Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

He may be more talented than Malacia overall but I would take Malacia’s energy, desire, determination every single day of the week without any doubt.

The problem when a player is out of the team is it’s easy to ponder on the positives he could bring to the team rather than the negatives he brings.

We’ve been talking about Shaw’s “talent” for nearly 10 years. Malacia more than deserves a chance to earn a regular spot. A battering by Man City doesn’t change that.
I'm not saying Shaw should get back on the team while offering the same as he did over the last year.

We'll see anyway, I'm expecting him to get the spot back soon.

Chief123

I'm not saying Shaw should get back on the team while offering the same as he did over the last year.

We'll see anyway, I'm expecting him to get the spot back soon.
The only reason I believe ETH took Malacia off was because both full backs were on a yellow card. We had shaw as a replacement but no decent option at RB. Malacia wasn’t any worse than any of our mids and forwards.

Anyway I think both will get starts with the fixtures coming up.

Fabio Rochemback

I wouldn't be looking to bring Shaw back in just yet, but another poor performance in the next few games and I would. It isn't just today, he got terrorised by Saka in our last league game.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Some of the overreactions... It's his 7th PL game (coming from a crap league). He's still relatively young. We paid 15 million. Temper your expectations.
We needed a Telles improvement (someone that knows how to mark a player) and actual competition for Shaw that can stay fit and we got exactly that.

I wouldn't be looking to bring Shaw back in just yet, but another poor performance in the next few games and I would. It isn't just today, he got terrorised by Saka in our last league game.
I agree. If Shaw takes his opportunity in a rotational game, that's fine as well.

RedOrange

Feck me the tone in this thread has shifted quickly. Everyone was laughing at me for trying to temper expectations around him and doubt whether he was ready for the PL.

I didnt catch the first half tlday, but I guess he was cack then?
No not really. Most people just assume bad result = all players were bad so that's what you're reading. No kidding he doesn't offer much going forward when City had the ball for 70% of the first half. He looks fine going forward when we're not playing teams that will absolutely murder us if we don't keep 4 defenders back at all times.

He missed a pass early that went out for a City throw, then later picked up a yellow having to do a professional foul on Foden because Rashford made an awful back pass to nobody (or was someone else supposed to be there? IDK, but it wasn't Malacia's fault). Other than that it wasn't a particularly noteworthy performance either way. Good work rate, well positioned, good in the buildup, but wasn't flawless against some of the best attacking players on earth.

4evareddevil

This guy needs to be stronger. I know he is young but the way Foden overpowered him to score from Haaland cross at the far post was just not acceptable. You cannot be weak at this level

slored1

He was the best of our four (five) defenders in the first half I thought.

Red-17

One should start the Europa league and the other the next PL game, and whoever performs better should be prioritized for the league. both are good enough to get minutes, but right now, Shaw at his best (far from a guarantee) is definitely the superior option especially going forward.

Lecland07

No not really. Most people just assume bad result = all players were bad so that's what you're reading. No kidding he doesn't offer much going forward when City had the ball for 70% of the first half. He looks fine going forward when we're not playing teams that will absolutely murder us if we don't keep 4 defenders back at all times.

He missed a pass early that went out for a City throw, then later picked up a yellow having to do a professional foul on Foden because Rashford made an awful back pass to nobody (or was someone else supposed to be there? IDK, but it wasn't Malacia's fault). Other than that it wasn't a particularly noteworthy performance either way. Good work rate, well positioned, good in the buildup, but wasn't flawless against some of the best attacking players on earth.
He was also to weak against Foden for the goal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
One should start the Europa league and the other the next PL game, and whoever performs better should be prioritized for the league. both are good enough to get minutes, but right now, Shaw at his best (far from a guarantee) is definitely the superior option especially going forward.
Hardly equal level opposition for a tryout to be fair.

Ekeke

Hopefully just a blip, usually his commitment and attitude arent in question but that Foden goal at the back post wasnt good enough in those regards. Its something thats happened to Shaw before as well, so Malacia looked like he might be an upgrade in that area. So watch this space and hopefully its a one off

Fabio Rochemback

Some of the overreactions... It's his 7th PL game (coming from a crap league). He's still relatively young. We paid 15 million. Temper your expectations.
Yeah I agree with this too. Ignoring the Arsenal and City games, he looked a capable and solid player, without screaming "nailed on full back for the next x years". Which is fine, if he just turns out to be a solid squad option then he's a good signing.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We needed a Telles improvement (someone that knows how to mark a player) and actual competition for Shaw that can stay fit and we got exactly that.

I agree. If Shaw takes his opportunity in a rotational game, that's fine as well.
It's mostly just Shaw fans who want him to fail for some reason.

Dominant

I don’t know what games some of you were watching but he’s horrible in the last 2 games. Against arsenal & city, Saka & Foden has him totally chasing shadows, poor guy couldn’t even get close enough to tackle either of them. Literally chasing shadows all game.

Zero attacking threats at all. Nothing.

He don’t have any physical attributes either, no height, legs too short to attempt any kind of sliding tackles, no pace, no acceleration, etc. only positive thing is he’s agile & dynamic on the ball so far.

So many posters here are overrating this average player because of the hate for Shaw. If any of you can be objective, don’t look at past history and pick between Shaw and Malacia solely based on footballing ability, it’s Shaw every time.

Totally a squad player, like quinton fortune perhaps.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don’t know what games some of you were watching but he’s horrible in the last 2 games. Against arsenal & city, Saka & Foden has him totally chasing shadows, poor guy couldn’t even get close enough to tackle either of them. Literally chasing shadows all game.

He don’t have any physical attributes either, no height, legs too short to attempt any kind of sliding tackles, no pace, no acceleration, etc. only positive thing is he’s agile & dynamic on the ball so far.

So many posters here are overrating this average player because of the hate for Shaw. If any of you can be objective, don’t look at past history and pick between Shaw and Malacia solely based on footballing ability, it’s Shaw every time.

No one overrating him. He’s had a good season so far. Even more so for a 23 year old joining a new league. He was picked up for less than £15m and for depth. He’s been better than Telles and forced Shaw out of the side.

Perhaps it’s you and your own expectations that are wrong to be honest.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

:lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Honeymoon period is over.

We were giddy because he's a bundle of chaotic energy in a notoriously lazy team but he isn't a good footballer.

mu4c_20le

Looked like a child today. Really bizarre decision to shield the ball there with three players charging at him.

flappyjay

Got hooked at half time against City, had no business starting the very next game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Meh, after the first few games I hoped my doubts were unfounded. But they're not. He's not ready for this level.

United's level that is, I'm sure he can handle the likes of Omonia something.

DarkXaero

While he was at fault for the goal, I put most of the blame for that on Sancho for his idiotic decision to play the pass back there. But even aside from the conceded goal, Malacia was struggling a lot. He was given a lot of space in the final third tonight and he struggled to do anything with it. The little defending he had to do in that half, he struggled with that as well. I'm not sure if Malacia should lose his starting place yet but he has struggled a lot in his last two appearances, and Shaw has looked better.

Ekeke

Quickly went from a hot start to a poor period

When he first came one of the best things about him was his confidence to keep the ball when pressed. He'd find a pass or dribble his way out well, as with Lisandro.

Today he had a poor touch and lost the ball in that sort of situation. Sancho didnt do him any favours of course.

Dominant

No one overrating him. He’s had a good season so far. Even more so for a 23 year old joining a new league. He was picked up for less than £15m and for depth. He’s been better than Telles and forced Shaw out of the side.

Perhaps it’s you and your own expectations that are wrong to be honest.
Lots of people here are overrating him.

why is my expectations wrong when I said exactly what you did? He’s a squad player and nothing else.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wasn't good.

But then he's already had a more prominent role in the team so far than I expected him to. No issue if he can't sustain that and needs a stint on the bench.

Can only expect so much from that profile of signing, especially in their first season.

HookedOnAPhelan

So disappointed in him in the last few games, but still hopeful. He's clearly very talented. Might just need some time.

Someone

Something
He's still young, and expecting him to be consistent in his first season was a bit much. Shaw should be starting for now but I'm sure in time he'll get his spot again.

Status
Not open for further replies.