Meet the press(conference)
Scout
AON Training Complex
Saturday 22 February
12:00 GMT

Live on MUTV 11:45 GMT

United
Last 5: WWWWL
Top goalscorers: Elanga (6), McCann (4), Wellens (4)

Derby
Last 5: WLWWL
Top goalscorers: Jack Stretton (9), Archie Brown (7)

Previous meeting
Derby 5-1 United (September 14th)

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hopefully Mejia is involved tomorrow. Feck knows where Emeran is.

lysglimt

Scout
Anyone else going to the game ? Hope they will let me in :)

top1whoisman

Scout
Mastny
Neville Hockenhull Hardley Devine
Svidersky McCann
Wellens Mejbri Stanley
Sotona

Subs: Mee, Hughes, Forson, Haygarth, Shoretire​

Strong team from United (Mejbri & Devine dropping down) as the U23s don’t have an official match until 2 March.

Utdstar01

Not sure i rate Sotona particularly. Technically he's not where he needs to be and his decision making is awful at times.

Utdstar01

Is nowhere safe from negativity these days?

The team has been suffering from not having a recognised centre-forward all season, that apart there's not much wrong with the team at full strength.
Well that's not true. Defensively we're pretty shit at this level.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Yes. City conceded half as many goals as us (15 vs 30)
Already been explained that we’ve had injuries to our starting back 4. Everyone agrees the replacements aren’t good enough.

top1whoisman

Scout
Are we?

There's not many clubs in England who wouldn't swap Bejger Fish Mengi and Devine for their back four of choice.

The squad players in defence aren't up to that level, but then it's unlikely they would be.
Bejger, Devine and Mengi are with the U23s. They only play (for the U18s) in the FA Youth Cup and in case of an emergency. Our defence in the U18s has been quite poor going back to McKenna days. The current defensive players are not that special but even with players like Mengi, Williams, Laird etc. we somehow looked so vulnerable at the back. Much to do with coaching for sure.

Early days but wouldn’t be surprised if none of the current defense ever made an appearance in the first team. Fish might, Hughes perhaps but he can’t seem to get a game ahead of Neville, which is pretty shocking.

Last edited:

Utdstar01

Are we?

There's not many clubs in England who wouldn't swap Bejger Fish Mengi and Devine for their back four of choice.

The squad players in defence aren't up to that level, but then it's unlikely they would be.
As somebody else already mentioned, those 3 no longer play for the u18s. It's not helped that we have had a couple of injuries but the bizarre decision to keep playing Hockenhull alongside Fish earlier in the season instead of Hardley who's clearly a better defender was a strange one. Neville isn't good enough either. The striker position isnt the only issue but one I think we should be much better equipped for next season when Mejia comes in full time.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Bejger, Devine and Mengi are with the U23s. They only play (for the U18s) in the FA Youth Cup and in case of an emergency. Our defence in the U18s has been quite poor going back to McKenna days. The current defensive players are not that special but even with players like Mengi, Williams, Laird etc. we somehow looked so vulnerable at the back. Much to do with coaching for sure.

Early days but wouldn’t be surprised if none of the current defense ever made an appearance in the first team. Fish might, Hughes perhaps but he can’t seem to get a game ahead of Neville, which is pretty shocking.
So? You have to be under 18 at the start of the season to feature in the FAYC so United could start that four(injuries permitting)every League game if we chose to do so.

We could do with somebody dominant in the air at the level, but then i've been saying that for the last 50 years!

top1whoisman

Scout
So? You have to be under 18 at the start of the season to feature in the FAYC so United could start that four(injuries permitting)every League game if we chose to do so.

We could do with somebody dominant in the air at the level, but then i've been saying that for the last 50 years!
I thought we were discussing the defense that played against Derby and the one that has played for the U18s this season, not the ones who might be eligible but play in the U23s. Sure, if Mengi & Devine played down in the U18s, we’d be stronger. Not sure how that is relevant to this discussion. It’s better for their development to play in the U23s anyway.

Utdstar01

Mengi is almost too good for u23 level let alone u18s. Hockenhull should be pretty dominant considering his height but he's not reliable enough imo. I understand what you're saying but just seems like we're lacking the right personnel. We'll have to see what next year's age group brings.

Class of 63

Sourness
As somebody else already mentioned, those 3 no longer play for the u18s. It's not helped that we have had a couple of injuries but the bizarre decision to keep playing Hockenhull alongside Fish earlier in the season instead of Hardley who's clearly a better defender was a strange one. Neville isn't good enough either. The striker position isnt the only issue but one I think we should be much better equipped for next season when Mejia comes in full time.
Hardley was being eased in at that level, and rightly so, or was playing left-back or injured so not sure who apart from Hockenhull should have played.

Class of 63

Sourness
I thought we were discussing the defense that played against Derby and the one that has played for the U18s this season, not the ones who might be eligible but play in the U23s. Sure, if Mengi & Devine played down in the U18s, we’d be stronger. Not sure how that is relevant to this discussion. It’s better for their development to play in the U23s anyway.
U18 is a truly awful team this season.

Have anyone seen Neville play a long ball who goes out for a throw-in?

Hockenhull is the worst defender i can ever remember seeing at this level

That's the kinda stuff I was replying to, anybody that expects the replacements for Bejger, Mengi and Devine, who have all seamlessly stepped up to the 23s, to be anywhere near that level is reading comics, it's comparable to saying our defence is shit in 2008 if three of Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra were missing.

It's just being negative for the sake of it.

How many of the comments above were talking about the Derby match? Answers via email to 3(three).com

top1whoisman

Scout
U18 is a truly awful team this season.

Have anyone seen Neville play a long ball who goes out for a throw-in?

Hockenhull is the worst defender i can ever remember seeing at this level

That's the kinda stuff I was replying to, anybody that expects the replacements for Bejger, Mengi and Devine, who have all seamlessly stepped up to the 23s, to be anywhere near that level is reading comics, it's comparable to saying our defence is shit in 2008 if three of Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra were missing.

It's just being negative for the sake of it.

How many of the comments above were talking about the Derby match? Answers via email to 3(three).com
Okay, then we probably disagree with how you access the squads, which is fair enough. As I don’t see the point in saying our attack in the youth cup this season is superb just because Greenwood is eligible. Or that with Rashford & McTominay our U23 team is one of the best in the country.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying our U18 team is awful this year, but apart from a couple of exceptions it’s one of the worst we’ve had for a few years.

As always on the Caf, a lot or comments are overboard, which I try to avoid myself personally. Still stating that Hockenhull and Neville are poor is not far off from what I think. And judging the defense that has played this season as a whole, yeah it’s not good enough.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Okay, then we probably disagree with how you access the squads, which is fair enough. As I don’t see the point in saying our attack in the youth cup this season is superb just because Greenwood is eligible. Or that with Rashford & McTominay our U23 team is one of the best in the country.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying our U18 team is awful this year, but apart from a couple of exceptions it’s one of the worst we’ve had for a few years.

As always on the Caf, a lot or comments are overboard, which I try to avoid myself personally. Still stating that Hockenhull and Neville are poor is not far off from what I think. And judging the defense that has played this season as a whole, yeah it’s not good enough.
It's just me being stupid I know, but the Reserve/Youth section of the Forum has been my sanctuary from the over the top negativity in those threads dedicated to the first-team long before I registered to post, but it's slowly creeping in here as well, and the one-liners in particular grind my gears, if you think Joe Bloggs is crap say so, try and getting a debate going.

There's a few in here, and I won't embarrass them by naming them again who post stuff those of us who don't user twitter would never be aware of and provide an invaluable service to the forum, but they seem to be posting less and less of late, and i'm guessing it's got something to do with what I mentioned above.

top1whoisman

Scout
It's just me being stupid I know, but the Reserve/Youth section of the Forum has been my sanctuary from the over the top negativity in those threads dedicated to the first-team long before I registered to post, but it's slowly creeping in here as well, and the one-liners in particular grind my gears, if you think Joe Bloggs is crap say so, try and getting a debate going.

There's a few in here, and I won't embarrass them by naming them again who post stuff those of us who don't user twitter would never be aware of and provide an invaluable service to the forum, but they seem to be posting less and less of late, and i'm guessing it's got something to do with what I mentioned above.
Couldn’t agree more with you, 100% feel the same. Was logged off for a few years and said a similar thing when I came back.

top1whoisman

Scout
It's a shame, and I don't know what the answer is, if you put a suggestion forward you will no doubt get replies saying if you're not happy feel free to post elsewhere.
Yeap. Unfortunately can’t see the mood in here changing radically until our first team is back challenging for trophies again. And probably not even that is enough, so we need to win some trophies before that can happen.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
As time moves on I think people will have too start looking at picking out individual performances that shine when it comes too the u-18's. There seems like a fairly deliberate strategy of moving those that can play at U-23's into that level as quickly as possible.

It will probably mean very few players who would traditionally be in their last year's staying around that long. Or the ones that do probably won't be of the a particularly high standard.

top1whoisman

Scout
It's a shame, and I don't know what the answer is, if you put a suggestion forward you will no doubt get replies saying if you're not happy feel free to post elsewhere.
It is pretty frustrating that when you post something positive or question someone’s ”constructive” negative comment, it automatically means ”oh you’re happy with us being midtable, exactly what’s wrong with our club and fans” blah blah blah.

jb8521

I wouldn't even say it's a poor team, more a case of only being set up to play a certain way & plagued by injuries in defensive & attacking areas & lacking leadership when Mengi hasn't played. In the 6 games where Mengi was involved they only conceded 3 goals but when he's unavailable & there have also been injuries to Bejger, Fish, Hardley, Denham, Gallagher, Dodgson & Hughes it means having a make shift defence for most games with a style of play which isn't set up to protect the defence. I think the injuries to important attackers has been just as much of an issue since in most games we get big chances but don't take them & the other team ends up taking theirs, it's small margins but you'd have to think we'd be in a far better position if even 2/3 of Hoogewerf, Haygarth, Elanga, Emeran & Mejia had managed to get a run of games but the only one who has is Hoogewerf & he took a bit of time to get up to speed & even he has had some injury problems.

top1whoisman

Scout
I wouldn't even say it's a poor team, more a case of only being set up to play a certain way & plagued by injuries in defensive & attacking areas & lacking leadership when Mengi hasn't played. In the 6 games where Mengi was involved they only conceded 3 goals but when he's unavailable & there have also been injuries to Bejger, Fish, Hardley, Denham, Gallagher, Dodgson & Hughes it means having a make shift defence for most games with a style of play which isn't set up to protect the defence. I think the injuries to important attackers has been just as much of an issue since in most games we get big chances but don't take them & the other team ends up taking theirs, it's small margins but you'd have to think we'd be in a far better position if even 2/3 of Hoogewerf, Haygarth, Elanga, Emeran & Mejia had managed to get a run of games but the only one who has is Hoogewerf & he took a bit of time to get up to speed & even he has had some injury problems.
Fair enough, and yeah of course if we had Elanga, Emeran, Mejia etc. playing it would be a much, much better team. But the team that has played most of the season, haven’t been too impressed. Coaching has a lot to do with it too, for sure.

Last edited: