U 18s: Leeds v Man United

Mickson

David Jones' a pretty good analyst.
Seems decent, I was speaking about the expert commentator. Don't really see the point more than two blokes likes to chat with each other as they seem to fill the same role. Both just say what we all see. I have never heard him talk about formations, patterns, or something like that. Think he has misunderstood his job.

Fanta Stick

Seems decent, I was speaking about the expert commentator. Don't really see the point more than two blokes likes to chat with each other as they seem to fill the same role. Both just say what we all see. I have never heard him talk about formations, patterns, or something like that. Think he has misunderstood his job.
That's Arthur Albiston in case anyone doesn't know.

Played left back for Utd 1974-88

lysglimt

Scout
That's Arthur Albiston in case anyone doesn't know.

Played left back for Utd 1974-88
Not exactly related to U18's but does anyone know who played left back for Scotland and the late 70s and early 80s ? I know Scotland had a good team in this period, but I still think it's strange that Albiston got so few chances for the national team.

Fanta Stick

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@BeforeKeanetherewasRobson Not much to add to above. For most of the 1970s when both were fit Danny McGrain was shifted to the left to accommodate Sandy Jardine on the right. Both two of the finest full-backs in Europe so it made sense to fit them both in, with McGrain being comfortable across the defence and Jardine's quality on the ball enabling him to play as a sweeper later on in his career. By the 1980s Malpas came to the fore and was a key cog in that great Dundee United team.

Team selection could be somewhat erratic at times too. In 1978 I think we started Martin Buchan at left-back against Peru - a fine centre-half but looked a bit out of his comfort zone up against pace on the touchline. McGrain was injured, Albiston missed out as did Hansen and Souness.

Last edited:

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
McNeil seems to have added some pace....or were the Leeds defence really slow. This kid could make the grade. Just hope he trains on,doesnt get his head turned. But there are so many wunderkids that just did not make the jump from Youth football to Senior.I remember James Wilson scoring goals for fun years ago.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
McNeil seems to have added some pace....or were the Leeds defence really slow. This kid could make the grade. Just hope he trains on,doesnt get his head turned. But there are so many wunderkids that just did not make the jump from Youth football to Senior.I remember James Wilson scoring goals for fun years ago.
There is a big difference in McNeil and Wilson. The former's a poacher and plays within the pen box mainly. Wilson was a bit of a speed merchant. You can see McNeil adding more to his style of play already as the season progressed. Wilson never really added much variance to his play.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Another good win and it was great to see McNeill among the goals again.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
There is a big difference in McNeil and Wilson. The former's a poacher and plays within the pen box mainly. Wilson was a bit of a speed merchant. You can see McNeil adding more to his style of play already as the season progressed. Wilson never really added much variance to his play.
he is certainly adding assists to his goal scoring now. Looks like he is learning and working in training. Apparently he has scored more goals at this age level than Mason Greenwood, so if he continues in that vain, I'll be happy. Could they play together?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
he is certainly adding assists to his goal scoring now. Looks like he is learning and working in training. Apparently he has scored more goals at this age level than Mason Greenwood, so if he continues in that vain, I'll be happy. Could they play together?
A Cole/Yorkie combo? Would be interesting if they could learn to play together -- but as of now, they may run into each other's spaces based on their current trajectory.
At least, Greenwood is benefitting from the University of Cavani. Hopefully, both Hugill and McNeill gets a chance to attend next season.