Transfers and contract news for WSL 20/21 season

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Lizzie Arnot (Scotland international) is leaving United.
So is Aimee Palmer (England U21s). She's only 19, so who knows we may see her back some day.

Both joined us right at the start, when we first joined the Championship - and both contributed to us winning the championship, but neither have been able to establish themselves as first choice players since we got promoted. Aimee was away on loan with Sheffield for part of this season.

Aurora Mikalsen, our Norwegian keeper who came in as cover last season and who played one game is leaving as well.

No news on their new teams yet, they're both free agents now. Good luck to all of them.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
For anyone who remembers the transfer forum debates about (Spanish) release clauses, here's the opposite of a release clause at work in the women's game - a compensation clause. The idea is to reward clubs for developing players, by giving them compensation if a player leaves at the end of their contact.

It's similar to a process sometimes used in the men's game to reward the training club when young players move. In Spain it's been brought into the women's game. But whereas a transfer fee in the women's game is seldom over £50k, some of these compensation clauses, for out of contract players, are being set at 500k :smirk:

However the fees apparently only apply to Spanish clubs, and it may be that United can intercept a very good young Spanish player, Ona Battle, who was otherwise believed to be on her way to Real Madrid. It's an ill wind and all that...

Grande

For anyone who remembers the transfer forum debates about (Spanish) release clauses, here's the opposite of a release clause at work in the women's game - a compensation clause. The idea is to reward clubs for developing players, by giving them compensation if a player leaves at the end of their contact.

It's similar to a process sometimes used in the men's game to reward the training club when young players move. In Spain it's been brought into the women's game. But whereas a transfer fee in the women's game is seldom over £50k, some of these compensation clauses, for out of contract players, are being set at 500k :smirk:

However the fees apparently only apply to Spanish clubs, and it may be that United can intercept a very good young Spanish player, Ona Battle, who was otherwise believed to be on her way to Real Madrid. It's an ill wind and all that...

Another great name!

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike

Chloe Kelly leaves Everton. Any chance she joins United? I reckon she'd be perfect here, but it seems more likely that she'll join one of the top 3.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Chloe Kelly leaves Everton. Any chance she joins United? I reckon she'd be perfect here, but it seems more likely that she'll join one of the top 3.
I've read that she's likely to go to City.

There were also rumours that Lucy Bronze is on her way to City, and maybe even Alex Greenwood. At any rate, it looks like they're in the market for new players.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Another great name!
A couple of Spanish papers are talking about it as if Ona to us is already a done deal, using her to talk about the effects of the new compensation rules.

The court case on the valuation rules has been pushed back into July (and who knows how long it'll take to get individual rulings/valuations after that). Everyone is convinced though that the rules will change - as they're clearly not working fairly.

It's thought that Ona would have had the choice of Barcelona (where she was born) or Real Madrid (Tacon officially become Real Madrid next season), but that the compensation fee makes those moves impossible.

Weird that it wouldn't apply to United of course, which will add to the pressure on the court case. At any rate, it may be that Ona has decided it's just not worth waiting for the case to conclude and that she'd rather guarantee a move to her new club in time for pre-season training. She definitely doesn't want to stay at Levante.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Ona has said goodbye to Levante. According to the Spanish press she's expected to come to United, but City may be in for her as well. But they seem to be linked with lots of players at the moment. Vamos a ver :smirk:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Twitter rumours continued - another Spanish player caught in the compensation clause trap is acting in interesting ways - becoming a follower, being followed by United players.

So for those who like reading the Twitter runes for clues: keep an eye on Eva Navarro. She's 19, a forward, she's already played for Spain and looks a real talent. Real Madrid want her, but not for the 500k compensation clause price - which we wouldn't have to pay. :D

Again, a lot will depend on whether she's willing to wait for the July court case to be resolved. There's also the gambling element - Madrid (or someone) might be so confident about the court case they'll pay the compensation clause, then try and claim it back. Lawyers eh.

Lightbringer

Jess Sigsworth signs 1+1 year deal extension.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53165596
---
Feels like I have not visited the forums in a very long time. I have gotten alot of United Women posts in my social media feeds however.

Where is the best place to look at our current squad and contract lengths? Manutd.com still shows we have 5 goaltenders, so thats not the best place obviously.

Mollie Green got loaned out, is she back now or has her contract expired?

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Mollie Green got loaned out, is she back now or has her contract expired?
I've not heard that she's got a new contract - I would think her current one runs out this month. So I'm sure we'll hear something soon. I would think we'll want her to stay but she's not a guaranteed starter, so she may be worried that she'll need to go out on loan again to get playing time.

She was back in her United shared house in April for lockdown, but they were still officially in training then.
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...ner-mollie-green-martha-harris-and-ella-toone

Lightbringer

I've not heard that she's got a new contract - I would think her current one runs out this month. So I'm sure we'll hear something soon. I would think we'll want her to stay but she's not a guaranteed starter, so she may be worried that she'll need to go out on loan again to get playing time.

She was back in her United shared house in April for lockdown, but they were still officially in training then.
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...ner-mollie-green-martha-harris-and-ella-toone
Thank you. Whats the status for Mille Turner and Ella Toone? They are my favourite players. I cant find any contract info when I google. The official womens super league page have nothing.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Still waiting for updates I think. This webpage generally updates quickly with transfers in/out and new contract announcements:
http://www.girlsontheball.com/transfer-tracker/

I think most of our (with us at the start) players were given two year contracts initially. The latest renewal I've heard about is for Jess Sigsworth. We seem to be offering one year contracts to some players at the moment.

Lightbringer

Ella Toone the latest to sign a new deal, hopefully Leah Galton is one of the next.

https://www.newschain.uk/sport/wome...a-toone-re-signs-wsl-club-two-year-deal-15749
Wow. And she got a 2 year deal as well, thats excellent. She got the best work ethic I have even seen.

Leah Galton signed a new contract in january for the 2020-2021 season, but of course it would be possible to extend it.

Is Millie Turner signed for next season? I cant find anything if I google to try and find out.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Wow. And she got a 2 year deal as well, thats excellent. She got the best work ethic I have even seen.

Leah Galton signed a new contract in january for the 2020-2021 season, but of course it would be possible to extend it.

Is Millie Turner signed for next season? I cant find anything if I google to try and find out.
Maybe she's been promised more play-time next season as there were rumours that she was looking to move on as no matter how well she did in her rare starts she knew she'd be back on the bench again the following game, the 4 goals in a Cup game the most obvious time.

On 27 January 2020, midway through her second season at the club, it was announced that Galton had signed a new contract to keep her at United until the end of 2020/21, with the option to extend for a further year.

I'm losing the plot here, I only read the above from the official website about a week ago. :rolleyes:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

I guess this means yes!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
United confirm exit of goalkeeper
Manchester United Woman have confirmed the exit of Siobhan Chamberlain by mutual consent after cancelling her contract.
Chmaberlain made 27 appearances for the Reds.
She said:
"I've loved every minute of my time as a Manchester United player.
"After discussions with (manager) Casey Stoney, we both agreed that now was the right time for me to move on and take time to consider the next steps in my career.
"I’m proud that we as a group of players have written a chapter in this great club’s history.
“The future of this club is in great hands with Casey and I have no doubt that trophies and success are not far away.”
10:18

Lightbringer

I guess this means yes!
:) Ah, yes. I saw the pictures on facebook. Wondeful. Obviously Millie seems very attached to United and her teammates if judging from social media! Its great we kept our most important core players!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Fran Bentley and Kirsty Smith are staying - we've activated the +1 bit of their contracts so that takes them through to the end of the 20/21 season.

Martha Harris has signed a new one year contract with a +1 option that could take her through to 2022.

croadyman

Think it's pretty safe to say there is nothing in this at all even though they are both class players

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Think it's pretty safe to say there is nothing in this at all even though they are both class players

?
The person is very reliable. I think it's happening.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Any official news on new signings yet?

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
As if Chelsea weren't looking scary enough, they've now signed Harder from Wolfsburg for around £250k

Gordon S

As if Chelsea weren't looking scary enough, they've now signed Harder from Wolfsburg for around £250k

Not surprising since her girlfriend is already playing there but, the competition in the WSL seems a bit ridiculous now! Harder is world class IMO

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Not surprising since her girlfriend is already playing there but, the competition in the WSL seems a bit ridiculous now! Harder is world class IMO
Yep, she really is. Chelsea look like they're building a squad to take on Lyon. Good thing for the women's game overall, but painful for me as a United fan, watching us trying to patiently build as the big three - and particularly City/Chelsea start to ramp up their investment.

Lightbringer

Yep, she really is. Chelsea look like they're building a squad to take on Lyon. Good thing for the women's game overall, but painful for me as a United fan, watching us trying to patiently build as the big three - and particularly City/Chelsea start to ramp up their investment.
You literally echoed my thoughts. It seems that when Chelsea and City feel United is getting closer they will just invest even more big sums in new signings, because they have oil-money that is forver going to flow!

Anyway, pardon me, I have a feeling you sent me or posted some links about Uniteds wage structure, or some kind of spending cap when its coming to transfers, wages, the running of the club. I have forgotten what it was exactly, shame on me.

But can United buy any players they and spend as much money they want with no limitations from the league? Can United pay the players what salarys they want or is it restricted by the league anyhow?

Or is it only United themselves who limit how much money is being invested in transfers and salarys for the players?

I apologize for asking this again, but I feel I understand exactly how this works. And I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me on these issues.

Thank you so much in advance!

Gordon S

You literally echoed my thoughts. It seems that when Chelsea and City feel United is getting closer they will just invest even more big sums in new signings, because they have oil-money that is forver going to flow!

Anyway, pardon me, I have a feeling you sent me or posted some links about Uniteds wage structure, or some kind of spending cap when its coming to transfers, wages, the running of the club. I have forgotten what it was exactly, shame on me.

But can United buy any players they and spend as much money they want with no limitations from the league? Can United pay the players what salarys they want or is it restricted by the league anyhow?

Or is it only United themselves who limit how much money is being invested in transfers and salarys for the players?

I apologize for asking this again, but I feel I understand exactly how this works. And I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me on these issues.

Thank you so much in advance!
Casey said this "the club need to "grow our budgets at a realistic expectation" and they are "aiming towards sustainability," as well as looking to compete. "

Guess its the club thats taken this stance. Surely womens teams can use the money that is in the club? Regardless of whats generated it. Or do they have completely separated budgets?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The clubs have to present a budget to the FA before the season starts. Salaries then aren't allowed to go above 40% of the budget - the FA say it's to encourage sustainability and fair competition. In reality though a club can choose how to draw up that budget. If they choose to, they can choose how much of the sponsorship income gets declared as income for the women's team. They can even choose whether the support staff (physios, kitmen etc) are on the salary budget or just assigned to the team by the parent club. Plus, as usual, there's some grey area about image rights, player sponsors and player responsibilities (like giving them a coaching job) that can give a player a better wage, without hitting the wage cap.

All the budget really does is offer some kind of commitment to completing the season. There are also minimum limits on home-grown players and some additional limits on non-EU players (though presumably they will be redrawn next year). Because of covid and the options that may have opened up (like Heath/Press) United's pre-declared budget may be different to what the club is now willing to do, and we may need permission to change it. We probably didn't declare a transfer budget either (we pick up free ones!) which again might not be the case if we need to buy/loan Heath/Press.

Chelsea will have declared a bigger budget in the first place and based on how their budget has grown over the years, they've probably also got a bit more contingency/acceptable overspend under the FA structure. United's budget last year was probably around £2m, Chelsea's around £5m. Lyon are spending about €7 or 8m - but say they are more or less breaking even at that.

To get an idea of the finances try:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Holy shit, I didn't realise Gauvin has signed for Everton? :drool: :drool: :drool:

Great to see her playing in England. Shame we never went in for her.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Everton have had a good summer shopping season. Willie Kirk looks like he's doing a good job with them.
She's a fantastic player. Bit wasted with Montpellier (no disrespect). She would have been a great partnership with Sigsworth.