TV companies showing replays and getting players banned

red4ever 79

No problem with the replays and retrospective bans as long as it is consistent. Young should receive a 5 match ban for his actions.

Bojan11

I agree with the OP, they definitely do it selectively. There's plenty of shocking challenges that don't get half the attention of others. Whether it's an agenda, a narrative or the profile of the player, I don't know. Probably all three depending on the player.
Well maybe you could name these shocking challenges?

dichinero

VAR wouldn’t do anything in this case though. Unless Tadic complains to the ref.
Unless I'm mistaken. Tadic had a little conversation with the ref whilst pointing at Young later in the game. Maybe an unrelated incident

JonDahl

That said, everything surely has to be equal? If yesterday's wasn't a televised live would there be any attention drawn to it?
This is the point that many people in the thread have spectacularly missed so far.

If OP is correct in saying nothing was in the match report, then Ashley Young gets away with it if:

a) it isn't televised (like 99% of games)
b) The TV station don't try and paint a "picture" or narrative to increase hype/push agendas/run with public opinion - if instead of Young, it was a player or team who "wouldn't do that sort of thing", the broadcaster can easily use his own opinion to say that looking at the incident more than once isn't worth the time. The incident then doesn't get flagged up.

Both of which aren't leading to a fair implementation of the rules.

Red_toad

That doesn't happen, and it's RAWK level to think it does.

If the media is against Utd, why does every other teams fanbase think the media is out to get their team too?
Give over with the RAWK shite, I did not say the media were anti United, I said it was certain teams and players.

Prime example De Gea kicked in the ribs and stomped on in the West Brom match, no further action taken. Every other teams fan base will also be able to point to multiple examples. But usually there's more scrutiny of big teams and high profile players. All games should receive the same coverage and all such incidents should result in bans, as that makes it fair.

Last edited:

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
:lol: Ridiculous thread. Very RAWKish.

It's ridiculous. Suarez had it worse though. It's a sad day when you can't even go around biting opponents without having to worry about getting grassed up by the tv cameras afterwards.
:D

Smores

That doesn't happen, and it's RAWK level to think it does.

If the media is against Utd, why does every other teams fanbase think the media is out to get their team too?
Do you think the likes of MOTD and/or papers think there's equal interest in reporting a United incident vs lesser clubs?

It's also pretty hard to argue there isn't an english bias in reporting, the likes of Ali get away with a lot.

This one is totally on Young but what the OP is referring to does happen in some sense.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well maybe you could name these shocking challenges?
I haven't got the memory or inclination to go back and find them. Considering they were barely covered in the media a google search won't be much help.

I'm not claiming it's all against United either if that's what you are taking issue with. Other big clubs get the same raw deal, it tends to be the lower clubs. A reckless challenge is given a warning and that's the last you hear of it. When a high profile player does it, it's given 2 minutes on MNF and MOTD and shared across twitter and the FA react.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Give over with the RAWK shite, I did not say the media were anti United, I said it was certain teams and players.

Prime example De Gea kicked in the ribs and stomped on in the West Brom match, no further action taken. Every other teams fan base will also be able to point to multiple examples. But usually there's more scrutiny of big teams and high profile players. All games should receive the same coverage and all such incidents should result in bans, as that makes it fair.
Another good example being Adrian deliberately injuring Ibra after he scored. I’m convinced that injury was the beginning of the end for his cruciate ligaments. Didn’t even get a mention in the analysis.

I guess bringing this shit up is RAWKish though. Am I doing this right?

Ondrej

Players do so many worse things and challenges on the pitch and they get either unnoticed or a the most they get a yellow. A little elbow is not really worthy of a ban. Guess the FA felt pressured by the media and experts on reddit.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
I remember when they started doing this thing in Scotland. Because obviously Celtic and to a slightly lesser extent Rangers, were getting the majority of the coverage with the most cameras, it was mostly Celtic and Rangers players getting caught out by this sort of thing. I think the use of replays to make sure people are punished for serious things is a good idea, but it may come across like the TV director is the adjudicator of who gets punished or not based on what replays they want to show or what footage they take. As long as the system is being applied fairly to everyone, it should be fine.

Kazi

Don’t care. We should do whatever it takes on the pitch to get the W, regardless of what the cameras might pick up.

Bojan11

Another good example being Adrian deliberately injuring Ibra after he scored. I’m convinced that injury was the beginning of the end for his cruciate ligaments. Didn’t even get a mention in the analysis.

I guess bringing this shit up is RAWKish though. Am I doing this right?
Erm yes it did. All you need to google search that incident. You have Phil Neville and Dean Ashton both calling it deliberate.

Acole9

Outstanding
Stop making excuses/blaming other people for our crap performances, Young got himself banned through his own stupidity.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
TV companies are supposed to analyse the game and these incidents are part of the game. Only thing to blame for Young getting banned is Young.
Agree with Damo.
If anything the criticism should be on inconsistency on when they blow stuff up, not that they blow up stuff that are worthy of mentioning.

dichinero

Isn't it their job to show replays? Isn't that the point of a TV? Are the ones that ban players?

Blue always red

Agree with the OP. Was thinking during their half-time analysis that some for of punishment was going to be dished out because of their constant re-runs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I agree with the OP, they definitely do it selectively. There's plenty of shocking challenges that don't get half the attention of others. Whether it's an agenda, a narrative or the profile of the player, I don't know. Probably all three depending on the player.
Thank you, that's more what i'm aiming at with this thread.

No i'm not defending Young, obviously it's his own fault and it was stupid, but so many little things like this happen in a game, many of them get brushed over. If they hadn't of shown the replay and made a big fuss out of it I doubt we would have ever known. That's what I meant, the TV companies have the power to decide whether to talk about it or not. I bet if that's Kane or Alli nothing gets said.

Carl S Bridge

Absolutely, stupid behaviour such as Young's elbow needs to be cut out of the game it's petty, furthermore it allows us to look at diving and simulation which frankly is embarrassing to watch and degrades the sport as a whole.

Nick7

Yeah it's fine. If someone threw a punch and knocked someone out they deserve to be banned whether or not a referee saw it or not. Young deserved to be punished, any player doing something like that deserves to be punished.

R'hllor

:lol: Supreme leader would be proud on this thread...Jesus Christ

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I think most people misunderstood this thread. It's definitely a big problem that a television network has influence on a player getting suspended or not.

This time with Young the punishment was correct but if they decided not to show it he'd probably not have had the correct punishment.

Snafu17

I agree with this. Though I guess it's less of an issue of the TV broadcasters but rather FA being incompetent morons who don't really seem to be able to do their job without someone pointing it out to them.

But you know ha ha RAWK for people who don't seem to be able to read.

djd

This is the point that many people in the thread have spectacularly missed so far.

If OP is correct in saying nothing was in the match report, then Ashley Young gets away with it if:

a) it isn't televised (like 99% of games)
b) The TV station don't try and paint a "picture" or narrative to increase hype/push agendas/run with public opinion - if instead of Young, it was a player or team who "wouldn't do that sort of thing", the broadcaster can easily use his own opinion to say that looking at the incident more than once isn't worth the time. The incident then doesn't get flagged up.

Both of which aren't leading to a fair implementation of the rules.
All Premier league games are televised and all are shown live on tv (though not in the uk).

Does anyone actually know how the FA chooses to look at incidents, do they just watch motd :-) or is there an actual system in place, such as teams reporting potential incidents?

Wilt

Gareth Barry stamping on De Gea's ankle ....feck all action taken

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I'm more pissed off they show immediate replays with no regard for the actual match taking place thereby missing large chunks of the game.
Yes. Or even better, showing people in the fecking stands while the game is going on. Very little that annoys me more!

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Weird thread... it’s no issue what so ever. Young was idiotic and has rightfully been banned.

Bojan11

I don’t know what forum Phil Neville and Dean Ashton used but I don’t remember it being focussed on during the game coverage or on MOTD. How else do you explain the fact he wasn’t cited?
It wasn’t a premier league game. It was Carling Cup, so it wouldn’t be on MOTD.

Phil Neville was the pundit for the game and called it a disgusting challenge.

Tapori

That does my head in.. they can show multiple replays of a chance that wasn't even dangerous or a 20sec shot of some player doing nothing at all on the bench when the ball is back in play. You can still hear the crowd though so sometimes they scream their heads off so you know something has happened but the producer always decides to show that "chance" from a 4th angle just to make sure that us viewers could see that the shot really went 8m wide of the goal.
It's getting worse every match. Especially knowing we've missed something when you hear the crowd,
Needs a social media campaign. A thread on here mentioned this very issue I think. "Show the match"
Plus with all this tech why can't i watch the match in silence or crowd only or from a different angle?

Dobba

The whole retrospective system is complete bollocks. The fact that Young can (rightly) be penalised because the cameras have an angle the ref didn't see, a player can be retrospectively done for diving if his team gained from it, yet they can't go back and review red card worthy incidents when there are better angles than the referee had when he only gave a yellow card is completely nonsensical.

RedChip

I'm more pissed off they show immediate rep for the actual match taking place thereby missing large chunks of the game.
This really ticks me off as well.

As for the OP, I don't think, to give them the benefit of the doubt, that they intend to get a player retrospectively punished; I think that to the broadcasters it is just a 'talking point', which they will show repeatedly for the sake of their programme.

Honestly, it is a good thing they highlighted it. Young was stupid to do it and deserves the ban. Also, if the boot was on the other foot, we would be fuming if an opposition player had elbowed Young and it wasn't highlighted by BT.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
The PL sells itself to TV companies. TV companies create conversations and debates where none exist in order to sell the product. Replays are a part of that.

Another part of that are vapid chat shows which fill time slots. MNF/Whatever that thing is BT do where 20 people sit on a couch and talk shite.

It's all parasitical recycled nonsense which markets itself as analysis. Analysis seems to be moving toward entertainment with BT's model. It's all crap and getting worse.

But the money's good.

4:28

Clough hits the nail on the head.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I'm more pissed off they show immediate replays with no regard for the actual match taking place thereby missing large chunks of the game.
My favourite was our game the other day where the commentator said 'a contested drop ball! That's something you don't see very often!' and then we didn't see it because they played a replay of the incident instead.. :lol:

Hughie77

I know it is frustrating but you still cannot go elbowing people. Young should have been smart. Cannot defend that.
This happens every game on park pitches with no cameras, the players know there there. Why do it, except the ban though 3 games is a bit much for I tickle in the tummy, hope the other player is ok, he wasn' t taken off on a stretcher with oxygen was he. Also Kyle Naughton for Swansea has had a 3 game ban as well for not much either these guys must have a good job on the panel..