Trent Alexander Arnold

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
This doesn't make sense. Sterling has played under Pep for three seasons now and has been absolutely rubbish for England for most of that time.

It obviously helps England that their players play under top coaches at club level but the reasons for the improvement of the national team is multifarious.
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...has-blossomed-into-a-truly-world-class-player

You know nothing about football. Just be thankful you have Pep and Klopp improving players. When Chamberlain is back...

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
I think that's a poor article to support your arrogant assertion as it gives a lot of credit to his coach at QPR for his development too - i.e. these things are multifarious.

To attribute England's improvement to Klopp and Guardiola is hyperbolic, simplistic and just wrong.

"Has a become a world class player under pep guardiola"

Classical Mechanic

"Has a become a world class player under pep guardiola"
Sterling had scored two goals for England in his whole career before October of last year. His international performance was abject in the extreme. This continued 2 and half seasons into Pep's reign. Only very recently has he started to perform.

As I said before, the reasons for England's improvement is multifarious. The players playing at a high level and for top coaches at club level helps but attributing the improvement just to those coaches is simply incorrect and a disservice to the many actors in the equation.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
Sterling had scored two goals for England in his whole career before October of last year. His international performance was abject in the extreme. This continued 2 and half seasons into Pep's reign. Only very recently has he started to perform.

As I said before, the reasons for England's improvement is multifarious. The players playing at a high level and for top coaches at club level helps but attributing the improvement just to those coaches is simply incorrect and a disservice to the many actors in the equation.
it was only a matter of time, though. under pep he was getting better, better, and better under. you noticed it. now he's bangin' them in like what he does for city. now he plays the same way for england. world class managers improve players.

People call him a chequebook manager, but underneath all that you can tell he's good at coaching. he made probably the best barcelona team ever. Players like Bernardo Silva are gunna come in and "look" like good players. De Bruyne improved aswell.

Pep is world class. He's gunna bring in players like Sane and Silva and they will shine. Any english youngsters he brings in... they will shine too.

Last edited:

F-A-C-T-S

Why was he not playing last night? He starts that match and England's threat level rises exponentially.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why he isn't England's first choice RB I'll never know. Southgate is too loyal to certain players. It'll probably take Pep benching Walker for Southgate to finally insert Trent as first choice.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Happy to see the back of Walker, he’s a rubbish footballer who has been fortunate to be blessed with speed and strength. Poor going backwards and forwards for me, and Trent and AWB will put his place in the squad under severe pressure if they continue as they have been.

DownRiver

It's crazy how we are the only team that doesn't even have one player who can cross the ball consistently. Last person like him is probably Baines that was decent.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
What a talented kid, beckham-esque delivery and England’s best player today. He could have had 6 assists today, is he the best RB in the world at age 20? To me he is the Mbappe of RB’s.
MBappe is the Trent of strikers.

QoS

Supports
Liverpool
So much potential. Still got work to do on the defensive side of his game for sure. Has the odd game where he will be run ragged.

Going forward though I dont think theres many better right backs about at the moment.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
God this lad is good with his crossing and passing. Insanely jealous. Will just have to work on tucking in when necessary and not engaging too high from his back 4 and the scouse will easily have the best RB in the game! :(

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
God this lad is good with his crossing and passing. Insanely jealous. Will just have to work on tucking in when necessary and not engaging too high from his back 4 and the scouse will easily have the best RB in the game! :(
Amazing to think our 2 fullbacks cost a combined £8 million. Joel Matip who partnered VVD in the CL final came on a free, whilst Gomez cost us buttons when we signed him from Charlton.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Amazing to think our 2 fullbacks cost a combined £8 million. Joel Matip who partnered VVD in the CL final came on a free, whilst Gomez cost us buttons when we signed him from Charlton.
Yeah, I said before VVD came Matip was a great free. The jury is still out on Gomez whether he can stay fit a full season, undoubtedly talented though. It’s fecking grim watching for us you lot at the moment.

Skills

Snitch
TAA is the perfect example of what investing game time in talent does for you. Half of this forum & Mourinho would've had TAA relegated to the bench last season after he got a bit of a working by Rashford. Would've signed a 50m replacement and stuck him on the bench to 'learn'.

Klopp and Liverpool knew what they had in their hands, and instead rode through it with him and he's paying them back with interest. He's been exceptionally well handled.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"No value in the market"

ariveded

He is wasted at RB, he should and will be moved to central midfield eventually is my guess.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
He is wasted at RB, he should and will be moved to central midfield eventually is my guess.
Huh? He is now one of the brightest prospect in the world at this position. True, he might be moved to midfield but I'd rather he be one of the best at fullback then an average centre midfielder.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I disagree, in the modern game fullbacks as dynamic going forward as he is are golddust.

People rave (rightly) about Pool's front three, VVD and Alisson but if i got choose two of their players to take at Chelsea next season i would pick the fullbacks.

Kag

TAA is the perfect example of what investing game time in talent does for you. Half of this forum & Mourinho would've had TAA relegated to the bench last season after he got a bit of a working by Rashford. Would've signed a 50m replacement and stuck him on the bench to 'learn'.

Klopp and Liverpool knew what they had in their hands, and instead rode through it with him and he's paying them back with interest. He's been exceptionally well handled.
So true. Take Wan Bissaka. It’s all well and good when he’s given the breakthrough at Palace and performing. Let’s buy him for millions. But would he have been given those opportunities if he were here? Or forgotten about in favour of an expensive young player from a team like... Palace?

I’m not suggesting we have an Alexander-Arnold coming through the ranks; I don’t know. But if we do then he needs games, whether that be at United or elsewhere.

No young player has ever improved by sitting on sidelines. Discounting Tom Cleverley, of course...

Pace Abuser

Has he posted the percentage figure of youth players that go on to win the UCL yet?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He's got to be one of Liverpool's most important players, which is rare for a RB. He's like having de Bruyne at full-back. Ridiculously good at crossing and set pieces. Forget his potential, if he maintains the level he's played at this season he'll have a fantastic career. Defensively he's still a bit suspect but if he improves on that then he's going to be immense.

fastwalker

But that is management maturity for you. In terms of player development, Klopp is of a different order and on a different planet compared to most other managers and certainly compared to Jose. We have seen Klopp's approach with any one of a number of players that he has handled at Liverpool. Whilst I do not believe that Ole should flood the first team with youth players, I do believe that he should give one or two a run and back them. Failure to do so will stunt their development.

vkd

Supports
liverpool
But that is management maturity for you. In terms of player development, Klopp is of a different order and on a different planet compared to most other managers and certainly compared to Jose. We have seen Klopp's approach with any one of a number of players that he has handled at Liverpool. Whilst I do not believe that Ole should flood the first team with youth players, I do believe that he should give one or two a run and back them. Failure to do so will stunt their development.

The approach of both clubs has changed completely. During Fergie's reign at United, player development was the stick that the caf used mostly against us. We were mocked endlessly for the talent graveyard that we were back then.

Our complete failure to improve players with great potential was mentioned every single day as the biggest reason for our inability to build a competitive team.

How right was the caf and how strange it is that today most of the posters don't see this as the real reason behind United's struggles?

Pochettino would solve this problem in two full seasons and then with United's wealth you'd start winning things with ease.

Last edited by a moderator:

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not on a Jürgen Klopp team he isn't. Klopp puts as much importance in fullbacks as in any position in his teams. They supply the width and delivery, as he doesn't use wingers in the conventional sense. So Alexander-Arnold and Robertson are huge players for his team and as important as anyone.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
We have seen Rashford and McTominay become first teamers recently. And McTominay was blooded in when no one wanted him to. If there was a Trent Alexander Arnold level talent in the academy he would get a chance.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not on a Jürgen Klopp team he isn't. Klopp puts as much importance in fullbacks as in any position in his teams. They supply the width and delivery, as he doesn't use wingers in the conventional sense. So Alexander-Arnold and Robertson are huge players for his team and as important as anyone.
Its crazy to say that he is wasted at fullback when both him and Robertson had ~15 assists this season. Crazy numbers

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
He's the best crosser of a ball Liverpool have had in a very long time.

Lots of people keep talking about him moving in to midfield, but I don't see that any time soon. He's perfect for the way Klopp wants his fullbacks to play. He struggles defensively at times because he'd always played further forward in his youth career, but he is improving this side of his game.

The Beckham comparisons are very accurate. If teams still played 4-4-2 Alexander-Arnold would be a right Midfielder, so he'd arguably be rated even higher than he currently is.