U/18's v Walsall

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
United U/18's defeated Walsall 5-0 at Carrington this morning. On a very hot day, the game was divided into three 30 minute periods. The United starting line-up had most of the play in the first period but neither keeper was really tested and the score was 0-0. Half way through the second period, coach Paul McGuinness made four changes...bringing on Danny Welbeck, Ben Amos, Corry Evans and David Williams. The changes had an immediate impact with Welbeck notching a goal that was ample reward for UNited's superiority. The second period ended 1-0. Futher substitutions ensued for the last thirty minutes with Mitchell Bryant, Scott Moffatt and Kenny Strickland all coming on. Welbeck quickly added a seconf before David Williams scored twice in two minutes to give United a 4-0 lead. At this point United were dominating and could have scored a bag full. However only one further goal was recorded, a nice effort from Anton Bryan.

Team:

1. Zieler.............................solid
2. Eckersley........................outstanding....wonderful tackling, covering and supporting the forwards
3. Drinkwater......................solid
4. Dudley............................OK but not convinced
5. Cathcart.........................assured and composed as usual....very good player
6. McCormack......................got stuck in
7. Eikrem.............................lovely skills, great passing and vision....got better as game wore on
8. Derbyshire.......................disappointing...kept giving ball away
9. Bryan..............................worked hard and deserved his goal
10 Fagan.............................usual hard worker
11. Galbraith........................looked good on the ball, nice touches and tracked back well

12. Corry Evans (6).............dominated midfield when he came on
13.Amos (1)........................not much to do...one great save from 1v1
14. Welbeck (9)...................gave different option up front...nice touches, took goals well
15. Bryant (11)....................hard to tell
16. Williams (8)....................very strong and scored two good goals
17. Moffatt (3)....................hard to tell
18. Strickland (4).................hard to tell

Anton Bryan came back on for Fagan

Galbraith came back on for Moffatt (who took knock)

Brandy and Hewson trained with reserves so I expect to see them playing at Hyde tomorrow night.....

oskarutd

Thanks, great info as usually.
Any info on the Christian names of Strickland and Moffett/Moffatt?
Is Danny Williams a striker?

Mr. MUJAC

David Williams has been at United since he was 8 or 9.....I believe he left for a couple of years...don't know why as yet....and has just returned...he plays up front and also in midfield..

Scott Moffatt plays left fullback

Kenny Strickland plays in defence...he came on as a central defender yesterday

I have not enquired about these guys as yet so will no doubt learn more over the next few weeks...

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Do you know the age/birth on Dudley, Welbeck, Williams, Moffatt and Strickland?

oskarutd

TonyPark said:
David Williams has been at United since he was 8 or 9.....I believe he left for a couple of years...don't know why as yet....and has just returned...he plays up front and also in midfield..

Scott Moffatt plays left fullback

Kenny Strickland plays in defence...he came on as a central defender yesterday

I have not enquired about these guys as yet so will no doubt learn more over the next few weeks...
Thanks, Williams was a subsitute last year against Sheffield Wednesday, usused.
In the same game Moffatt played and a certain Collins as a striker. Any info on him?

Mr. MUJAC

oskarutd said:
Thanks, Williams was a subsitute last year against Sheffield Wednesday, usused.
In the same game Moffatt played and a certain Collins as a striker. Any info on him?
I think MUTV made a mistake about Collins.........I reckon it was actually Nick Ajose........

In the last four Academy games last season....Moffatt, Norwood, Welbeck, Ajose, Stewart, Bryant and Potts all got runs.....additionally Williams and Woods were on the bench.....

Nick Ajose from the Bury area
Oliver Norwood from Burnley
Danny Welbeck from central Manchester
Mitchell Bryant from Swindon
Scott Moffatt -
David Williams -
Michael Potts -
Stewart ?
Gary Woods from Cambridge

I have no dates of birth or ages.....I will try to obtain these over the next few weeks

oskarutd

TonyPark said:
I think MUTV made a mistake about Collins.........I reckon it was actually Nick Ajose........

Stewart ?
I suspected that.
Cameron Stewart.

oskarutd

From mr. laurie in the newbies:

U18: David Williams?
A certain 'David Williams' impressed for the U18's against Walsall according to TonyPark. Tony (or anyone!) : have never heard about this fella, is it Brøndby's David Williams that we have over for a trial?

Picture:
http://fbtz.com/forum/showthread.php?p=471616

...an 18-year old australian:

http://www.brondby.com/article.asp?aid=37473&id=148

Have never heard of a youth named David Williams...

Mark Howard seems to be near a Brøndby contract, but might just miss out because of the prospected Adam Eckersley-loan. The next days will decide...

(by the way: god damn stupid idiotic newbierules)
I am sure that´s not him, this one is Australian aboriginal. This is an under 16 player.

oskarutd

TonyPark said:
Not sure this is the same person.......he didn't sound like he had an Australian accent at all when I heard him talk yesterday.......
I ment I am sure this is not him !
;)
Was he a Austalian Aboriginaly?

Mr. MUJAC

oskarutd said:
I ment I am sure this is not him !
;)
Was he a Austalian Aboriginaly?
No....and David Williams has been at United since he was 9/10.....an Australian would never get a work permit so I couldn't see United taking him on.....

Definitely not the same player....