Transfers you were genuinely gutted we missed out on

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I'll kick this off with a couple.

Eden Hazard (2012)

Alex Ferguson said:
I came to watch Lille play Lyon and followed Hazard of course, along with other players. He is a very good player who has many qualities. He is particularly fast over the first 10 yards.
Eden Hazard said:
When they won the Champions League I told myself, ‘Why not Chelsea?'” There was a struggle between Chelsea and United but, for me, Chelsea has the best project. It’s a wonderful club.

Jude Bellingham (2020)

In the spring of 2020 United hosted Bellingham and his family at their Carrington training ground and brought in some of their leading figures to help persuade him, including their greatest ever manager Sir Alex Ferguson, and one of their greatest ever players Eric Cantona. The club believed they were close to agreeing personal terms with him and were highly confident he would sign.

However, the factors of playing time and development were at the forefront of Bellingham’s mind and led to him ultimately opting to move to Germany. As United already had Paul Pogba, Scott McTominay, Fred, Nemanja Matic and Bruno Fernandes in central midfield, Bellingham was concerned he would only get limited playing time when he believed he was ready to become a first team regular.
Jude Bellingham said:
The way they integrate young players into the first-team squad is next level. There is not a club in Europe that does it quite like them.

OL29

Seeing Ronaldinho was joining Barca was genuinely heartbreaking, especially after losing Beckham a few months earlier

dinostar77

Ronaldinho, Shearer, Edgar Davids, Brian Laudrup and gazza.

More recently, toni kroos (lvg said no) and thiago (moyes said no).

AaronRedDevil

David Villa and Silva from Valencia. With Ronaldo’s goals and creativity gone from the team. Those two would have it covered nicely. Also Benzema.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
When my dad told me Ronaldinho had signed for Barca, I felt my stomach drop. I would've been 12 or so, and was so sure he was signing.

space

Modric and Hazard

Also Vidal because that transfer thread was epic

Jack-C20

Have shocking memory of all things football so not even sure how linked we were at the time but Modric. Brilliant every time I watch him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
David Villa and Silva from Valencia. With Ronaldo’s goals and creativity gone from the team. Those two would have it covered nicely. Also Benzema.
Bloody hell, David Villa, great shout - but he moved to Barca before Ronaldo left, no?

AaronRedDevil

Bloody hell, David Villa, great shout - but he moved to Barca before Ronaldo left, no?
They both left valencia in 2010. I was Pissed. Who the feck chooses man city over United back then. Must have been brown some envelopes going through there

cj_sparky

Not getting Edwin van der Sar earlier when we had a chance.

Same with Varane.

Was proper gutted when we didn't sign Batistuta after what seemed like really strong links. He was so iconic during the Serie A's Channel 4 heyday.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They both left valencia in 2010. I was Pissed. Who the feck chooses man city over United back then. Must have been brown some envelopes going through there
Ah yes. Yeah, David Silva was gutting to miss out on.

El-Manos

Moura was the worst. I was going into internet Cafe’s in France for any updates . Completely ruined my holiday :lol:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Celio Silva

id never heard of him but we had been linked to him all summer in about 96/97ish and everyday teletext told me it was almost done so I worked myself up about the whole saga. I don’t even think he was meant to have been good but he was Brazilian

gormless

Celio Silva

id never heard of him but we had been linked to him all summer in about 96/97ish and everyday teletext told me it was almost done so I worked myself up about the whole saga. I don’t even think he was meant to have been good but he was Brazilian
It was done. He didn’t get a work permit. If Brazil hadn’t won the 94 World Cup they would have had to play qualifiers and he would have had enough.

Selbourne

I remember as a kid I was really hyped that we signed Adem Ljajic, watched all these youtube videos and all. Turned out after a while it transpired that we never got a work permit and i was sad

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Ronaldinho.

Not picking Shearer as I don't think he was ever interested - more to his and our loss.

If we'd signed Gazza that summer do you think even SAF would have straightened him out? I reckon he would have for maybe 18 months but he would never have changed totally.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Alexis when he went to Barca
Thiago when he went to Bayern
Modric just any time he was at Spurs
Ronaldinho obviously
Neuer when he went to Bayern

Harold_Giles

I was sure we were getting Ronaldinho.
I was also at an age, 16 or 17, when football was the most important thing going on in my life:lol:
It was gutting when he then went to Barcelona.

Kaos

Sneijder. Granted his career took a slow dive after that, I genuinely thought he would have been brilliant under SAF.

Not a player, but I'm still annoyed at Woodward scaring Klopp away with his silly Disneyland pitch.