Television True Detective | Season 2 Spoilers

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I just hope they get another casting agent than they did for S2. The guy who did the casting that time around needs shot.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is a "reboot" necessary, it's only 2 seasons long and they are completely different. Just have season 3 as another new story with new characters.

I don't know how I feel about RDJ, I've only seen him in Superhero movies so it will be strange to see him in a grittier role.

Just read it might be remake, I've never seen Perry Mason and I don't know how I feel about this.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
No point in a 3rd season, as a stand alone season the first was all that was needed - they cannot reproduce the brilliance of that first season

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No point in a 3rd season, as a stand alone season the first was all that was needed - they cannot reproduce the brilliance of that first season
I disagree, they just completely fecked up the second season with bat shit crazy casting.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I disagree, they just completely fecked up the second season with bat shit crazy casting.
Casting, writing and the way it was filmed - it was terrible. I don't understand the need to milk something dry that isn't there to be redone. It's not as if it's a story that is continuing in any way, it's merely a whole new set of everything aka a new show

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Great news, TD season 1 was one of the shows that came the closest to The Wire/Sopranos quality-wise.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
I watched season 1 of this and really enjoyed it. I started season 2 and could not get into it after a couple episodes - might have been the change of cast. It's rated so highly on IMDB and I'm wondering if this is because of season 1 or is season 2 on a level with it at least?

Basically, should I bother ploughing through to watch it?

P.S. I'm posting from the first page of this thread because I don't want to see any spoilers. It would be nice if spoilers were spoilered!

izec

I watched season 1 of this and really enjoyed it. I started season 2 and could not get into it after a couple episodes - might have been the change of cast. It's rated so highly on IMDB and I'm wondering if this is because of season 1 or is season 2 on a level with it at least?

P.S. I'm posting from the first page of this thread because I don't want to see any spoilers. It would be nice if spoilers were spoilered!
Season 1 was phenomenal, season 2 was still very good. But i dont think many rate it as highly as season 1. Watch it, i think it gets better after a while.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think I did but I don't remember anything about it now.
Indeed. I remember kind of enjoying it but not really knowing (or caring) that much about each story strand barring Colin Farrell's paternity issues. The crux of the matter, which I think concerned Vince Vaughn's business dealings, didn't leave a mark on me at all.

There were some good moments in the second series and I'd say it's worth a watch, but it really isn't good enough to lace the first one's boots.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

I found season 2 barely watchable.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
The nosedive between quality from season 1 to season 2 is spectacular. I can only think of Prison Break to rival it.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
Yeah I'm not liking the feedback here so think I'll probably give it a miss. Don't think I can watch it for the sake of it knowing I'm going to be underwhelmed in comparison to season 1.

The Wire it is, been a long time coming!

Last edited:

2cents

Scout
Yeah I'm not liking the feedback here so think I'll probably give it a miss. Don't think I can watch it for the sake of it knowing I'm going to be underwhelmed in comparison to season 2.

The Wire it is, been a long time coming!
Good decision.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
“You don’t want to look hungry. Never do anything out of hunger. Not even eating.”

“You’re asking me if he’s that kind of guy. He looks half anaconda, half great white.”

“Those moments, they stare back at you. You don’t remember them, they remember you.” '

"Frankly, I'm apoplectic." "I'm feeling a little apoplectic myself."

"A good woman mitigates our baser tendencies."

"Your compensatory projection of menace is a guarantor of its lack."

2cents

Scout
“You don’t want to look hungry. Never do anything out of hunger. Not even eating.”

“You’re asking me if he’s that kind of guy. He looks half anaconda, half great white.”

“Those moments, they stare back at you. You don’t remember them, they remember you.” '

"Frankly, I'm apoplectic." "I'm feeling a little apoplectic myself."

"A good woman mitigates our baser tendencies."

"Your compensatory projection of menace is a guarantor of its lack."
"[Something something] sucking on a robot's dick."

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I did.

It never reached the heights of the first half of series 1 but on the other hand was more consistent throughout. Season 1 went from the best TV ever to dogshit in the final few episodes.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I did. S2 was grossly inferior to S1 overall but I'd argue that it had a better ending. Miles more coherent than the ham-fisted way they tried (and failed) to tie up all the loose ends in S1.
Season one is legit greatest TV material right up until the ".. wait.. green.. green.. hey where's that picture of the painted green house we went to 17 years ago?"

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Season one is legit greatest TV material right up until the ".. wait.. green.. green.. hey where's that picture of the painted green house we went to 17 years ago?"
:lol:

"Perhaps he had GREEN PAINT on his ears?!?"

As @SwansonsTache said the nosedive from S1 to S2 was unprecedented but I'd also struggle to think of another show which had me so utterly hooked only to massively piss me off, all in a single season.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
HBO’s limited series will officially return for a third season, this time starring Oscar winner Mahershala Ali. Nic Pizzolatto is set to direct, along with Jeremy Saulnier.

The next installment tells the story of a macabre crime in the heart of the Ozarks, and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods. Ali will play the lead role of Wayne Hays, a state police detective from Northwest Arkansas. It does not currently have an air date, nor is there a set date for the start of production.
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/true-detective-season-3-hbo-mahershala-ali-1202544718/

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Mahershala Ali is absolutely ace, so I'm very positive about that. That said, I also thought Rachel McAdams would be great.

Or the Serial podcast.
Good call. I couldn't stop listening to season one, just devoured each episode as soon as they came out. Season two was about as exciting as listening to paint dry.

Tarrou

Looks fairly promising. Expectations are set pretty low after that abomination of a second season.