MATCHDAY 1
Group A
Norway 1-3 Portugal
Finland 0-1 Italy

Group B

Turkey 2-3 England
France 1-2 Ukraine

Shocking from the UEFA to play the tournament at this stage!!!! :mad::houllier:

No country will be sending anywhere near their strongest side.

England are without R.Sessegnon, Sancho, Foden, Mount, Nketiah, Nelson, McGuane (Barca), Bennetts (Mönchengladbach), J.Willock (Arsenal) or James (Chelsea).......uncapped U19 players like Gomes (Man Utd), Panzo (Monaco), Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea) or S.Sessegnon (Fulham) were made unavailable by their clubs too.
Dan Ashworth: "It's bitterly disappointing. We understand dilemmas clubs face around release of players. Calls on UEFA to schedule tournament at a sensible time for players, clubs and international teams."

Last edited:

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Why won't other countries send their strongest teams? Their leagues start later than ours.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Great start from us. Hopefully we can do well in this tournament so we can forget about missing the WC.

Classical Mechanic

Since they hold this tournament every year there is never a good time to hold it.
Pretty much all countries want the timing changed, to have it earlier in the summer. England have had 20 withdrawals! I think Portugal had 8 or so including Dalot.

I really have no clue how England will do as I haven’t seen most of them play before. It’s a good opportunity for these lads. Tom Bayliss is one player that I’ve seen mentioned on the England forums as someone who deserves a call so I would be interested to see how he does.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yup Portugal is missing a lot of important players too, guess Dalot is already part of the under 21's and other clubs didn't released their players because they want them to make the pre season even if they don't stay at those clubs after the pre season they are going to be loaned.

Yesterday game against Norway was hard, they had a very promissing player Haland I guess, don't know if he belongs to Juventus, Norway must be doing ok they already were present on the under 17's and this time they left Germany and Netherlands out.

Anyway the main goal should be to qualify to the Under 20 WC, UEFA needs to be more carefull doing tournaments at this stage when clubs are in pre season or facing qualifiers from Europa and Champions League.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Yup Portugal is missing a lot of important players too, guess Dalot is already part of the under 21's and other clubs didn't released their players because they want them to make the pre season even if they don't stay at those clubs after the pre season they are going to be loaned.

Yesterday game against Norway was hard, they had a very promissing player Haland I guess, don't know if he belongs to Juventus, Norway must be doing ok they already were present on the under 17's and this time they left Germany and Netherlands out.

Anyway the main goal should be to qualify to the Under 20 WC, UEFA needs to be more carefull doing tournaments at this stage when clubs are in pre season or facing qualifiers from Europa and Champions League.
Norway always done well in the U-X tournaments, we have lots of talented footballers, i just don't know what goes wrong when they take the step from juniors to adults (or how to say it.... you get the point :lol: ).

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Norway always done well in the U-X tournaments, we have lots of talented footballers, i just don't know what goes wrong when they take the step from juniors to adults (or how to say it.... you get the point :lol: ).
No what I want to say is that this under 17 and 19 teams beside finishing ahead teams like Germany and Netherlands, at least from what I watched yesterday they didn't played that stereotyped football associated to them, only playing direct and long balls, no they had good technical players, that kid Haland looked good, don't know if he already signed for Juve or if they are interested in him.

Angelinho

Engalnd 2-1 up at half time after conceding in the 2nd minute.

Any United players in?
Nope

The squad

Goalkeepers: Ellery Balcombe (Brentford), Jamie Cumming (Chelsea)

Defenders: Trevoh Chalobah (Ipswich Town, on loan from Chelsea), Nathan Ferguson (West Bromwich Albion), Ed Francis (Almere City, on loan from Manchester City), Tariq Lamptey (Chelsea), Dujon Sterling (Coventry City, on loan from Chelsea), Japhet Tanganga (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Tom Bayliss (Coventry City), Elliot Embleton (Sunderland), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Nya Kirby (Crystal Palace), Adam Lewis (Liverpool), Max Sanders (Brighton & Hove Albion), Marcus Tavernier (Middlesbrough), Kelland Watts (Newcastle United)

Forwards: Ben Brereton (Nottingham Forest), Niall Ennis (Wolverhampton Wanderers), George Hirst (OH Leuven), Ben Morris (Ipswich Town)

Venkman24

Lineup Prediction League Runner-up 2014/15
Watched the England game. Slow start but got better as the game went on. England used the same system as the seniors. Embleton the stand out with a great goal and 2 assists, 1 from a set piece and 1 from playing in Brereton.

---------Hirst Brereton
-----Tavernier Embleton
Lewis-----Sanders------Sterling
--Chalobah Watts Tanganga
-----------Balcombe

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Why won't other countries send their strongest teams? Their leagues start later than ours.
All clubs are now in pre-season and most clubs are needing the players to have a squad even if some players are far away from the 1st team.
Since they hold this tournament every year there is never a good time to hold it.
Between the end of the U17 Euros (May 20) and the start of World Cup (July 14)!?!
Watched the England game. Slow start but got better as the game went on. England used the same system as the seniors. Embleton the stand out with a great goal and 2 assists, 1 from a set piece and 1 from playing in Brereton.

---------Hirst Brereton
-----Tavernier Embleton
Lewis-----Sanders------Sterling
--Chalobah Watts Tanganga
-----------Balcombe
What a shame it isn't.....:(
-----------------Sancho-----------------------Brereton
------------------Mount-------------------------Foden
R.Sessegnon------------------McGuane-----------------Sterling
----------------Chalobah------Tanganga-------James
--------------------------------Balcombe
Subs: Lewis, J.Willock, Embleton, Bennetts, Nelson, Nketiah or Hirst
Sexy team :drool:

Anyway great start for the Young Lions.....special character win.

And that France have lost against Ukraine is :eek:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Italy and Portugal qualified to the semifinals and to the next under 20 WC, 5th time in a row for Portugal, not bad for a so called average team I guess ...

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Group A
Matchday 1
Norway 1-3 Portugal
Finland 0-1 Italy

Matchday 2
Finland 2-3 Norway
Portugal 2-3 Italy

Matchday 3
Italy 1-1 Norway
Portugal 3-0 Finland

1) Italy..........7....5-3
2) Portugal.....6....8-4
3) Norway......4....5-6
4) Finland....--0....2-7

Group B
Matchday 1
Turkey 2-3 England
France 1-2 Ukraine

Matchday 2

Turkey 0-5 France
Ukraine 1-1 England

1) England.---4....4-3
2) Ukraine.....4....3-2
3) France...---3....6-2
4) Turkey....--0....2-8

Matchday 3
England vs France
Ukraine vs Turkey

Very tough game for the Young Lions tomorrow :nervous:

jesperjaap

Well quite a few high profile names were missing from our squad. Overall I was impressed with Chabolah, Sterling and Adam Lewis in defence. Nobody in midfield or attack stood out especially though Tevernier was ok. We did get found out against a very goof French side today though. There pass and move was very impressive. Sarr already knew about but there were a good 3 or 4 other players that looked top quality for the age group too.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Maybe England is favourite vs Norway. For Portugal the best thing it happened was to finish behind Italy, better face Ukraine than France, even if Ukraine didn't lost any game.

Classical Mechanic

Well quite a few high profile names were missing from our squad. Overall I was impressed with Chabolah, Sterling and Adam Lewis in defence. Nobody in midfield or attack stood out especially though Tevernier was ok. We did get found out against a very goof French side today though. There pass and move was very impressive. Sarr already knew about but there were a good 3 or 4 other players that looked top quality for the age group too.
Sterling and Chalobah are the two players that would get in the first XI. Fair play to Chalobah for turning up to the tournament because he has more important stuff to be doing really. France were good but 4 of their goals came from individual errors which isn't good enough from England's point of view. I don't understand the obsession with sticking with 3 at the back either. Why not get more bodies in midfield when you are losing that battle so badly?

England need to regain some dignity against Norway and get that u20 World Cup spot.

Looking on the brightside, that so many England player's were withdrawn for the squad is indicative of their ability. Hudson Odoi was MOTM in Chelsea's pre-season game today. I've got a feeling Sarri will use him a fair bit this season.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sterling and Chalobah are the two players that would get in the first XI. Fair play to Chalobah for turning up to the tournament because he has more important stuff to be doing really. France were good but 4 of their goals came from individual errors which isn't good enough from England's point of view. I don't understand the obsession with sticking with 3 at the back either. Why not get more bodies in midfield when you are losing that battle so badly?

England need to regain some dignity against Norway and get that u20 World Cup spot.

Looking on the brightside, that so many England player's were withdrawn for the squad is indicative of their ability. Hudson Odoi was MOTM in Chelsea's pre-season game today. I've got a feeling Sarri will use him a fair bit this season.
UEFA should trade the under 17's with the under 19's, starting the under 19's in May or June and the under 17's in July, a lot of good players missed this competition due to pre seasons, even if some of those players will be loaned to other clubs after their pre seasons.

What is more important, doing a pre season at professional level or play this type of tournaments?

Classical Mechanic

UEFA should trade the under 17's with the under 19's, starting the under 19's in May or June and the under 17's in July, a lot of good players missed this competition due to pre seasons, even if some of those players will be loaned to other clubs after their pre seasons.

What is more important, doing a pre season at professional level or play this type of tournaments?
It’s idocy really. No doubt it will be changed soon.

England’s situation was compounded by the Premier League being so heavily represented in the latter stages of the World Cup. It opened up lots of spaces in pre-season camps.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Beating the English 5-0 is always pleasant :smirk:

I didn't watch Italy but considering they rarely give a chance to youth early we may have the experience advantage.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Beating the English 5-0 is always pleasant :smirk:

I didn't watch Italy but considering they rarely give a chance to youth early we may have the experience advantage.
They have some interesting players but I suspect they only finished on first because Portugal saw a red card vs them and played 80 minutes 10 vs 11, quite frankly would be suprised 11 vs 11 Italy winning, but we never know.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
They have some interesting players but I suspect they only finished on first because Portugal saw a red card vs them and played 80 minutes 10 vs 11, quite frankly would be suprised 11 vs 11 Italy winning, but we never know.
I hope so. We may meet in the final, Ukraine is an unflashy, surprisingly effective and solid side but probably beatable.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I hope so. We may meet in the final, Ukraine is an unflashy, surprisingly effective and solid side but probably beatable.
Don't know, we are missing some important players, looking at their results its fair to say it won't be easy.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They sit in and play on the break but they have a couple of good attacking players when they do. France had a player sent off against them though.
Always a mix between Shakthar and Dynamo Kiev players, their problem always comes for the future to reach another level, be it for lack of oportunities at Shakthar or Dynamo Kiev players staying there for too long, when they leave for Western Europe they simply don't adapt to the demands of top leagues.

jesperjaap

Well I have always thought when I watch the U21s Euros you can see why the England team has struggled as most of our best players are missing. I get the importance of club football but your mention of Hudson Odoi is a rare one. Half the time our young players are involved in friendlies for experience or like now when senior players are missing. The likes of Gomes would have gained more in my opinion playing in these tournaments than 20mins here and there in America.

Classical Mechanic

Always a mix between Shakthar and Dynamo Kiev players, their problem always comes for the future to reach another level, be it for lack of oportunities at Shakthar or Dynamo Kiev players staying there for too long, when they leave for Western Europe they simply don't adapt to the demands of top leagues.
They like their home comforts. They are good at producing solid players but players with that extra bit of quality seems to be rare.

Well I have always thought when I watch the U21s Euros you can see why the England team has struggled as most of our best players are missing. I get the importance of club football but your mention of Hudson Odoi is a rare one. Half the time our young players are involved in friendlies for experience or like now when senior players are missing. The likes of Gomes would have gained more in my opinion playing in these tournaments than 20mins here and there in America.
I agree on Gomes but he’s fallen behind the likes of Sessegnon, Sancho, Mount, Foden, Gibbs-White and Hudson Odoi etc who have all been much more involved in first team football. The likes of Reece James and Jon Panzo have new clubs to settle into which is why I was surprised Chalobah turned up because he does too. The Chalobah brothers seem to prioritise international football though. I though someone like Greenwood could have gone too.

I’m not sure what Brewster, Latibeaudiere, Mceachran and Guehi are up to though because I don’t think they’re away with their clubs.

It difficult though because Curtis Jones has caught the eye in Liverpool’s preseason so he might get into Klopp’s thoughts, that’s the gamble they take.

They should play this competition at the start of the summer as @SCP says, then none of this would be an issue.

jesperjaap

They like their home comforts. They are good at producing solid players but players with that extra bit of quality seems to be rare.

I agree on Gomes but he’s fallen behind the likes of Sessegnon, Sancho, Mount, Foden, Gibbs-White and Hudson Odoi etc who have all been much more involved in first team football. The likes of Reece James and Jon Panzo have new clubs to settle into which is why I was surprised Chalobah turned up because he does too. The Chalobah brothers seem to prioritise international football though. I though someone like Greenwood could have gone too.

I’m not sure what Brewster, Latibeaudiere, Mceachran and Guehi are up to though because I don’t think they’re away with their clubs.

It difficult though because Curtis Jones has caught the eye in Liverpool’s preseason so he might get into Klopp’s thoughts, that’s the gamble they take.

They should play this competition at the start of the summer as @SCP says, then none of this would be an issue.
Well some of those players are all good enough for the U21 rather than U19, just mentioned Gomes as a name as relevant with his cameos ont he tour when he is better than the options that played in the Euros. just being general, these players will benefit far more from playing for there country than these tours. Only exceptions possibly are Sancho and Sessegnon as they are first team starters for there clubs

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Norway qualified to the next under 20 WC. Fair to say it looks Portugal will make their third Final since 2014 and 4th time they reach the last 4. Not bad.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Portugal 5 Ukraine 0. Hopefully Abel starts looking on a different way to Trincão at Braga, if not in 1 or 2 years he will be shipped to Wolves.

Classical Mechanic

Hard to know what to make of England's efforts. 20 withdrawals left us with some unfamiliar faces out there and some that proved to be out of their depth. If only we could have beaten Ukraine we would have qualified for the WC in 2019.

nooshka

So does the Norway result mean England have no other way of qualifying for the under 20 World Cup?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Incredible how France failed to score with all those chances but credit to Italy for their win in typical italian style.