U18s: United vs Leeds

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
2’ 1-0. Scanlon with a strong finish inside the area with his left foot, Moorhouse assist.

top1whoisman

Scout
Lacey with some filthy stuff in the box. Nice to see him in a more central role.

top1whoisman

Scout
35’ Jackson forced off, looked like quite a nasty ankle twist. Jayce Fitzgerald on as CB.

top1whoisman

Scout
45+3’

Leeds equalise deservedly. We’ve been sloppy in possession and lacking a bit of fight against a physical Leeds side.

Bertie Wooster

Frustrating time to concede but, as you say, it had been looking likely with some sloppy play as the half progressed.

top1whoisman

Scout
Frustrating time to concede but, as you say, it had been looking likely with some sloppy play as the half progresses.
Yeah, a bright start and we could've scored another with some of that attacking play, but Leeds got stronger as the half progressed.

Love watching Lacey play but the next thing he's got to develop is the decision-making. Lacks a bit of humility to pass it to a teammate for a tap-in and wants to raise his megs count when he could advance the play. Nothing worrying though, he's just turned 16 and we've seen this from many young players with flair before, but I'm expecting him to be more ruthless next season.

Bertie Wooster

Completely agree about Lacey. Love watching that type of player and looks full of talent but obviously, at his age, decision making still a work in progress. And, yeah, is guilty of over playing / being a little too greedy at times. But plenty of time to improve on that and great to see someone with such skill and vision coming through.

What do you make of Kamason so far? He gets up and down well and looks decent enough on the ball. But I don't remember much attacking end product he's provided yet in his U18 games? And how is he defensively? It's a while since I've seen him and don't remember much either good or bad really?

top1whoisman

Scout
Completely agree about Lacey. Love watching that type of player and looks full of talent but obviously, at his age, decision making still a work in progress. And, yeah, is guilty of over playing / being a little too greedy at times. But plenty of time to improve on that and great to see someone with such skill and vision coming through.

What do you make of Kamason so far? He gets up and down well and looks decent enough on the ball. But I don't remember much attacking end product he's provided yet in his U18 games? And how is he defensively? It's a while since I've seen him and don't remember much either h
good or bad really?
Absolutely. Remember MG and a few others being "guilty" of similar stuff. It is as it should be, he's been encouraged to play to his strengths, show his skills and express himself on the pitch. The next natural step is developing the tactical awareness, decision-making and game management. And to become even better at riding tackles, he pulls away from challenges quite a lot. Plenty of time for that. Such an exciting player.

Regarding Kamason, it's a bit difficult to judge as he's played a total of 273 minutes this season. Supposed to pretty talented and was part of the England U16s setup too. Been a bit hot and cold in the rare opportunities I've had to watch him play. That half kind of summed him up as I think there's a player there but the lack of minutes is obvious. Plays it quite safe which again is kind of understandable. Hopefully he stays fit and gets a decent run of games before the season ends. A big 2023/24 season for him too, really needs to stay fit to keep on developing.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

Absolutely. Remember MG and a few others being "guilty" of similar stuff. It is as it should be, he's been encouraged to play to his strengths, show his skills and express himself on the pitch. The next natural step is developing the tactical awareness, decision-making and game management. Plenty of time for that. Such an exciting player.

Regarding Kamason, it's a bit difficult to judge as he's played a total of 273 minutes this season. Supposed to pretty talented and was part of the England U16s setup too. Been a bit hot and cold in the rare opportunities I've had to watch him play. That half kind of summed him up as I think there's a player there but the lack of minutes is obvious. Plays it quite safe which again is kind of understandable. Hopefully he stays fit and gets a decent run of games before the season ends. A big 2023/24 season for him too, really needs to stay fit to keep on developing.
Thanks for that. I knew I hadn't seen much of him but hadn't realised he'd only played that amount of minutes.

As you say, hopefully he'll stay fit next season and we'll get a better idea of his ability if he gets a run of games and plays with some confidence.

top1whoisman

Scout
62’

Triple change for United. Mather, Missin & Wheatley on for Moorhouse, McAllister and Murray. Nice to see Mather back on the pitch.

A scrappy start to the second half. As we’ve done throughout the years, we really struggle against physical teams.

Leeds are creating some chances on the counter and are closer to scoring than we are at the moment. Norkett set one great chance for Moorhouse but he skied it.

Last edited:

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Norkett scores a lovely half volley and injures himself. 2-1

top1whoisman

Scout
72’ 2-1

Norkett hammers it home inside the box. Nice wind-assisted pass by Mather. Norkett hurts his foot as he scores.

top1whoisman

Scout
I can already see Norkett becoming a handful of a striker in the lower leagues. Presses for 90 minutes, strong as a bull and can finish well. Technically limited as well as in build-up but probably good enough to bang in 20 a season in League Two or the National League.

top1whoisman

Scout
Harrison has been by far our best player tonight, absolutely brilliant. And only one brainfart in possession.

Beaucoup

I can already see Norkett becoming a handful of a striker in the lower leagues. Presses for 90 minutes, strong as a bull and can finish well. Technically limited as well as in build-up but probably good enough to bang in 20 a season in League Two or the National League.
Been told he can leave

top1whoisman

Scout
No difference really in how Leeds’ first team and the academy teams play. Guess that’s how it should be too, but some of these challenges/tackles are a bit over the top. As usual in the U18 PL, refs are doing next to nothing to protect the players.

top1whoisman

Scout
FT 3-1

We were definitely the better side technically but Leeds made it hard for us. A good experience to come out on top in these physical battles too.

Harrison was superb in goal, out of the outfield players it’s hard to find standouts. I mean Lacey did his magic but drifted out of the game in the second half. Mather was really good and composed when he came on.

Bertie Wooster

FT 3-1

We were definitely the better side technically but Leeds made it hard for us. A good experience to come out on top in these physical battles too.

Harrison was superb in goal, out of the outfield players it’s hard to find standouts. I mean Lacey did his magic but drifted out of the game in the second half. Mather was really good and composed when he came on.
Yep. Good assessment.

Borninthe80ts

Appreciate the updates. It sounds like the boys had a good game overall to come out on top. It’s pleasing to see some of the long term injured players coming back and interesting too see how the team is affected.

It feels like this season was an experimental one, especially in light of new management coming in and said injuries. Hopefully next season we can build a bit more consistency with personnel which should help improve rhythm and development.