Tuanzebe loan watch | Aston Villa 2018-19

Bola

That simply isn’t happening. Even if your scenario plays out, Lindelof, Smalling and Bailey would still be above him in the pecking order.

Let the lad develop in a competitive league where he’s going to play as many minutes as possible.
You sound very sure about United's transfer dealings. I personally don't see why not as he can't get ahead of the other 3 if given a chance

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You sound very sure about United's transfer dealings. I personally don't see why Tu as he can't get ahead of the other 3 if given a chance
What are you basing this on? Care to give me a precedent of when a club has sold two of their five centrebacks mid season? Particularly to replace them with an unproven your product?

Bola

What are you basing this on? Care to give me a precedent of when a club has sold two of their five centrebacks mid season? Particularly to replace them with an unproven your product?
A very specific question, a bit like asking how many players were sold on the 7th of Jan. From memory, we've offloaded players in the last two windows, including 2 in the 16/17 so we have form.

Reality is, I don't know if untied will or won't sell the 2 x Sicknotes and neither do you. My post said jones and rojo should be sold and I think the majority would agree with me on that.

Re Tunzebe, is say he is not far from Lindelof's level when he came to United. Limited experience in a relatively weak league (outside the top 2) and although Victor had some intermation and champs lesgue experience, his comparative lack of knowledge of the English game showed

Ekeke

Still has plenty to prove in the championship let alone in our first team. Rodon, Mepham and Fry are 3 others the same age and they wouldnt be getting a chance here yet either

ivaldo

A very specific question, a bit like asking how many players were sold on the 7th of Jan. From memory, we've offloaded players in the last two windows, including 2 in the 16/17 so we have form.

Reality is, I don't know if untied will or won't sell the 2 x Sicknotes and neither do you. My post said jones and rojo should be sold and I think the majority would agree with me on that.

Re Tunzebe, is say he is not far from Lindelof's level when he came to United. Limited experience in a relatively weak league (outside the top 2) and although Victor had some intermation and champs lesgue experience, his comparative lack of knowledge of the English game showed
Not really. You've created a hypothetical scenario you seem to think can come to pass, based on negligible information, and you pass comment on my knowledge of transfer dealings. There's a clear precedent in place on what I think will happen, not for you though. We haven't offloaded two centrebacks in the same window though how we? There's a reason for that.

You're really stretching now comparing him with Lindelof. Lindelof had played nearly 50 times for Benfica, had been a full international for a couple of years and was older. Needless to say there's still plenty of people who think he's only now showing he's good enough to be starting for us. Adding another youngster in at centreback might not be the best idea, especially when we can develop him at another club where he's guaranteed competitive minutes.

Last edited:

Bola

Not really. You've created a hypothetical scenario you seem to think can come to pass, based on negligible information, and you pass comment on my knowledge of transfer dealings. There's a clear precedent in place on what I think will happen, not for you though. We haven't offloaded two centrebacks in the same window though how we? There's a reason for that.

You're really stretching now comparing him with Lindelof. Lindelof had played nearly 50 times for Benfica, had been a full international for a couple of years and was older. Needless to say there's still plenty of people who think he's only now showing he's good enough to be starting for us. Adding another youngster in at centreback might not be the best idea, especially when we can develop him at another club where he's guaranteed competitive minutes.

You might want to stick on topic instead of derailing the thread by trying to create an argument

I'll end by highlighting thoughts once again. Tunzebe should be back at the club if he can get gametime as one of 4 CBs who should remain at the club. There are 2 players who should not be at the club due to injury records - we have history for offloading players early in the year when they are surplus to requirements

ivaldo

You might want to stick on topic instead of derailing the thread by trying to create an argument

I'll end by highlighting thoughts once again. Tunzebe should be back at the club if he can get gametime as one of 4 CBs who should remain at the club. There are 2 players who should not be at the club due to injury records - we have history for offloading players early in the year when they are surplus to requirements
I'm responding to your comments. You're the one who decided to bring up this imaginary scenario, not I or anyone else. You. What an odd thing to say.

Tuanzebe is a developing player and should be playing as much first team football as possible. Sporadic starts for us isn't going to br enough. Throwing him into the starting lineup for a team that is desperately fighting to salvage their season, and using a player in Lindelof as a example (despite the latter having significantly more experience across the board than the former), is not the answer.

Let him play out the season at AV and then we can assess him in August.

Bola

I'm responding to your comments. You're the one who decided to bring up this imaginary scenario, not I or anyone else. You. What an odd thing to say.

Tuanzebe is a developing player and should be playing as much first team football as possible. Sporadic starts for us isn't going to br enough. Throwing him into the starting lineup for a team that is desperately fighting to salvage their season, and using a player in Lindelof as a example (despite the latter having significantly more experience across the board than the former), is not the answer.

Let him play out the season at AV and then we can assess him in August.
You seem to be looking for an internet argument and are the only one who appears to be making claims of will or won't happen

I'll leave you to it

ivaldo

You seem to be looking for an internet argument and are the only one who appears to be making claims of will or won't happen

I'll leave you to it
Nah it's called a discussion, it happens quite often on a forum, the name gives it away really.

You're in the wrong place if you get arsey and upset when people simply disagree with you. Thats all I did with my first response, and you responded with "You sound very sure about United's transfer dealings." Practice what you preach, mate.

The Mad Manc

I'll leave you to it
Nah it's called a discussion, it happens quite often on a forum, the name gives it away really.

You're in the wrong place if you get arsey and upset when people simply disagree with you. Thats all I did with my first response, and you responded with "You sound very sure about United's transfer dealings." Practice what you preach, mate.
Lads, he's injured for several weeks. You can put the handbags away.

Bola

Cool story bro. I'll leave you to it if you can't
Lads, he's injured for several weeks. You can put the handbags away.
And I wish him a speedy recovery as he is latest squad quality given our current defensive issues

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yes, I believe he's come back to you for treatment which is generally what happens with loan players.

At best he'll be out for 6 weeks (Mikhi got similar injury at Arsenal) but realistically March.

ArjenIsM3

According to the Villa Website he's stepping up his recovery. Protective boot is off, beginning light work now.

“Axel is still up at Man Utd. He’s had the boot removed now. He will start some light work in his rehabilitation before he comes back down to Aston Villa.

“We’ll be guided by Man Utd in his rehabilitation. The doctor is keeping in touch with them quite regularly.

“We look forward to him being back because he was a big player for us during that really good run.
Good to hear he's rated so highly by Villa. This loan has been really good for him so far. Hopefully he continues to develop and play well the rest of the season so he can be part of our first team next season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Could be back in March I think.

Way we've defended since he'll go straight back in.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was that due to how he was performing or just team had slipped in general?
We've missed his pace and mobility and teams are cutting through us centrally.

Difficult to say if he'll make it at Man. United. Would say logical to loan him to prem club next season and see how he does e.g. you've seen Fosu-Mensah isn't really capable after his two loans.

He reminds me of a Micah Richards (if only because we still have the actual original on our books :lol:) His pace and physique get him out of dangerous poisitions but at top level you need really good reading of the game and he dosen't have that yet.

Oldyella

Difficult to say if he'll make it at Man. United. Would say logical to loan him to prem club next season and see how he does e.g. you've seen Fosu-Mensah isn't really capable after his two loans.

He reminds me of a Micah Richards (if only because we still have the actual original on our books :lol:) His pace and physique get him out of dangerous poisitions but at top level you need really good reading of the game and he dosen't have that yet.
Cheers.

Crimson King

I think from what I've seen of him I can agree with this, he also looks fairly comfortable on the ball at times.

My main hope for him is that these were the same criticisms people had for Ferdinand when he was starting out. His concentration was still questionable when we forked out £30m for him.

It might take more patience but if the main ingredients are there I hope we stick with him. Time will tell.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Fosu Mensah was developed in a wrong way. He was never a full back, centre back and midfield were the position he spent the most in his youth career. Not saying he will make it to United even if he plays in his favourite position but the point is that players can actually be really good if they are well developed by the right manager or club.

Look at the difference between Rashford with Ole and and with Mourinho.

Tuanzebe was criticised when he played full back. But ever since he played centre back, people start to think he’s actually better than what people thought of him as full back.

NoPace

Unless he is consistently the best defender in the championship I see no reason why he should get time in the premier league. Let him play and learn.
I agree. When you look at the Prem, there aren't a ton of awful CBs playing week in and week out. What club are we sure Tuanzebe would get 30 starts at CB for?

Conversely, someone like Pereira could have had 30 starts for a creatively starved midfield like Huddersfield, Cardiff or Newcastle, and I expect the same will be true next year.

None of this is surprising, England has always produced the most depth at CB.

OldTrevil

I agree. When you look at the Prem, there aren't a ton of awful CBs playing week in and week out. What club are we sure Tuanzebe would get 30 starts at CB for?

Conversely, someone like Pereira could have had 30 starts for a creatively starved midfield like Huddersfield, Cardiff or Newcastle, and I expect the same will be true next year.

None of this is surprising, England has always produced the most depth at CB.
Strong argument for him going abroad actually, the talent is there and he just needs game time right now. Personally I would bring him back to United and have him compete with Lindelof and our other young CB's. I would also bring in a sure experienced top CB for stability in short term

Minkaro

fecking hell! I'd have thought his contact would have ended by now? Not to derail the thread, but I remember seeing him on League of Their Own, bragging about how he never went to the gym and his physique was natural. Couldn't help but think "yeah, and imagine what you'd be like if you put some actual effort in."

Anyway, Tuanzebe...another loan at Villa would be fine by me. Unless he's head and shoulders above the rest of the team, another season in the Championship won't kill him.

Bwuk

We should see if we can get him a loan in Bundesliga.

NoPace

Strong argument for him going abroad actually, the talent is there and he just needs game time right now. Personally I would bring him back to United and have him compete with Lindelof and our other young CB's. I would also bring in a sure experienced top CB for stability in short term
Yeah, abroad could work. A Bundesliga or Ligue 1 loan makes sense if there's a good fit.

Or alternatively, like you say, we do something like sell 1 of Jones or Rojo and loan Bailly out to a Prem team to get him a season of starts (and hopefully raise his value or suggest he can be one of our CBs) and we have something like Alderweild and Lindelof starting with Smalling, Tuanzebe and Rojo/Jones as our CB rotation next year.

kidbob

No loan needed anymore. The lad should take Rojo's place in the squad. Rojo is injured so much that you'd sometimes forget he exists. Jones is better than Rojo but if a new CB is brought in then he should be sold and Tuanzebe be the squad option in his place. Maybe he won't get 40 games a season but I'd prefer 20 here rather than 40+ at a club struggling for relegation. He needs to play in a defense like ours rather than try to develop him at some shite club getting trashed every week. TFM should have been developed the same. No point in playing for a hopeless side if you are trying to prove you are good enough for a top club.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
No loan needed anymore. The lad should take Rojo's place in the squad. Rojo is injured so much that you'd sometimes forget he exists. Jones is better than Rojo but if a new CB is brought in then he should be sold and Tuanzebe be the squad option in his place. Maybe he won't get 40 games a season but I'd prefer 20 here rather than 40+ at a club struggling for relegation. He needs to play in a defense like ours rather than try to develop him at some shite club getting trashed every week. TFM should have been developed the same. No point in playing for a hopeless side if you are trying to prove you are good enough for a top club.
Bournemouth would be nice. They'll have plenty of defending to do and have to hold their own especially against the top teams, while they'll also spend a lot of time on the ball, building out from the back in an attacking side. Tuanzebe would be a good fit for them too. I think he could play his way into the side alongside Aké. Agree that another season in the Championship seems redundant.

RedTiger

Half mast
Bournemouth would be nice. They'll have plenty of defending to do and have to hold their own especially against the top teams, while they'll also spend a lot of time on the ball, building out from the back in an attacking side. Tuanzebe would be a good fit for them too. I think he could play his way into the side alongside Aké. Agree that another season in the Championship seems redundant.
Yep, Bournemouth would be a perfect fit for him next season if he doesn't make back up to our squad.

redasian

Agree with this. Tuanzebe can play the cup matches and stand in when we have our inevitable defensive injury crisis at some point.

OldTrevil

Yeah, abroad could work. A Bundesliga or Ligue 1 loan makes sense if there's a good fit.

Or alternatively, like you say, we do something like sell 1 of Jones or Rojo and loan Bailly out to a Prem team to get him a season of starts (and hopefully raise his value or suggest he can be one of our CBs) and we have something like Alderweild and Lindelof starting with Smalling, Tuanzebe and Rojo/Jones as our CB rotation next year.
I would sell both Jones and Rojo, buy one experienced leader CB and let Lindelof, Smalling, Bailly and Tuanzebe all compete.

deadrevelz

Ideally I would like to see a top class CB brought in. Sell Rojo and Bailly. Have Smalling and Jones as first choice back ups, with Tuanzebe playing the league cup etc. Then sell Jones next season if Tuanzebe steps up.

Noises from the club now suggest we won't be buying a top class CB though. So either we keep Bailly or put more trust in Tuanzebe.

ArjenIsM3

See he came on today for the first time since his injury. Got about 40 minutes. Can anybody shed some light on his performance?