Television Twin Peaks

Plan M

Anyone remember this classic from David Lynch?

Before there was 24, The Sopranos and the like, this was cult tv viewing! I love David Lynch stuff, fecking brilliant. I am starting Twin Peaks, series one again tonight.

It's worth watching just to see David Duchovny dressed as a woman! :lol:

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Second season was crap until Lynch returned.

Amir

It was brilliant. Truly scary stuff. Kind of lost its way after the initial story of Laura Palmer was solved, althought it was always very different to anything else on TV.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Easily the best show in the history of TV. I still watch it every 2 years or so and I keep discovering new things.

nemanja nemagic

Bump. Cannot believe I had not watched this show up until a couple of months ago.

Downloaded it and watched it within a few weeks, including all of the extras. Completely different to anything I've ever seen, and probably my favourite TV show. Actually went out and bought the entire boxset for my brother's birthday, the only other boxset I've ever bought is Blackadder.

What are the caf's opinions on Lynch's films, I'm keen to watch a few but haven't started yet, are there any particular ones people would recommend?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Bump. Cannot believe I had not watched this show up until a couple of months ago.

Downloaded it and watched it within a few weeks, including all of the extras. Completely different to anything I've ever seen, and probably my favourite TV show. Actually went out and bought the entire boxset for my brother's birthday, the only other boxset I've ever bought is Blackadder.

What are the caf's opinions on Lynch's films, I'm keen to watch a few but haven't started yet, are there any particular ones people would recommend?
Start with Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet.

nemanja nemagic

Cheers R.Nil, I'll get onto it right away. I did lie a bit, I have watched the film prequel to Twin Peaks. This may be because I am so enamoured currently with the TV series, but I don't think it deserved the critical rogering it received. Horses for courses I suppose

Kaos

Twin peaks is terrific stuff, the first 12 episodes are amongst the best TV I've seen.

I'd watch Lost Highway before Mulholland Drive btw.

Kaos

And those of you who loved TP and love their video games, I seriously recommend you try out 'Deadly Premonition'.

izzydiggler

I think it's awful. I appreciate the style of it - the music / direction is good but the story, acting and unnecessary weirdness totally undermines anything good about it.

I'm not 100% sure why I compare the 2 but I thought Carnivale was similar in a lot of ways but executed a lot better.

izzydiggler

And those of you who loved TP and love their video games, I seriously recommend you try out 'Deadly Premonition'.
I actually really enjoyed Deadly Premonition against all reason even though I think TP is awful....go figure.

And Alan Wake too.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I've heard so much about Twin Peaks and how much it influenced True Detective's (a largely mediocre show) atmosphere and style, now I finally have season 1. Should I go for it? The pilot episode is 90 minutes long. Is it worth my time? I'm quite open to all styles so Lynch's surrealist style is one I am willing to try. I've only ever seen The elephant man and it was a fairly straightforward movie.
It's excellent. Avoid all talk of Lynch though, just watch it for what it is.

I'm a fan of his, but I think people have a tendancy to really overdo it with the praise for what he does, so just take it in and see if you enjoy it. I think the town, and most importantly the characters and interesting interactions between them are the things I like most.

b82REZ

My ex got me into this.

I found it hilarious and thought it was meant to be a dark comedy.

I did enjoy it, just a shame they didn't make a third series to wrap everything up.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Watched it last year, loved it. It's incredibly dated, but in a good way, just makes the whole atmosphere of the town even more otherworldly and funny.

Some of the stories/characters are better than others (James...) but there's plenty to enjoy, especially if you like Lynch films. The films are better though.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Watched it last year, loved it. It's incredibly dated, but in a good way, just makes the whole atmosphere of the town even more otherworldly and funny.

Some of the stories/characters are better than others (James...) but there's plenty to enjoy, especially if you like Lynch films. The films are better though.
Some are. In my opinion of course.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Had never seen a David Lynch film before seeing this, but watched it when it first aired and loved it. To me though it should always have been done as a one season story or perhaps two short seasons and once Laura Palmer's killer was identified it really lost it's way. Went a long way to prove that within the American television audience there was a sizeable group that would watch smart TV shows that had a story to tell that was outside the "norm"

mu4c_20le

My ex got me into this.

I found it hilarious and thought it was meant to be a dark comedy.

I did enjoy it, just a shame they didn't make a third series to wrap everything up.
Pretty muc this... good watch to sit back and relax with a glass of wine or whatever poison fancies you, but i wouldn't watch it sober with full attention, too many WTF moments but thats Lynch for you.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Everything was unique in this one. Atmosphere created by some excellent camera shots in psychedelic scenes, Badalamenti's music depressing as feck but in the same time relaxing. John Carpenter's level of originality in his movies was one thing but David Lynch absolutely nailed it in Twin Peaks. Hard to top that.

In it's time even X-Files was paying a massive tribute to Twin Peaks in one of it's episodes where Mulder comes to investigate some weird town events and got himself hooked on cherry pie just like agent Cooper.

I'm not even sure if Lynch was aware during shooting the whole thing how much he's setting a bar for atmospheric TV productions. They just don't make these gems anymore.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Syfy are starting this from the beginning on Monday at 10 pm - I've never seen this before but I'm looking forward to it after hearing so much praise for a show that's close to 25 years old.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
A brilliant show. Season 1 is absolutely fantastic.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Your in for a treat, I would Sky + it and watch them at least twice each.
I have not seen it for a while , think I may watch it also.
Thanks for the tip; looking forward to seeing this at long last.

Get the gold boxset and watch with the log lady introductions. It doesn't help though :lol:
No idea what that means, but that can only be a good thing :lol: