Tyrell Malacia | Romano: Here we go…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This sounds remarkably like AWB when you bought him. Apart from the price does he show more attacking potential?

I really think the key to getting the best out of Rashford and Sancho is strong attacking fullbacks behind them. It’s no coincidence that some of Rashford’s best form coincided with Shaws.
Malacia is a of a higher technical level than AWB imo and he was playing under a head coach (Arne Slot) who expects his fullbacks to push up and support the forwards. I feel there's still improvements to come from him and he'll possibly take time to settle into new surroundings. But he has the speed, stamina and intensity ingrained into him, which will help him and potentially help Erik ten Hag implement a high intensity game style.

dasty

I mean, it's not like the club hasn't made those sort of signings. There have been a bunch of defenders signed relatively cheaply as a bit of a gamble.

Rojo - £16m
Blind - £14m
Darmian - £13m
Varela - £2.5m
Dalot - £19m
Telles - £13m

None of them were/are even close to good enough. That's doesn't mean it isn't still worth taking a punt for that of money, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.
So what is your point? That we should pay more for players just for the sake of it?

If you want to succeed you need to take risks and look forward to the future instead of dwelling in past failures.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Antony does look like the kind of player who'll get labelled as a diver and wont get freekicks even when he is fouled..
Also.. wtf was the ending. Antony got hurt.. he came back onto the pitch and Tadic threw him down (to waste time?) and poor guy gets sent off..
:lol: That's exactly what happened.

He got hurt outside of the pitch then rolled back into IIRC. Classico shithousing at it's finest.

Kostov

I mean, it's not like the club hasn't made those sort of signings. There have been a bunch of defenders signed relatively cheaply as a bit of a gamble.

Rojo - £16m
Blind - £14m
Darmian - £13m
Varela - £2.5m
Dalot - £19m
Telles - £13m

None of them were/are even close to good enough. That's doesn't mean it isn't still worth taking a punt for that of money, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.
That's one appalling list, but Blind does not belong there, a great servant that I wished he remained here, as he was always useful.

AndySmith1990

Rojo - £16m
Blind - £14m
Darmian - £13m
Varela - £2.5m
Dalot - £19m
Telles - £13m

What I take from it is that we need a new scouting team, not that we should stop signing promising young players for low fees

Jacob

This is even a better showing of what Malacia is capable of against a skillful player like Antony. He's going to be awesome at LB for us :)
He honestly doesn't come across well in this video. Reckless and a foul machine.

Elcabron

The only reason we made such a profit on Dan James was because Leeds make very questionable transfer decisions, like Firpo. We were incredibly lucky we found a stupid buyer.

Ma la
See ya
You mean like us and Maguire? Or Chelsea and Lukaku/Werner? Or Barca and Couthino/Griezman/Dembele. Or spurs and Ndombele. Etc etc

But yes what fools Leeds and their stupidity paying 26m for a full international, 23 years of age (clearly no time left to improve at that age) with champions league experience who was part of a squad that had just finished second in the PL. Total stupidity. :rolleyes:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You mean like us and Maguire? Or Chelsea and Lukaku/Werner? Or Barca and Couthino/Griezman/Dembele. Or spurs and Ndombele. Etc etc

But yes what fools Leeds and their stupidity paying 26m for a full international, 23 years of age (clearly no time left to improve at that age) with champions league experience who was part of a squad that had just finished second in the PL. Total stupidity. :rolleyes:
Yes, like us and Maguire.

Welsh international. The second place finish lacks context, but that is irrelevant given James was a bit part player. He only started a string of games in January when Voldemort was having a terrible first half of the season (scored maybe 2 goals over 5 months?). He did feck all during his time here and barely contributed, so much so, he mostly received praise for "tracking back" (unlike Rashford). He's the Welsh Dirk Kuyt.

Elcabron

Yes, like us and Maguire.

Welsh international. The second place finish lacks context, but that is irrelevant given James was a bit part player. He only started a string of games in January when Voldemort was having a terrible first half of the season (scored maybe 2 goals over 5 months?). He did feck all during his time here and barely contributed, so much so, he mostly received praise for "tracking back" (unlike Rashford). He's the Welsh Dirk Kuyt.
I'll take that any day.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Malacia is not your typical full back. Yes he has the physical attributes of a modern full back, but he actually good on the ball, likes to play from static position and he tends to move inside. He’d certainly improve our distribution from the back and add defensive qualities to our defence. Will need time to adjust to the EPL I would guess.

Bondi77

So it seems Shaw is expected to sit a lot of time on the bench?
[/QUOTE]
Not if he is injury free.
I would like to see Luke play LCB more and that would get Malacia in the team as well.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I hope he replaces Shaw immediately and I think he will.. both Mourinho, Rangnick and now Erik Ten Hag didn't like Shaw and I imagine it's his lazy attitude plus he's the most sellable left-back because of English Tax plus his contract ends soon.. No way Erik Ten Hag signing a backup to Shaw as a priority in the first transfer window when there's so many areas of the team that are more important. And no way a Dutch International in a World Cup year is joining United instead of Ajax without knowing he's going to start regularly. He's Evra 2.0 and needs to be given his head. An absolute bargain.

I'm sick of the "English clique" of Shaw, Maguire and Rashford. Overrated pile of rubbish who are so lazy and part of the reason the dressing room morale is on the floor as they have too much power just because they are English when they shouldn't even be at the club anymore after last season no second or third chances they'll constantly stab a new manager in the back you can't rely on them as a new manager (like Roy Keane said). Erik Ten Hag will NOT pander to them like Ole did. Just look at the comments on this forum.. some fans are still trying to protect them.. bizarre! They are massive FLOPS!

Centre-Back next to replace Maguire and then Anthony to replace Rashford. Go on Erik!
I don’t think a player’s nationality contributes to a lazy attitude. And you can’t just boot out all the English players there is a ‘home’ quota to fulfil.

justsomebloke

Thanks for putting that together, very informative.

Yeah fair enough, you are right, it can be difficult not to gravitate too much to one of the extreme sides of the spectrum. He certainly has more than a handful of good games for us (loved him as a player when he joined, so much energy...).

My issue with him is mostly, that I don't get the feeling, that he is really pushing himself. He is seemingly fine with being "not the worst in team" instead of pushing others, he has technical ability but he doesn't really leave his comfort zone making even better use of it. And his attacking is too reluctant in my eyes, I often have the feeling with him, that he intentionally stays a little too far behind a certain line or a player only to be able to make a solid claim for "I had to pass back, there was no chance".
Lots of it might be down to instructions, sure, but I don't know, along the way he outlived my hopes and if I don't think, that a player is the future, then my priority is to bring in a player with the potential to be that future.

Hopefully Malacia adapts quickly to the league. And, for his sake, I hope there are a few more additions recruitment-wise, so the focus won't be that huge on the individual newcomers.
Interesting observation on Shaw, I can see your point. At his best though, I think he's had wonderful chemistry with Rashford - there were games where they were a constant threat down the left even though the opponents knew we were coming primarily down that flank and could focus on it. I certainly would not regard it as a sure thing that he'll revert to form, to say nothing of improving further. I think 20/21 showed that he can be a viable first choice LB on a successful United team, but he has some way to go to warrant any conviction that he will be. I guess he's one of the players it will be most interesting to see how fares under EtH and a new system.

I really know next to nothing about Malacia, but I'm just assuming that given his relative obscurity and youth and limited cost, he hasn't been bought with an expectation that he'll step in and claim a starting role this season. But if he can provide better cover than Telles, that'll fill an important gap. And who knows.

Ekeke

Not a good look for Antony tbh :lol:
Looks fairly fast and strong, tight on Antony who is getting frustrated and play acting. Like you said not a good video for Antony. Malacia looks like he enjoys the idea of doing some defending which is not the case with all of our defenders so thats a nice mark to have. No idea if he can cross as well as Shaw was for us and England until last season though. If he can put quality into the box too then Shaw will have top competition.

As for Shaw himself, the body hate squad were quieted a little while he was being our best player and putting in amazing crosses from the left for a season + a tournament for England. But then he let himself down with a lacklustre season and so the hate squad is being as loud as possible, worried they'll have to stomach him getting back on form and being a great leftback again. The truth is he has been, but for not that many seasons compared to how many he has now played. Probably 2 seasons and an international tournament where he's been as good as anyone in the country in his position, and the rest of the time which is the majority he's been good to above average. At his best he's one of our most important players, but he needs to be somewhere near his best more often to really cement his time at the club and help push us onto better things.

flappyjay

Rojo - £16m
Blind - £14m
Darmian - £13m
Varela - £2.5m
Dalot - £19m
Telles - £13m

In the end only blind was worth it.

Bondi77

In the end only blind was worth it.
Blind was decent for us and was so versatile.
If he was a bit quicker he would be class but there are a lot of players over the years that had they been blessed with pace could have been World class.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
funny. I'm pretty sure he was your player of the season 18-19 and had another excellent season 20-21 where he was pipped to player of the season by Bruno, he was voted best left back of Euro 2020 by BBC viewers (he got 48% of the vote which was by far the highest vote percentage for any winner in any position)

Yes he's had some pretty poor times as well, specifically under Mourinho who treated him like sh*t and of course last season, but everyone in your squad was appalling last season.

The writing off as Shaw as a player is a bit harsh imo and I would not be surprised if, with a good bit of competition from Malacia and the need to reclaim his place for the world cup, you'll see him hit top form again this season, which will of course make a massive difference for whoever plays in front of him be it Rashford or Sancho.
Your correct, I was being too harsh.
Just wanted to show the sentiment some might have and why some may have already given up on him, shaw hasn't fulfilled his potential in his time with us but to be fair who has ever since Fergie left

AjaxNL

Malacia is a very interesting player. I think he has all the characteristics to be a success at United. Quick, agile, decent defender, good going forward, gets stuck in. Very good attitude. Curious to see how he will adapt to the prem, but this could prove to be a very good signing. He needs a little time though, don't expect the world from him in his first season.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Not a good look for Antony tbh :lol:
After seeing Antony's shithousery in that vid, I'm suddenly interested to see the first meet up between these two in training if they both joined.

Abraxas

Rojo - £16m
Blind - £14m
Darmian - £13m
Varela - £2.5m
Dalot - £19m
Telles - £13m

I think the point is that at some stage the players we buy for ridiculous money tend to have been picked up by other clubs for relatively modest fees. For example we wait for Harry Maguire to go to Leicester and then pay whatever it takes when even people on this forum had the sense to see that Maguire looked a standout at Hull. Imagine if we'd have bought him as a prospect. He wouldn't have been under this kind of scrutiny.

We need to be a little more proactive and that comes with some risk but they're far more limited in scope than the risks we have been taking. As with everything it is a balance. Sometimes you have to get proven quality for a key position but there's huge room for us to be picking up players on the verge of a break out.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?

Rojo - £16m
Blind - £14m
Darmian - £13m
Varela - £2.5m
Dalot - £19m
Telles - £13m

in all fairness, no way that Daley Blind belongs with this lot

Chairman Steve

You know what would be a neat reveal? This photo comes out officially, then later a video comes out and it’s Malacia holding the shirt when the arms lower down.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What’s left to do for this deal? Fees been agreed… he’s already chose us over Lyon, is it just a case of him agreeing personal terms and all that?

Blood Mage

What’s left to do for this deal? Fees been agreed… he’s already chose us over Lyon, is it just a case of him agreeing personal terms and all that?
Honestly I think we're waiting until tomorrow before announcing anything due to the new kit being presented.

Trex

Usually we would announce the deal subject to medical and personal terms but that was Woodward style though.

Status
Not open for further replies.