U18s - Manchester United vs Blackburn

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We seem very reluctant to take a long range shot this game :lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Finished 4-3, another enjoyable game for the U18s. Laird, Traore, Greenwood and Elanga the standouts today. Vale and Brennan looked good for Blackburn too. Both teams had plenty of chances and had shaky moments in central defence, I've not seen much of Blackburn other than when we play them but they looked a good attacking team today.

khoazany

Interesting selection problem in the next few games now we have Williams, Galbraith and Mellor all coming back. Will Laird move to CB again so Puigmal can continue at RB? Perhaps Galbraith will replace McGhee in the XI. Still have Devine etc on the bench.

lysglimt

Scout
Going forward we look class - defensively .. not so much. Recurring problem - I have seen every single goal for and against this season, and I can safely say that about 50% of all goals against have been due to major mistakes defensively. I know this is where a commentator says something "it's a learning experience" ...which would be fine if we did learn :) So let's just say we have a bit more Learning to do.

Greenwood - I wont mention too much, he is too good for this level already. Traore has taken huge steps - I still think he is a bit too stationary, but he is improving for each game. I also like Elanga - he lacks something in the final ball, but everything else looks really good. I also want to give a huge thumbs up to Mellor who was outstanding after coming on. Yeah he should have scored, but for a player who was out so long, his first touch was actually surprisingly good.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I enjoy watching this team more than any reserve or youth team we've had for a good few years.

Lots of technically good players with a healthy dose of oafish insanity thrown in. We always look like the better team but somehow whilst also having absolutely no control over what's going on in the game.

Nikelesh Reddy

Assume Greenwood's still growing? Has a couple of years to fill up.
He’s certainly an exciting prospect but honestly James Wilson was better when he was 18-19.I still can’t figure out why Wilson wasn’t able to make it at the highest level....

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I know I say this every year, but Greenwood should really really make it.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He’s certainly an exciting prospect but honestly James Wilson was better when he was 18-19.I still can’t figure out why Wilson wasn’t able to make it at the highest level....
I thought Wilson reminded me of an Andy Cole circa Newcastle. There wasnt that much variety to his game albeit a very productive one. Ball over his shoulder and off he goes. With his injuries, he wasnt able to expand his game.
Greenwood at 16 is showing much more variety than Wilson had in his teens. Look at all the different types of goals he scores or assists. Good movement off the ball too.

Let's pray to Jesus, Mohammed and Buddha that he doesn't have the crap luck that was inflicted on poor Wilson in the next few years.

Classical Mechanic

Wilson wasn't better than Greenwood at the same age in my opinion. Greenwood already has more England youth caps than Wilson won and in a better group. Most people that watch the England youth sides see Greenwood as one of the very best in his age group whilst Wilson won only 4 caps for England before he got in the United first team.

Wilson was an exciting talent but Warren Joyce said he stopped working once he broke into the first team, along with Macheda and Januzaj. They all ended up on generous contracts too. United subsequently capped the maximum wage for youth players coming through at £20k a week IIRC.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Greenwood is better.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well there you have it. Don't get me wrong, I liked the way Wilson played at 16, but he was only forcing his way in on the wing and was often behind Lingard and Larnell Cole for those spots at that. Much as I think some of our current youngsters are being a bit overhyped, I don't think Greenwood is one of them. He's already dominating U18 games at 16 and is probably the first name on the teamsheet.

Nikelesh Reddy

I thought Wilson reminded me of an Andy Cole circa Newcastle. There wasnt that much variety to his game albeit a very productive one. Ball over his shoulder and off he goes. With his injuries, he wasnt able to expand his game.
Greenwood at 16 is showing much more variety than Wilson had in his teens. Look at all the different types of goals he scores or assists. Good movement off the ball too.

Let's pray to Jesus, Mohammed and Buddha that he doesn't have the crap luck that was inflicted on poor Wilson in the next few years.
I agree,but Wilson had beautiful balance and his ability to just effortlessly run with the ball was breathtaking to watch...He got off to a great start under Giggsey and he even got some big opportunities under LVG(like starting at OT against Liverpool)...But it’s a pity that he struggled with injuries and apparently his attitude wasn’t great either...