Transfers 21/22 - Jan window - 3 signings made on the last day!

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
According to swedish paper Aftonbladet United did want Blackstenius, but Häcken did not want to sell and United would not lash out big money like City did with Angeldahl.

Obviously there were other clubs interested as well. From her comments seems she is Europe bound in the winter.

Still good that United were aware of her and wanted to recruit another striker.

I'm seeing a few rumours that we will indeed sign Blackstenius in January. Had a quick look and she had the highest goals and highest assists in the league (17G & 8A). Sounds promising. I don't know anything about her though, would she be a good fit here?

Lightbringer

I'm seeing a few rumours that we will indeed sign Blackstenius in January. Had a quick look and she had the highest goals and highest assists in the league (17G & 8A). Sounds promising. I don't know anything about her though, would she be a good fit here?
Seems Blackstenius will NOT sign for United. While not set in stone, sportbladet usually has it right on swedish womens transfers. My bet is on her joining one of Uniteds biggest rivals in england instead. Probably some club will use her as a substitute luxury while keeping her from joining United. Our lack of ambition/reputation will show again! I feel really down about this as I really wanted it to happen and we desperately need another high quality striker to give Russo some help up front!

Blackstenius was one of the best performers during the olympics of all teams, so its definitely a quality player, I´ve watched her a ton over the years with both the swedish national team and in damallsvenskan. Strong as a horse, quick and can finish!

https://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/sillyseason/2021/12/30/uppgifter-blir-inte-united-for-blackstenius/

Last edited:

Lightbringer

Maybe change the title from "United players ask PFA for backing" to "Blackstenius in or not?" :D

Btw, I hope the recent good results have not lulled United into a false sense of security that we dont need recruitments ASAP, that would be terrible reasoning!

Last edited:

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Seems Blackstenius will NOT sign for United. While not set in stone, sportbladet usually has it right on swedish womens transfers. My bet is on her joining one of Uniteds biggest rivals in england instead. Probably some club will use her as a substitute luxury while keeping her from joining United. Our lack of ambition/reputation will show again! I feel really down about this as I really wanted it to happen and we desperately need another high quality striker to give Russo some help up front!

Blackstenius was one of the best performers during the olympics of all teams, so its definitely a quality player, I´ve watched her a ton over the years with both the swedish national team and in damallsvenskan. Strong as a horse, quick and can finish!

https://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/sillyseason/2021/12/30/uppgifter-blir-inte-united-for-blackstenius/
This is an interesting one. As Aftonbladet as you linked are saying she's going to WSL but def not to United, whereas Emma Sanders (who does have a very good reputation) is saying the opposite.

I'd normally take the Swedish links as correct, but Sanders has almost always been right, the only major thing I can think was she reported that Ludlow would be West Ham manager and that was very wrong (although of course it could have fallen through at last minute). Will be interesting to see who's right.

Also the same BBC article reports that Stoney is trying to sign Russo for San Diego (think thats the wrong choice for Russo anyway, she'd be risking her England chances by going there to sit on the bench for Morgan). Whats also mentioned is that Stoney wasn't allowed to sign any United players for 6 months after she left.

Lightbringer

This is an interesting one. As Aftonbladet as you linked are saying she's going to WSL but def not to United, whereas Emma Sanders (who does have a very good reputation) is saying the opposite.

I'd normally take the Swedish links as correct, but Sanders has almost always been right, the only major thing I can think was she reported that Ludlow would be West Ham manager and that was very wrong (although of course it could have fallen through at last minute). Will be interesting to see who's right.

Also the same BBC article reports that Stoney is trying to sign Russo for San Diego (think thats the wrong choice for Russo anyway, she'd be risking her England chances by going there to sit on the bench for Morgan). Whats also mentioned is that Stoney wasn't allowed to sign any United players for 6 months after she left.
I hope aftonbladet is the one not having a clue this time, but from before they´ve been pretty much spot on with everything regarding to swedish players transfers. Its almost as I suspect the players have a deal with aftonbladet to leak stuff to them to promote the game, they have been that valid. From what I understand is that after Sanders went out with her stuff, Aftonbladet went out to confirm that and got conflicting info. Its pretty bold that they are reallty saying she is NOT United bound, they are not just saying she has not decided yet, which would be have been more easy for them.

I saw that about Russo and became terrified, Stoney had such a massive impact on the players that she can pull them into her new project. Its vital that we can grab the 3rd place in the standings which will be very difficult, City will for sure come back strong.

Blackstenius should pick United, she´ll be an instant starter and key player while at City, Chelsea or Arsenal she could end up on the bench. Maybe Everton or Brighton that already has a bunch of swedes has something up the sleeve as well.

I just dont think we can rely on Russo carrying this team especially coming back from injury, she might just run out of steam. The club needs to invest now, or else risk losing Groenen, Russo & Ona. Of course that might happen anyways, but a champions leauge spot could put us in a better position surely when it comes to recruitment and getting players to stay etc.

Lightbringer

As expected Sportbladet was right and Emma Sanders was wrong :-( Not a peep from Sanders about relaying incorrect information of course either. Arsenal has a swedish coach as well, so they have an advantage there on top of offering guaranteed UCL football. What a shame!

Stina Blackstenius: Arsenal favourites to sign Sweden forward

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59917770

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
As expected Sportbladet was right and Emma Sanders was wrong :-( Arsenal has a swedish coach as well, so they have an advantage there on top of offering guaranteed UCL football. What a shame!

Stina Blackstenius: Arsenal favourites to sign Sweden forward

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59917770
Frustrating but not surprising. Very hard to say no to a team that's looking strong and is planning to keep strengthening. Ambition tends to draw the ambitious.

Current rumours aren't sounding good in terms of us strengthening. Worryingly it looks like Chelsea are chasing Ona Batlle, which would be a blow to us if it happens. There's a suggestion we might be able to use a deal like that to bring in Beth England, but even that just feels like Chelsea trading a squad member they don't need for a key United starter who we do need.

Maybe we've got some good news coming, on reinforcements and on contract extensions. It's hard to feel too optimistic right now though.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Frustrating but not surprising. Very hard to say no to a team that's looking strong and is planning to keep strengthening. Ambition tends to draw the ambitious.

Current rumours aren't sounding good in terms of us strengthening. Worryingly it looks like Chelsea are chasing Ona Batlle, which would be a blow to us if it happens. There's a suggestion we might be able to use a deal like that to bring in Beth England, but even that just feels like Chelsea trading a squad member they don't need for a key United starter who we do need.

Maybe we've got some good news coming, on reinforcements and on contract extensions. It's hard to feel too optimistic right now though.
It's posible that Batlle will go to Chelsea. But I do think it's more likely she'll wait it out 1 more year and then sign for Barca. She'll be past the age where they need to pay the excessive compensation then (500K I think it was till 24) and that is her team.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It's posible that Batlle will go to Chelsea. But I do think it's more likely she'll wait it out 1 more year and then sign for Barca. She'll be past the age where they need to pay the excessive compensation then (500K I think it was till 24) and that is her team.
I think that one I would accept more easily. I wouldn't be pleased, but I would understand it, and I understand why United are likely to lose her eventually.

Losing her to a WSL club would just feel wrong :D

In other news, the (almost certainly unhappy for us) end of the Stina Blackstenius transfer story approaches. The assumption is that Arsenal will announce her this week.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Arsenal confirm they've signed Blackstenius.

United are still working hard though. So that's reassuring :wenger:

It would be nice to see some contract renewals as well - lets hope they're working hard on keeping some of the players we've got.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Arsenal confirm they've signed Blackstenius.

United are still working hard though. So that's reassuring :wenger:

It would be nice to see some contract renewals as well - lets hope they're working hard on keeping some of the players we've got.
Yeah. I understand signing for Arsenal vs United but what I don't like is the lack of a backup plan and thats what it seems like for me right now.

I was sort of expecting 2/3 Jan signings, but now there's 2 weeks to go and there's only been fans spec. But we'll see, I do think the team are performing much better than they have for a very long time these days, so thats something.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Yeah. I understand signing for Arsenal vs United but what I don't like is the lack of a backup plan and thats what it seems like for me right now.

I was sort of expecting 2/3 Jan signings, but now there's 2 weeks to go and there's only been fans spec. But we'll see, I do think the team are performing much better than they have for a very long time these days, so thats something.
There are rumours that we're looking at loan deals now. US based players who need a few months work to prepare them for the Euros for example.

Rachel Daley for example is believed to have been training with United. No idea if that's true, or if it means more than the occasional training session, but after today's match at Leigh someone posted:

RedDevilQuebecois

A number of Canadian gold medal winners would definitely prefer playing in the WSL and, by extension, the UEFA Women's Champions League. I wish we could approach some of them since they are looking at ways to build upon that gold medal.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
There are rumours that we're looking at loan deals now. US based players who need a few months work to prepare them for the Euros for example.

Rachel Daley for example is believed to have been training with United. No idea if that's true, or if it means more than the occasional training session, but after today's match at Leigh someone posted:

Sorry Just seen this about Daly.

She's Millie T's partner, so I think thats why she's been keeping fit with United (and at games). IF she was signing as like a loan, I'd assume that would have already happened at the start of Jan. She's also got a long contract with Dash, so I think they'd want her back for preseason.

Certain other NWSL players have also been training at WSL teams (Carson Pickett has been at WHU as her gf plays there, Kristie Mewis was with Spurs as Kerrs her partner from Chelsea), but all seem to be for keeping themselves fit.