U18's: Middlesbrough (H)

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
The Burnley defence and Keeper are mounting a heroic rearguard action so far.
City currently lacking a cutting edge up front.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
60 gone. Same scoreline, same pattern as 1st half.
One of those games where City could concede a smash and grab goal if this continues.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Game now consists of City passing the ball around the back line eating up the clock with Burnley following them around hoping for a passing error but not challenging them.
All in the teeming rain.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Over now.
1-0 City

Burnley threw kitchen sink in stoppage time but to no avail.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What’s more important is trying to integrate our youngsters into first team football.

As Brian Kidd said when he was here,‘it’s nice to win things at this level but more important we bring them through.’

So congratulations to City but I look forward to some of ours breaking through

mancsarered

What’s more important is trying to integrate our youngsters into first team football.

As Brian Kidd said when he was here,‘it’s nice to win things at this level but more important we bring them through.’

So congratulations to City but I look forward to some of ours breaking through

This. The downfall of La Masia have been heavily blamed on results-based management at the youth level.

Should be about technical development, not points totals. Would've loved to win it though ;)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This. The downfall of La Masia have been heavily blamed on results-based management at the youth level.

Should be about technical development, not points totals. Would've loved to win it though ;)
Indeed. Do you think we’re progressing though?( youth set up that is)

mancsarered

Indeed. Do you think we’re progressing though?( youth set up that is)
I don't think you can measure the progress of the youth setup without hindsight. Seeing a 16 & 17 year old improve their game over the course of one season as the youth level could often be misleading. Otherwise, I'd say Charlie McNeil is a nailed-on future golden boot winner.

I wouldn't pass judgement on an academy class until 2-3 years later, unless of course you get a couple of players make a Rashford-like jump.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Having spoken to over 500 former United Academy players...virtually all of them said playing in a winning team and winning leagues definitely helped their development.

So while there is a lot of discussion about 'development over results', there is hard data that suggests you need both at U/18 level. In addition, we have had the most success with juniors in our first team when those juniors have dominated the youth leagues they played in.

Obviously below this level, results aren't as critical.

Prodigal7

Having spoken to over 500 former United Academy players...virtually all of them said playing in a winning team and winning leagues definitely helped their development.

So while there is a lot of discussion about 'development over results', there is hard data that suggests you need both at U/18 level. In addition, we have had the most success with juniors in our first team when those juniors have dominated the youth leagues they played in.

Obviously below this level, results aren't as critical.
Whilst winning the league is definitely better, I think being runner up still means there's a winning mentality in there. Being 1 point away from top at the end of the season doesn't take away from our win record in the league.

I'm more concerned with our record in the FAYC, which is no where near where it should be. It would help the club if all players of the relevant age played in it, even Greenwood when he was in the first team IMO. Hopefully Shoretire, Mcneill, Hugill etc play in it next year and aren't excluded to focus on U23s football because if we want to win it and beat the likes of Chelsea, City etc then they'll need to play.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Whilst winning the league is definitely better, I think being runner up still means there's a winning mentality in there. Being 1 point away from top at the end of the season doesn't take away from our win record in the league.

I'm more concerned with our record in the FAYC, which is no where near where it should be. It would help the club if all players of the relevant age played in it, even Greenwood when he was in the first team IMO. Hopefully Shoretire, Mcneill, Hugill etc play in it next year and aren't excluded to focus on U23s football because if we want to win it and beat the likes of Chelsea, City etc then they'll need to play.
I agree totally.

Switching on/off a winning mindset is incredibly hard to do...at U/18 level it should be switched on and then even ramped up further for the FA youth Cup. Our record over the last decade has been abysmal given our pedigree in the competition and the quality of players we have.