Trent Alexander Arnold

Loublaze

ATLien
Oh hell no. Hands down TAA.

But at the moment it's close. 4 months ago it wasn't close.
Its not close IMO. I didn't even say he's the best "by far" as you suggest, as if you were quoting me verbatim :lol:. I think we can both agree Arnold is the main man at RB right now.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Personally I think AWB is the best defensive right back in the league but TAA is the best offensive RB
Yep this. I don’t even worry when a winger runs down AWB’s side anymore, regardless of who the winger is. It’s a strange feeling really.

TAA is way ahead of him offensively though.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yep this. I don’t even worry when a winger runs down AWB’s side anymore, regardless of who the winger is. It’s a strange feeling really.

TAA is way ahead of him offensively though.
The guy is a tank. Sometimes wonder if he’d be better employed at CB

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Do we have some gem of that ilk in our youth teams?
Laird could easily make it, while Puigmal although a midfielder, hass played really well at RB. They're both still 17/18 so I doubt we'll see Laird very much for a season while Puigmal could get an opportunity. He has to take his chance

Josh 76

When are teams going to realise, him and Robertson are the two danger men for Liverpool. Stop them, you will see Liverpool being less effective. Hope Poch is working on this.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
I just hope all this success doesn't go to his head and he keeps his feet firmly on ground and keep working hard. I still feel he needs to improve his defensive side of the game to be considered the best in the world. My assumption, due to his defensive frailties Klopp didnt trust him in 1st leg at Camp Nou. He generally have trouble with pacey wingers. Future is bright for him and I hope under Klopp he becomes the best in the world.

Rashford story is similar to TAA and I think he is a good lad and has qualities required for a good striker. With good coaching he too could become one of the best strikers in the world. I feel under Klopp he would have flourished just like TAA.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Better to post it like this

I've never seen a RB like him, he's truly unique. All great fullbacks of recent years were kind of similar, physical beasts that can run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes. Decent technique, good passers etc., like Alves, Alba, Alaba, Lahm, Maicon, Evra, Cole and so forth. But there was never one that could play such great long passes like Alexander Arnold. He's the first of his type, something like a Beckham as RB (not that good, obviously, but playstyle-wise). It gives a really interesting dimension to Liverpool's game.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Funny thing is he never had those passing skills when I watched him as a youngster. I was more excited about his dribbling ability, though for some reason England youth coaches would use him as a defensive mid. :houllier:

If he hasn't completely abandoned his dribbling I'd like to see him use more of that next season. Add yet another dimension.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I've never seen a RB like him, he's truly unique. All great fullbacks of recent years were kind of similar, physical beasts that can run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes. Decent technique, good passers etc., like Alves, Alba, Alaba, Lahm, Maicon, Evra, Cole and so forth. But there was never one that could play such great long passes like Alexander Arnold. He's the first of his type, something like a Beckham as RB (not that good, obviously, but playstyle-wise). It gives a really interesting dimension to Liverpool's game.
The one full back who has great long passing is the greatest of all time IMO Carlos Alberto. He could hit all sorts of passes although Trent hits crosses with more whip and Alberto long passing was more penetrating IMO.

Trent’s style is actually quite similar to him although obviously it is a reach to say he’s going to be that level but if there is one historic player who is similar to him in style - it is him.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The one full back who has great long passing is the greatest of all time IMO Carlos Alberto. He could hit all sorts of passes although Trent hits crosses with more whip and Alberto long passing was more penetrating IMO.

Trent’s style is actually quite similar to him although obviously it is a reach to say he’s going to be that level but if there is one historic player who is similar to him in style - it is him.
I'm afraid you've got that one wrong. According to Roy Hodgson, we've already had one fullback like Carlos Alberto in recent-ish times and I don't think he was much like TAA:

"... We were much more incisive, we got behind them more, we got behind them down the flanks, and Jamie Carragher was bombing down there like Carlos Alberto of old." (after a 2-1 win against Blackburn)

starman

Pereira is the best RB in the league for me, as competent in attack as in defence.
But TAA is a extraordinary talent, a generational one, he is not quite there yet defensively, but going forward he is fantastic, 15 years ago he would be playing right mid and won't have to worry as much about defence. He is the best crosser since Beckham, imo.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Pereira is the best RB in the league for me, as competent in attack as in defence.
But TAA is a extraordinary talent, a generational one, he is not quite there yet defensively, but going forward he is fantastic, 15 years ago he would be playing right mid and won't have to worry as much about defence. He is the best crosser since Beckham, imo.
Who is Perreira. Can't recall seeing him much at RB for any club. Is he the one that plays for Watford?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What about Kimmich? I also wouldn't categorize Lahm as a typical fullback - he too, had playmaking qualities - though perhaps not as obvious as Kimmich.

Classical Mechanic

Do we have some gem of that ilk in our youth teams?
Not with the long passing range no. Laird is a big RB talent but more in the common full back style. Garner is a ball player with good passing and passing range but not at the long passing quality of TAA.

He needs to be a bit more consistent with his passing and improve his defensive awareness and positioning. That said, he has 8 assists in the last 9 games for Liverpool so has been in his best form at the crucial time.

I watch a fair bit of Leicester and he has made a fair few bad defensive errors this season. Be happy to see him at United mind.

starman

I watch a fair bit of Leicester and he has made a fair few bad defensive errors this season. Be happy to see him at United mind.
Other then AWB, they all have made a number of errors, but to me he is the most balanced player of the contenders for the best RB in the league

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What about Kimmich? I also wouldn't categorize Lahm as a typical fullback - he too, had playmaking qualities - though perhaps not as obvious as Kimmich.
Of course they are differently good at different aspects of their game. Kimmich and Lahm are more of playmakers while Dani Alves or Maicon are/were physical beasts. But I think Alexander Arnold still stands out. These incredible long balls from the right flank really remind me of Beckham and I wouldn't describe Beckham as a playmaker, so I don't think that's an accurate description of Alexander Arnold either.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Of course they are differently good at different aspects of their game. Kimmich and Lahm are more of playmakers while Dani Alves or Maicon are/were physical beasts. But I think Alexander Arnold still stands out. These incredible long balls from the right flank really remind me of Beckham and I wouldn't describe Beckham as a playmaker, so I don't think that's an accurate description of Alexander Arnold either.
I meant to describe those passes as playmaking, since they are creative and penetrating, I don't necessarily mean the player's role.
And while they are definitely quite uncommon I don't think it's unique, as FBs and CMs are becoming more closely related.
See Lahm, Kimmich, Alaba, Guerreiro and Henrichs from Bundesliga alone who played both roles. They all differ in their passing ability or preference of course, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kimmich for example ended up playing similar passes in a similar tactical context.

Classical Mechanic

I meant to describe those passes as playmaking, since they are creative and penetrating, I don't necessarily mean the player's role.
And while they are definitely quite uncommon I don't think it's unique, as FBs and CMs are becoming more closely related.
See Lahm, Kimmich, Alaba, Guerreiro and Henrichs from Bundesliga alone who played both roles. They all differ in their passing ability or preference of course, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kimmich for example ended up playing similar passes in a similar tactical context.
Not sure about that. There's always tactical context to play passes like that. Do Bayern never break or end up in situations where switches are possible?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
See also Milner. Here's his comments on learning how to play leftback when Klopp asked him to help out with keeping Moreno from getting games:

“It is a bit irrelevant to speak to someone who has played there in the past as the way that this manager plays is very different to a left-back say five years ago.
“A lot of time in this team you are like a winger and on the front foot.
“So I could speak to other left backs but the way this manager wants his full-backs to play is completely different to how other managers want them to play.”

Also Klopp:

"For us, it was clear that if Millie was open for this position then everything would be good.
"It was not a big surprise for us - not because we are geniuses, only because we already knew him and knew how we wanted to play from the position."

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
When are teams going to realise, him and Robertson are the two danger men for Liverpool. Stop them, you will see Liverpool being less effective. Hope Poch is working on this.
Not sure. They stretch teams but Mane and Salah will just move into the space available if Robertson and TAA dont go forward or are nullified in some way.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Nah, not buying this. His talent was there for all to see, you'd have to be stupid not to give him a chance. If you're good enough, every manager will give you opportunities. Hudson-Odoi and Foden are also playing quite regularly now and they're 2 years younger than TAA is.

He was a midfielder in the youth ranks but it was known that he could also be used as a RB, just like Gerrard in his early days. I hope he shifts back to midfield sooner or later but there's no urgency given how well he's doing at RB. That position is basically a winger in our team as well given how advanced/to the inside Salah is usually positioned, and with his delivery and crossing ability, every manager in the world would give him the opportunity to prove himself - especially if you keep in mind that he first got his big chance from Klopp when Clyne was out injured and Gomez was used at CB.

Credit Klopp with developing him all you like, but sometimes young players are simply talented enough to be picked, and that's the end of it. It's really not like Klopp discovered him on his own in the youth teams and boldly decided to play him or anything like that.
Unless something goes wrong there’s absolutely no need to move him in to midfield. Fullbacks are integral to modern football and especially the way we play now, good ones are hard to come by, we’ve got two great ones. Would be ludicrous to shift him to midfield, much easier to find a world class centre mid than a world class fullback. They’re scarce.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'm afraid you've got that one wrong. According to Roy Hodgson, we've already had one fullback like Carlos Alberto in recent-ish times and I don't think he was much like TAA:

"... We were much more incisive, we got behind them more, we got behind them down the flanks, and Jamie Carragher was bombing down there like Carlos Alberto of old." (after a 2-1 win against Blackburn)
I bow down to Woy’s superior wisdom :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not sure about that. There's always tactical context to play passes like that. Do Bayern never break or end up in situations where switches are possible?

You need an open flank, a LB who makes that run and a coach who actually wants to take that risk and creates enough mutual understanding between FBs that pass and run are in sync.
I don't watch Bayern often enough to say how often such an option presents itself to Kimmich and how he acts on it, but my guess would be that their opposition very very rarely exposes their flank like that.

My point was more that it isn't that unique for a modern FB to have a good passing range and think about inverse options. Where it was the hip thing to train wingers into fullbacks in the past things have now evolved to CM being the new position to supply modern FBs.

Last edited:

Mugiwarared71

I know what you mean.

But like I said, fullbacks are becoming an increasingly important part of football, particularly those with good attacking skills. And if he keeps developing, he can become our own Roberto Carlos - not Finnan:lol:

funny thing is they have been important in the past also as well as every position on the pitch just certain players reinvent things

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
Best right back in the league for me. Himself & Robertson are quality.
it is no coincidence when players play for liverpool they magically become better

chamberlain is completely different player from the one at arsenal under wenger... passing, first touch, etc, all improved

looking at the state of united...

sterling is the best england forward because he plays under guardiola

they are improving the national team. this is because of pep and klopp

edit: infact as soon as chamberlain gets back in the team he will score

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...ddersfield-to-go-top-once-again-38054633.html oh he played in the huddersfield game. he'll get a goal. just back from injury

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Unless something goes wrong there’s absolutely no need to move him in to midfield. Fullbacks are integral to modern football and especially the way we play now, good ones are hard to come by, we’ve got two great ones. Would be ludicrous to shift him to midfield, much easier to find a world class centre mid than a world class fullback. They’re scarce.
He already plays as a midfielder anyways

Schneckerl

Liverpool with the best FB pairing in the world right now and they got them for basically nothing....

Classical Mechanic

it is no coincidence when players play for liverpool they magically become better

chamberlain is completely different player from the one at arsenal under wenger... passing, first touch, etc, all improved

looking at the state of united...

sterling is the best england forward because he plays under guardiola

they are improving the national team. this is because of pep and klopp

edit: infact as soon as chamberlain gets back in the team he will score

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...ddersfield-to-go-top-once-again-38054633.html oh he played in the huddersfield game. he'll get a goal. just back from injury
This doesn't make sense. Sterling has played under Pep for three seasons now and has been absolutely rubbish for England for most of that time.

It obviously helps England that their players play under top coaches at club level but the reasons for the improvement of the national team is multifarious.

Thiagoal

When you look at this guy, Joe Gomez, VVD and Robertson it's quite depressing thinking that the Scousers defence is basically sorted for the next 5-10 years...meanwhile at United...

Classical Mechanic

When you look at this guy, Joe Gomez, VVD and Robertson it's quite depressing thinking that the Scousers defence is basically sorted for the next 5-10 years...meanwhile at United...
I wouldn't bet on Gomez being a consistent force. He's a talent but is very injury prone and has already had a number of serious injuries at a very young age.

GNRfan

Supports
Liverpool
A lot of teams do try to stop the fullbacks, but the problem is that other players take their space. We have a lot of pacey players that the opposition have to contend with.
Also, we have Milner who provides overlapping runs and is a good crosser of the ball, too.

And if the fullbacks are marked, Virgil and Matip play cross field balls to the front.
Our midfield has improved now as well, so there is that threat to contend with as well.

Trent needs to work on his defending, but everything else is exemplary. Incredible player at just 20 years of age.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bestietom

Both he and Robertson have done brilliant this season. Proves you don't have to go for ready made players all the time.