U18s - Manchester United vs West Brom

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Maybe you were only joking but I see it posted so much on here about how the group is shit but the exact same players were being called very talented just last year for the u18s.

Yea the u23s isn't good enough for development. So the u18s which is an even worse level is better?
That’s not exactly true. There are some in the 23s who were not part of last years 18s, and probably won’t go anywhere. The likes of Redmond, Olusunde, Kehinde and co (although I think Kehinde is alright).

The team also seems to line up with too many defensive players to me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They're not the last year batch. They're from the batch which was 30 points behind City at one point.
I was wondering about that actually. Our U-18s were great last year but - iirc - pretty fecking ropey for a season or two before that.

Is our current U-23 squad mainly made up of players that were part of underwhelming U-18 teams from a few years back? Or is it a very young team, full of last year’s U-18s, who just need to grow up a bit?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I was wondering about that actually. Our U-18s were great last year but - iirc - pretty fecking ropey in previous seasons. Is our current U-23 squad mainly made up of players that were part of underwhelming U-18 teams from a few years back? Or is it a very young team, full of last year’s U-18s, who just need to grow up a bit?
It's bit of half. The last year u18 have been gradually introduced into the team since January before that it used to be mostly previous year batches.

O'Connor, Chong and Gomes seem to have been permanently promoted to u23s now.

Robbo*

That’s not exactly true. There are some in the 23s who were not part of last years 18s, and probably won’t go anywhere. The likes of Redmond, Olusunde, Kehinde and co (although I think Kehinde is alright).

Yeah and I think the manager makes a lot of difference too, just seems to be a bit of a negative atmosphere at U23 at moment but hopefully some of the fresh blood changes that - just not certain it's best time to promote Greenwood, for example.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yeah and I think the manager makes a lot of difference too, just seems to be a bit of a negative atmosphere at U23 at moment but hopefully some of the fresh blood changes that - just not certain it's best time to promote Greenwood, for example.
Definitely. There are times over the past couple of seasons where I’ve seen the reserves line up with 7 or 8 defenders.

It’s an awkward age group as typically, the best ones will either be torn between the first-team or on loan. Promising U18s are then put in there with ‘the rest’, and if that happens to be largely defenders, the team becomes very unbalanced. At U18s level, players will not typically be in the first team squad or on loan, so the coach has greater scope to mould a more balanced team.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
They're not the last year batch. They're from the batch which was 30 points behind City at one point.

The most played players in last years u18s are largely with the u23s already except for George Tanner. Who is a RB and the u23s have Joe Riley who is anything but shit. The u18s regulars Whelan, Kenyon, Boonen, Warren, Hamilton, Bohui, Buffonge, Gribbin, Dearnley, Roshaun is back and now Chong, Gomes and O'Connor are fully promoted too. That is pretty much the entire batch. Plus older lads like Riley, Demi, Wilson, and CBJ back now too. 4 older lads who have been rated very highly and dominated u23s level in the past.

Kehinde is a decent player, better centrally than out wide. Redmond and Olosunde are a bit shit but that is two players. Just look at that group and a whole host of them have been called talented in the past. But now the group is called shit somehow. And it was mentioned for next year for Greenwood. By which the likes of Barlow, Burkart, Tanner etc. will all be in the u23s too.

The team is setup horribly. The defence is a shambles and the attack has no cohesion. And yet Bohui, Boonen and Buffonge were 3 of the u18s lauded attack line just last season. So have the group all just suddenly lost all their talent? I don't think so. The manager just hasn't been good enough, nowhere close to it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The most played players in last years u18s are largely with the u23s already except for George Tanner. Who is a RB and the u23s have Joe Riley who is anything but shit. The u18s regulars Whelan, Kenyon, Boonen, Warren, Hamilton, Bohui, Buffonge, Gribbin, Dearnley, Roshaun is back and now Chong, Gomes and O'Connor are fully promoted too. That is pretty much the entire batch. Plus older lads like Riley, Demi, Wilson, and CBJ back now too. 4 older lads who have been rated very highly and dominated u23s level in the past.

Kehinde is a decent player, better centrally than out wide. Redmond and Olosunde are a bit shit but that is two players. Just look at that group and a whole host of them have been called talented in the past. But now the group is called shit somehow. And it was mentioned for next year for Greenwood. By which the likes of Barlow, Burkart, Tanner etc. will all be in the u23s too.

The team is setup horribly. The defence is a shambles and the attack has no cohesion. And yet Bohui, Boonen and Buffonge were 3 of the u18s lauded attack line just last season. So have the group all just suddenly lost all their talent? I don't think so. The manager just hasn't been good enough, nowhere close to it.
You are right in a lot of what you say.

I think there is a line with ‘have been rated highly in the past’ though. Most of that lot will never make it here. Many have gone on loan to a lower level and been unimpressive too, and now they are just stuck. The likes of Wilson and CBJ will not make it here, and are just passing the time.

I agree that the manager doesn’t appear to have a plan though, although I do believe it is a very difficult group to coach for reasons I gave in last post.

fitzmertz

Indy Boonen has not started for a while and Buffonge hardly gets on the pitch, while Redmond plays regularly I would like to see Callum Whelan play in his position with Hamilton beside him. They looked very good together last season in McKenna’s team.