U18s - Manchester United vs Sunderland

lysglimt

Scout
Kiernan gets past the keeper but Helm clears the ball on the line with a gliding tackle. That is the closest Sunderland have been

OohAahMartial

Elanga my MOM, Mengi also stood out.

Not sure if it was just the proportions on my stream, but Shoretire looked kind of rotund.

Boring game tbh.

khoazany

Elanga won't stay in the U18s for long with this kind of performance.

Stanley and Helm have improved a lot from last season. Good to see.

GJNJ

Elanga my MOM, Mengi also stood out.

Not sure if it was just the proportions on my stream, but Shoretire looked kind of rotund.

Boring game tbh.
It was scrapy the first and last 20 minutes.
Agree with you on Elanga MOM, this was the first u18 game I have watch and Mengi really impressed me. Both look physically ready for the u21s.

Shoretire did look a bit on the chunky side but I think it's probably just because he is short/stocky.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It was scrapy the first and last 20 minutes.
Agree with you on Elanga MOM, this was the first u18 game I have watch and Mengi really impressed me. Both look physically ready for the u21s.

Shoretire did look a bit on the chunky side but I think it's probably just because he is short/stocky.
Should start calling him Shola Shortbread.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Elanga the best player in the first half. Stanley was very anonymous the first 20 but was really good the last 25. Hockenhull was surprisingly good - the last time I saw him, he looked a bit clumsy. Now he looked composed and strong in the tackles. A bit Pallister-like. Helm was really good in the central of the pitch - got involved in a lot of tackles. Devine on the left-back also had a very good first half.
Word for word.

Class of 63

Sourness
Very impressive at times, apart from McCann(caught in possession in dangerous areas too often) and Haygarth every starter rated 7 or more, I don't know if Haygarth had been playing up top in pre-season, or he was just played there today to get him much needed match fitness.

See the official website still hasn't listed Dillon Hoogewerf yet, no surprise there.

And we kept a clean sheet. No seriously.

lysglimt

Scout
Very impressive at times, apart from McCann(caught in possession in dangerous areas too often) and Haygarth every starter rated 7 or more, I don't know if Haygarth had been playing up top in pre-season, or he was just played there today to get him much needed match fitness.

See the official website still hasn't listed Dillon Hoogewerf yet, no surprise there.

And we kept a clean sheet. No seriously.
My player rating

Mastny - 6 - not a lot to do.

Devine - 8 - combined a lot with Elanga. Solid defensively and good coming forward.
Mengi - 7 - didn't make any errors, but was not tested a lot by a poor Sunderland-side. Rock solid
Hockenhull - 7 - surprisingly good. A lot faster than he looks, had a header cleared of the line
Bejger - 6 - solid defensively but showed that he is a central defender and not a right back. His crossing was...questionable.

Elanga - 8 - the best player on the pitch. Sunderland couldn't contain him, will score a lot of goals this season
McCann - 7 - lost the ball a few times but was the guy who saved the ball on the line (Not Helm as I thought from the start). Won a lot of tackles
Helm - 8 - very energetic and won the ball over and over again. Composed on the ball
Stanley - 7 - very good for 25 minutes, won the penalty and almost scored. Extremely hard working
Wellens - 6 scored a simple tap in and worked hard in midfield, but not as efficient as his teammates in midfield

Haygarth - 6 - not a striker and it showed. Decent effort, good build-up play but you never expected him to score.

Class of 63

Sourness
My player rating

Mastny - 6 - not a lot to do.

Devine - 8 - combined a lot with Elanga. Solid defensively and good coming forward.
Mengi - 7 - didn't make any errors, but was not tested a lot by a poor Sunderland-side. Rock solid
Hockenhull - 7 - surprisingly good. A lot faster than he looks, had a header cleared of the line
Bejger - 6 - solid defensively but showed that he is a central defender and not a right back. His crossing was...questionable.

Elanga - 8 - the best player on the pitch. Sunderland couldn't contain him, will score a lot of goals this season
McCann - 7 - lost the ball a few times but was the guy who saved the ball on the line (Not Helm as I thought from the start). Won a lot of tackles
Helm - 8 - very energetic and won the ball over and over again. Composed on the ball
Stanley - 7 - very good for 25 minutes, won the penalty and almost scored. Extremely hard working
Wellens - 6 scored a simple tap in and worked hard in midfield, but not as efficient as his teammates in midfield

Haygarth - 6 - not a striker and it showed. Decent effort, good build-up play but you never expected him to score.
Agree with most of that, having watched it again I was maybe a bit harsh on McCann, it's a new position for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the best player on the pitch if he plays there again against Wolves(away)next Saturday.

Cregagh 68

Apart from his goal and assist what impressed me most about Anthony Elanga was his composure in front of goal. On at least 3 other occasions he made the keeper pull of smart saves. Last year he would get in good positions and his finishing was quite erratic. As he matures I’m sure his end product will improve. Look forward to seeing a lot more performances of this standard from him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I doubt Mejbri plays much in the U18s. Despite being 16 years old he'll probably feature in the U23s. He might even get a cameo in the first team.
He'll start the season at under 18 level and if his performances merit a promotion then I'm sure he will be promoted.