U18s - Manchester City vs Manchester United

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He looked like the fastest guy on the pitch to me.
Then we really have to wonder what we're feeding him, at Ajax he was more like a Januzaj deceptively fast player. Looking faster than he is by outdribbling oppositions but his top speed wasnt great.

I remember being absolutely blasted by Fosu-Mensah's pace and strength when he came to United, I suggest it has to do with better training.

jb8521

Afaik the city u18’s are (beginning this season) generally playing with what would traditionally be u17 or more like u16 or lower.
The U18’s are generally playing in the U23 PL2, and the traditional U23’s are generally out on loan/sold.

This was a decision taken after the past few years of the teams below u18 not getting decent games to improve them - scoring X goals every game wasn’t helping development - mentally, defensively or in overall skills.

Eg Doyle was captain of the u15’s as recently as May 2017.

I presume imo that the youth CL is treated differently.
The only u16 that started for City was Doyle and they brought on Dionkou who they somehow have clearance for despite him being under 16 and Spanish.

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
So you lot just beat us 4-1 using U16/17 players? I'm back to being a bit terrified.
Another eg Foden, u17 World Cup winner playing with the u23’s today - goal
As is lukas nmecha u18 -hatrick.
Came back to win from 2 goals down.

City and Chelsea will keep on churning out these talented youngsters while the money from the owners seeps through those clubs into Developmental
I think it’s a bit more than ‘seep’.
It’s another way of making serious amounts of money and investing.
A few years after opening the CFA complex, the longterm production line produced decent player sales last year.

If Foden, Diaz etc make the final step up, then great, but even if they don’t, their sell-on value more than easily covers their overall cost and many many other lesser quality youths.

Chelsea do this as well.

It’s a longterm business plan.

Ironic, isn't it.
Possibly. But it’s actually realising that an academy is not just a way of hopefully producing a decent player every so often, but to increase a club’s bottom line in many ways, whilst giving any academy youths the best opportunity’s to improve and better themselves - be it football development or life.

TheOrgazoid

Another eg Foden, u17 World Cup winner playing with the u23’s today - goal
As is lukas nmecha u18 -hatrick.
Came back to win from 2 goals down.

I think it’s a bit more than ‘seep’.
It’s another way of making serious amounts of money and investing.
A few years after opening the CFA complex, the longterm production line produced decent player sales last year.

If Foden, Diaz etc make the final step up, then great, but even if they don’t, their sell-on value more than easily covers their overall cost and many many other lesser quality youths.

Chelsea do this as well.

It’s a longterm business plan.

Possibly. But it’s actually realising that an academy is not just a way of hopefully producing a decent player every so often, but to increase a club’s bottom line in many ways, whilst giving any academy youths the best opportunity’s to improve and better themselves - be it football development or life.
Oh, I'm not saying it's not a good business model.

I was just pointing out that there is some irony in that the only reason - your vastly rich owners - that City were able to invest in such a grand undertaking as starting your incredible (and it is incredible) academy and developmental system is also directly related to the reason behind the mandate likely given to your first team manager (and likewise Chelsea's) to succeed on the pitch and play attractive football.

But hey, you don't have to tell me about the fact that your model now essentially funds itself.
I intimated as such about City in another thread.

Basically, City are doing everything to catch up with United that United should be doing to run away from their rivals.

Must be brilliant for a City fan - it's frustrating as feck for me.