Tyrone Mings stamp on Zlatan | He’s at it again

Fener1907

Justice for Tyrone! His great grandmother was a quarter Swedish and he recently purchased a new sofa from IKEA. He'd never have done that intentionally to Zlatan.

Sylar

"13 yellow cards - the last which was April 2015."

Sounds impressive, except hasnt he only made 4 appearances since 2015?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Probably because stepping on someone's head is as dickish as it is dangerous.
But what if it was accidental as Mings insists it is? I mean surely we are not saying Mings is well coordinated enough for his fecking feet always to go where he wants are we? He's a fecking donkey and I don't think he deliberately stamped on his face. If so, the ban is stupidly harsh. Given the severity of the incident 3 matches seems reasonable. It is also just as easy to break a cheekbone with the elbow as it is with a foot.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I still don't think he meant it and I think the FA has this one wrong. It appears to be indicating that intent or not does not matter but that sets a very bad precedent. A lot of the nastiest incidents in football are completely accidental.
I'm also not comfortable with how this has played out. I think he did mean it but I just can't see how the FA can punish him as if he has confessed to the crime. The kid has enough doubt on his side.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Racial slurs obviously have no place in football. But life threatening challenges like head stamping are equally bad imo.
Life threatening? Am I missing something here? I saw him deliberately (imo) catch Ibrahimovic but you make it sound like he was jumping up and down on his head

montpelier

all seems about right to me, fortunate neither of them got badly hurt or suspensions would have been longer I think

there's contact between foot & head that certainly doesn't LOOK accidental

don't really think Mings can admit doing it even if he has, so we are where we are

Last edited:

AndyJ1985

I'm also not comfortable with how this has played out. I think he did mean it but I just can't see how the FA can punish him as if he has confessed to the crime. The kid has enough doubt on his side.
It's not a court of law, there doesn't need to be proof of intent or a confession. Watching a video replay and seeing that he made no attempt to avoid stamping on someone's head is enough to deserve a lengthy ban.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
It's not a court of law, there doesn't need to be proof of intent or a confession. Watching a video replay and seeing that he made no attempt to avoid stamping on someone's head is enough to deserve a lengthy ban.
Yep, even if he didn't mean it he can still be done for dangerous play too, think both bans are fine and neither can have any complaint

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Yep, even if he didn't mean it he can still be done for dangerous play too, think both bans are fine and neither can have any complaint

peridigm

What's that got to do with what I said?
Suarez got 10 for biting. Point being, the FA either thinks biting is worse than an intentional stamp on the head, or that the stamp was not intentional hence the lesser ban.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Suarez got 10 for biting. Point being, the FA either thinks biting is worse than an intentional stamp on the head, or that the stamp was not intentional hence the lesser ban.
I couldn't care less what Suarez got to be honest. If they believe he intentionally stamped on a players head then 5 games is nowhere near enough, like I said.

Seveneric

Still don't believe he meant to do it. Sorry but it takes a special kind of evil to want to purposefully stamp on someone's head. I think it was just clumsy/accidental. Can't say I'm feel sorry about the ban for him though.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
If he was sorry about it, he should have stopped immediately and looked at the ref, put his hands up, gone to Ibra and seen if he was alright. Then none of the afters would have happened.

I still think this is down to poor refereeing, the ref sees it, blows his whistle, Mings gets sent off & a 3 match ban, Zlatan doesn't retaliate and the other guy doesn't push Zlatan & get sent off. Profit all round.

How about giving the ref a 3 match ban for incompetence?

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
5 matched for stepping on someone's head appears fairly lenient. I would say he ended up getting off lightly to be honest.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Don't think he meant it, but was dangerous play; 3 match ban for both would be the best imo.

Dobbs

You sure, sinch? He very clearly looked at Zlatan while in the air and raked the front of his boot on his head, after which, he continued on as if nothing happened. To me, and it seems, the FA review panel, this suggests he knew exactly what he was doing and tried very hard to disguise it.

Remember, that stamps are really spur of the moment decisions.
If you're going to jump over an object you look at it first right? That's just instinct, it'd be weird not to. So I don't really get why the glance at Zlatan is a sign of intent.

Stactix

It looked intentional, Zlatans head will feel slightly different to that of fecking grass. Had a look before he commited the act and surely if he did not intend it he would of looked back after the act?

You'd certainly notice if you had stood on someones fecking head thinking it was grass.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
But what if it was accidental as Mings insists it is? I mean surely we are not saying Mings is well coordinated enough for his fecking feet always to go where he wants are we? He's a fecking donkey and I don't think he deliberately stamped on his face. If so, the ban is stupidly harsh. Given the severity of the incident 3 matches seems reasonable. It is also just as easy to break a cheekbone with the elbow as it is with a foot.
Nah I don't buy it. He had an altercation with Zlatan a few minutes earlier which ended with him being dumped on the ground and being visibly wound up. He then tried to clatter Rooney a few seconds before, then actuallly looks at Zlatan's head before "accidentally" treading on it. He might be a clown but suggesting a professional footballer can't control what he does with his own foot is a thin argument at the best of times. He wasn't falling over or out of control. He was running and had a full view of what was going on around him.

Then you have to factor in the reaction. If I did that to someone by accident my reaction would be to stop, or at least go back and apologise. Mings ran off like someone who didn't want to linger at the scene of a crime. I don't think he set out to injure him. It was an opportunist way of getting his own back in what he himself described as a "battle" (strange word for someone who apparently engaged in no wrongdoing to use). It wasn't the career threatening incident some made it out to be but it was fecking stupid and the act of a wimp.

I think the statement from Bournemouth is a bit embrassing too. They're basically saying the TV cameras are lying. No one is telling them to sack Mings or publicly string him up. A mini rant from Howe about it being "ridiculous" or something and then just getting on with it, would have been fine. No need to make a big public show of pretending your player is as innocent as Jesus...no one cares. He stamped on someone and got banned. The solution is to not stamp on people. If he does it again he isn't going to be let off just because Bournemouth FC say he's a good lad. It's a bit Liverpool-ish.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Nah I don't buy it. He had an altercation with Zlatan a few minutes earlier which ended with him being dumped on the ground and being visibly wound up. He then tried to clatter Rooney a few seconds before, then actuallly looks at Zlatan's head before "accidentally" treading on it. He might be a clown but suggesting a professional footballer can't control what he does with his own foot is a thin argument at the best of times. He wasn't falling over or out of control. He was running and had a full view of what was going on around him.

Then you have to factor in the reaction. If I did that to someone by accident my reaction would be to stop, or at least go back and apologise. Mings ran off like someone who didn't want to linger at the scene of a crime. I don't think he set out to injure him. It was a cowardly way of getting his own back in what he himself described as a "battle" (strange word for someone who apparently engaged in no wrongdoing to use). It wasn't the career threatening incident some made it out to be but it was fecking stupid and the act of a wimp.

I think the statement from Bournemouth is a bit embrassing too. They're basically saying the TV cameras are lying. No one is telling them to sack Mings or publicly string him up. A mini rant from Howe about it being "ridiculous" or something and then just getting on with it, would have been fine. No need to make a big public show of pretending your player is as innocent as Jesus...no one cares. He stamped on someone and got banned. The solution is to not stamp on people. If he does it again he isn't going to be let off just because Bournemouth FC say he's a good lad. It's a bit Liverpool-ish.
Yeah yeah, I think Tyrone Mings.

HeckneyNoodo

If he was sorry about it, he should have stopped immediately and looked at the ref, put his hands up, gone to Ibra and seen if he was alright. Then none of the afters would have happened.

I still think this is down to poor refereeing, the ref sees it, blows his whistle, Mings gets sent off & a 3 match ban, Zlatan doesn't retaliate and the other guy doesn't push Zlatan & get sent off. Profit all round.

How about giving the ref a 3 match ban for incompetence?
Friend is a loser, he should be relagated to the conference league

Ludens the Red

Are the people at Bournemouth a bunch of massive idiots or what? Is there nobody at the club who can tell the difference between rules in football and criminal (REAL LIFE) law. What is with the over emphasis on "proving intent", its not a fecking court of law, its not fecking criminal law, this isn't a criminal damage charge, it's fecking football.
The FA simply decide if they believe it's violent conduct or not, that's it. They don't need a fecking mass of evidence to try and prove Mings had intent. Can you imagine football if you could appeal against things based on 'lack of evidence of intent'. There'd literally never be any red cards because they'd all be appealed based on lack of evidence of intent.
It's been annoying me for days seeing it on here but for an actual football club to be that stupid and come out with that, fecking hell, words fail me.

Eddy_JukeZ

No one can convince me it wasn't intentional.

He could have gone back like noodle said and apologized if he didn't mean to do it. He ran off pretending nothing had occurred.

And Bournemouth's statement was embarrassing.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
And Howe:

"Although he (Mings) is a beast in stature he is certainly a gentle giant on and off the pitch," Howe told reporters on Friday.

"We are disappointed for Tyrone, we feel it was accidental. I don't think he has that kind of streak in him. It's a real shame for him.

"I see a defender who has made a very good tackle trying to get back to his goal as quickly as possible. His focus is on the ball, not on what lies beneath him."

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's clearly not intentional. You try making such a big jump without any run up. Look where Mings' starting position is. Not sure Zlatan's elbow is intentional either.
hahaha! if you are about to tread on somebody you don't put your foot down. He knows exactly what he is doing. Don't be so naive.

RedMaestro

Aren't professional footballers supposed to be aware of their surroundings? Just having all the focus on the ball would make him a bad player. I honestly don't think it was his intention to stamp on Ibra's head, but I do think it was his intention to stamp on him - that's why he didn't even try to show some sign that he "stepped" on something other than grass - he must have felt that he "stepped" on an unusual thing? It was just his try to "pay back" but he simply "misplaced" his foot.

Mings should just accept that he made a mistake and move on. Otherwise Ibra could also have the same claim - maybe his intention was to elbow Mings in the chest and not his head? Some players do use more elbow than necessary but they have no malice, it's just their "rough" style of play i.e. the "Fellaini-style"? Ibra did at least the right thing - he accepts what he's done and he's taking the punishment without complaining.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I don't really see that intent has anything much to do with it.

Remember when Shawcross broke Ramsey's leg, no way did he intend to break his leg, it was an unfortunate accident and the boy was distraught afterwards. It was still deemed as a dangerous play and he was immediately sent off, intent is irrelevant.

It's dangerous play, he's bang to rights, take the punishment and move on.

Alabaster Codify7

I don't understand why everyone is up in arms about this. History has shown that if you appeal a ban, the FA will never back down and admit that they were wrong, and they WILL increase the ban. This isn't some unprecedented thing, it happens all the time. Bournemouth should've taken the initial ban and not been so naïve to appeal it. Mings stood on Zlatan's head, that is dangerous play that could've caused a horrific injury, there's no two ways around it - regardless of whether he intended to do it or not, it was reckless and dangerous play.