U18s: United vs Everton

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Kickoff 19:00 BST, live on MUTV.

First of the double header against Everton, the last fixture of the season away on Merseyside on Saturday.

Gungerz

There's an U18 defender at Salford called Jacob Lara, so it may well be him. That or it's a very dodgy spelling because there's no Lara in the lower age groups as far as I know.

top1whoisman

Scout
There's an U18 defender at Salford called Jacob Lara, so it may well be him. That or it's a very dodgy spelling because there's no Lara in the lower age groups as far as I know.
Yeah it's him. Think he turns 19 in October. He was at Stalybridge Celtic on work experience earlier this year and played 80 minutes in total for them in the Northern Premier League. Started out as a striker apparently but he's transitioned into a CB.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Really good finish from Mather, 1-0. A nice pullback from Nolan.

Quite an even opening half an hour without no real big chances for either team. Wheatley had a decent one early on but missed it totally.

Ogunneye has been strong as a CB, compensates his lack of height nicely with how he plays. Two good saves from Harrison so far.

Pericles

Really good finish from Mather, 1-0. A nice pullback from Nolan.

Quite an even opening half an hour without no real big chances for either team. Wheatley had a decent one early on but missed it totally.

Ogunneye has been strong as a CB, compensates his lack of height nicely with how he plays. Two good saves from Harrison so far.
Ogunneye for his long term good needs to be moved from CB. There is no way he makes it in top flight football as a CB with that height.

top1whoisman

Scout
49' 1-1

Free kick into the area, Harrison comes out but the Everton player beats him in the air and heads it in.

Bigsid

49' 1-1

Free kick into the area, Harrison comes out but the Everton player beats him in the air and heads it in.
Cant believe how many goals have been given away this season. Was same on Saturday.

top1whoisman

Scout
Ogunneye & Wheatley off, Musa & Kamason on. Poor start to the second half from United, but we’ve improved after the hour mark.

top1whoisman

Scout
Ogunneye for his long term good needs to be moved from CB. There is no way he makes it in top flight football as a CB with that height.
Then again he’s 17. It’s not like he can’t grow. And you have players like Martínez. Anyway he can also play as a RB.

top1whoisman

Scout
Cant believe how many goals have been given away this season. Was same on Saturday.
Nice to see you pop up again with a positive message. Missed you here on Saturday when we won, but I understand you couldn’t make it as you were playing at the same time. Congrats on the title.

top1whoisman

Scout
89’

Musa breaks away from the halfway line when the Everton defender does a Gerrard. Should’ve put that away, but full credit to the Everton keeper who came out and saved it.

top1whoisman

Scout
FT 1-1

90+4’ Everton striker gets a similar chance as Musa did, but he lifts it wide.

Didn’t deserve more. Had the chances to win it in second half but failed to take any of them.

Ogunneye by far the best United player on the pitch. Mather was decent, so was Nolan. Harrison was brilliant apart from their goal where he should’ve done better. Lara was strong, aggressive and solid in defense but difficult to say much more after only 90 minutes.

Last match of the season away against this lot on Saturday.

Pericles

Then again he’s 17. It’s not like he can’t grow. And you have players like Martínez. Anyway he can also play as a RB.
Which is why he should be learning how to play RB in the academy. Martinez is an exception to the rule. That he did it does not mean we should start stockpiling shorties at CB. Most of Ogunleye's games i see him playing CB and RCB not RB. That is a recipe for producing a talented player who is not fit for purpose. Too small to be CB and too technically limited to be RB.

top1whoisman

Scout
Which is why he should be learning how to play RB in the academy. Martinez is an exception to the rule. That he did it does not mean we should start stockpiling shorties at CB. Most of Ogunleye's games i see him playing CB and RCB not RB. That is a recipe for producing a talented player who is not fit for purpose. Too small to be CB and too technically limited to be RB.
Being 17 he has plenty of time to play different positions or even learn a new one. And he has already been learning how to play RB.

Can’t think of a player who didn’t make it because our academy staff played him in the wrong position.

He could also be 185cm in a couple of years. Yes Licha is an exception, doesn’t mean there can’t be others.

Regarding the bolded part, might as well give up on him then.

Last edited:

Pericles

Being 17 he has plenty of time to play different positions or even learn a new one. And he has already been learning how to play RB.

Can’t think of a player who didn’t make it because our academy staff played him in the wrong position.

He could also be 185cm in a couple of years. Yes Licha is an exception, doesn’t mean there can’t be others.

Regarding the bolded part, might as well give up on him then.
Regarding the boldest, I said it is a recipe for that. If we keep playing him at CB rather than giving him developmental minutes at RB where he has bigger chance of succeeding in senior football, he is going to turn 20 having spent little or no time honing his RB skills and too small to play CB in senior football.

top1whoisman

Scout
Regarding the boldest, I said it is a recipe for that. If we keep playing him at CB rather than giving him developmental minutes at RB where he has bigger chance of succeeding in senior football, he is going to turn 20 having spent little or no time honing his RB skills and too small to play CB in senior football.
You think there is a chance that the academy coaches have better information about his abilities and best position than you and me?

We also don’t see what happens in training. Or where and how he’s played before he got to the U18s.

ps. He’s played three out of his eight matches this season as a RB. 6/9 last season (might’ve been more, not sure what position he played in those three sub appearances).

ps2. Baresi, Cannavaro, Puyol, Thiago Silva, Aké, Guéhi… Exceptions yes, but also proof that there are short centre backs at the top.

Last edited:

Gungerz

Ogunneye is normally a RB & has been playing CB recently because of injuries.

Last edited:

jb8521

He normally plays RB, he's only played a few games at CB recently because Fredrickson, Jackson, Kingdon, Parker have been injured and Aljofree has been on loan and mainly playing for the u21s recently

Pericles

He normally plays RB, he's only played a few games at CB recently because Fredrickson, Jackson, Kingdon, Parker have been injured and Aljofree has been on loan and mainly playing for the u21s recently

Ok then. I hope the regulars regain their fitness so he can go back to his proper position.

Borninthe80ts

Unfortunately I missed this game but it sounds like a similar performance from us as most of the season. It’s good to hear though that Mather is continuing his return from injury with a goal and their were good performances from others too.

In regards to Ogunneye, I know the perception is to nail down a position from early but I see his flexibility as an asset at this age especially. Time on the pitch can be valuable in an unfamiliar position and I think can help tactically and with positioning. Traits that stood out to me was a good pass and move game and an ability to carry the ball. Maybe a deep midfield position can be tried?

The only issue for me next season is that the team is lacking a forward similar to the first team. Either a mobile all rounder that can help bring the other goal scorers in the team to build play, or a clinical and physical number 9.