Trent Alexander Arnold

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Another full back who is so brilliant offensively that people automatically think he’s poor defensively. He’s not.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Another full back who is so brilliant offensively that people automatically think he’s poor defensively. He’s not.
He was dominated by Rashford and Zaha in successive games two years ago. I think that's where this "obviously he's suspect defensively" idea originates.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Can't think of many more influential full backs to a club team in recent times, maybe only Dani Alves at Sevilla and Lahm at Bayern are comparable. They have many ways to win a match but they never look quite right without him in the team, he's essentially become their playmaker from right back. Case in point in the Club World Cup semi final when they were pretty poor until he comes on then he plays a perfect pass for the winner.
Kimmich at Bayern was getting as many assists when he was playing at RB. He was their best playmaker, like TAA at Pool.

Nickelodeon

His ability to pass and cross would’ve been much more hyped had he not been a RB. His left footed cross field ball for Liverpool’s second goal against City was stunning. And he does it regularly. Defensively, there are no major weaknesses too. Add the deadball threat as well and he’s quite close to a perfect FB as anyone could be.

In TAA and Robertson, Liverpool comfortably have the best FB pairing in Europe.

friedeggden

Supports
Liverpool
Robertson is the better full back I think from the few Liverpool games I've seen.
What Liverpool games have you seen? TAA is the superior passer, crosser and probably defender. And he's faster.

Unless you watch Liverpool regularly you probably wouldn't notice how little Salah does defensively in comparison to Mane. Robertson gets more support down the left from Mane for sure. He's still world class, but TAA is the better full back for sure.

SplitzMagic

That's the difference between winning and losing now. Having a full back that can do what he does.

Meanwhile, we have one 50m full back that can only defend (brilliantly) and another who is overall closer to garbage than being decent (Shaw).

The reason why AWB shined is the same as Maguire. They were playing for teams that got peppered each game so they had some great defensive stats compared to their rivals.

So basically, our defence is perfect for teams that will pepper us but not great going forward (fullbacks).

We need more from our players!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think he's poor per se, but when you look to the left flank and see how Robertson just locks that down, then TAA isn't there. He gets roasted against top quality wingers now and then.

Doesn't make him poor, but neither does it make him top class defensively.

He's improving though. Was really good defending last night.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
What Liverpool games have you seen? TAA is the superior passer, crosser and probably defender. And he's faster.
Nah.

Robbo is faster and clearly the better defender.

And TAA may be better, but robbo has a good shout for being the second best fullback in the game himself.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Robertson is the better full back I think from the few Liverpool games I've seen.
Robertson’s certainly more balanced in his spread of attacking and defensive attributes. He covers better, wins the ball better and defends over his shoulder with greater focus.

I’d still take Trent for his overall contribution in the system this season.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Unless you watch Liverpool regularly you probably wouldn't notice how little Salah does defensively in comparison to Mane. Robertson gets more support down the left from Mane for sure. He's still world class, but TAA is the better full back for sure.
Robertson is the better defender I would say, also has a mean cross on him. Salah puts in less of a shift, but I also feel Liverpool are more vulnerable on that flank as well. Not blaming TAA for that totally but still.

adexkola

Supports
Robertson’s certainly more balanced in his spread of attacking and defensive attributes. He covers better, wins the ball better and defends over his shoulder with greater focus.

I’d still take Trent for his overall contribution in the system this season.
How has Robertson been for Scotland? He's captain right?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Robertson is the better defender I would say, also has a mean cross on him. Salah puts in less of a shift, but I also feel Liverpool are more vulnerable on that flank as well. Not blaming TAA for that totally but still.
Our left flank is basically cheat mode. There's robbo, Mane tracks back quite well and past that is van dijk. It's as 'best in the world' as it gets.

Most teams have just given up on attacking down our left and focus on trying to get through past TAA and where the nearest centreback is not van dijk.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The system brings the best out of TAA. They okay to his strengths which is incredible when you think of the attacking talent they have
The Real question is though, how long before the big clubs start sniffing around?

adexkola

Supports
Our left flank is basically cheat mode. There's robbo, Mane tracks back quite well and past that is van dijk. It's as 'best in the world' as it gets.

Most teams have just given up on attacking down our left and focus on trying to get through past TAA and where the nearest centreback is not van dijk.
Keep in mind, when I say vulnerable, it's relative. It's not like TAA is a liability defensively!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
How has Robertson been for Scotland? He's captain right?
Hasn’t hit the same heights. Partly because he has more shite around him and partly because he’s overcompensating by trying too hard and making uncharacteristic errors. Still, we are a team in major transition and I’m sure his quality will shine through once the new manager gets a few games under his belt.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
The system brings the best out of TAA. They okay to his strengths which is incredible when you think of the attacking talent they have
The Real question is though, how long before the big clubs start sniffing around?
I'd be really surprised if TAA would leave his boyhood club especially when they are winning the big trophies and are currently the best team in the world.

Newstar

Supports
Liverpool
He was dominated by Rashford and Zaha in successive games two years ago. I think that's where this "obviously he's suspect defensively" idea originates.

Mad isn’t it, that people have to go back to his first full season when he was about 19, learning a new position, to try and make a point of how bad he is defensively right now...

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hasn’t hit the same heights. Partly because he has more shite around him and partly because he’s overcompensating by trying too hard and making uncharacteristic errors. Still, we are a team in major transition and I’m sure his quality will shine through once the new manager gets a few games under his belt.
Agreed, Robbo is a better defender than TAA for me.

TheReligion

Abusive
He was dominated by City this season too. Great player but his weak area is defending.

vkd

Supports
liverpool
A lot of people commenting on our players being seduced by big money elsewhere.

The worst thing for our rivals is Klopp with an empty check.

He knows how to buy when to sell and how to extract every single bit of quality from every player.

It was the same thing with Fergie.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
He was dominated by City this season too. Great player but his weak area is defending.
Yet we had the best defensive record with him in the team last season, & we currently have the best defensive record this season. That's not to say that I disagree with you regarding his defensive qualities, it's just that it's not really that important - for us anyway - in the grand scheme of things. Besides, he's not what you could call a conventional full-back as he probably spends more time in the opposition half than he does in his own.

C_Senior

Supports
Liverpool fc
He has been sensational this season. He's really enjoying his football. And he's on 8 assists already. 4 less than his previous total last season in the league alone...

C_Senior

Supports
Liverpool fc
At this rate he'll better his tally that got him the Guinness book of record award last season.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
He’s at a club that’s going through a current success cycle but he’s not at a Barca or a Madrid
At this rate, he’d probably cost 100m at a minimum which I doubt anyone would pay.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
At this rate, he’d probably cost 100m at a minimum which I doubt anyone would pay.
I didn’t think anyone would pay so much for coutinho but they did. €80+ is a drop in the ocean now to big clubs, they don’t blink if they want said player

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He’s at a club that’s going through a current success cycle but he’s not at a Barca or a Madrid
Hes a homegrown Scouser, only way he even considers leaving is if Liverpool dive back down to 10-17 levels.

Furthermore I don't think it's a good idea Klopp being given more money, I'd rather we left that squad alone to eventually stagnate (judging by his transfer patterns so far, FSG will only give him serious money with a big sale) instead of giving him a lump sum to allow him to reinvigorate with 3-4 players.

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
I didn’t think anyone would pay so much for coutinho but they did. €80+ is a drop in the ocean now to big clubs, they don’t blink if they want said player
He's not going anywhere despite your fantasies. He's a loyal scouser winning European Cups and Premier leagues. He has no reason to leave.

TJ2318H

Supports
Liverpool
Best RB in the world. English and only 21 years old.
He would be worth 200m+ not that LFC would ever sell him.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I get what you’re saying, but he’d cost more than €80m. More like £100m, as ridiculous as it may sound for a rb. And even for Barca and Real, that’s a big lump of money.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I get what you’re saying, but he’d cost more than €80m. More like £100m, as ridiculous as it may sound for a rb. And even for Barca and Real, that’s a big lump of money.
Especially since they already have very good options at RB. Madrid has Carvalho and they'll eventually have Hakimi, who's probably the second biggest talent at RB. Barca just recently signed Semedo and it seems he finally works for them. Also a very good RB.

So yeah, hard to tell if any club that would be an improvement on Liverpool even has demand for TAA.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know why people are getting a bit upset with mentioning he's a bit suspect 1 on 1, he is, however that doesn't mean he isn't a world class right back, even more so in a system like Liverpool's where he's going to be attacking 10 times for every one time he defends and has three other top defenders playing with him.

The more curious thing is how can Southgate get the best of him, he's looked like a caricature version of himself at international level and without the strict structure and inferior defensive team mates seems to be caught out a bit more (Kosovo at St Mary's prime example). I think given the midfield weakness England should plump for a 343 with Trent at RWB.