Turn the Caf Green and Gold

Kaos

I'm for this. Those of you cynics saying it will achieve nothing - who cares? Most fans here aren't match going, so its something that at least registers our discontent.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Green and Gold until the caf is sold?

Kaos

The main problem with this and a lot of other supporter campaigns post 2010 is that it's too reactionary.

If United announced Sancho and Telles tomorrow all of this anti Glazer sentiment would go away until January and the next transfer saga. Just like after we signed Fernandes.
Shame on us if thats the case. We should continue to kick up a huge fuss irrespective of whether we sign Sancho or not. The current regime have proven to be completely inept, parasitic owners. A last minute desperate consolation offering should not mask that.

Fitchett

We must do something. The leeches are getting off lightly with no fans at matches. There were lengthy loud chants against the Glazers last season, especially during January before Fernandes was signed. I enjoyed singing "Build a bonfire .... " for 20 minutes at a time.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The main problem with this and a lot of other supporter campaigns post 2010 is that it's too reactionary.

If United announced Sancho and Telles tomorrow all of this anti Glazer sentiment would go away until January and the next transfer saga. Just like after we signed Fernandes.
This is my problem with it. There are tons of reasons to want them out of the club but the only thing a lot of fans care about is transfers. The issues at the club go way deeper than Jadon Sancho.

A genuine fans' movement can't afford to lose most of its momentum the day after a chunk of short-sighted, fairweather supporters get their dream signing. It needs to be organised and sustained. And, even then, it probably won't work.

The fanbase is already ridiculously fractured, so getting everyone on the same page in these days of goldfish-like attention spans would be almost impossible.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Don't worry, no need to do anything as it doesn't look like we will be the united of old for the next decade. The commercial side will eventually die out. We won't stay 'mighty' united forever, it's a miracle that even after nearly 10 years of mediocrity, we still where we are financially - and it's only down to Fergie's long legacy and the fans.

I give Ed and Glazers another 5-8 years to kill this club off completely when sponsors don't see us as commercially viable anymore. (also City and Liverpool would gain a lot more over us in that time increasing their commercial aspects further)
Don't be silly - Ed & co are clueless on the football but it's difficult to feck up in the commercial side, we are simply too big to 'die'

We went 25yrs without winning the league Inc relegation between Busby and Fergie but were still a huge draw throughout

That's the problem, Glazers are too secure financially to force them out- although funnily enough COVID and lack of matchday revenue is a threat to their business plan.
COVID has a lot more chance of getting rid of them than online protests.

TsuWave

Green and gold is an ugly colour combination, plus it’s not like turning this website green and gold would accomplish anything. Just feels like a “I want to feel like a real fan” kind of ego stroking.

Red >>> Green & gold

Hoof the ball

Knowing our luck, if everyone started wearing green/gold and turning the forum into the same the Glazers would probably release a green/gold kit in response.

OleBoiii

I'm all for it.

Both /r/RedDevils and RedCafe going green and gold sends a pretty strong message as far as "internet wars" go.

RUCK4444

Yes! Do it!

Buy the domain for Green&GoldCafe.net and point both here, put a big line through the ‘Red’ part of the banner at the top and do a spray paint style ‘Green & Gold’ over the top of it.

Would be so cool. Would also make us feel like we are doing something whilst online even if people think it does nothing, it would get noticed.

Fooza

Don't be silly - Ed & co are clueless on the football but it's difficult to feck up in the commercial side, we are simply too big to 'die'

We went 25yrs without winning the league Inc relegation between Busby and Fergie but were still a huge draw throughout

That's the problem, Glazers are too secure financially to force them out- although funnily enough COVID and lack of matchday revenue is a threat to their business plan.
COVID has a lot more chance of getting rid of them than online protests.
I agree with Covid, and usually we would normally be too big to die. However, you can't compare 25 yrs ago to now, especially with owners in other clubs that are multi-billionaires pumping money into their clubs to get them to the top. It's very easy to see and hope that one day we will be at the top, but we don't want to see what the likes of City will achieve in 10-20 years.

Our commercial side will flop if we don't invest or get to old ways and compete for the big trophies, it's as simple as that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we get relegated or become a bottom table team. But with Ed at the helm, if we don't compete, everything will eventually dry up soon. He is still benefitting from a large fan base and Fergie's successful years but the way he is going - his business side will not save he's naivety in football (unless he fixes up and hires top people who know how to run a football club).

Blood Mage

I'm behind this 100%. It would be great to see the youtube fan channels do something similar.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I’m for this. Might get other fan sites to join in. If we do absolutely nothing then we cannot complain about the Glazers.

Tiber

Knowing our luck, if everyone started wearing green/gold and turning the forum into the same the Glazers would probably release a green/gold kit in response.
I was waiting for that to happen when the green and gold thing was in vogue.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Well they are right - what difference will it make?

And IIRC Redcafe did go green &gold when the original protest happened
The current climate is completely different to the one in 2010. Back then social media was barely a thing, and United as a club certainly didn't have much presence online. Forums like this one were mere niche echo chambers so even if there was a protest on here that protest alone wouldn't have added much fuel to the fire.

Fast forward a decade and things are entirely different. Forums like this one aren't as niche as they once were, people who are on here will also have some sort of presence on twitter, facebook, insta, youtube, reddit and wherever other United communities exist. The moment the caf goes Green and Gold, r/reddevils will automatically get off the fence and follow suit. Then you'll have thousands of people from these sites spreading the word to other platforms. Soon you'll have big fan channels and influencers jump on the trend. And it won't be long before it's picked up by the media.

The club's social media has been hammered by negative comments for a few weeks now. And the club is quite clearly rattled judging by some of the reports earlier this week. A widespread Green and Gold protest will mean the club will continue to be bombarded with protests no matter what they post on social media. Sponsors will be far more reluctant to commit when they see what kind of toxic environment the club has created in relation to its fans.

Doing something is better than doing nothing however small effect it has. He who is silent, when he ought to have spoken and was able to, is taken to agree. We have to start somewhere.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
This is my problem with it. There are tons of reasons to want them out of the club but the only thing a lot of fans care about is transfers. The issues at the club go way deeper than Jadon Sancho.

A genuine fans' movement can't afford to lose most of its momentum the day after a chunk of short-sighted, fairweather supporters get their dream signing. It needs to be organised and sustained. And, even then, it probably won't work.

The fanbase is already ridiculously fractured, so getting everyone on the same page in these days of goldfish-like attention spans would be almost impossible.
The first 3 words of your paragraph sum it up for me.

We haven't had a genuine fans movement since May 2005. Social media doesn't help things.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The current climate is completely different to the one in 2010. Back then social media was barely a thing, and United as a club certainly didn't have much presence online. Forums like this one were mere niche echo chambers so even if there was a protest on here that protest alone wouldn't have added much fuel to the fire.

Fast forward a decade and things are entirely different. Forums like this one aren't as niche as they once were, people who are on here will also have some sort of presence on twitter, facebook, insta, youtube, reddit and wherever other United communities exist. The moment the caf goes Green and Gold, r/reddevils will automatically get off the fence and follow suit. Then you'll have thousands of people from these sites spreading the word to other platforms. Soon you'll have big fan channels and influencers jump on the trend. And it won't be long before it's picked up by the media.

The club's social media has been hammered by negative comments for a few weeks now. And the club is quite clearly rattled judging by some of the reports earlier this week. A widespread Green and Gold protest will mean the club will continue to be bombarded with protests no matter what they post on social media. Sponsors will be far more reluctant to commit when they see what kind of toxic environment the club has created in relation to its fans.

Doing something is better than doing nothing however small effect it has. He who is silent, when he ought to have spoken and was able to, is taken to agree. We have to start somewhere.
I don't agree with much of that at all TBH - the original G&G campaign was actually started on an internet forum (a smaller one than this in fact) and grew massively to eventually hit huge global media exposure. The show of protest in the ground was a big part of that. It made no difference to sponsors etc in the end though, in fact the front page exposure probably attracts sponsors if anything.

And in the end the Glazers stayed because the hopes for a 'fan friendly' buy out from the 'Red Knights' never materialised.
Same problem now, who is the alternative?

True though that social media is bigger now and #GlazerOut trends online often already, I don't think it bothers the club much but feel free to continue your online protest it can't hurt I suppose and might convince Ed/Glazers to buy a shiny new player to keep the fanbase happy until the next window

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It's time for the fans to start voicing their discontent and this might not do anything but it has to start somewhere. I am all for it.

Greck

Redcafe already did this a decade ago. There'd need to be something different about the current wave of protests to make them retry it

Can't even tell if the current discontent is pure or is really just about Sancho

Last edited:

Tel074

The best way we can protest is by not attending home games after Corona . A empty OT will send out a plain and simple message to the owners

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The first 3 words of your paragraph sum it up for me.

We haven't had a genuine fans movement since May 2005. Social media doesn't help things.
Nothing happens unless match-going fans are engaged and there are no match-goers. Also, the hardcore element that stuck around in 2005 are largely middle-aged and jaded and proper movements need youth and energy.

I'm sounding like a miserable cnut about this because I'd desperately love to be part of something that pressures the owners into positive action but I just don't see what that is right now. I agree that hitting them in the pocket is the only thing they'll care about but how you mobilise millions of people from different countries and cultures to do that is a huge challenge.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Nothing happens unless match-going fans are engaged and there are no match-goers. Also, the hardcore element that stuck around in 2005 are largely middle-aged and jaded and proper movements need youth and energy.

I'm sounding like a miserable cnut about this because I'd desperately love to be part of something that pressures the owners into positive action but I just don't see what that is right now. I agree that hitting them in the pocket is the only thing they'll care about but how you mobilise millions of people from different countries and cultures to do that is a huge challenge.
Weighty ex-player figures like Robson, Cantona, Neville, Rio, Evra etc need to form a real world coalition which unifies fans to revolt in the real world and online. Once they create and lead, a series of actions can be discussed and implemented. These could include using streams instead of paying for satellite subscriptions, boycotting the stadium once fans are allowed back after covid19, mass boycott of sponsorship brands, spamming sponsor brands social media with protest messaging, public demonstrations outside the stadium and in cities and towns all around the world; many many things can be done.

But the key is to have some credible and fan trusted leaders to publicly front the campaign in the real world. Otherwise its just disorganised internet noise that cant be converted into real world pressure.

Once we are rid of them, we'd need to find a new buyer, so that opens up a new can of worms :lol:.

Whomever buys the club, they should consider candidates like Neville, Van Der Saar or even Solkjaer to be CEO or DoF type figures. ie: I think it's crucial that United's DNA and philosophy is only entrusted to people who truly know the clubs values and historic identity, else the football produced will never live up to fan expectations.

Actully a lot of the strategic work has been done: OGS has sold in a new vision and already transformed a lot of things. But that strategy can never work properly unless its led by competent football people.

VanGaalEra

Let’s do it, I can also see on social media there’s going to be a mass unfollow of Manchester United social media accounts once the window closes.

Everyone should buckle up and do it together.

Cloud7

Social media is the starting point online. Hit our twitter and Instagram pages with protest comments or whatever and the rest of our fans around the world will soon be on board. The club won't really care, but it'll get things going.
To be fair most of the comments on our social media posts these days are quite disgruntled United fans, so this is already going on

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
To be fair most of the comments on our social media posts these days are quite disgruntled United fans, so this is already going on
I should have known, to be honest. But that's still the route that makes the biggest wave online. RedCafe turning green and gold will barely make a ripple, but it's still something in the grand scheme if things I suppose.