Turning on Rangnick

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm not turning on any more managers, all my ire is directed at the players from now on. Fecking frauds stealing a living.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This just highlights how stupid a lot of people are.

The club has been rotting for 2 years~ with Ole at the helm. This squad is just poor. 1 month isn't going to be enough to fix it. Hell, 1 year isn't.

Rangnick's philosophy can't work with this squad, so he's going to have to adapt, and he will.
By rotting you mean finishing 3rd and then 2nd? Reaching semi finals? That kind of rotting?

Yes the time for Ole to go had come but this is worse than what he was getting out of the squad

BuzzKillington

WUM thread, but given he’s here as an interim, what’s the point in assessing him in any other way than what he delivers on the pitch on a game-by-game basis. It’s utterly awful fare at the moment. If we were pressing and playing well for the first 60 mins then running out of gas, then I could accept it. But we’ve changed managers and absolutely nothing else has improved. What is the game plan here? We’ve got rid of “inept” back room staff and replaced them with a guy who was too shit for US football and a sports psychologist who seems to have actually reduced the confidence of the team?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He isn't all that good a manager. But we already knew this. We had his long track history to judge him on and nobody would have considered him for the permanent job.

We put ourselves in a position where we had to pick an emergency manager from limited options, and this is the result. Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

Rangnick's upside comes in whatever influence he can have in the medium term beyond the interim role. Because god knows we need better decision making at that level.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ultimately he’s a manager who will only be here til the end of the season anyway so there’s pretty much no reason for anyone to actually actively want to defend him when we underperform, unlike Ole. So I expect if this continues that people will be fed up before long. But top four will be gone by then so we may as well just wait it out

soapythecat

His CV is very underwhelming for the standard we hope to achieve. The coaches he’s brought in have a similar CV of…meh.
He’s not the answer and never was. We should be seeing some signs of improvement but the football is worse than under Ole. Outplayed everywhere.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I haven’t turned against him as such. No point, he’s here until the end of a season that was already a write off. It would have been nice to see any improvement whatsoever though.

KingCavani

Rangnick is doing a lot of things wrong but today was one of the worst performances I have seen from the players in 20+ years . I am not sure he is responsible for everyone collectively having touches that go 10 feet in front of them
That wasn’t even close to one of our worst displays in the last 5 alone.

The hyperbole after every game… :lol:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Well atleast he ain’t here to stay. He can’t get nothing out of this team and I see zero gameplay. This squad needs a reboot. Imagine that.
Glad you double negatived that.

Anyone seriously turning on Rangnick after his first month or so having been covid hit and this being his first loss needs their head checking.

Football has been mixed, first half v Palace and Burnley were good, rest has been meh. Results haven't been terrible, tonight aside.

The team is seemingly on an upward curve. Woodward having less and less influence, more football men about. We have to give it a chance.

AndySmith1990

It's very easy to hate football right now.

Our club is a shambles, our football is horrid, and our fan base is full of impatient imbeciles.

Here's a fact some of you don't want to hear. It's going to take a lot longer than 2 months for any manager to significantly improve this team. You're in for a rough ride if you've already given up on Rangnick.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He’s only just got here! We’ve had a corona outbreak since then!
I genuinely think some people thought Ole was some kind of joke who didn’t know what he was doing and that we would just immediately improve.
Football isn’t that simple.
For once, I agree with you.

Ixion

Nah. I wasn't expecting a quick turn around, we have barely deserved to win any games this season we just happen to be rich and have a few players other clubs cant afford that can steal some points for us.

There has been criminal under-investment in the centre of midfield and not cared about possession football for years and Rangnick can't fix it in 4 weeks.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How long has it taken you to turn on Rangnick?

5 games in and the footy is flaccid, no penetration.

Get Ten Haard in.
Ten Haag is the worst manager to bring in now.
We need wholesale changes.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
That wasn’t even close to one of our worst displays in the last 5 alone.

The hyperbole after every game… :lol:

I don’t think it’s hyperbole at all . There are games where you play badly against great teams and you just live with it but this was just pathetic . The number of times people just randomly made silly basic schoolboy errors was incredible

RedPed

Whatabouter.
We saw a marked difference under Carrick albeit for only 3 games. I was expecting the same at the very least under Rangnick. It's unusual to not even get the new manager bounce. He's certainly not doing himself any favours for the long term.

Ekeke

I just hope this "new start" idea is over and the players who were letting us down before and have now reverted to type after 1 or 1.5 good matches for Ralf and are back to being poor arent going to be talked up as not being a problem for us and an area we can strengthen in the coming windows.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There’s a difference between turning on a manager and not yet being convinced. It’s just as daft to think he’ll do a terrific job as a terrible one, we’ve not seen enough yet. That said, the shape he’s picked does nobody any favours and his lineup and subs have been strange.

Barthez

Wow - Are we into wanting a shiny new toy already!!

SAFMUTD

Still have faith in him, but it's really worrying that we are showing absolutely no signs of all the theory he talks about.

He talks about pressing and control and we shown none, I'd be far less calm if we were doing it poorly but we look as disjointed as we did under Ole.

The 4-2-2-2 formation doesn't suit us at all, I don't know why he keeps persisting with it. We barely create chances whatsoever and we've been dominated by every single team we have played against since Palace.

We will lose UCL qualification and Ronaldo along with it.

Rocknrolla69er

he's made the turd worse though, somehow
The players have made themself's worse.
Some just arnt interestd as they think they are untouchable and on huge wages.

Huge unbalance in central midfield, I dare say if we had 2 more mobile and better in possession central mids like Neves, we d look 50 percent better.

But we still have players like AWB absolutely stinking the place out on huge wages. And nobody to turn too in the middle so a 5 years past his sell by date Matic.

And Mctominay who has zero consistency and for me a questionable attitude.

Huge clear out needed, and a really intelligent and thorough recruitment drive with huge emphasis on hunger, desire and a winners mentality

Kaos

He's off (upstairs?) this summer anyway, its the players that are the issue. Uncoachable and overrated group of divas. The sooner we bin off this sorry iteration of a United squad the better. Ten Hag will hardly be playing total football with our championship level fullbacks and McFred/Matic anyway.

Dominos

I genuinely think some people thought Ole was some kind of joke who didn’t know what he was doing and that we would just immediately improve.
Ole built this squad, so either he didn't know what he was doing in the transfer market or he didn't know how to coach them, or both.

I cannot be convinced that the team that finished top 4 last two seasons and has added the likes of Bruno, Cavani, VDB, Varane, Sancho, Ronaldo over the last couple of years should be putting in this level of performance. Not only do we not look top 4 quality, we look Sunday League level. Our players can't be this bad to be getting routinely outplayed by the likes of Watford, Norwich, Newcastle and Wolves.

Irwin99

That was quick :lol: It's so hard to deconstruct the issues at this club regarding the players, the managers and the owners and in all likelihood it's a combination of all those things. I'm pretty certain we're not getting top 4 this season unless things drastically improve.

It's complete guess work but I bet some players were happy with Ole's 'good vibes' philosophy and others weren't and now we have the opposite with Ralf where some players aren't happy or are baffled by the tactics- and i can't say I blame them sometimes. For SO LONG the balance of this team has looked dreadful and there's such a lack of cohesion regardless of manager or formation.

atkar83

Why are we turning on the manager? It’s the players. How’s he meant to account for so many unnecessary errors?

I’m not even a massive fan of his but he’s been given a totally unbalanced squad and we’re expecting him to work wonders?

Tonight was shite as we’re the games at Newcastle and Norwich so I understand the frustrations. But these players didn’t look arsed under Jose, they gave up eventually under Ole and now seemingly haven’t even bothered for this guy.

They don’t deserve our support any more than the man coaching them.
I'm not completely giving up on him but you say blame the players, but he has 2 midfielders that rarely play well together and 4 attackers, yet wants control of games. How does he expect that to happen with Matic and McT? They're set up for failure against any team with a half ass midfield or more numbers there

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
By rotting you mean finishing 3rd and then 2nd? Reaching semi finals? That kind of rotting?

Yes the time for Ole to go had come but this is worse than what he was getting out of the squad
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Context is important. Ole just blagged it, waiting for individual brilliance, which saved him many times.

Ole had years to get things right, Rangnick has had a month with COVID issues.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Guilty :(

Gavinb33

What annoys me about him is in every post match interview he goes on about us not having enough control in the game, he’ll say the same today, but I’m not seeing him do anything about it. He needs to ditch this formation and get the control by filling midfield and have 3 across the top.
Not sure what you want him to do the players are who we thought they were, we have no control of games because we have no one who can control games no amount of coaching can teach that.

We need a midfielder or 2 ASAP

Jacob

Managers have been fired for less. Fortunately for him we've secured points whilst playing abysmally. That seems to have have changed now.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't understand why he's trying so revolutionary ideas which go against common sense, ESPECIALLY that he's just an interim.

NoMidfielders

Not sure any manager would instantly get us performing at the moment but I don’t really see how this 4222 will work with our current players

RopersReturn

Before we get started, it’s certainly not Rangnicks fault. He didn’t buy any of those players, he’s simply learning about the hand he’s been dealt.

hobbers

Not turning on the manager but recognising that our playing squad left by Ole is shit and not fit for purpose.

The only criticism of Rangnick so far is 4-2-2-2 is a horrible formation when you have talentless full backs like AWB and it's a total waste of time using it.