Tyrell Malacia | Romano: Here we go…

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesperjaap

Signing a back up in any position when we have holes in the first XI is a waste of money. Squad players should rarely every be signed in any case, the trick is to buy starters, and the players they replace will become squad players.
Completely agree and left back isnt the biggest priority....however. Williams is merely a squad player, Telles defensively has been absolutely diabolical the last few months and isnt up to the task.

So we are only left with Luke Shaw. I have always been dissapointed with his postioning, that the one major weakness in his game in my opinion. But ability he isnt world class but he is a quality full back. The thing is can we rely on Shaw for us over a season? He has been here fo reight seasons now, partly spoilt by a makor injury, partly by seeing to be bullied pretty much by Mourinho....but all the same, eight seasons and he had one good spell for a coupel of months before the injury and a good season last year.

Whether its attitude, fitness, injury problems he seem to blow very hot and cold. I had never heard of Malacia, seems to be loved by his clubs fans and highl rated, also by Ten Hag....so was Dalot though and he is garbage, so I dont know if this players is the answer, but amongst a myriad of problems in our side, genuine competition for Shaw and the possibilit of replacing him (he does have just next season on his contract after a;;), for a good price (£20m is more than we should pay though) isnt a bad thing.

I think our whole back four needs erbuilding, none of the back four have been good enough this year 2/3 of them are not good enough full stop

Fey

Being a fan of both clubs I would love this deal to happen. Reminds me so much of Evra in his days at Monaco.

Also, the tackle he made the other day against Marseille (I cant post the link sadly) in his own box with a yellow card in his pocket. The composure, how many 22-year olds would tackle like that in a European semi-final with a few minutes to spare? The guy is cold as ice.

Red-17

Because it’s about the allocation of funds. I’m assuming we don’t have an unlimited budget strengthening the starting XI should be the priority.
The fullback position is absolutely vital in terms of ball progression in modern football. The press is almost always initiated with the pass out to a fullback, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we struggle mightily in that area. Shaw is actually quite good at it, but Telles is average at best and our right side is even worse IMO. Shaw is almost guaranteed to miss 1/4 of the games so if there’s a position we need a quality backup/potential future starter it is there.
This is all assuming we get him for ~15m and can offload Telles.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Does he hold the line well? Or is he like Wan Bissaka, where's he's a great one v one defender, but not so much as a unit.
He's good defensively in all aspects, not just one on one. Well, apart from being a midget.

His delivery is Wan Bissaka esque though.

RkkMan

Feyenoord fans on Twitter rate him highly and think he's physically ready to play in the PL.
Also seen several suggestions he's a bigger LB talent than Wijndal.
Apparently a good 1v1 fullback and very good at defending but not as good going forward even though he's a good at ball progression.
I'll assume Ten Hag feels he can improve the attacking side of his game. We've seen LBs like Evra, Robertson and Zinchenko turn from average players to top LBs so I'll trust our manager's opinion on this one

Kaos

Feyenoord fans on Twitter rate him highly and think he's physically ready to play in the PL.
Apparently a good 1v1 fullback and very good at defending but not as good going forward even though he's a good at ball progression.
I'll assume Ten Hag feels he can improve the attacking side of his game. We've seen LBs like Evra, Robertson and Zinchenko turn from average players to top LBs so I'll trust our manager's opinion on this one
This makes me nervous based on how eerily familiar that sounds.

RkkMan

This makes me nervous based on how eerily familiar that sounds.
Wan Bissaka would have been a decent signing for £15-20m rather than £50m TBF which is how much this Dutch lad would cost.
And if indeed Ten Hag wants to sell AWB then he must see something in Malacia that makes him confident he'll be a better version of the RB

edcunited1878

Zinchenko is not a top LB. Joao Cancelo is a top LB and RB. Denis Irwin was a top LB. Don't include Zinchenko. Evra, Cole.

There aren't too many top LBs, but good to very good. Chilwell is a good player.

If this player can provide the supporting runs going forward and still be responsible and disciplined defensively, consider him. Ralf always talks about the physicality needed, and he's not wrong. Fullback is a demanding position going both ways for entire matches. Need to engage defensively in open space or 1v1.

If this player can provide Sancho with good runs as a decoy or option with consistency, it'll help unlock Sancho's potential

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's good defensively in all aspects, not just one on one. Well, apart from being a midget.

His delivery is Wan Bissaka esque though.
I don't mind that. We need him in positions where it isn't about an excellent delivery, it's about a simple cutback or pick out from the byline.

Great about the defending well in all aspects.

C'est Moi Cantona

He might be really good this player, but I'd be worried if we started buying too many Eredivisie players.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Telles is definitely a goner, then.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I would love this, but naaaaah, don't think he is ready for this. Fantastic dude and extremely tenacious defender though. He tends to hold on to the ball a bit long though and doesnt have the best decision making offensively. He works extremely hard though and is a nightmare to play. Just ask Antony.

Last edited:

pascell

Shame we couldn't have got ten Hag over the line back in January. We'd have had a better shot at Mazraoui as we've apparently gone in for him but fear he's chosen Bayern already.

This guy and Mazraoui for a combined fee of £20m, then selling AWB and Telles for £30m would've been good business and that's why it's not happening.

Infra-red

Shame we couldn't have got ten Hag over the line back in January. We'd have had a better shot at Mazraoui as we've apparently gone in for him but fear he's chosen Bayern already.

This guy and Mazraoui for a combined fee of £20m, then selling AWB and Telles for £30m would've been good business and that's why it's not happening.
Fairly doubtful that he would have picked United over Bayern, anyway. We do need a RB, though.

pascell

Fairly doubtful that he would have picked United over Bayern, anyway. We do need a RB, though.
True but it wouldve given us a much fairer chance than coming in on the 11th hour.

I mean, playing at OT, guaranteed starter, playing in the PL, good wage rise, would've given us a solid chance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
These are the sort of buys that traditionally worked out really well for us.

I've already decided he's the next Evra.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
I'm a Feyenoord fan and been watching him weekly, would love it if United signed him. He plays with aggression and is very very solid in defence. Offensively he's a tidy player as well. Good pace, great stamina and most of all a great mentality. Works his ass off every single game.

If he wants to become world class, he needs to improve his crossing, but he's solid in possesion and United need players with his mentality on the pitch.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
My knowledge about ETH is limited but as far what I know about ETH system, you don’t see him playing full back to provide width or fullbacks with world class crossing ability. It looks to me that ETH set up his full back as inverted full back. Primary for ball progression. If he’s good at that then his poor crossing and end product is not a problem. Telles and Bissaka are very poor in ball progression imo.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Because it’s about the allocation of funds. I’m assuming we don’t have an unlimited budget strengthening the starting XI should be the priority.
Yes but the budget isn't impacted if we sell Telles and sign this guy for likely a similar amount.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Looks quick, aggressive, and link up well with attack.

Full back has always been our problematic area. I don't trust any of Shaw/Telles/AWB/Dalot this season really. I am all for it, as long as we have enough budget to buy our other targets

- DM/CM (60m?)
- RW/FW (60m?)
- CB (40m?)
- RB (?)
- LB (<20m)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sounds like he's got good technical and athletic ability which would be a refreshing change from Telles. ETH will know this player very well given he's come up against him so often.

Also given his delivery is not great but he's good on the ball we could use him as an inside fullback with Sancho providing width?

Dan-Utd

I would rather we went for Harry Toffolo from Huddersfield, he's good going forward, has an eye for goal, he could learn a lot from Luke Shaw and that would be us covered over that side of the pitch.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
You'd expect Ten Hag to have his pick of the best young talents from the Dutch league. He's obviously watched Malacia a lot. United haven't had a manager for a while that has shopped in the market for players of that age and price range, that can be coached and improved. It's been big names and big prices. Recruitment had to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.