Transfer Tweets - Manchester United - 2022/23 | Follow the OP rules and check the quality of your sources before posting. STAY ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

• Ronaldo’s United team-mates were left with the impression that the forward would look to move this summer if the club failed to qualify for the Champions League.

• On more than one occasion Rangnick proposed to football director John Murtough and chief executive officer Richard Arnold that Ronaldo be sold, and replaced, during the January transfer window. There were said to be several emails and messages on this topic.

• Rangnick felt that as Ronaldo’s time at United was uncertain beyond the end of the season, it made sense to act sooner rather than later to reconfigure the side’s attack.
So the club aren't blameless here.
Makes absolute sense. What Rangnick said of course, not our inactivity. Quite impressive that we knew Ronaldo would leave so early yet we are still here and have no replacement for him.

M4YON

Makes absolute sense. What Rangnick said of course, not our inactivity. Quite impressive that we knew Ronaldo would leave so early yet we are still here and have no replacement for him.
This is why I posted it. I've seen many posts complaining about Ronaldo waiting 2 weeks to tell the club he wants to go when in fact we knew at the least 6 months ago.

Dazzmondo

• Ronaldo’s United team-mates were left with the impression that the forward would look to move this summer if the club failed to qualify for the Champions League.

• On more than one occasion Rangnick proposed to football director John Murtough and chief executive officer Richard Arnold that Ronaldo be sold, and replaced, during the January transfer window. There were said to be several emails and messages on this topic.

• Rangnick felt that as Ronaldo’s time at United was uncertain beyond the end of the season, it made sense to act sooner rather than later to reconfigure the side’s attack.
We're still run by incompetents all-round evidently. Forget any praise I gave to Murtough. Guy's an idiot for not only not preparing in Jan but then also not ensuring we got Nunez despite already knowing Ronaldo probably wanted to leave. I don't care what anyone says about the price involved to get Nunez, he's a better striker than anyone we're likely to be able to get now and he'd have been far more important to us than he will be for Liverpool. No confidence whatsoever in the rest of the window after seeing pretty clearly that there was nothing revelatory or last minute about this announcement.

Suv666

You seriously expected anything else following the news he wanted to leave?
Yeah I did. I expected him to be respectful about it.
Needs to be sold asap. If we have this hanging over our head seasons gone.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

They aren't blameless, but it's a bit hindsight is 20/20. Could you imagine the reaction if we sold Ronaldo in Jan? Who could we have really got in that could replace the goals Ronaldo was still giving, we'd end up in the same place really. It was a gamble worth taking he'd get us top 4.

Godfather

This is why I posted it. I've seen many posts complaining about Ronaldo waiting 2 weeks to tell the club he wants to go when in fact we knew at the least 6 months ago.
Rangnick may not be a good coach and by God he wasn't. But he knows how to build a football club. Should have listened to him and got a replacement ready for Ronaldo. Dissapointing we haven't. Quite frankly I also don't know why. A new forward would have been a priority even with Ronaldo staying. Now though it's an absolute must.

Suv666

unez, he's a better striker than anyone we're likely to be able to get now and he'd have been far more important to us than he will be for Liverpool. No confidence whatsoever in the rest of the window after seeing pretty clearly that there was nothing revelatory or last minute about this announcement.
I would prefer getting a class striker like Felix or Gnarby rather than panicking and buying any old shit available.
No more scattergun transfers.

Man-United

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this one is true though, ETH is a known fan and he's available. I imagine he'd play through the middle too.
I don't think he would be a good signing for us tbh. Don't think he's a player to take us forward.

Chairman Steve

Levy is never going to sell us a player. He’d probably set the price at £100m for Bergwijn with us and then sell him to Everton for like £30m to spite us. Feck him.

captaincantona

We're still run by incompetents all-round evidently. Forget any praise I gave to Murtough. Guy's an idiot for not only not preparing in Jan but then also not ensuring we got Nunez despite already knowing Ronaldo probably wanted to leave. I don't care what anyone says about the price involved to get Nunez, he's a better striker than anyone we're likely to be able to get now and he'd have been far more important to us than he will be for Liverpool. No confidence whatsoever in the rest of the window after seeing pretty clearly that there was nothing revelatory or last minute about this announcement.
It’s very clear RR ruffled too many feathers and upset the status quo with common sense about our attitude, players contracts, quality etc. He was right of course.

on Ronaldo, never wanted him back so not bothered in the slightest. Best for the club not to be a vehicle for his personal accolades. That’s how it always felt anyways.

Dazzmondo

They aren't blameless, but it's a bit hindsight is 20/20. Could you imagine the reaction if we sold Ronaldo in Jan? Who could we have really got in that could replace the goals Ronaldo was still giving, we'd end up in the same place really. It was a gamble worth taking he'd get us top 4.
And what's the excuse for not getting someone for the summer?

Dazzmondo

I would prefer getting a class striker like Felix or Gnarby rather than panicking and buying any old shit available.
No more scattergun transfers.
What makes you think Gnabry would want to join us? I'd definitely take Nunez over Felix. He had a great performance against us but he's been largely inconsistent when you take his Atletico career as a whole and I've never seen anything to suggest he can play in a lone striker system.

OmarUnited4ever

Ajax was interested in Bergwijn in Jan 2022, now that Ten Hag is our manager, it seems Dutch journalists are linking anyone Ten Hag was interested in whilst at Ajax will also become of interest to United now, so it is a tenuous link at best, or most likely a made up one by Mike Verweij, since we all know the club will never sanction a 40.6m to get Bergwijn

Dazzmondo

It’s very clear RR ruffled too many feathers and upset the status quo with common sense about our attitude, players contracts, quality etc. He was right of course.

on Ronaldo, never wanted him back so not bothered in the slightest. Best for the club not to be a vehicle for his personal accolades. That’s how it always felt anyways.
That's fine if you don't want Ronaldo but the big problem is who we get now to replace his goals. Only Salah and Son scored more PL goals than him last season. You can't just replace him with any old striker. We don't have Cavani, we don't have Greenwood and so far we haven't been linked with any new strikers (and we need a top one, which there aren't many of, even less so that would go to a non-CL club).

Dan_F

£40 million for a player they signed for £25 million and parked on the bench for two years :lol: Who writes this shit.

They’re extremely lucky to recoup what they paid.

OmarUnited4ever

£40 million for a player they signed for £25 million and parked on the bench for two years :lol: Who writes this shit.

They’re extremely lucky to recoup what they paid.
Agreed, and tbf, the journalist is a good source for Ajax and Netherland, but I think he is making it up here, adding United's name to get the clicks for the story.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
So what you're saying is, you think that a non footballing person made a footballing decision by not taking the advice of an actual footballing person?

How could you possibly know that things wouldn't have been better without Ronaldo? I love the guy, but he didn't fit the style Ralf tried to implement in his short time here, you'd think the people who hired the footballing guy would listen to his input on footballing matters.

It points to what I've been saying since the end of the season, there is absolutely no long term plan in place, making reactionary decisions rather than proactive ones.

What if Ten Hag says he thinks Rashford should be sold? But the board say no? He's going to be hamstrung by a decision of a suit because they don't want any more hassle from fans? Sounds like things have changed indeed.

Multi billion pound organisation being run by a bunch of clowns.

Suv666

What makes you think Gnabry would want to join us? I'd definitely take Nunez over Felix. He had a great performance against us but he's been largely inconsistent when you take his Atletico career as a whole and I've never seen anything to suggest he can play in a lone striker system.
If he doesn't want to then we find someone else next season. Spending 80 million just because we are desperate would have been a shocking blunder. If we are that desperate get a stop gap or some sort of loan deal until the right striker is available. I'm incredibly glad we did not go for Nunez.

You don't make a 80 million deal because well no one was available and we had to buy someone so here we go.

Dazzmondo

If he doesn't want to then we find someone else next season. Spending 80 million just because we are desperate would have been a shocking blunder. If we are that desperate get a stop gap or some sort of loan deal until the right striker is available. I'm incredibly glad we did not go for Nunez.

You don't make a 80 million deal because well no one was available and we had to buy someone so here we go.
Nunez is a great striker. He got 26 goals in just 28 league appearances last season. You're acting like he's some average striker that we could find anywhere. Who are you expecting us to loan that will deliver 18 league goals? What club would be dumb enough to loan out a striker that could return those sort of numbers?

Suv666

Nunez is a great striker. He got 26 goals in just 28 league appearances last season. You're acting like he's some average striker that we could find anywhere. Who are you expecting us to loan that will deliver 18 league goals? What club would be dumb enough to loan out a striker that could return those sort of numbers?
At Benfica.
Which is ranked 6th in Europe.
For context, Lacazette and Pepe scored similar in France. Which is ranked 5th in Europe. Sancho and Mkhi had great numbers in Germany ranked 4th. Lukaku scored loads in Italy.

You're deluded if you think scoring 26 at Benfica will translate to similar numbers in England. And paying the sort of money for a player who MIGHT be good is dumb.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
Zlatan!!

Withnail

Totally unproven though. That's one season in a poor league. It could be a purple patch and it'll be interesting to see if he struggles to adapt to the PL.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Totally unproven though. That's one season in a poor league. It could be a purple patch and it'll be interesting to see if he struggles to adapt to the PL.
Players rarely struggle to adapt for Liverpool and Man City. They get most of their recruitment spot on.

Dazzmondo

At Benfica.
Which is ranked 6th in Europe.
For context, Lacazette and Pepe scored similar in France. Which is ranked 5th in Europe. Sancho and Mkhi had great numbers in Germany ranked 4th. Lukaku scored loads in Italy.

You're deluded if you think scoring 26 at Benfica will translate to similar numbers in England. And paying the sort of money for a player who MIGHT be good is dumb.
Even 15 league goals would be good. Discounting a player simply because he's coming from another league is dumb. Not all will be able to replicate their numbers but others will. Suarez had an excellent season at Ajax and went to Liverpool and dominated in the PL. No guarantee any player signed from within the PL could replicate their numbers at another PL club either, but it always makes more sense to go for a player who has performed at a high level previously than to go for someone who's never been a prolific goalscorer and hope for some sort of miracle.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't think he would be a good signing for us tbh. Don't think he's a player to take us forward.
I'm not convinced either, but If ETH likes him, I feel he could get a tune out of him.
And what's the excuse for not getting someone for the summer?
Well that's clearly because we were under the impression he was staying.
So what you're saying is, you think that a non footballing person made a footballing decision by not taking the advice of an actual footballing person?

How could you possibly know that things wouldn't have been better without Ronaldo? I love the guy, but he didn't fit the style Ralf tried to implement in his short time here, you'd think the people who hired the footballing guy would listen to his input on footballing matters.

It points to what I've been saying since the end of the season, there is absolutely no long term plan in place, making reactionary decisions rather than proactive ones.

What if Ten Hag says he thinks Rashford should be sold? But the board say no? He's going to be hamstrung by a decision of a suit because they don't want any more hassle from fans? Sounds like things have changed indeed.

Multi billion pound organisation being run by a bunch of clowns.
Not really, unless you think Murtogh is non-football.

I don't think there's really been an example of you selling your top goal scorer, where you end up in a better position. It wouldn't have made Rashford magically better or Cavani suddenly not injured all the time, so you have to think that someone is just going to come in and replace his goals immediately. Weigh that risk against keeping Ronaldo, it's the safer decision.

Long-term plans also mean compromise on some aspects, you can't just sell the whole team and all of these decisions can't be made before the new manager came in.

I think if Ten Hag thinks Rashford should be sold, I imagine he would be. They got rid of Ragnick under the wishes of ETH by reports, so don't see why they wouldn't do the same if he made a compelling argument.

Avero

Ronaldo signed a contract with us until next summer, if he was uncertain whether to stay that long or not he shouldn’t have signed such a long contract. There isn’t any Champions League clause in his contract either because he didn’t request one. Telling the media you want to leave when you have a contract is unprofessional.

Status
Not open for further replies.