Tuanzebe's injury ravaged season

lysglimt

Scout
If he can get past these injuries I’m absolutely convinced he can kick on and become a solid centre back for us. Thought he showed promising signs at the start of the season but just hasn’t been able to kick on.
I am not sure - he has the talent, but if we sign a new centre-back - he will at best be a third choice, realistically a 4th choice. And what is worse for him is that we have a young centre-back who in my opinion is a bigger talent - Teden Mengi.

So I just can't see him becoming a regular here

sparx99

Still pretty young for a CB. Didn’t John Terry only break through at 24-25?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It might be brutal or ruthless but we do not need another Phil Jones on our hands. If he's not fit next season, sell him and get someone reliable in.

As much as Maguire has weaknesses, he's demonstrated something none of the recent CBs in our line-up have had - ability to play pretty much every game, be it league, cup or EL.

We need to measure new recruits by that yardstick, so next season is make or break for me for Tuanzebe .

Red00012

If he’s injury next season get rid , We don’t need another Phil Jones in our squad

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
There’s a spot for him if he can stay fit. I don’t think we’ll sign a centre half this summer.
Its will be our 3rd priority at best. We had a lot of clean sheets plus a close 3rd best goal-against stat in the league. But we scored 30+ goals fewer than City and Liverpool. We will never be able to catch up unless we bridge those goals differences.

So first being to rebalance the RW, then a creative midfielder to share the load with Bruno and then a Matic sub.

I would give Bailey/Axel a go next season and if they both fail, then maybe it becomes a priority the following season with Mengi in the wings.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Still pretty young for a CB. Didn’t John Terry only break through at 24-25?
Terry started seeing regular first team football at 20. I guess you mean break through that people started taking proper notice but that was when Mourinho showed up, basically the best thing that could happen to Terry.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pretty much just expect him to take Phil Jones' squad place, until proven otherwise.

sparx99

Terry started seeing regular first team football at 20. I guess you mean break through that people started taking proper notice but that was when Mourinho showed up, basically the best thing that could happen to Terry.
Ahh ok. It’s so long ago now!

I still have hope this year was just a bad year for Axel. I love his ambition and the way he talks of being Utd captain one day.

Eire Red United

I swear it seems since Vidic did the knee that time we have had nothing but rotten luck with CB’s either being injured or generally useless. Hope this lad can get fit, Ole seems to rate him for sure.

lex talionis

Tuanzebe looks a great CB in the making. He's only 22. There's plenty of runway in front of him to push for a long term role as starting CB for United.

davidmichael

I don’t think he’s another Phil Jones at all and think it was a case of he had a serious injury and came back to soon, he’s out til September isn’t he ? The new season doesn’t start til then so he’s in no rush to get back this time.

My mate is a Villa fan and said Tuanzebe really stood out in the season he was on loan there and played about 25 games that season, what we need to not do is rush him back as we seem to do with players.

If Tuanzebe can stay fit as well as Mengi coming through then those two along with Maguire and Lindelof could form a great set of options at centre back and I’d personally keep Smalling around too then move Bailly, Jones and Rojo on as Smalling is a better defender than those three whilst having a far better fitness record.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I hope he gets the same chances next season as he would have had this season, had he been fit. But we can't go into the season with him third choice (or Bailly). It's no great harm to Tuanzebe to be fourth choice next season - if he proves his fitness and performs well he can play himself into the team, without us being reliant on him staying injury free.

quirkey

Nobody is that stupid to pay decent money for him.
I never said they would; he could go to America or China.We are not going to get great money for him but could see Miami or one of the Chinese clubs paying in around £10m for him.

flappyjay

Sad to say but we can't count on him going into next season. In such a congested schedule an injury prone player is an even bigger liability. We should get rid of one of him and Bailly along with Jones, Rojo, Smalling (unless we are not signing any cb)

Jibbs

I never said they would; he could go to America or China.We are not going to get great money for him but could see Miami or one of the Chinese clubs paying in around £10m for him.
We should be glad if we extract combined total fee of 30m for Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Rojo.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Tuanzebe has this trick were he seems to get more hyped the more time he spends in the treatment room. I call it the Fabio Da Silva effect.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tuanzebe has this trick were he seems to get more hyped the more time he spends in the treatment room. I call it the Fabio Da Silva effect.
If he hadn’t been so terribly injury prone this season, I’d say we should be looking to sell for big money.

Kid was brilliant in the academy, but that was too long ago for me. Most people don’t think we should keep TFM based on form he showed years ago, despite suffering injuries since then, so I don’t see why Axel is different.

And I don’t think he was THAT special at Villa either. You look at Ben White, who spent the season on loan at a promoted Championship side at a similar age, and now has a host of Premier League clubs trying to sign him for big money (including Chelsea). Brighton have already rejected £22m, and are apparently looking for £40m. That is the sort of standard you are expected to reach for people to say you should be coming back and getting into the United team, in my opinion. He was good at Villa, but nothing special, but fans love an academy success, and to me, are fond of lowering the bar to meet whatever level their favourite young player is at, rather than demanding he meet the same bar as anyone else expected to play in the team.

RUCK4444

Sad to see people giving up on him. When I’ve seen him play live the kid seems to have every attribute, was really hoping he would step up and be that quick talented CB to pair Maguire.

I have written him off yet.

Mcking

I wanted him to partner Maguire at start of season, but I'm not so convinced now.

He's been unable to stay fit for a decent amount of time, and when he got to play, he was underwhelming. Handed Aubameyang a goal against Arsenal, dominated by Joelinton, and couldn't get a hold of Colchester forwards.

I'd be looking to sell him for a good price before it is too late.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I wanted him to partner Maguire at start of season, but I'm not so convinced now.

He's been unable to stay fit for a decent amount of time, and when he got to play, he was underwhelming. Handed Aubameyang a goal against Arsenal, dominated by Joelinton, and couldn't get a hold of Colchester forwards.

I'd be looking to sell him for a good price before it is too late.
Based on what?

BlahRules

SAF sold injury prone players regardless how talented they maybe. But now we would keep them and give them a raise for stupid measure.

Saha and Hargreaves would have retired under this regime.

devilish

If he hadn’t been so terribly injury prone this season, I’d say we should be looking to sell for big money.

Kid was brilliant in the academy, but that was too long ago for me. Most people don’t think we should keep TFM based on form he showed years ago, despite suffering injuries since then, so I don’t see why Axel is different.

And I don’t think he was THAT special at Villa either. You look at Ben White, who spent the season on loan at a promoted Championship side at a similar age, and now has a host of Premier League clubs trying to sign him for big money (including Chelsea). Brighton have already rejected £22m, and are apparently looking for £40m. That is the sort of standard you are expected to reach for people to say you should be coming back and getting into the United team, in my opinion. He was good at Villa, but nothing special, but fans love an academy success, and to me, are fond of lowering the bar to meet whatever level their favourite young player is at, rather than demanding he meet the same bar as anyone else expected to play in the team.
All successful United's CBs had one thing in common and that was that they were 6ft3+. Pally (6ft4), Johnsen (6ft3), Stam (6ft3), Rio (6ft3), Vidic (6ft3), Maguire (6ft4) and to a certain extent Smalling (6ft3). Drop below that and you start having issues (Berg, Silvestre, Jones etc). United's CBs tend to struggle physically and aerially even at 6ft2 (Bailly, Lindelof, Wes and Rojo) so every inch count. I remember Silvestre-Brown pair and each cross was like having to deal with a penalty.

The only exception to the case was Steve Bruce (yep that old) who was 6ft. On the other hand the guy was a freak of nature who was unbeatable in air and was made up of concrete. If Vidic, Maguire or Stam went into a tackle against Steve Bruce then they would be the one getting hurt.

Tuanzebe is 6ft1 and he's certainly not Steve Bruce. He's got pace which is something Maguire's partner needs to have but he's weak aerially and he seems a bit of a crock. I've yet to see an injury prone player who doesn't end up a burden for us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
All successful United's CBs had one thing in common and that was that they were 6ft3+. Pally (6ft4), Johnsen (6ft3), Stam (6ft3), Rio (6ft3), Vidic (6ft3), Maguire (6ft4) and to a certain extent Smalling (6ft3). Drop below that and you start having issues (Berg, Silvestre, Jones etc). United's CBs tend to struggle physically and aerially even at 6ft2 (Bailly, Lindelof, Wes and Rojo) so every inch count. I remember Silvestre-Brown pair and each cross was like having to deal with a penalty.

The only exception to the case was Steve Bruce (yep that old) who was 6ft. On the other hand the guy was a freak of nature who was unbeatable in air and was made up of concrete. If Vidic, Maguire or Stam went into a tackle against Steve Bruce then they would be the one getting hurt.

Tuanzebe is 6ft1 and he's certainly not Steve Bruce. He's got pace which is something Maguire's partner needs to have but he's weak aerially and he seems a bit of a crock. I've yet to see an injury prone player who doesn't end up a burden for us.
I’m not even saying Axel won’t or can’t make it here. I’m just saying he hasn’t shown that he can yet.

devilish

I’m not even saying Axel won’t or can’t make it here. I’m just saying he hasn’t shown that he can yet.
I don't think he will make it at least as CB. He's injury prone, he's too short and he's not strong aerial wise.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Paul McGrath was 6ft. All successful United centerbacks had one thing in common – they were great defenders, height is not the decisive factor, albeit an important one.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't think he will make it at least as CB. He's injury prone, he's too short and he's not strong aerial wise.
We’ve had several centre halves of late who haven’t been strong aerially. The one we had we sent to Italy because he couldn’t moonlight as a #10. Axel just needs to be a good enough defender. He needs to be one of the best in the PL. The thing is, when it comes to youth players, people change that standard. They instead start referencing other average players who have also played at the top and say that hopefully the latest young player can also be an average player who plays at the top level, rather than just demand a top level one.

Such a strange piece of analysis. An inch here or there makes no difference (that’s not what she said).

Far more important would be someone’s actual ability to play and to stay fit - far more important than a specific height.

By your analysis you could also say that we’ve never had a centre back who has been successful over 6tf 4, and therefore shouldn’t by one.

devilish

We’ve had several centre halves of late who haven’t been strong aerially. The one we had we sent to Italy because he couldn’t moonlight as a #10. Axel just needs to be a good enough defender. He needs to be one of the best in the PL. The thing is, when it comes to youth players, people change that standard. They instead start referencing other average players who have also played at the top and say that hopefully the latest young player can also be an average player who plays at the top level, rather than just demand a top level one.
How many of them were successful with us though?

devilish

Such a strange piece of analysis. An inch here or there makes no difference (that’s not what she said).

Far more important would be someone’s actual ability to play and to stay fit - far more important than a specific height.

By your analysis you could also say that we’ve never had a centre back who has been successful over 6tf 4, and therefore shouldn’t by one.
How many non 6ft3 CBs were successful with us? You also have to look around us as well. Van Dijk for example is 6ft4

There had been many many successful CBs who weren't tall. However that happened in other leagues who play a different style of football and face different threats.

devilish

Paul McGrath was 6ft. All successful United centerbacks had one thing in common – they were great defenders, height is not the decisive factor, albeit an important one.
That was prior my time mate. How tall were the average person back in the day? How many EPL titles did we won with Paul McGrath in the team?

Hoboman

There had been many many successful CBs who weren't tall. However that happened in other leagues who play a different style of football and face different threats.
Carragher, Carvalho and Toure are one of the best centrebecks in EPL history and none of them were taller than 6ft1.

Andersonson

SAF sold injury prone players regardless how talented they maybe. But now we would keep them and give them a raise for stupid measure.

Saha and Hargreaves would have retired under this regime.
He kept Brown. He was regarded as one of the biggest defensive talents he had seen. He was on the bench in 99' and started the 08 CL final. He was very prone to injuries but his qualities kept him at the club anyways.

SAF was ruthless, but he knew when to be. He wouldnt have sold Axel because of one season with injuries. He would've kept him and watched after him

Remember the geese

Carragher at 6ft 1 was a very good centre back in his day. John Terry, despite his diminutive 6ft 2 frame, was a world class centre back. His defensive partner for many years, Ricardo Carvalho is a mere dot at 6ft. Sol Campbell, like Terry is under 6ft 3. He played alongside and went unbeaten with 5ft 10 Kolo Toure. Joe Gomez also falls under 6ft 3 and has done pretty well for himself alongside Van Dijk. Nicholas Otamendi is 6ft and played consistently during title winning campaigns for City. At a push, Fernandinho who has played there fairly regularly, is 5ft 9.

devilish

Carragher, Carvalho and Toure are one of the best centrebecks in EPL history and none of them were taller than 6ft1.
Where they? Would you swap Rio, Vidic, Stam, Van Dijk or even the likes of Kompany with any of those guys?

devilish

Carragher at 6ft 1 was a very good centre back in his day. John Terry, despite his diminutive 6ft 2 frame, was a world class centre back. His defensive partner for many years, Ricardo Carvalho is a mere dot at 6ft. Sol Campbell, like Terry is under 6ft 3. He played alongside and went unbeaten with 5ft 10 Kolo Toure. Joe Gomez also falls under 6ft 3 and has done pretty well for himself alongside Van Dijk. Nicholas Otamendi is 6ft and played consistently during title winning campaigns for City. At a push, Fernandinho who has played there fairly regularly, is 5ft 9.
Sol and Terry are 6ft2 which isn't much shorter then 6ft3 but still. I was never impressed with Carragher, Toure, Gomez or Carvalho tbh. They were decent defenders but nowhere near to WC.

My favourite CB ever is Franco Baresi. In his prime He'd probably shit on any CB we've mentioned before and he was 5ft9. However as said, its a different league that play different style of football and face different threats. I can't think of many United CBs who were successful at the club and were shorter then 6ft3

Remember the geese

I was never impressed with Carragher, Toure, Gomez or Carvalho tbh. They were decent defenders but nowhere near to WC.
Think it depends on what your argument is. Regardless of whether these players were world class or not, aside from Carragher, they were all regular starters in league winning campaigns. Is that an acceptable standard for a 6ft 1 Tuanzebe to reach? Basically I think that there are a variety of issues that may prevent Tuanzebe from making it at United, but as has been proven elsewhere in England, lack of height is not one of them.