U18: Man Utd - Sunderland

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hope Hardley's injury isn't too serious, he looks very uncomfortable.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Feared the worst the first time he went down. He looked like it was gonna be a bad one. The fact he’s got up and tried to carry on hopefully means it isn’t too serious.

Down to the absolute bare bones at CB now between the u23s and 18s. I think Taylor is the only one available now.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Hope Hardley's injury isn't too serious, he looks very uncomfortable.
He's back up and hitting 40 yard passes with his left foot.

Just gone down again. Pity.

AltiUn

Sunderland have had a man sent off. The referee's been excellent today.

AltiUn

McNeill somehow doesn't make it 7.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Terrific second half. Seemed like we were playing downhill at times.

AltiUn

Outstanding performance. Emeran, Hoogewerf and Hansen-Aaroen completely ran the show, Hansen-Aaroen in particular was a cut above, looks an excellent talent. With a little bit of end product Hoogewerf could be a great player. McNeill and Garnacho both played really well, on a different day McNeill has a hat trick. I'm really liking the look of McNeill so far.

Little shout out to Bjorn hardley and 15 year old Louis Jackson who swept up everything in our half all game, their distribution was excellent. Everyone played very well today, a very enjoyable team performance.

Everton away up next so expect a couple more injuries to add to the collection.

Loopy

I’m impressed by 15 year old Louis Jackson, I think it’s the second time he has played the full 90 mins for the U18, such potential, he has maturity in his game, his distribution was class.

Silverman

Seems to be some quality youngsters in the team.
Anyone thinking we'll see a number of Rashfords in the near future?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don’t know why Hardley doesn’t play for the 23s yet. We have no centre halves there at the moment, and he strolls through games in the 18s - I’ve barely seen him break a sweat.

AltiUn

Seems to be some quality youngsters in the team.
Anyone thinking we'll see a number of Rashfords in the near future?
I don't want to jinx anything and it's obviously hard to judge players at youth level, but I'd be surprised if at least a couple of these players don't make it to the first team.

Mickson

Don’t know why Hardley doesn’t play for the 23s yet. We have no centre halves there at the moment, and he strolls through games in the 18s - I’ve barely seen him break a sweat.
Yeah, must be because we hardly (hehehe) have any central defenders at U18 level either.

Outstanding performance. Emeran, Hoogewerf and Hansen-Aaroen completely ran the show, Hansen-Aaroen in particular was a cut above, looks an excellent talent. With a little bit of end product Hoogewerf could be a great player. McNeill and Garnacho both played really well, on a different day McNeill has a hat trick. I'm really liking the look of McNeill so far.

Little shout out to Bjorn hardley and 15 year old Louis Jackson who swept up everything in our half all game, their distribution was excellent. Everyone played very well today, a very enjoyable team performance.

Everton away up next so expect a couple more injuries to add to the collection.
I was a little bit annoyed with him yesterday. Too cocky and too selfish at times where he just shoots randomly with teammates in great space, also he's kind of lazy with the ball sometimes. However, I think he has been very good at U18 level this season and you can see that he can and feels that he can do whatever he likes. His numbers are very good. 5 goals and 6 assists in just 6 starts.

Feared the worst the first time he went down. He looked like it was gonna be a bad one. The fact he’s got up and tried to carry on hopefully means it isn’t too serious.

Down to the absolute bare bones at CB now between the u23s and 18s. I think Taylor is the only one available now.
Fish should be available, no? 1 game ban, which he served now by not playing with the U18?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Fish should be available, no? 1 game ban, which he served now by not playing with the U18?
I don’t know, can you do that? Didn’t work like that for Mejbri’s red card earlier in the season anyway.

But then I feel like that is something that has been done before so Im not actually sure of the specific rules regarding it.

Mickson

I don’t know, can you do that? Didn’t work like that for Mejbri’s red card earlier in the season anyway.

But then I feel like that is something that has been done before so Im not actually sure of the specific rules regarding it.
I'm pretty sure it worked that way for Shoretire. Maybe @jb8521 knows more?

Pearson

I was a little bit annoyed with him yesterday. Too cocky and too selfish at times where he just shoots randomly with teammates in great space, also he's kind of lazy with the ball sometimes. However, I think he has been very good at U18 level this season and you can see that he can and feels that he can do whatever he likes. His numbers are very good. 5 goals and 6 assists in just 6 starts.
He did all right yesterday.

A bit swaggering at times, which is a bit annoying. I am more worried about his inconsistency, whether the last pass as a midfielder or the shooting as a striker.

Hope he can keep progressing next season at U23.

I really like him. His height is a big disadvantage. Given the high demanding on players' physicality in football world, it would be more impressive if he could make it at United. To achieve that, he needs to be more unselfish, run a bit more.

AltiUn

A bit swaggering at times, which is a bit annoying. I am more worried about his inconsistency, whether the last pass as a midfielder or the shooting as a striker.

I really like him. His height is a big disadvantage. Given the high demanding on players' physicality in football world, it would be more impressive if he could make it at United. To achieve that, he needs to be more unselfish, run a bit more.
While his height's not ideal he's got a quite decent build, he's quite stocky. He strikes me as someone who'll end up being very difficult to get the ball off in a few years due to a low centre of gravity and a bulky physique.

Sea-Cow

Is he quick enough? I only really get to watch the youth in the highlights so it is hard to judge.

Pearson

Is he quick enough? I only really get to watch the youth in the highlights so it is hard to judge.
He is arguably the fastest player in the academy, I think. Up until now the pace is his most valuable asset. Hope he could add more to his arsenal though. Particularly his ball intelligence in a squeezed space in the final third.

Sea-Cow

He is arguably the fastest player in the academy, I think. Up until now the pace is his most valuable asset. Hope he could add more to his arsenal though. Particularly his ball intelligence in a squeezed space in the final third.
Wow well I did not know that. Thanks

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Emeran seems to enjoy himself after the lengthy injury doesn´t he? Wonder what is his potential, hopefully better than Gyliano van Velzen :-)

Mickson

Emeran seems to enjoy himself after the lengthy injury doesn´t he? Wonder what is his potential, hopefully better than Gyliano van Velzen :-)
I'm not sure he's all that. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for being out so long, but I think he lacks that last bit of pace and also technique sometimes. But the first one might be a result of his injuries, we'll see.

lysglimt

Scout
Van Velzen was a strange one - I am not an expert scout at all, but he was the kind of player you wondered .. what did he really offer to the team ? With most players you might question them because they lack pace, because they aren't technically good enough....with van Velzen it was just....what made us sign him ?

lysglimt

Scout
I don't want to jinx anything and it's obviously hard to judge players at youth level, but I'd be surprised if at least a couple of these players don't make it to the first team.
It's very hard to say - you look at Laird, Mengi, Garner, Levitt - they are every bit as talented, but they are nowhere near the first-team yet. Garner is probably the only one who is fairly close. Another good example is Kovar who at times was brilliant last season, but had a nightmare at Swindon.

You have to be extremely special to go from our own ranks straight to the first team - like Rashford, McTominay and Greenwood. Williams was probably more lucky that there was a spot open when he broke through, but once we got 2 really good fullbacks who stayed injury-free, he is nowhere near that level yet.

But I would say there are 9-10 players who all have a good chance to make - Garner, Fernandes, Elanga, Hannibal, Shoretire are the five I rate the most because they have extreme qualities (Hanniballs skills, Elangas pace, Fernandes composure and skills on the ball, Garners passing, and Shoretires skills with the ball). McNeill has a good chance - the only concern I have is his pace. Hugill and Fish a bit of the same - pace. Laird has his injury concerns etc

Realistically though - maybe 3-4 of them will break into the squad regularly, at best.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Van Velzen was a strange one - I am not an expert scout at all, but he was the kind of player you wondered .. what did he really offer to the team ? With most players you might question them because they lack pace, because they aren't technically good enough....with van Velzen it was just....what made us sign him ?
Think it was rumored on RI that it was a case of mistaken identity. We signed the wrong person :lol:

Beaucoup

It's very hard to say - you look at Laird, Mengi, Garner, Levitt - they are every bit as talented, but they are nowhere near the first-team yet. Garner is probably the only one who is fairly close. Another good example is Kovar who at times was brilliant last season, but had a nightmare at Swindon.

You have to be extremely special to go from our own ranks straight to the first team - like Rashford, McTominay and Greenwood. Williams was probably more lucky that there was a spot open when he broke through, but once we got 2 really good fullbacks who stayed injury-free, he is nowhere near that level yet.

But I would say there are 9-10 players who all have a good chance to make - Garner, Fernandes, Elanga, Hannibal, Shoretire are the five I rate the most because they have extreme qualities (Hanniballs skills, Elangas pace, Fernandes composure and skills on the ball, Garners passing, and Shoretires skills with the ball). McNeill has a good chance - the only concern I have is his pace. Hugill and Fish a bit of the same - pace. Laird has his injury concerns etc

Realistically though - maybe 3-4 of them will break into the squad regularly, at best.
I hope I'm wrong but I can only see Hannibal having a chance to cement a place in the first team, I was there for his debut and you could see straight away he had that "X" factor.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I hope I'm wrong but I can only see Hannibal having a chance to cement a place in the first team, I was there for his debut and you could see straight away he had that "X" factor.
I think Laird has a good chance to be 2nd choice RB next season and Garner will be in the squad too.Shoretire will eventually make it too. Rest are difficult to predict.

yamo123x

We have some great potential talent and a lot of the time it is about getting first team opportunities for these young guys and how they adapt when given that opportunity. Ole will give them a chance, if they work hard and have right personality it can work out and save us millions. But so many fail to live up to their potential, whilst others in right place right time end up making a great career for themselves.

Mctominay was thrust into first team squad by Jose, despite him not being a regular at u23 level, he was so out of his depth at first but has adapted and now looks a steady first team player, something i never imagined at first.

Brandon Williams, looked great at all youth levels, started well in first team but has flattered to deceive since, he needs to grow physically ..jury is out on him, a loan to another prem team would be good for him IMHO.

Amad and Shoretire, how will they adapt?

Just wonder if and when Laird, Menghi, Galbraith, Elanga, Hannibal, Pellestri, Puigmal, Hughill, Mcneil and crew get their chances how they will fare?

Garner, Kovar and Levitt great players at Youth Levels, but not done particularly well on loan..has their ship now sailed?

lysglimt

Scout
Garner is playing great on loan.
Yes - he was average at Watford, but they firing their manager was a blessing for Garner. He has been arguably Forests best player and the fans love him, and want him back for next season

Tallis

Yes - he was average at Watford, but they firing their manager was a blessing for Garner. He has been arguably Forests best player and the fans love him, and want him back for next season
Garner has been good but feel like his game needs to come up a bit for him to be a regular player in a top 6 team. Just overall play - more intensity, more running. Good news is that he is still young and can continue to develop with loan moves.

I am most excited about seeing Mejbri in senior football. Let’s hope it can happen this season.