U18s: Leeds United vs Manchester United

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Figured I may as well start a thread. 30 mins in, 2-0 to United. Gore and Mather with the goals. Our keeper just made a worldie of a save. Ennis making his debut, looks quiet so far but puts in a decent shift and isn't afraid to work hard.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It’s a great open game. Nice conditions. Bielsa is there with his notepad. Carroll looks good for Leeds. The guy on the right wing is an Alan smith regen but I’m fairly sure Smith was playing first team at the same age. We are passing it well. I think we could repeat the score of the seniors game handy enough

SmashedHombre

It’s a great open game. Nice conditions. Bielsa is there with his notepad. Carroll looks good for Leeds. The guy on the right wing is an Alan smith regen but I’m fairly sure Smith was playing first team at the same age. We are passing it well. I think we could repeat the score of the seniors game handy enough
Hopefully we get a couple more as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet. We are passing it nicely in the final third, but still look pretty vulnerable at the back. Dan Gore been the best player on the pitch for me.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Hopefully we get a couple more as I can't see us keeping a clean sheet. We are passing it nicely in the final third, but still look pretty vulnerable at the back. Dan Gore been the best player on the pitch for me.
I agree, Gore has been involved in everything good we’ve done. Jurado has been solid enough. Ennis looking slightly better over on the left with one or two chances that he snatched at, The teams are fairly evenly matched but we took our chances. Our keeper has had some nice saves!

Carroll looks Leeds best player if you had to pick one to “make it”

lysglimt

Scout
Must be a dream to be a kid living behind the United-goal. 3 balls have already ended up in the backyard there - just go out and grab yourself a new ball every other saturday :)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I like the look of Ennis, Gore and especially Mainoo, who looks to have a high level of touch and technique for a midfielder.

SmashedHombre

Our goalie is making one hell of a debut
2 great saves from him. The rest of our defence looks a bit shaky though. 2-0 at half time is probably flattering but impressive considering we've looked a bit toothless up front. Norkett is yet to impress me this season, but I know he's young and highly rated so I imagine he'll start to show flashes of what he has as the season progresses. And tbf we have been a bit spoilt with our young English forwards in recent years.

Bertie Wooster

Very entertaining first half.

Good result so far, although flattering as Leeds unlucky to be losing.

Gore, Mainoo, McAllister and Jurado have looked good and Hanbury has made some great saves, although looked a little unsure from crosses.

Norkett hasn't shown much so far this season - few attributes that suggests there's better to come. But hopefully there is. And I'm undecided about Ennis - I'd only seen clips of him where he looked promising but he seems more cumbersome and slower than I'd realised. Looks technically gifted, albeit in an ungainly way. There's a hint of Norman Whiteside about him running with the ball - but he'll obviously do amazingly well to get up to his level.

Last edited:

SmashedHombre

Another great save for the keeper. We do seem to have an eye for talented young keepers

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mainoo looks like he's gonna be develop into a very good player. His level of touch and technique along with very good composure is very evident.

lysglimt

Scout
in terms of pure skills with the ball, Mainoo seems to be a few levels above everyone else yes

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mainoo gets his goal.
He deserved it, hes a lovely player to watch. I'm hoping to see a midfield of Mainoo and Hansen Aroen, soon. Both are players with high level technique and composure.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Leeds very poor in the 2nd half.
Leeds couldn't impose their high pressure game in the second half and that was due to us actually changing from a deep/mid block to pressure them high up the pitch.

Beaucoup

Leeds couldn't impose their high pressure game in the second half and that was due to us actually changing from a deep/mid block to pressure them high up the pitch.
I thought it was more to do with their tactical change at half time, their midfield was nonexistent in the 2nd half.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I thought it was more to do with their tactical change at half time, their midfield was nonexistent in the 2nd half.
Their midfield was non existence because we pushed up in the 2nd half after spending a large period playing deep on the counter in the first half which meant Leeds had all the time in the world to build from deep. But when we pushed up in the second half their build up play suffered and the game became end to end for a while.

That's how I saw it.

Mickson

He deserved it, hes a lovely player to watch. I'm hoping to see a midfield of Mainoo and Hansen Aroen, soon. Both are players with high level technique and composure.
I was impressed with Mainoo yesterday. I also liked Sam Mather's performance.

Bertie Wooster

Ha, did one of them do that siuuu thing?
No. The run to the corner and the jump and turn around.
That was Sam Mather.

This was the best I've seen him play as he's new to U18's and the CIty game wasn't on and I think he played more as a #10 in the hammering v Liverpool.

I know he's mainly a winger, and looked better there in this game. Has anyone seen much of him before this season and, if so, how much do they rate him?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
That was Sam Mather.

This was the best I've seen him play as he's new to U18's and the CIty game wasn't on and I think he played more as a #10 in the hammering v Liverpool.

I know he's mainly a winger, and looked better there in this game. Has anyone seen much of him before this season and, if so, how much do they rate him?
He only made one substitute's appearance for the U/18's last season coming on for the last 10 mins against Derby County.

He only played a handful of games for the U/16's and U/17's none of which were televised.

So it's pretty safe to say, as with most of the current U/18 squad, that unless you're a parent posting on here, none of us have seen any of these lads play much at all and as such it's impossible to give any opinion about past performances.

I used to watch the U/16's regularly at Carrington and Littleton Road over the last 30 years, but then they stopped spectators watching the games due to child protection rules. Then COVID came along so over the last 3-4 years it's been pretty impossible to form any sensible judgement.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

He only made one substitutes appearance for the U/18's last season coming on for the last 10 mins against Derby County.

He only played a handful of games for the U/16's and U/17's none of which were televised.

So it's pretty safe to say, as with most of the current U/18 squad, that unless your a parent posting on here, none of us have seen any of these lads play much at all and as such it's impossible to give any opinion about past performances.

I used to watch the U/16's regularly at Carrington and Littleton Road over the last 30 years, but then they stopped spectators watching the games due to child protection rules. Then COVID came along so over the last 3-4 years it's been pretty impossible to form any sensible judgement.
Thanks. :)

I've got MUTV so I knew he hadn't been on there much with the U18's and, as you say, the younger groups aren't shown.

I just wondered if anyone on here got to see the younger age groups in person (I hadn't realised they'd stopped people watching them nowadays), or were privy to any reports / feedback about the younger players coming through before they reach U18 level.

I like the look of Mainoo so far. Although Norkett, who I'd read about and have been looking forward to watching, has been pretty innocuous.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Thanks. :)

I've got MUTV so I knew he hadn't been on there much with the U18's and, as you say, the younger groups aren't shown.

I just wondered if anyone on here got to see the younger age groups in person (I hadn't realised they'd stopped people watching them nowadays), or were privy to any reports / feedback about the younger players coming through before they reach U18 level.

I like the look of Mainoo so far. Although Norkett, who I'd read about and have been looking forward to watching, has been pretty innocuous.
Mainoo seems to have grown which has helped him. From what I understand Norkett scored over 20 goals last season...so not a bad return. Obviously you don't know good the opposition was but that shows he knows where the back of the net is. Stepping up is always harder as most people realise. It's early days so will enjoy watching them develop.