Trent can’t defend

Status
Not open for further replies.

BerryBerryShrew

If this guy makes the English squad ahead of any of James/Walker/Lamptey/Trippier for Qatar then Southgate should lose his job before the first game kicks off.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
He’d do well in a wing back team but klopp is never going to use that system.

Yes I agree but Klopp won't change things up (even temporarily) and it's why they have these periods (usually when key players for his system are absent through injury) were they look "finished" but then look 10x better when the key to players return.

CloneMC16

The 2nd goal is worse for Trent. He literally stands there and watches. He only moves a couple steps in about 8 seconds. Everybody knows had bad he is at defending at this point. It's a shame for him that he didn't come through during the 90's. He would have made a world class RW. He would be better as a RWB nowadays, but that forces that team to change the system for one player.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Pretty horrendous from all three of them; Trent is stood still whilst Gomez and Fabinho turn but don’t even attempt to chase? Mind numbing stuff.
It looks like one of those legend games when one player (Edgar Davids) is still amazingly fit but playing against Jan Molby and Razor Ruddock who can hardly walk, let alone run.

Edwards6

Been saying it for ages that he's the weak link in there defence and it looks like he's getting worse this season. Think it's gone to his head people saying he's so good going forward he can get away with it and now he's not even trying to get back and defend

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Its not so much he is a bad defender, he seems to think defending is beneath him. Some of his failures are down to a simple lack of effort.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
As much as I think his defending is crap - both Gomez and Fabinho are more at fault for this than TAA. Surely he just stands there, but both players are much closer to Anguissa than he is
Yeah that’s on Gomez and Fabiano. Gomez in particular who looks miles off it these days.

NoPace

If this guy makes the English squad ahead of any of James/Walker/Lamptey/Trippier for Qatar then Southgate should lose his job before the first game kicks off.
It's a 26 man squad, so I think you have to take him as a backup you can throw on if you're losing. Can't risk starting him, but if you're a goal or two in the 2nd half his long passing and crossing become worth the risk.

At the minute, I'd guess they'll bring 5 fullbacks (assuming they take a 26 man squad) but only one left-footer in Chilwell, with one of Trippier or James Justin able to back him up on the left, and Walker (a CB really), James and TAA on the right but with Trippier/Justin fighting Walker to be the actual backup RB in a 4 man team. Still leaves 21 spots, with 3 for keepers that's 17 for 5 proper CBs (Guehi, Maguire, Stones and one more in Tomori, Dier or Coady), 5 mids (Rice, Bellingham, Ward-Prowse, Phillips, Mount), 5 wingers (Grealish, Saka, Foden, Sterling and either Sancho or Bowen) and Kane, Abraham and one more striker up top.

If nobody steps up at LB, and right now Tyrick Mitchell looks more likely than Shaw, I think you bring the fullback who can create because he's an intriguing bench option, whereas if Mitchell isn't actually ahead of whichever of James Justin or Trippier is chosen, he might not have any real use in the squad.

NoPace

He’s so good going forward that his disastrous defending is being carried all this time. But his defending has got so bad it’s actually a liability having him anywhere in the defensive third. I’m not sure what klopp can do to get him to be half useful in defence. He’d do well in a wing back team but klopp is never going to use that system.
In theory this is true but he's been pretty bad for England as a wingback the couple times I remember him playing there.

I have no idea what's going to happen with him. I can't remember a fullback being skinned so easily as the Georgian kid (who looks fantastic but still) did him a couple times today since Depay against that poor Midtylland kid.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Its not so much he is a bad defender, he seems to think defending is beneath him. Some of his failures are down to a simple lack of effort.
His lack of effort and attitude are the biggest problems in these days. When he’s out of his positions, he seems never interested in running to cover his faults. He’s usually covered by Henderson, Matip/Konate, and when both fit, always come to a wide area to take one on one responsibility, when he’s out of his position.

Today, Henderson is out of his peak form both physically and mentally, he couldn’t cover him every time. So, the results are shown on the pitch( we all know).

But in Napoli’s game, Gomez was by far worse than him( despite Trent performed poorly too).

Last edited:

Chief123

As much as I think his defending is crap - both Gomez and Fabinho are more at fault for this than TAA. Surely he just stands there, but both players are much closer to Anguissa than he is
If you look a bit further back in the build up to the goal though, you’ll see when Liverpool lose the ball Trent shows absolutely no desire to get back. He just casually jogs back which forces Gomez to go out wide to close player down and Fabinho to fill in at centre back.

After that, yes Fabinho and Gomez did poor but Trent’s desire to get back was shocking.

Rossa

He's a terrible defender, bordering on down right egregious. Summing up his defensive attributes:
  1. He's terrible in the air
  2. He's terrible at positioning
  3. He's terrible at anticipating
  4. He's weak in physical one on one duels
  5. He's extremely easy to dribble past
  6. His acceleration is downright terrible - Zaha made a complete mockery of him time and time again, and didn't even have to try hard. Rarely do you see a defender dribbled so that they are left five yards away from the ball from a simple feint and turn.
  7. No intensity in his defending
  8. No concentration
Seems inexcusable to me. His lack of acceleration from a standstill is a concern, but it is quite possible to make up for that with anticipation, reading of the game, concentration and intensity. Dalot also struggles a little with his acceleration, but he has upped his intensity and now doesn't give up and stays close - it has made a world of difference.

GoldanoGraham

He isn’t a defender as he cannot defend - he is good for games where he can play in the opponents half - when he has to go the other way he just can’t be arsed. He doesn’t work nearly as hard as that gobshite at RB.

It’s all looking a little fragile at the back now and Trent is really being exposed. No way he gets in the England team.

Chief123

He’s actually become a major liability to the point where every opponent just focuses all their plans down Trent’s side. You will constantly get joy there. The fact that Robertson and VVD are on the other side of the defence makes it even more easier to just attack Trent’s side.

KeanoMagicHat

He's a terrible defender, bordering on down right egregious. Summing up his defensive attributes:
  1. He's terrible in the air
  2. He's terrible at positioning
  3. He's terrible at anticipating
  4. He's weak in physical one on one duels
  5. He's extremely easy to dribble past
  6. His acceleration is downright terrible - Zaha made a complete mockery of him time and time again, and didn't even have to try hard. Rarely do you see a defender dribbled so that they are left five yards away from the ball from a simple feint and turn.
  7. No intensity in his defending
  8. No concentration
Seems inexcusable to me. His lack of acceleration from a standstill is a concern, but it is quite possible to make up for that with anticipation, reading of the game, concentration and intensity. Dalot also struggles a little with his acceleration, but he has upped his intensity and now doesn't give up and stays close - it has made a world of difference.
He’s in bad form. His anticipation and positioning are good when in form. He went about a year there not getting exposed and Liverpool winning all the time and everyone goes quiet.

He gets exposed when the midfield collapses. So does Van Dijk, so does the whole team. He’s not playing well defensively but it’s a team issue. Milner and Elliott in midfield for the CL is nowhere near good enough and Gomez is a disaster at the back.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
He’s in bad form. His anticipation and positioning are good when in form. He went about a year there not getting exposed and Liverpool winning all the time and everyone goes quiet.

He gets exposed when the midfield collapses. So does Van Dijk, so does the whole team. He’s not playing well defensively but it’s a team issue. Milner and Elliott in midfield for the CL is nowhere near good enough and Gomez is a disaster at the back.
Agree, his anticipation and positioning are great when he’s in form, when he concentrates enough, he could defend 1 on1 really well too. The three biggest problems for him are no intensity( don't go to challenge the opponent's wingers), lack of concentration and a lot of times don't track back enough to cover his position( lazy or anything else) when he loses possession of the ball.

Skills

Snitch
He’s actually become a major liability to the point where every opponent just focuses all their plans down Trent’s side. You will constantly get joy there. The fact that Robertson and VVD are on the other side of the defence makes it even more easier to just attack Trent’s side.
Robertson's been shite as well. Tsmikas should replace him

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'd say he could have tried to get between Anguissa and the guy he played the one-two with. There was plenty of time.

GlasgowCeltic

They should maybe look to do a Coutinho with him, he’s gonna be difficult to fit in once Klopp has gone

Rossa

He's a liability in defense because he cannot defend one on one and has poor positional awareness. He has suffered because Henderson isn't doing Trent's job, and Matip isn't doing what Henderson missed. Trent has always been a poor defender, and when he is now more exposed that becomes evident for everyone to see. Having a defender that poor one on one is huge issue. In the past Liverpool were so dominant and Henderson would also do a lot of Trent's defending, but when they are no longer dominating the midfield and still maintain that high line, Trent is exposed over and over. As a pure defender, he's a liability at the best of times.

Rossa

Robertson's been shite as well. Tsmikas should replace him
Tsimikas is very rash though and could easily have a few red cards here and there if he is the mainstay. Robertson is a fecker, but he conceals it - Tsimikas doesn't appear to be that clever in his shathousery.

ShinjiNinja26

The guys absolute wank. Pure hype job, oh look he can whip in a nice ball… so fecking what. I don’t care how the games evolved a fullbacks first job is and always will be to defend, and he’s terrible at it. Even an inept manager like Southgate knows he’s a liability hence why he never plays him. Long may it continue though as he’s going to cost Liverpool more and more points. :drool:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Anyone get the feeling that this constant pressing style causes many players to get burned out after 3 or more years?

I also think a coach who is good at motivation will tend to get diminishing returns as the years go on. He's heard all Klopp's speeches, he may be having a motivation issue.

Couldn't believe how he gave up defending for one of the goals yesterday.

crossy1686

career ending
He's the inverse of Wan-Bissaka, combine them both and there's a good player, separately they're liabilities for different reasons.

There's about 3 RB's in the England team better than him, let alone world football.

The Purley King

Has he downed tools or going through a Rashford period?
Have only seen the gifs - I didn't watch the game, but the Napoli player passing it one side of him and running around the other side - was absolutely criminal from TAA, he just gave up.
I don't know if he thinks actually having to defend is beneath him now? Whilst he has his limitations as a defender, I don't recall him ever just giving up/not trying.

Chief123

Have Carragher or Souness come out defending him yet? Or will they continue saying how Martinez will still end up being shit
I wonder whether carragher will come out and say “Trent can’t work in a back 4 in the premier league” like he said about Martinez.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I wonder whether carragher will come out and say “Trent can’t work in a back 4 in the premier league” like he said about Martinez.
If he is ever questioned about him, he will completely avoid his current form and highlight his performances in the past instead.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know about you guys, but this is a clear example of a player blatantly downing tools. I remember watching him in the two finals against us last season, and in the second half of the season in general, and thinking he'd made some improvements on his weakness, he was tracking runs, being alert, staying disciplined etc.

In these clips, it really just looks like he doesn't give a feck anymore.

Last edited:

Lyng

I don't know about you guys, this is a clear example of a player blatantly downing tools. I remember watching him in the two finals against us last season, and in the second half of the season in general, and thinking he'd made some improvements on his weakness, he was tracking runs, being alert, staying disciplined etc.

In these clips, it really just looks like he doesn't give a feck anymore.
Yeah I agree. Very similar to Shaw last season to be honest.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I've usually defended Trent because his progressive passing stats and end product in the final third is so good, he is a player like no other at the position, but the defending is making it really hard to justify his selection over Reece James at the WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.