Status
Not open for further replies.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Tbf there's very few defenders who can deal with Vini 1vs1

caid

In a three with two runners or wider right, basically, give him freedom.
I'd play him on the right of a three. I dont think position on the pitch is the main thing with him. Its more impressing on him that he needs to do a defensive job. Whether its not being fecked or losing focus, he needs work on his attitude or mentality.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Agreed. There's no chance he'd cut it as a winger in a 4-3-3. Hasn't got the mix of speed/dribbling/tricks needed at all.
The right back in a team with a big centre mid block, with a worldly like Van Dijk to mop up was the perfect system to hide the defensive issues for a long time.

Drop the centre mid and Van D levels off significantly, and he's there to be got at.
You can understand some of the top wingers in the world giving him problems 1-2-1, but it's the lack of marking players a yard or 2 away is really bizarre.
Frustratingly (as I do like to see young English players fulfil their potential) a lot of his defensive deficits are due to either effort (laziness) or alertness/perception of danger. Jogging back when a player is in his channel or not tracking a runner like last night is criminal at the level which Liverpool have played at in past 3 years before this season.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Come on man. He’s one of the best passer and crossers in the world. His shocking defending doesn’t change that. His weaknesses have always been there. He’s just getting exposed more now because the team has become inferior in all areas. In particular in midfield.
He’s extremely wasteful. We criticise Bruno for aimless passing, Trent makes Bruno’s passing seem perfect. Let’s not forget that Trent broke the record for most possession giveaways in one match, breaking a record set by… Trent Alexander Arnold.

Yeah he does get the odd amazing pass or assist, but the amount of overhit crosses and passes that come from his foot is incredible.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Come on man. He’s one of the best passer and crossers in the world. His shocking defending doesn’t change that. His weaknesses have always been there. He’s just getting exposed more now because the team has become inferior in all areas. In particular in midfield.
One of the best crossers, sure. But this season they've changed it up to accommodate Nunez and Salah has been hugging the touchline while Trent plays inverse RB, and his short passing is extremely average, bad even. He's nothing special outside his crosses and set pieces.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He's been proper shit even with his crossing this season. So far he's managed 3 assists in 36games.
His form took a huge nosedive after 2022

Chief123

He’s extremely wasteful. We criticise Bruno for aimless passing, Trent makes Bruno’s passing seem perfect. Let’s not forget that Trent broke the record for most possession giveaways in one match, breaking a record set by… Trent Alexander Arnold.

Yeah he does get the odd amazing pass or assist, but the amount of overhit crosses and passes that come from his foot is incredible.
He’s also in the world record books for having the most assists in a season for a defender. Got the most assists in the premier league in the last 5/6 years.

Chief123

He's been proper shit even with his crossing this season. So far he's managed 3 assists in 36games.
His form took a huge nosedive after 2022
This season he hasn’t been great like the whole team. He’s not as bad as is being made out. In a stable top team he’s brilliant.

Spaghetti

Mom's
He’s also in the world record books for having the most assists in a season for a defender. Got the most assists in the premier league in the last 5/6 years.
For a “defender”. I’m not saying he’s totally useless, but his passing is extremely overrated. It strikes me as “throw enough shit and some will stick”.

But anyway, I’m a United fan. If scousers want to convince themselves he’s class and keep playing him, that’s absolutely fine by me.

Chief123

For a “defender”. I’m not saying he’s totally useless, but his passing is extremely overrated. It strikes me as “throw enough shit and some will stick”.

But anyway, I’m a United fan. If scousers want to convince themselves he’s class and keep playing him, that’s absolutely fine by me.
He is a big headache as a manager. Because he has outstanding qualities which are only effective in the wrong position.

I do think there’s some merit in him playing in a wing backs system similar to Reece James. Klopp would never do it though. Ironically I think Trent would excel in a team like Chelsea.

FriedClams

People just assume he can slot into midfield or the wing. He was at his most effective during salahs peak because other teams sometimes had to double mark him, and liverpools midfield was more dynamic which left Trent with TONS of space. He’s never going to get that amount of time on the ball again as an inverted right back. Moving into midfield or the wing won’t help him. His confidence looks completely shot, he put on far too much muscle and he’s about to be viewed as a liability by his manager, who needs to spend money in other places way sooner than RB.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
And Robertson is right up there too.. could it be Liverpool had a unique system based on making their FBs their main playmakers or are they just the greatest attacking full backs the game has ever seen? I guess we'll never know.

Chief123

And Robertson is right up there too.. could it be Liverpool had a unique system based on making their FBs their main playmakers or are they just the greatest attacking full backs the game has ever seen? I guess we'll never know.
Biggest part of Liverpools success was the unsung hero’s in midfield. Their intensity allowed the others to flourish. Now there is no engine. It’s just a shell.

KeanoMagicHat

As they said in the Second Captains show, now is the time to try him in midfield.

1) he’s not playing well at right back at all, so can’t be any worse
2) their midfield is crap and have several players out injured.
3) they’re out of all competitions.

It’s the sort of thing Ferguson would have done. Tried Rooney and Ferdinand in midfield at times. Didn’t work. Can’t know unless you give it 3 or 4 games.

Chief123

As they said in the Second Captains show, now is the time to try him in midfield.

It’s the sort of thing Ferguson would have done. Tried Rooney and Ferdinand in midfield at times. Didn’t work. Can’t know unless you give it 3 or 4 games.
Fergie had some kind of magic wand with those random lineups. I’ll never forget us playing 8 defenders against Arsenal and winning the match!

Edwards6

Imagine his laziness in midfield, would be even more of a liability

Red the Bear

Something less generic
They'll need salah to get back to his best and an actual functioning midfield to see him perform well ever again, otherwise he'll just keep getting targeted.

Status
Not open for further replies.