Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Tyler Nathan Blackett
Apr 2, 1994 (22)
Manchester

1.91 m

Manchester-born defender Tyler Blackett has been with United since he was eight years old, rising right through the ranks at the club.

Van Gaal felt a loan move would aid Blackett's progression and the defender joined Celtic for a season-long spell in August 2015. However, first-team opportunities proved hard to come by with the Scottish Premiership champions and he made just four starts and the same number of substitute appearances under Ronny Deila's management. Blackett's last outing for the Bhoys was in the Scottish FA Cup win away to Stanraer in January 2016 when he came on for the last 13 minutes.

Loublaze

ATLien
Probably on his way out, but who knows? He has the physical attributes Mourinho likes in his defenders and even fullbacks.

khoazany

My concern is he will always look good on pre-season when there's not much pressure and his physical attributes look impressive but then when the season starts he turned back to his true shelf of no concentration and positional awareness.

Hopefully Mourinho only played him yesterday because Rojo is unavailable and CBJ is injured.

ti vu

He is like a left footed Bailly on ball. Looks alike too. Shame he is terrible though.

Rossa

All this talk about his athleticism, is he even that athletic? I've seen him outsprinted; he doesn't look to have a great leap, nor does he look to be amazingly powerful. Is it some black stereotype chucked at every black player not technically great? He's decent enough, but not much more. I see him as less powerful and slower than Smalling and Bailly, and probably even Jones, and I don't see what else he brings that others in our squad don't.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He won't make it in the championship, forget Manchester United. League one or lower.

Hopefully Mourinho only played him yesterday because Rojo is unavailable and CBJ is injured.
I read somewhere yesterday that he is back in training. Is that true? We need him back so that Jose can see that he is much better than Rojo and could be an able deputy to Shaw.

Mark Pawelek

Against Wigan (16 Jul), he came on at about 73:00. In his 18 minutes he was responsible for losing possession 3 times (at about 80:17, 82:30, 87:40), each time around about the half-way line. Too casual, even in a friendly.

Silas

Celtic fans tore him a new one last season. If he's not even good enough for them he should be on his way.

Red_Beans

There is no chance that we can develop both Blackett and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson in the same team imo. And I know which of the two I would prefer to keep

ti vu

Is there any reason for this? Or is it the usual "get rid" mentality that the caf is right into at the moment?
Should just read the below before wasting a post asking for obvious reason in case you didn't watch the game.
Against Wigan (16 Jul), he came on at about 73:00. In his 18 minutes he was responsible for losing possession 3 times (at about 80:17, 82:30, 87:40), each time around about the half-way line. Too casual, even in a friendly.

GazTheLegend

I wrote a harsh post damning Blacketts ability but - he's still a young guy and defenders don't really fulfill their potential until they are in their mid 20's and have enough experience to judge situations develop and the concentration level to focus for 90
Minutes. Blackett is incredibly raw but he's a decent player when the pressure off - if he learns to handle it he could be a good player, but I'm not entirely convinced.

JoaquinJoaquin

Is there any reason for this? Or is it the usual "get rid" mentality that the caf is right into at the moment?
I don't understand why some Caf members have started taking everything personally lately. If a player isn't good enough people have the right to state their opinions. Seems that if a player has came from the academy they can't be criticised in the eyes of some. Blackett ISN'T good enough anyone who has watched him in the last 18 months can tell you. One of my good friends is a Celtic ST holder and even he said that Blackett was shockingly bad for them, and that's in Scotland.

Perrick Dubois

Should just read the below before wasting a post asking for obvious reason in case you didn't watch the game.
I did watch the game. He was no different than any other time I've ever seen him. He looks raw and lacking in technical finesse. Which is fine in a player who is only 22 and wants to learn and grow. Obviously those parameters that exist as a coach develops a player, we are not privy to as fans. That is also fine.

Have you watched him? He wasnt even good enough to get into a poor Celtic team.
I have watched him. To be brutally honest, I couldn't really give a hoot how, why he did or didn't get into the Celtic team. If our gaffer see's anything in him that is worth holding on to or developing then I am fine with that. If he doesn't and gets rid of him then I am fine with that, I was merely asking why the need to use hyperbolic rhetoric in conjunction with the development of one of our players.

I don't understand why some Caf members have started taking everything personally lately. If a player isn't good enough people have the right to state their opinions. Seems that if a player has came from the academy they can't be criticised in the eyes of some. Blackett ISN'T good enough anyone who has watched him in the last 18 months can tell you. One of my good friends is a Celtic ST holder and even he said that Blackett was shockingly bad for them, and that's in Scotland.
It is not expressing an opinion at all. Saying "He's shite" and calling for people to be honest. I am being honest about it, I don't think he's shite. Alright he's not a top-top player in the making but I have certainly seen a enough of him even as a very young junior at United and I certainly don't think "he's shite".

We'll see what the gaffer does. There is no reason why he can't be utility deep-choice backup for fullback and at CB if we are willing to give him a chance under a new manager.

Mark Pawelek

I think he had his 18 minute chance last Saturday and blew it with those 3 bad passes, pointlessly losing possession in midfield. I think he'll go on another loan season. We don't need him as cover. We have Shaw, CBJ and Rojo/Blind. Mou surely won't sell both Rojo/Blind in the same transfer window. New arrival Eric Bailly is the same age as Tyler. To my eyes young defenders: Joe Riley, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Guillermo Varela, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Axel Tuanzebe, Regan Poole, Ro-Shaun Williams are all more reliable passers (as is Eric B).

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I did watch the game. He was no different than any other time I've ever seen him. He looks raw and lacking in technical finesse. Which is fine in a player who is only 22 and wants to learn and grow. Obviously those parameters that exist as a coach develops a player, we are not privy to as fans. That is also fine.

I have watched him. To be brutally honest, I couldn't really give a hoot how, why he did or didn't get into the Celtic team. If our gaffer see's anything in him that is worth holding on to or developing then I am fine with that. If he doesn't and gets rid of him then I am fine with that, I was merely asking why the need to use hyperbolic rhetoric in conjunction with the development of one of our players.

It is not expressing an opinion at all. Saying "He's shite" and calling for people to be honest. I am being honest about it, I don't think he's shite. Alright he's not a top-top player in the making but I have certainly seen a enough of him even as a very young junior at United and I certainly don't think "he's shite".

We'll see what the gaffer does. There is no reason why he can't be utility deep-choice backup for fullback and at CB if we are willing to give him a chance under a new manager.
Because he's shown for a longer period of time that he isnt good enough for Man United, even in the reserves he got caught out on frequent basis, and he's never actually been a highly rated player in the academy, it's quite logical that some want to get rid of him.

ti vu

While I respect your opinion as different people see thing differently, I have to say I see Blackett as very bad player. Fryer who disappeared since his 'dick' move to Spurs was superior left back to Blackett, and left some good memories. Blackett's all loan spells yielded same result: he is shockingly bad. He may look fine athletic and shows good technique, but his application is all over the place. He reminds me of Boumsong, who looks deceptively possesses good attribute and may "only need to train a bit" to make a good player. The thing is deep inside, there is no footballer in this type of player. Someone who looks limited like Michael Keane may forge a better career as he grows like Shawcross did.

Edit: just realize, the tour squad exclude Blackett, which IMO is understandable as he was terrible in that few minutes he had verse Wigan (as the other poster pointed out) on the back of several bad seasons.

Last edited:

ZAGREB RED

A player who looked absolutely dire playing for Celtic - often not even making the bench and being subbed after going on as a sub in a European game - is clearly not good enough for Man United's reserves, never mind first team. Any time I have seen him - playing for Celtic or United - I don't even see any potential that could be worked on.
Like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Bwuk

He's nowhere near good enough, can't believe this is even up for debate.

He was poor here, and at Celtic he was beyond woeful. Efe Ambrose was viewed as better than him!

DanClancy

I'm amazed he managed to get into double figures with appearance for United. He's probably the worst player I can remember making that many appearances in the last 20 years by a long distance. He'll do well to survive in the championship unless he improves dramatically, I can see him dropping down divisions very quickly.

WhoDaGOAT

Hopefully this is the making of him and he returns to The Premier League one day like Chester did.

Sylar

Good luck to him, hope he has a good career there.

C'est Moi Cantona

Wonder what we got for him, £1 m maybe.

It's nice to see us been efficient at selling/loaning the young fringe players, shame the same can't be said for the senior squad players.

Status
Not open for further replies.