U18s: Middlesbrough vs United

Bertie Wooster

Was looking forward to watching Lacey but I guess at his age then, having also played Monday, it's not worth risking another U18 appearance so soon afterwards.

Is Williams playing LB? I've seen him drop into there at times. Interesting to see if he becomes a winger who turns into an attacking FB, or if it's just the usual part of their development to play in other positions at times.

Hoping to see Biancheri off the bench at some point.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Was looking forward to watching Lacey but I guess at his age then, having also played Monday, it's not worth risking another U18 appearance so soon afterwards.

Is Williams playing LB? I've seen him drop into there at times. Interesting to see if he becomes a winger who turns into an attacking FB, or if it's just the usual part of their development to play in other positions at times.

Hoping to see Biancheri off the bench at some point.
Yeap, add the England games to that and I’d say it’s perfectly normal to give him a rest, as you said.

top1whoisman

Scout
Looks like it’s a pretty fluid formation today.

Harrison

Ogunneye - - - Munro - - - Nolan

Kamason-Fitzgerald-McAllister-Williams

Scanlon

Musa - - - Wheatley​

…with Ogunneye moving to DM/CM in possession.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Good bit of passing from United, Scanlon forces the Boro keeper into making a decent save. The goals were somewhat against the run of play but we’ve improved since.

top1whoisman

Scout
A perfect cross from Williams with his ”weaker” right foot, Scanlon misses a sitter. Amother decent ball with his left a minute later.

Ethan Williams securing the Youth Player of the Year award with these kind of performances?

Bertie Wooster

A perfect cross from Williams with his weaker right foot, Scanlon misses a sitter. Amother decent ball with his left a minute later.

Ethan Williams securing the Youth Player of the Year award with these kind of performances?
Yes, I think so. He's been a regular threat on the left and would certainly be a valid call for Youth Player of the Year.

What do you make of James Nolan? He's certainly versatile, having played pretty much everywhere across the pitch. He never really looks any better or worse wherever he plays to me. Whether that's a good thing - showing a solid versatility - or a negative thing, as he doesn't really have a #1 position or anywhere he really shine, I'm not sure. I'd be very surprised if he made it with us, but just can't work out what level of a player he is below that?

top1whoisman

Scout
Yes, I think so. He's been a regular threat on the left and would certainly be a valid call for Youth Player of the Year.

What do you make of James Nolan? He's certainly versatile, having played pretty much everywhere across the pitch. He never really looks any better or worse wherever he plays to me. Whether that's a good thing - showing a solid versatility - or a negative thing, as he doesn't really have a #1 position or anywhere he really shine, I'm not sure. I'd be very surprised if he made it with us, but just can't work out what level of a player he is below that?
I think that’s very much Nolan’s strength, to be able to slot into any position and always bring at least a 7/10 performance regardless of the role.I mean yes, at some stage he needs to find his best position but there will be time for that.

I’d rate him and Norkett behind Williams for the award this season. Then again one could argue that it tells something about the injuries and a somewhat lack of big talents in this team.

Very much doubt he’ll have enough to become a first team player here but I’m optimistic in him securing a contract somewhere down the leagues. Perhaps a loan quite early too?

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
With better finishing from his teammates Williams would have 2 goals and 2 assists within the first 35 minutes. Another beauty of a ball to Musa who heads it wide from 5 yards out.

Oh shit, Nolan in huge pain.

top1whoisman

Scout
He reminds me a bit of Lee O'Connor. Many tipped O'Connor to make the breakthrough at United, but it didn't happen.
I’d say O’Connor was considered a much bigger talent both before he signed for us and in our U18s. Haven’t seen many claiming Nolan would ever ”make it” in terms of making a debut for United, let alone becoming a regular.

I am surprised at how O’Connor’s early career has panned out, but it’s another example of not being able to say who makes it and who doesn’t.

top1whoisman

Scout
HT 0-2

Good half from United with most of the danger coming from the left hand side. Boro created nothing really, very dominant from us so far.

Remember the geese

I’d say O’Connor was considered a much bigger talent both before he signed for us and in our U18s. Haven’t seen many claiming Nolan would ever ”make it” in terms of making a debut for United, let alone becoming a regular.

I am surprised at how O’Connor’s early career has panned out, but it’s another example of not being able to say who makes it and who doesn’t.
Yeah agreed regarding the hype surrounding O'Connor. I just think that both players are/were good footballers within our academy and versatile.

Very true. Many of the much lauded talents fail to reach the levels that fans feel they are obligated to.

Bertie Wooster

Thanks for the responses about Nolan. Agree with them all. :)

Great to see any of our teams (1st or youths) score with early chances and so get off to a good start. Frustrating not to take advantage of some great chances after that but 2-0 is a fair scoreline.

top1whoisman

Scout
Well taken. Brilliant ball? Went straight to defender who headed him through! Better performance than last week.
A very well-targeted pass which the defender couldn’t reach to clear -> Williams was through.

top1whoisman

Scout
A very good move from Kamason & McAllister on the right, the Boro defense blocks Musa’s shot to a corner. Ogunneye almost scores with his left after the corner.

top1whoisman

Scout
Missin & Biancheri replace McAllister and Kamason. Missin goes to RWB, Biancheri up top with Wheatley with Musa behind them as Scanlon moves deeper in midfield.

top1whoisman

Scout
Williams is on fire this afternoon. Wins another free kick and almost gets his hat trick, just over the bar.

top1whoisman

Scout
81’ Devaney on for Scanlon.

Musa very close to a goal from the edge of the area. He was really quiet the first half but coming alive late on.

top1whoisman

Scout
FT 0-2

A very solid & complete performance from United. Boro failed to create one chance. No shots on goal if I remember correctly.

The usual suspects when it comes to United’s best players. Nolan was very good again, Ogunneye’s defending in second half was very good. But Williams the obvious POTM. Could’ve had a hat trick and as said he should’ve got two assists too as he created two open goal chances.

Beaucoup

Boro very poor today, won’t get an easier game than that this season

dutchred

Am I misreading something or are the under 21's also playing tonight? If so it seems strage that both are playing at the same time. If it is so I hope thet Mainoo and Iqbal get some time. It's nice to be training with the first team but they hardly seem to get any playing time

top1whoisman

Scout
Am I misreading something or are the under 21's also playing tonight? If so it seems strage that both are playing at the same time. If it is so I hope thet Mainoo and Iqbal get some time. It's nice to be training with the first team but they hardly seem to get any playing time
Yeah away at Brighton at 19:00 BST. Not live on MUTV due to the PL game being played at the same time.

I think there's next to no chance of Iqbal playing as he returned from Spain very late yesterday/very early this morning. Our midfield is starting be back fit again so hopefully he will get some minutes in the PL2 soon. Mainoo is surely carrying an injury as he hasn't been in the matchday squad for either the first team or the U21s for a while now.

dutchred

Yeah away at Brighton at 19:00 BST. Not live on MUTV due to the PL game being played at the same time.

I think there's next to no chance of Iqbal playing as he returned from Spain very late yesterday. Our midfield is starting be back fit again so hopefully he will get some minutes in the PL2 soon. Mainoo is surely carrying an injury as he hasn't been in the matchday squad for either the first team or the U21s for a while now.
Thanks for the info