Trent can’t defend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Abysmal defending. Cost Liverpool. Their victim mentality won’t allow them to consider it

Gazza

So many examples. This is why Southgate doesn’t trust him. Yet the likes of Lineker, Neville and Carragher marvel at him as if he’s a player we’ve never seen before and has changed the game .
To be fair to Neville, he has argued for why Southgate prefers Kyle Walker and says that he doesn't necessarily disagree, considering how England play compared to Liverpool.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair to him, he improved his defending quite a bit this season. He was hopeless for the goal tonight, but can tell he's worked on his positioning and one on one defending.

Dan_F

In fairness AWB does that about about 10 times a season and gets a nosebleed when he goes past halfway. I’m not sure we’re really in much of a position to be laughing at full backs.

Ole'sgunnarwin

His attacking play usually makes up for his defending deficiencies. I thought going forward, he was an absolute disgrace tonight.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
i just checked, he has scored 4 freekicks in his career :lol:
One of them was an absolute bastard of a freekick at the Bridge. Unsaveable. Does he always take them for Liverpool?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
In fairness AWB does that about about 10 times a season and gets a nosebleed when he goes past halfway. I’m not sure we’re really in much of a position to be laughing at full backs.
Have a day off :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Dont remember, but 2 of the others put Palace and Watford to the sword
It wasn't exactly a dead ball kick. Watching it back now, not the kind of freekick Beckham was the master at. Still, a thunderbastard of a shot.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Now that Liverpool lost, this allows me to think clearly and say this freely.

For me, Trent is the best RB in the world. He's not perfect defensively, but his playmaking, skill, and energy make up more and some.

In 4-4-2 SAF system, he might be groomed into RW instead of a RB, though.

Flexdegea

If his attacking output not functioning they massively struggle to score

Same thing happened last season when they collapsed he was horrendous, felt like their whole game was him pinging balls and crosses,

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Nonsense. AWB has nithing to do with this.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

For me, Trent is the best RB in the world. He's not perfect defensively, but his playmaking, skill, and energy make up more and some.

He wasn’t even the best on the pitch tonight. He was also targeted by the opposition, they got the goal from his lack of awareness.

I don’t think you can call a player like that the best RB in the world, no matter how good he is going forward (and he was shocking tonight)

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

He’s not even the best RB in Lancashire.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He might not be able to defend but he's a proper hard man who can point at opponents after they deliver a perfectly timed tackle on him.

Bwuk

Good footballer, bad defender. Every team targets getting in behind him.

BerryBerryShrew

I think Don Carlo overthought things in the first half- he knew that Klopp was expecting Real to target TAA with Vinicius so instead he tried to push up Carvajal and attack down the right instead which didn't work (mainly cos Carvajal isn't exactly Hakimi when it comes to attacking threat).

In the second half though he said feck it and let Vinicius loose on TAA. With hilariously glorious results.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They had to play Henderson to cover for Trents defensive frailties, which cost them a lot of possession high up the pitch. He was also regularly targeted, and Konate saved him several times.

That's what's you're getting with him at RB unfortunately, you've got to hope his attacking output trump's that and sadly for him, it was way off that today.

RedDevilRoshi

Said that for years to my Liverpool mates that going forward he’s great but defensively he is absolutely woeful.

This claim that they think/believe he’s the best fullback in the world is just as laughable when they say Klopp is a better manager than SAF :lol: :lol:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think he bottled that game tonight. Doesn't make him a bad player of course, he's excellent, but he needs to improve his mentality and focus. Reece James is a better player for me at the moment, doesn't have a weakness in his game.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He should never be ahead of Reece James for England.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He should never be ahead of Reece James for England.
I think he bottled that game tonight. Doesn't make him a bad player of course, he's excellent, but he needs to improve his mentality and focus. Reece James is a better player for me at the moment, doesn't have a weakness in his game.
Yep, overall, Reece is a better player that can fit in many different teams. Trent really can only play as a FB if the team is set up for him to.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Maybe he should be trying to convert him into either a wing back or a midfielder.
Has little reason to do that however as has already had a ton of success with Trent as his right back.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's one of the most creative players in Europe and the fact that you get that from a fullback provides advantages in terms of how you can use other positions. But the flip side is that he isn't all that good defensively.

It's certainly worth the trade-off overall as he's generally one of the key players in a very successful team but there will always be days when he gets caught out.

And of course at just 23 years old he still has room to get better.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Yeye, we all would have loved him at United. He would have been an instant fans favorite in our squad. Just look at the crap we have. Telles, Shaw, Dallot and Bisakka. Its manure and we now it.

Trent is not a defensive minded back. He is exellent in Pools high line, and a modern full back. They dont defend much in most games so he doesnt get exploited much. A fullback like him is just what United need. Bissaka would have been a punshing bag toninght. Yes maybe Pool should have a back up full back for him in a few sertant games, but in 90% of the games Trent is immense.

Irwin99

I thought he defended well in the cup final against Chelsea but I think James is clearly the better defender.

Swiss_Red89

Hyperbole in here. James could have easily conceded the same goal. Trent is worldclass in my opinion. Still a decision to make for Southgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.