Travesty of Old Trafford: Enough is enough with our Mike Ashley-style owners

Tel074

It was made up bullshit that got tweeted by a bullshitter maybe?

Like the Ole 27% win rate bullshit that has been going around here for a while. Someone tweets, tonnes pass it on, all of a sudden it's gospel truth.

Don't come in here telling us "The is the man who publicly said" and then have no fecking proof to back up something controversial that the CEO of a one the World's biggest clubs said "publicly"

Jesus you are a touchy little girl . There is a thing called Google maybe you should give it a whirl instead of being such a bloody drama queen

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Let's get a Kickstarter going and buy the shit out of utd. What could go wrong?

Alternatively, I am prepared to witness us slowly slip into the abyss for the next decade.

Either/or.

Red Keane

Agreed. SAF was just a magician to keep us competing post Ronaldo, as we know the transfer windows were very underwhelming during that time but we kept fighting. Missed out on, Hazard, Robben, Thiago, Moura, Sneijder to name a few..
He very much was, the trouble was that the Glazers simply failed to understand this very point. Hence why we have fallen off a cliff ever since he left, because there simply no one else out out that could get players like Phil Jones to become PL winnners (Not even Kloop, who had to spend big just to be a position to win the PL/CL).

Red Keane

The stuff in parenthesis is laughable nonsense, especially in a season in which Chelsea can't buy, Spurs are fecking awful, Arsenal are somewhere near the relegation zone and Everton have fired their gaffer.
Chelsea couldn't buy at the start of the season, but even then they have still managed to do better than us. Likewise while Tottenham, Arsenal & Everton might be doing horribly, the same cannot be said for Leicester, Wolves and even Sheffield United. So under those circumstances its no surprise that this squad is not good enough to make Top 4 in this day and age

The bolded sounded so much like blatant bollocks from @Red Keane that I simply had to check it out:
So it is blatant bollocks to suggest that:
  • The squad is so poor, not even Fergie could drag this side to Top 4. Especially when he was unsucessfull in getting Phil Jones to actually know how to defend.
  • Thus the Glazers/Woodwood are more to blame for our sorry state than OGS due to their decade long refusal to properly address this.
  • Finshing 2nd with 81 points is not a great achivement and that is the case both at the time and now.
  • Signing 1 CB and 1 RB does not fix an entire defence.
  • Your more likely to do better at someone and make less mistakes if your position is always under threat.
Projected points total for Chelsea (currently in 4th) = 65 points.
Projected points total for City (currently in 3rd) = 80 points.
Projected points total for Leicester (currently in 2nd) = 81 points.
And where exactly did you get those points predictions from? Because judging by the upcoming fixtures, it would not be impossible for Chelsea to get 75-80 points, that is so long that Maria allows Lampard to spend the £400 million they have in the bank to spend on transfers. Likewise while Leicester's projected points total seems pretty accurate, with City I have my doubts so long as they are willing to get another decent CB though their books.

We finished 2nd on 81 points.
We used to win the League with even less, but the fact of the matter is that sort of points tally these days is only enough to make top 4 in the age of Pep & Klopp.

81 points gets you:
2012/13 - 2nd
2013/14 - 4th
2014/15 - 2nd
2015/16 - 1st
2016/17 - 3rd
That was all during a time when a team reaching 90+ points happend once in a Blue Moon, in fact the last team to win it with less (with 81 points funny enough) was Leicester, which was an usual event in itself. Since every team that has won the league has done so with 90+ points.

2018/19 - 3rd (9 points ahead of 4th)
While being 16 points behind 2nd place, regardless one has to factor that Tottenham again where undermined by a refusal by Levy to invest in the team (and their eventual focus on the CL), Arsenal giving up the PL to focus on the EL (why else would they start Mustafi in a back 4 against Leiester) and Chelsea continuing to suffer under Roman's mistress. Had that not been the case, at least one of those teams would have got 80+ points.

In short... you're chatting out of your arse mert!
In short, you fail to realise that 81 points is not the great achivement that it once was (enough for Top 4 maybe, but only just) and was only enought to get 2nd place that season due to the fact everyone other than City had somehow managed to mess up even more than we did. Which is a mean feat considering how United got humliated by likes of Huddersfield, Bristol City, West Brom & Sevilla.

UDontMessWith24

At least Mike Ashley is up front with the supporters about fecking the club. Ours try to blindfold us before we get fecked.

0161_UNITED

I have kept quiet for some weeks now. But recent developments have only served to underline the fact the club is on a downward spiral and changing the manager alone is not going to solve it. In a way as a diehard fan going back to the days when we were actually relegated from the top flight, it is easy just to try not to think about it. That 'denial' mode where you know things are bad, and have been since Ferguson left, but you just don't want to face it.

But I never imagined even under David Moyes that we would get to a state where players that should not be here, if we had any aspirations to be a top Prem side, let alone a top European side, are turning their backs on us.

Ashley Young. The club captain. Rejects an extra year contract at the age of 34. Which came too late, as his contract, as with young players such as Gomes and Chong have been allowed to run down so they can talk to other clubs now. Add to that Bailly, Matic, Fosu-Mensah and Borthwick-Jackson who are in the final six months and while we may say we won't miss them, we will if we do not replace, and we haven't replace Lukaku, Sanchez, Herrera, Fellaini...

Lingard, signs up with notorious superagent Mino Raola, who vowed that none of his players would be joining the club soon, claiming Man Utd would ruin Diego Maradona, Pele and Paolo Maldini. The same superagent who is trying to get Paul Pogba out of our club... quite transparently, with the French World Cup winner's full backing. Lingard, a player who has 18 appearances in the Prem as an attacking player and has zero goals and zero assists to his name, seems to wants out...but who would have him?

And the travesty is, we cannot afford to let these players go, even without our line of 'injuries'.

Meanwhile in the transfer market it is the same old same old. Lots of players we let it be known on a daily basis that we are interested in who are never going to come. Haaland the more concerning of the throng, as he actually has a relationship with our manager. He would rather go to Dortmund than United. Dortmund! How far we have fallen.

Any fan who has followed our progress in recent years will not hold out hope of signing anyone in January, and yet we desperately need reinforcements, especially a creative midfielders, and, belatedly, a striker to replace Lukaku, who we didn't want. And we appear to be interested in Raul Jimanez of Wolves, a player who is not as good as Lukaku as a replacement. So why did we get rid of the Belgian? Surely it cannot be that the 26-year-old was reaching an age where his resale value would begin to decline, and they had to cash in? It would not surprise me.

Why even discuss Maddison. Leicester were never going to let him go. It just makes us look like amateurs to be pretending to be after players who are not going to come. Just to have the excuse that "oh we tried".

This is Manchester United Football Club. The club of Best, Law, Charlton, Bryan Robson, Cantona, Beckham, Scholes, Keane et al. And we are embarrassingly scrambling around for players like a pig to an empty trough. And it is empty of our own making. Due to the mismanagement at the top of our football club, we are just not an attraction anymore, even for the deadwood that we should have been moving on to be replaced with players that would have us challenging for titles again. But the truth is that is all pie in the sky under this regime.

The only way we are going to challenge again for titles is a change of ownership and a revolution in the boardroom. People say we are being run as a business. Not very well. You don't asset strip your club. You don't leave it in a state where sponsors (eventually) won't want to back you, or if they do, will cut the money they give because we don't have Champions League. It reminds me of Mike Ashley. An owner that sees players as a commodity to make money out of FIRST, rather than players that can achieve on-field success for the club.

The reason we want young up-and-coming players is that they become assets that will increase in value and earn money. But relying on young players will not win us titles. That 'Class of 92' was a one off. We need a mix of youth and experience. We cannot rely on the likes of Greenwood, and we are being forced to, because we quite simply have nobody else. He is a young lad who at Chelsea, would have been out on loan learning his trade. Instead he is pushed into the toxic environment of Old Trafford. A club where you have players, and not just good ones, wanting out, with nobody of note wanting to come in.

The whole ethos of our club has to and must change. How that change happens? Well Newcastle fans tried voting with their feet. It hasn't worked. Ashley pretends to want to sell. But never does.

Yes it is another depressing post. But we have to face the reality of United in a new decade. We are going nowhere fast under Woodward and the Glazers.
You don’t remember when United were relegated and you’re not British.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
agree with most of nthe OP said. But I dont think changing players, owners, backroom staff is the thing that is needed. In fact I am gonna say it's the furthest thing away from what is needed without someone good steering the club.

LFC are enjoying successful period - Klopp (Despite the players he's got)
City successful period - Pep
United last successful period - SAF (Despite the owners)

United, more than ever need one of the above, and the closest I see to that is Poch. As City fan I would be worried if United got Poch, he will make United what they used to be.

TRUERED89

agree with most of nthe OP said. But I dont think changing players, owners, backroom staff is the thing that is needed. In fact I am gonna say it's the furthest thing away from what is needed without someone good steering the club.

LFC are enjoying successful period - Klopp (Despite the players he's got)
City successful period - Pep
United last successful period - SAF (Despite the owners)

United, more than ever need one of the above, and the closest I see to that is Poch. As City fan I would be worried if United got Poch, he will make United what they used to be.
Do you think he'd win a PL with United if appointed ? He was on course when Leicester won it. Could have made himself a legend but his team capitulated! So not 100% convinced.

In short, you fail to realise that 81 points is not the great achivement that it once was (enough for Top 4 maybe, but only just) and was only enought to get 2nd place that season due to the fact everyone other than City had somehow managed to mess up even more than we did. Which is a mean feat considering how United got humliated by likes of Huddersfield, Bristol City, West Brom & Sevilla.
"just enough for top 4"... based on what mate? Last season? ONE season? Wow.

It's been enough for a minimum of 3rd in all but 2 of the last 6 years, and will likely by all projections be 2 in 7 after this season.

More recent it's 3 in the past 4 seasons, and likely to be 4 in 5 seasons after this year.

So I don't fail to realise that you make up fake a reality in your own head? I back up my argument up with stats, yours is based on absolute fantasy.

Red Keane

As City fan I would be worried if United got Poch, he will make United what they used to be.
Not unless the Glazers are still in the picture, because for all his talents he is not suddenly going to turn Lindelof, Rojo, Jones, Fred & Lingard into World Class Players nor find ready made (and better) replacements for Lukaku, Fellaini & Herrera out of the Academy.

So considering that the squad Tottenham had at the time of is sacking is better than the current United squad; if he was to head to Manchester, while I would love for Poch to come to Old Trafford, I would not blame him if he choses to opt for City instead.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Do you think he'd win a PL with United if appointed ? He was on course when Leicester won it. Could have made himself a legend but his team capitulated! So not 100% convinced.
Utd are currently 8th...

Pochettino is an obvious improvement on the pathetic coaching set-up currently employed. So pull the fecking trigger.

He's challenged for the PL with far less resources than he'd have at Utd.

Red Keane

He's challenged for the PL with far less resources than he'd have at Utd.
He had a better base to start off from at Spurs than he would currently have at Manchester United. Likeiwse its all well and good having the resources United does have, but it means nothing if the Glazers are unwilling to allow Poch to use it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He had a better base to start off from at Spurs than he would currently have at Manchester United. Likeiwse its all well and good having the resources United does have, but it means nothing if the Glazers are unwilling to allow Poch to use it.
Glazer give this rookie manager 200m.

Stop.making excuses for ole

He has better base to start? Ole took over a team that finished 2nd before.

mu4c_20le

I don't understand why Bruno's price is always included in these figures, having only played 1 game?

0161_UNITED

What's that got to do with anything, Alf Garnett? Honestly - I'd like an answer here?
Responding to the poster that said this:
“In a way as a diehard fan going back to the days when we were actually relegated from the top flight, it is easy just to try not to think about it.”

I questioned the validity of that statement from the poster, and still do. And the odds are overwhelming that for someone to claim they remember the relegation, they would be not only English, but most likely from greater Manchester. “So, would, I think you’re most likely lying, and I doubt you’re from Greater Manchester.” Suit you?

Red Keane

There is a difference to finishing 19 points behind 1st place (and getting humiliated by Stoke City, Huddesfield, West Brom, Brighton, Bristol City, Basel & Sevilla) and a difference from being a Lovern Mistake away from winning a European Double. That is the difference between United finishing 2nd two seasons ago & Liverpool finishing 2nd last season.

Bottom line is ole is being given transfer fun quite lavishly.

More than pep klopp brendan
Rogers @ Liverpool: £156.1 Million Net Spend

Klopp @ Liverpool: £75.4 Million Net Spend

Pep @ City: £474 Million Net Spend

OGS @ United: £121.3 Million Net Spend

Thus this claim is clearly false; even when compared to Klopp, considering his Net Spend figure is only that low due to the high amounts of sales they have been able to achieve during his time at Anfield (and I am not just talking about Coutinho).

DFreshKing

What do you been by underinvested? Because financially that's not true at all.
This is the problem. When the bulk of the big purchase (vanity buys as above mentioned had a huge premium because they sell shirts (I.E some of that money should be accounted for as shirt sales investment instead of player investment) the finance does not stack up nearly as well as people think. Any of those players who have now been sold that sunk cost should be scrapped from the money spent column.

We have under invested because of the cycle the club is at too. You spend until the playing side is right even if you have to buy four fullbacks to get it right (see City and Pep). The sycophants who said JM should not buy another CB because he bought two missed the point completely.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is the problem. When the bulk of the big purchase (vanity buys as above mentioned had a huge premium because they sell shirts (I.E some of that money should be accounted for as shirt sales investment instead of player investment) the finance does not stack up nearly as well as people think. Any of those players who have now been sold that sunk cost should be scrapped from the money spent column.

We have under invested because of the cycle the club is at too. You spend until the playing side is right even if you have to buy four fullbacks to get it right (see City and Pep). The sycophants who said JM should not buy another CB because he bought two missed the point completely.
This makes no sense, shirt sales investments aren't a thing, clubs do not see a significant increase in their shirt sales after a purchase. And the second sentence is just incredible, it has if you think that the club has an endless access to money.

DFreshKing

Because to be honest, Unpopular opinion from me "he's doing the job with the best of intention, too bad it doesn't work out"

He listened to SAF, employed david moyes, agrees to his demand, etc. Naive, but he does listened to SAF
He tried to correct his mistakes, LVG seems a good and right options without a hindsight, backed him to the hilt.
He Employs Jose, back him again to the hilt. 3rd season somehow ended badly, maybe he's at fault here, but I can see his intention
Whoever he listened to to employ Ole, maybe he wants to try giving the fans what they want, a united value modern attacking manager. Doesn't work, but who can blame him, he was sold on 15 straight wins, we all did.

Stupid yes, evil? Nope.

This Ed woodward, if he lives long enough to find his klopp (or god forbid his SAF), would be just what they (new manager) needs. A CEO who trusted his employee, doesn't interfere, knows which is his job and which isn't.
Not sure where to start with this but please look at the recruitment we have had, the deals he has struck for wages and transfer fees and you think poor Ed has it tough and it's everyone else fault i'm actually flabbergasted. One thing Ole has done is straightened this transfer strategy somewhat with solid youngish British players and some absolute quality from Europe (including mentality and desire to succeed here). Much more like a Manchester United transfer policy - and long may it continue.

DFreshKing

*In three windows with a huge reduction in squad wages and £100m+ back in player sales but just typing £200m is so much more cathartic........ oh an the old 2nd place chestnut as well, we were in 6th with only 7 wins from 17 matches when Ole actually took over not some random position 7 months before he took charge.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
*In three windows with a huge reduction in squad wages and £100m+ back in player sales but just typing £200m is so much more cathartic........ oh an the old 2nd place chestnut as well, we were in 6th with only 7 wins from 17 matches when Ole actually took over not some random position 7 months before he took charge.
Oh. where we are now?

DFreshKing

Oh. where we are now?
Yeah pretty much. It is the squads position with the injuries we've had but with finally some quality midfield we may still scrape his target of 4th and or sneak a CL place through Europa provided he actually starts playing a proper team/formation in it.

I do understand why he rotated last night but we now have to play a strong team to get the game won at Old Trafford quickly, an early exit and a couple of loses in the league and it can unravel and Poch lovers will probably get their wish - I'm just not sold on how much difference it will make but at least Ole has bought well for next season whoever is in charge.