet they are an ideal to millions of people out there.
I don't think so it's similar. Anderson was injury prone, and when he was on field he was taken out when it was obvious that he was exhausted. At least on field, AAnderson was giving everything he could. Martial doesnt even sweat.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Feels like it's been a quiet day today. Calm before the storm hopefully.

AneRu

If one of Pellistri, Elanga, Amad make it to desired level this could be massive success and it's still nothing for sure at the moment.

When Martial will join Mata & Lingard in departure, there could be plenty of room for a signing and promotion of best talent.
His presence, particularly if he doesn't show any hunger in pre-season, shouldn't block a talented and more deserving younger player from making it. At the moment he is a sunk cost and we should banish him to the Reserves or below like what Jose did with BFS back in 2016. He is done here and we should be as brutal as possible with him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
His presence, particularly if he doesn't show any hunger in pre-season, shouldn't block a talented and more deserving younger player from making it. At the moment he is a sunk cost and we should banish him to the Reserves or below like what Jose did with BFS back in 2016. He is done here and we should be as brutal as possible with him.
The whole thing complicates itself a bit as Greenwood's career end is kinda on the horizon, which could very well rescue Martial for a while. It'll force Ten Hag to come up with quick solution, perhaps deep in the pre-season tour with not much time to maneuver.

Looks like perfect opportunity for one of Elanga / Pellistri / Amad to shine. So far there's no better chance for them than now, while possible Antony scoop is still not in advanced stage.

Long summer ahead, possibly with suspenful deadline day as a cherry on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.