Trent Alexander Arnold

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Has there been another player that pundits and commentators so repeatedly refer to by their first name?

Read a Micah Richard column today where it was all "Trent" this and "Trent" that.

Look-a-Hill

That's not usually their first name though, that's their nickname/shortened name.
Raul and Xavi were the first two which came into my head. But even with nicknames, there's plenty that apply - Oscar, Hulk, Rafael...
I also know it's an arsey answer in the first place!

Rio perhaps? You never heard anyone call him Ferdinand unless it was formal commentary.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Raul and Xavi were the first two which came into my head. But even with nicknames, there's plenty that apply - Oscar, Hulk, Rafael...
I also know it's an arsey answer in the first place!

Rio perhaps? You never heard anyone call him Ferdinand unless it was formal commentary.
Yep, Rio is a good shout.
It just seems so many are trying to matey up with "Trent", like Jenas, Micah Richards etc.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Shouldn't the... *checks notes* 'best right back in the world' be capable of defending?

MuFc_1992

Has there been another player that pundits and commentators so repeatedly refer to by their first name?

Read a Micah Richard column today where it was all "Trent" this and "Trent" that.
To be fair it's extremely tedious to write or say Alexander Arnold

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Sounds weird to say about a RB but he’s not there for his defensive capabilities. He’s created more chances than anyone this season. He suits how we play.

I bet he’d be terrible playing for someone like Mourinho.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sounds weird to say about a RB but he’s not there for his defensive capabilities. He’s created more chances than anyone this season. He suits how we play.

He’s a bit of an example of how the game has changed. In the 90s/00s he would have been a RM. That position is rare in top sides now as they all play inverted wide forwards and width comes from the fullbacks.

Spaghetti

Mom's

And Klopp and Southgate, from what I’ve seen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He does make defensive mistakes.

On the other hand, he's also one of the best attacking players in the league, all positions included. As reflected in the fact that his 20 chances created in the league so far this season is the most by quite a long way, with Grealish 2nd on 13. Plus of course his haul of 15 assists the season before last and 13 the season before that. Even last season where he was generally poor only Bruno, KDB, Grealish and Mount created more than him. And he also helps his team in general play by being one of the most progressive defenders in Europe, particularly in terms of passing but also in terms of carrying the ball.

I know which of the two qualities I'd opt for in a modern-day fullback and it absolutely isn't defensive solidity. At just 22 he's a ridiculous talent.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He was never the best left back in the world, Maldini was always better and Javier Zanetti was also better in my opinion.

Carlos was over rated because of his free kicks, crosses and attacking instincts.
Agree with a lot of that. Being over rated for his attacking instincts seems like a harsh criticism though. Having him there allowed Zidane to play left wing but spend most of his time in the #10 role, much like Marcelo allowed Ronaldo to play on the left or Alves allowed Messi to play on the right. Likewise for TAA and Salah. It’s a very important role for the way they setup and the individuals they were supporting. It’s not that common for someone to be such a competent playmaker from a fullback position.

To me, Maldini’s the best fullback ever. No shame in Carlos being a level below him. I might be forgetting someone but I can’t think of a better left back in the world right now than Carlos. So that relative comparison can be a bit misleading.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Agree with a lot of that. Being over rated for his attacking instincts seems like a harsh criticism though. Having him there allowed Zidane to play left wing but spend most of his time in the #10 role, much like Marcelo allowed Ronaldo to play on the left or Alves allowed Messi to play on the right. Likewise for TAA and Salah. It’s a very important role for the way they setup and the individuals they were supporting. It’s not that common for someone to be such a competent playmaker from a fullback position.

To me, Maldini’s the best fullback ever. No shame in Carlos being a level below him. I might be forgetting someone but I can’t think of a better left back in the world right now than Carlos. So that relative comparison can be a bit misleading.
Debate over

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
One of the biggest creative attacking forces in the sport

Who gives a feck about his defence, honestly. You're all only bitter 'cause he plays for that lot

cyberman

He makes too many mistakes. It’s ok saying he creates a lot but they’ll go out from Europe this year to mistakes down his side.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He makes too many mistakes. It’s ok saying he creates a lot but they’ll go out from Europe this year to mistakes down his side.
They won the CL with him being one of their most important players already....

Mistakes down his side are up to Fabinho and company to clean up. That's their job. His job is to be Kevin De Bruyne down the right

cyberman

Mistakes down his side are up to Fabinho and company to clean up. That's their job. His job is to be Kevin De Bruyne down the right
He was twice the player back then. Its the defensive regression thats shocking about Trent.

Zoo

Kevin De Bruyne has actually shown his quality under different managers for club and country. Let’s see what happens to Trent if Klopp leaves. He simply can’t defend and doesn’t seem to be able to adapt to a midfield role so it’s not easy.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
He simply can’t defend and doesn’t seem to be able to adapt to a midfield role so it’s not easy.
An interesting perspective this.

He's been a mainstay in Liverpool's backline for about 4 years - coming through as an adapted midfielder from youth level. He wasn't a natural born defender due to his incredible attacking attributes and creativity but has very rarely been really exposed. No more than other top level FBs despite the apparent frailties.

The 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford in 2018 was possibly his lowest point but he was still an emerging player at that point. By contrast, within an month he had his break out performance in the CL quarter-final against City in a 3-0 win at Anfield. Strangely the Old Trafford performance seems to have stuck to his reputation from some quarters.

Since then he's been to two CL finals and played nearly every game across two seasons - 97 and 99pts.

He's an incredible footballer who probably helps his team win more games than nearly any full back I can think of - past or present. Honing in on defensive issues - which are very rarely howling errors - appears to be oddly picky given his overall contribution.

Suggesting Kevin De Bruyne has shown his quality under different managers is a fair call - but at the age of 22 he had exeperienced uncertainty at Chelsea and not deleivered what TAA has at the same age.

TAA isn't a perfect footballer but his defensive 'issues' are placed front and centre as if he's some sort of calamity. He simply isn't. He's a match-winning full back with very few equals in the modern game.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
When you've got a defender who is a creative juggernaut in the way Trent is, you indulge him and play around it -- i.e. Salah becomes a right forward who is allowed to neglect creative duties on the wing and focus predominantly on scoring; and the RCM (Henderson?) becomes a pseudo right wing back to cover.

You don't try and move him into midfield, that's silly. A player can be world class, and successful, in spite of a glaring flaw to his game (his below-par defending). They've already won a PL and a CL with him there.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah agreed. His 1 on 1 defending and positioning with long balls over his head and coming from the other side of the pitch are his main two issues but it's not like he's bad defensively either, just average. People who go "he's a defender so his primary job is defending" just don't seem to watch any of our games though, that's not at all why he's in our team for. There are other defensive-minded players around him to cover for him in order for him to contribute to our attacking plan. Half of our gameplan is basically just that, allowing him space to roam and it gives us an attacking edge and flexibility up front.

And ye's he hasn't done it under another manager than Klopp but you'd have to be an idiot to succeed Klopp, look at what he has achieved at Liverpool and how, and then tell TAA that he needs to focus on his defensive duties. You gameplan around your best players and that's what any manager should keep doing for him. It's not because his designation is "right back" or "defender" that he will struggle just because actual defending isn't his strongest suit.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
When you've got a defender who is a creative juggernaut in the way Trent is, you indulge him and play around it -- i.e. Salah becomes a right forward who is allowed to neglect creative duties on the wing and focus predominantly on scoring; and the RCM (Henderson?) becomes a pseudo right wing back to cover.

You don't try and move him into midfield, that's silly. A player can be world class, and successful, in spite of a glaring flaw to his game (his below-par defending). They've already won a PL and a CL with him there.
Fabinho, most of the times. Fully agree with the rest of your post yes.