Tyrell Malacia | Romano: Here we go…

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_cliff

He has been injury riddled for so many years and everyone shits on him non stop for 4 seasons.

2020/21 he was perhaps out top performers. I’m assuming you haven’t watched a single game plain and simple. Nobody is saying he has that spot nailed down. We’re saying you’re trying to ignore one of the best seasons a lb had for us in years.
So since 2014 Luke Shaw has had one good season. It wasn't amazing it was just good if you consider his performances that season as amazing it's you who hasn't watched players like Evra, Ashley Cole etc.

If you think that's good enough for us to get back to where we should be you need help. This is one of the reasons we're here in this position too much patience with too many mediocre players. Carry on giving Shaw chances, I'm sure he'll have another decent season in the next 6 since that's his average.

Suv666

Really weird how the public opinion of Shaw is so low amongst United fans. He's had issues with fitness, but when he is able to play consistently he is a fantastic LB. I'm pleased with this signing because he needs better competition than Telles, but I also really hope that Shaw is at his best this season because he's a huge asset for the team.
He's been here for almost a decade and has had one good season. You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out chief.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So since 2014 Luke Shaw has had one good season. It wasn't amazing it was just good if you consider his performances that season as amazing it's you who hasn't watched players like Evra, Ashley Cole etc.

If you think that's good enough for us to get back to where we should be you need help. This is one of the reasons we're here in this position too much patience with too many mediocre players. Carry on giving Shaw chances, I'm sure he'll have another decent season in the next 6 since that's his average.
Shaw was more important to this side than you realise.

There is no coincidence that our attacking play completely fell on its arse when Shaw didn't play.

He is vital to our defence to progress the ball, all the passing maps showed everything went through him. He could get the ball under pressure, carry it out and drive through the space to open up room for the attackers.

Last year was a bad year for him that's fair to say, but there's a reason he was called Shawberto Carlos the year before.

Getting a proper rotation/understudy for him though is the right move.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
And this is the problem, his consistency is too far and few between, if it’s not injuries it’s poor form it’s always something with him.
It's been injuries a lot more than poor form. As I said I believe we need good competition for him because of that, but my comment was mainly around the unwarranted criticism, bordering on dislike, that he receives on this forum.

Theo88

My brother in Christ i am not advocating for a starter Shaw. I want MalaKKia in. But saying that i also dont discount his performance last year. That’s all. I get you are frustrated with him i am too but last year it looked like finally he was putting it together. Moot point really. It’s Malakkia time

the_cliff

Shaw was more important to this side than you realise.

There is no coincidence that our attacking play completely fell on its arse when Shaw didn't play.

He is vital to our defence to progress the ball, all the passing maps showed everything went through him. He could get the ball under pressure, carry it out and drive through the space to open up room for the attackers.

Last year was a bad year for him that's fair to say, but there's a reason he was called Shawberto Carlos the year before.

Getting a proper rotation/understudy for him though is the right move.
I disagree, his defensive contribution in a back 4 is horrible, constantly out of position and constantly jumping in on technical wingers, he gets destroyed in 1 on 1 scenarios against players like Mahrez, Son, Salah etc...

He was called Shawberto Carlos because of his performances in the Euros and it's no coincidence that his best performances for us were also in a back 3.

If we want to play a back 4 Luke Shaw is not a good enough left back. Left wing back is a different debate but there's no coincidence that in our most successful seasons post Fergie he was nowhere near the starting 11.

Anthony Martial has had more good seasons for us than Luke Shaw yet everyone has lost patience with him, why is Luke Shaw defended so much ?

Remember the geese

I disagree, his defensive contribution in a back 4 is horrible, constantly out of position and constantly jumping in on technical wingers, he gets destroyed in 1 on 1 scenarios against players like Mahrez, Son, Salah etc...

He was called Shawberto Carlos because of his performances in the Euros and it's no coincidence that his best performances for us were also in a back 3.

If we want to play a back 4 Luke Shaw is not a good enough left back. Left wing back is a different debate but there's no coincidence that in our most successful seasons post Fergie he was nowhere near the starting 11.
Shaw was brilliant for us in a back 4 in 20/21. No debate.

Idxomer

He had one great season in 21/22, got into the PFA Team of the year and two good ones in 18/90 and 19/20. He missed a full season in 15/16 after starting in great form because of a leg break. He wasn't a regular under Mourinho after coming from his injury and struggling to get back fully fit, Jose also preferred Ashley Young to him.

When he has been a regular starter for us, he also had one bad season which was the last one. Shaw will remain a starter if he's fit.

redcucumber

Anthony Martial has had more good seasons for us than Luke Shaw yet everyone has lost patience with him, why is Luke Shaw defended so much ?
You're memory is failing you, I'm afraid to say. During the 2020/21 season, Shaw was performing to a higher level than the likes of Andy Robertson and was one of the best left backs in football. All came crashing down last season, but he undoubtedly had a stellar period in the not so distant past.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Shaw was brilliant for us in a back 4 in 20/21. No debate.
Agreed. @thecliff has a short memory, but that's understandable as we've had a whole season since then.

Nobody will argue he wasn't at his best last season, but concussions + injury saw to that.

Anyway, we've got the dutch Roberto Carlos now :drool:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Same VI guy that broke the story is now reporting Malacia is close to reaching a deal.
Says they're just discussing a few details :drool:

He was quick to reach personal terms with Lyon (and Brugge last season) as well.
I can see this being wrapped up today.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Wonder who will be first choice between him and Shaw?
Whoever has better form will be the first choice. There is no "default" first choice. Everyone should fight for their spots all the time, as Manchester United players should be.

As long as I'm here, complacency shall never go unaddressed.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Yeah short memories, he was mint that season and arguably the player the tournament at the Euros with a certain slabhead not far behind.
This is what makes me feel ok about Shaw and Maguire. The level they reached a couple of seasons ago is the level they need to get back to. If they can both get back to that level which I feel is highly likely with some coaching, then they will be just fine. Love the fact that we’re about to sign a left back. Telles isn’t good enough.

Bobski

Could be a canny signing.

One issue with our full backs is a lack of intensity, can't make the constant runs that the position demands now. A fit and motivated Shaw is very talented, best first touch in the squad, carries the ball superbly well, strong, but he can't make the number of high intensity runs you would like. Telles is just a bit pedestrian with a nice left foot. On the other side I always felt AWB was maybe a bit too bulky for full back, beyond his other issues.

Need to up the physical intensity team wide, it has been a huge issue in the last couple of years.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
ETH even wanted to sign Tyrell at rival Ajax. But Malacia admitted he is a Feyenoord fan ever since he was a kid and would never move to Ajax. He was born an raised in Rotterdam an joined the youth academy when he was 9 years old.

Thanks!

Oh yes! Pressure doesn't seem to bother him at all.

In 2017 our first choice left back got injured 1 or 2 days before the Champions League game against Napoli and that's when Malacia heard he was making his debut in the starting line-up.
Lorenzo Insigne had a really hard time getting past him, I think Malacia even got MOTM for that game. We fell immediately in love with this smiling Pitbull (We call him Pitbull sometimes, because he 'grabs' you and doesn't let go until he get what he wants)

As a newbie I've only got 3 posts. So this was my last one today. :(
Don't worry, keep it up and you'd be promoted in no time.
you sure make us hyped about the him,Hope he makes it here, looks like a genuinely nice kid.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think the Dutchies get a free pass as long as ETH is the manager. We will need their insights for potential players, clubs and ETH.

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
Ten Hag wants a whole squad of Dutch Players or what ?

This will be another Buttner.
Don't get me wrong. He's very talented. I just don't see him succeed at United.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Buttner never has any cap for Netherland throughout his whole career. Malacia has already been cap 5 times and he is only 22, and he is clearly far better young talent. Also, apparently ETH admires him, so lets have a little faith in our new manager.

justsomebloke

Short memories. Luke Shaw has 15 career assists for us.
He's had some good games but the shite ones far outweigh the good ones. I think it's you guys who are being nostalgic.

Since he's been here we've won 2 trophies, both trophies came when he had no part to play in them...

Luke Shaw is one of the most overrated and loved players in the caf.

I'm calling it, Malacia will play more games for us this season than Luke Shaw.
Gee, you're one to talk about short memories. He hasn't had "some good games". He was arguably the best left back in the PL in 20/21, and also in the Euro tournament that summer. Which is not a long time ago. Maybe he can get back to that form, maybe he can't. But in any case, you're coming across as fairly ignorant when you keep talking as if he's had a handful of good games and it required a leap of imagination to think he could be a key player on this United team. He was exactly that, for a whole season, and not long ago.

BarstoolProphet

Rensch (Ajax). But I'm not sure if he'll end up at RB. He plays DM for Holland u21 and was originally a CB. Stylistically similar to Mazraoui, but he has a calmness in his decision making in front of goal and in the final 3rd that I've rarely seen in a defensive minded player and he's two footed.
Geertruida (Feyenoord) has some potential, but he's more of a CB.
I'm dont really rate Teze (PSV), but Van Gaal was impressed enough to give him game time as a RCB.

So pretty much only Rensch. He has the potential to become a top player if everything goes right. I don't think the others I mentioned have Man United as their ceiling as a RB, at least.

Must've included the addons in the total fee. Romano says 15 mil euros + 2 mil in addons.
How is Holmgren Pedersen being viewed by Dutch fans? Been absolutely fantastic for Norway and together with Haaland the two standout players for the NT the past two (?) years.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

If he is very talented why can't he succeed here?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
How is Holmgren Pedersen being viewed by Dutch fans? Been absolutely fantastic for Norway and together with Haaland the two standout players for the NT the past two (?) years.
Pedersen had a really good string of games in the first half of the season, followed by a dip in the 2nd half that saw him benched (Geertruida). He has potential, and is good going forward but his play in his own half (build up and defending) is lacking.

I think his ceiling is under United's level.

Blood Mage

He won't be first choice while Shaw is fit so I hope people aren't expecting too much from this lad straight away.

glasgow 21

[Q
S
So you're basically saying he's gonna be first choice.
correct, Shaw has ability but unfortunately through temperament or physique his body will last half a season if were lucky. The other point is shaw appears to be better in a team set up to defend as is the case with Southgate's england where his errors and decision making is less exposed. I am also from a camp where international form is irrelevant in my decision making process on a player.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen

It's such a Dutch thing to immediately be all negative as soon as a player makes a jump straight to a big foreign club without a stepping stone of sorts. He's going to be a back-up, he knows his role and he stood his ground in all of his national team games except for his debut. He developed very well at Feyenoord. He's a fine player and nobody expects him to be prime Jordi Alba right off the bat. The comparison to Buttner is so lazy. They have nothing in common football wise other than being left backs that play(ed) for United. Malacia is already better at this stage of his career than Buttner ever was.

As of right now he's younger, probably cheaper in wage and arguably a better player than Telles. Getting a solid back-up option with upside for €15m is never a bad deal.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

rbnZz

I don't understand why you compare Malacia with Buttner. Buttner was a hype while Malacia will be the future leftback of the Dutch squad. Buttner never played for the Dutch squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.