U18s - Manchester United vs Leicester

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Curious the Mejia still can’t get a game. He’s been an unused substitute in the last 2 I think and started on the bench again today.

Madzik_92

No Mejbri no party. Probably getting ready for Arsenal :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Utdstar01

Curious the Mejia still can’t get a game. He’s been an unused substitute in the last 2 I think and started on the bench again today.
Pretty sure somebody said hes not fully fit because hes not long come back from injury?

lysglimt

Scout
1-0 up after 22 - goal by Helm. Well taken free-kick apparently

lysglimt

Scout
Well done to get 2 goals so early on - this Leicester-team has been really good defensively so far (7 goals against in 6 matches)

lysglimt

Scout
Leicester pull a goal back just before the break. Once again - a set-piece which we can't defend and Barrett scores with a shot. We almost immediately respond and Hoogewerf scores 3-1 - assist by Harvey Neville

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
4-1

Shoretire first goal for utd.

lysglimt

Scout
You're at the game I assume? Is that Hoogewerf's 1st goal?
Nope - just getting reports from the game.

Hoogewerf scored his first goal against Blackburn

Leading scorers U18 (including the 4 goals today)

Wellens 4
Elanga 3
McCann 2 (2 p)
Hoogewerf 2
Helm 2
Hockenhull 1
Shoretire 1
Sotona 1

lysglimt

Scout
United been in total control of this game - Close to 65% possession and 8-3 shots on goal

lysglimt

Scout
Leicester score in the 75th minute. Goal by Pennant. 4-2 United

lysglimt

Scout
And now we are seeing the true United U18. Russ with Another goal. Unmarked header from 5 yards. 4-3 - and still 12 minutes to play

lysglimt

Scout
4-4 Flynn. It took 11 minutes to go from 4-1 to 4-4.

16th goal against in 355 minutes of football - we can't defend

jb8521

Our defence at this level is a complete joke, its embarrassing.
Throwing away games we should win is nothing new with Ryan as manager, it happened a lot at u16s level as well. He also seems to take a liking to certain players & dislike to others & their performances don't seem to matter. Hughes was excellent in the few games he played last season yet this season Ryan has played Bejger out of position ahead of him & Neville who looks completely out of his depth ahead of him. Hardley has looked decent individually at CB when he's played there yet Hockenhull is starting every game at CB ahead of both Hardley & Begjer despite making numerous mistakes which means Hardley playing out of position at lb where we'd be better with Hughes or Dodgson if Devine isn't available. Add this to the fact that he's decided McCann who mainly played as a winger last season is our best option at DM despite him having very little defensive instincts & it's not surprising the defence has looked poor. The shape of the team is generally terrible because players are playing out of position just to get them on the pitch rather than playing our best option for the position & rotating. None of this is new with Ryan but it was masked last season because Greenwood was scoring enough for us to win most games but it's a shame to see because this is a hugely talented group with more strength in depth than we've had in years.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Throwing away games we should win is nothing new with Ryan as manager, it happened a lot at u16s level as well. He also seems to take a liking to certain players & dislike to others & their performances don't seem to matter. Hughes was excellent in the few games he played last season yet this season Ryan has played Bejger out of position ahead of him & Neville who looks completely out of his depth ahead of him. Hardley has looked decent individually at CB when he's played there yet Hockenhull is starting every game at CB ahead of both Hardley & Begjer despite making numerous mistakes which means Hardley playing out of position at lb where we'd be better with Hughes or Dodgson if Devine isn't available. Add this to the fact that he's decided McCann who mainly played as a winger last season is our best option at DM despite him having very little defensive instincts & it's not surprising the defence has looked poor. The shape of the team is generally terrible because players are playing out of position just to get them on the pitch rather than playing our best option for the position & rotating. None of this is new with Ryan but it was masked last season because Greenwood was scoring enough for us to win most games but it's a shame to see because this is a hugely talented group with more strength in depth than we've had in years.
I remember asking you about him when he was first appointed, and you said whilst the football was mostly okay his teams struggle holding onto leads, if you could see that on the outside why did nobody in the club pick up on it and bring somebody else in to replace McKenna, or was it just a case of 'job for the boys' ?

And have you heard anything about Mipo Odubenko, and whether he's found himself another club yet?

jb8521

I remember asking you about him when he was first appointed, and you said whilst the football was mostly okay his teams struggle holding onto leads, if you could see that on the outside why did nobody in the club pick up on it and bring somebody else in to replace McKenna, or was it just a case of 'job for the boys' ?

And have you heard anything about Mipo Odubenko, and whether he's found himself another club yet?
I've no idea, I'm sure he's a good coach but it's a fairly obvious flaw so you'd think they would have at least brought in someone who is better tactically alongside him. No as far as I know Odubeko still hasn't joined anyone.

lysglimt

Scout
I think Hockenhull has improved - but I still don't rate him that highly, but I can understand why we play him because he is one of few tall players in our side. We are awful at set-pieces with Hockenhull on the pitch, and it makes me wonder how we would be without him.

khoazany

I think Hockenhull has improved - but I still don't rate him that highly, but I can understand why we play him because he is one of few tall players in our side. We are awful at set-pieces with Hockenhull on the pitch, and it makes me wonder how we would be without him.
No point of being tall if your positioning + awareness are terrible.

lysglimt

Scout
No point of being tall if your positioning + awareness are terrible.
No but its better to be tall and have horrible positioning and awareness -. than being small and have horrible positioning and awareness :)