Two Wins vs. Real Betis put United into the Europa League Quarter Finals | MUFC Podcast: United Hour

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nik(@Rood), Jamie(@Vault Dweller) and Ashwin(@AR87) discuss United's comfortable progress in the Europa League at the expense of Real Betis. They also discuss United's 0-0 draw against Southampton and bemoan the inconsistent use of VAR.

You guys have any questions for us?

Check out our Linktree for other listening links, social media, Patreon, podcast history etc https://linktr.ee/unitedhour

Hope you guys enjoyed the episode! Any questions or thoughts for next time?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Everything you said about VAR was correct.

The reason given for Casemiro getting a red was he was reckless and showed no regard for his opponent.

If you accept that logic, how can VAR consider a scissor tackle as not being reckless and disregarding the safety of your opponent? I cannot think of any way you can scissor tackle someone safely?

You are sliding in, at speed, clamping someone's leg between yours. Yet we've had a couple against us. No red cards. It's bizarre.

Should have been a red and a penalty. Then we would have won the Saints game.

Just feels like we are being punished, week after week, cos of Bruno's goal against City. So many terrible calls against us.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Everything you said about VAR was correct.

The reason given for Casemiro getting a red was he was reckless and showed no regard for his opponent.

If you accept that logic, how can VAR consider a scissor tackle as not being reckless and disregarding the safety of your opponent? I cannot think of any way you can scissor tackle someone safely?

You are sliding in, at speed, clamping someone's leg between yours. Yet we've had a couple against us. No red cards. It's bizarre.

Should have been a red and a penalty. Then we would have won the Saints game.

Just feels like we are being punished, week after week, cos of Bruno's goal against City. So many terrible calls against us.
The big problem as I mentioned is that they keep trying to clarify rules about what is deliberate handball or dangerous play - yet each time they do this they actually feck it up more. Mostly because these rules are not being set by players or managers.

At the moment it's been decided that showing your studs is the worst thing possible which is nonsense - clearly the guy Casemiro tackled got up and played on without much issue

Whereas we have Eriksen and Garnacho out for weeks/months for tackles that aren't deemed dangerous - total bollocks

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I always felt VAR was exciting in tournament play, the 2018 WC was exhilarating at times, ditto 2022. League seasons are a slog and VAR seems to add further mud rather than excitement like it can for tournaments.

Last edited:

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I guess our new manager has yet to experience the vast palate that English football has to offer and it's good our team is helping him experience it. Hopefully down the years, he'd decide what is worth the ride. We feel the FA Cup is not worth as much the EL but he's yet to experience it.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I guess our new manager has to experience the vast palate that English football has to offer and it's good our team is helping him experience it. Hopefully down the years, he'd decide what is worth the ride. We feel the FA Cup is not worth as much the EL but he's yet to experience it.
It's already pretty amazing to get this far in so many competitions - no one else has played anywhere near our number of matches

I was ambivalent about this game because I'm still worried about fixture overload.
Top 4 is by no means done - 3 PL matches without Casemiro coming up and our midfield was dire today.

scottser

Both League Cup and Europe league have way too many fixtures. It makes them really unattractive competitions to participate in; far too little reward for the amount of effort needed to compete.