U18s: Sunderland vs United

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
12:30 BST - live on MUTV.

They've had a brilliant season. We beat them 1-0 in the reverse fixture at Carrington in December.

United top scorers:
Norkett 9
Williams 7
Musa 6
Nolan 5
Scanlon 3
Wheatley 3

Sunderland top scorers:
Jake Waters 13 (4th best in the U18 PL)
Mason Cotcher 9
Ethan Moore 8
Oliver Bainbridge 6
Tom Watson 5

lysglimt

Scout
3 years ago - Sunderland was the worst team that ever played in the U18-division - they lost more or less every single game - now they are 2nd. Things change :) As I recall, it was after that season we picked Hugill and Pye from them

top1whoisman

Scout
Lacey sets up Wheatley who misses a wide open net. A decent start from us, a decent match in general.

Gungerz

Decent first-half. Considering the pitch isn't the greatest I think they've managed to keep the ball really well. Just need to create a few more chances off the back of the possession.

top1whoisman

Scout
Decent first-half. Considering the pitch isn't the greatest I think they've managed to keep the ball really well. Just need to create a few more chances off the back of the possession.
A decent half of U18s football. Two good teams going at it.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Wheatley presses welll at the half way line and breaks. Rounds the keeper and slots home for 4.

Not sure what to make of Wheatley yet.

top1whoisman

Scout
Wheatley presses welll at the half way line and breaks. Rounds the keeper and slots home for 4.

Not sure what to make of Wheatley yet.
Doesn’t really fill me with excitement, lacks end product. Norkett who’s very limited scores three times as much in the same team.

But of course he’s got time.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Doesn’t really fill me with excitement, lacks end product. Norkett who’s very limited scores three times as much in the same team.

But of course he’s got time.
Yeah I feel similar. Maybe needs to grow into his frame a bit more and we'll see what he can be in 2 years

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
3-4 92'

Header pushed straight up from HArrison and Aljofree heads it into the roof of the net from under the crossbar

Borninthe80ts

It was the first full youth game I’ve seen for a while and I was impressed by a number of aspects of our play.

Firstly to see us playing 3 at the back at this level was a surprise but pleasing. I’m hoping we continue with this tactical flexibility as it can only help improve the players. I was also impressed with the flexibility of the individuals in the system. Players like Nolan and Fitzgerald swapping positions and Oggy and Kamason on the right. Also Williams showed promise in a new position.

As well as those already mentioned Aljofree also stood out to me, composure on the ball and puts a foot in. Of course Lacey impressed too. When he develops a quick release after his tricks he will be even more effective. Good stuff!

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
It was the first full youth game I’ve seen for a while and I was impressed by a number of aspects of our play.

Firstly to see us playing 3 at the back at this level was a surprise but pleasing. I’m hoping we continue with this tactical flexibility as it can only help improve the players. I was also impressed with the flexibility of the individuals in the system. Players like Nolan and Fitzgerald swapping positions and Oggy and Kamason on the right. Also Williams showed promise in a new position.

As well as those already mentioned Aljofree also stood out to me, composure on the ball and puts a foot in. Of course Lacey impressed too. When he develops a quick release after his tricks he will be even more effective. Good stuff!
Thank you, it's nice to get first hand reports on the academy teams.